• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

lionelhutz

Here is my setup. Nothing has really changed since last year except my work space. The living room components are as follows:

Sony KDS-50A3000
Denon 3808 (wired to my router for streaming music/FW updates)
XBox 360 - 60GB
PS3 - 60 GB
Yamaha Towers
Sony Surround Kit (Rears/Center) - This is a really old kit from when I was a kid. It's good enough for now but I'd like to upgrade all of my speakers at some point.
Rocketfish Wireless System- Again, it's good enough for now until I can permanately mount my rear speakers.

24dngjn.jpg

4rs5xl.jpg

2u8j6er.jpg

2rn7u53.jpg

My work space is the only thing that's new. I finally got around to getting a desk and leather chair. The end laptops are for work. The laptop in the corner is my Macbook Pro, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 15". Next to it are my iPhone and Shuffle. The guitar on the stand is a Taylor 310.

2lm9x1v.jpg

2mx0eb5.jpg

This last pic is one I snapped off my balcony. My living room and balcony face a wooded area which is nice in summer.

rclqur.jpg

If you have any suggestions on the setup let me know. My rear speakers are probably my biggest gripe. If there are any ideas for positioning the speakers let me know. I want to add a universal remote and subwoofer at some point so any tips on those would be good too. I also don't have much on the wall which I'd like to change this year. If there are good places to get some art work send me some links.

carlosp

Banned
.hacked said:
img_4236493.jpg

about the same as last year.

such a awesome TV. For one second i really thought it was a picture frame with a poster but then i realized it is your TV. Don't Waste your TV with such crap games :lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
lionelhutz said:
If you have any suggestions on the setup let me know. My rear speakers are probably my biggest gripe. If there are any ideas for positioning the speakers let me know.

Why did you block out the serial number on your guitar....

Anyway for the rear speakers, you could do what I did and put a console table behind the couch and then set your rear speakers on it (I'm also using a Rocketfish wireless unit). We actually couldn't find a console table that was tall enough so we ended up getting a bookcase. From the top it looks like a table, but you can also move the couch out of the way and use it for storage, which is really nice.

Although it looks like you've got a whole glass and steel look going on, which makes it harder to hide wires and such. Anyway just throwing the idea out there.

Well are some crappy pics of my current set-up. Not much has change other than the fact that I replaced my broken PS3 with the Samsung BD-P1500 and got rid of the Wii.

IMGP0377.jpg

IMGP0387.jpg

Now that I got a new video card that has an HDMI output I have everything running into my receiver, so no more PC speakers. I also added a Blu-Day/HD-DVD combo ROM to my PC (so the external HD-DVD ROM is gone), 4GBs of RAM (about to isntall Vista 64-bit in a couple of days).

IMGP0391.jpg

My next step is to get a new flat panel TV in my bedroom that's at least 40-42", something that will look better with my PC connected to it, probably something 1080p even though it will make my older systems look worse... I had planned on doing this before the end of the year but unexpected bullshit ended up costing all the money that was going towards that.

Also nothing has changed in the retro room...

IMGP0260.jpg

lionelhutz

Borgnine said:
Why did you block out the serial number on your guitar....

Anyway for the rear speakers, you could do what I did and put a console table behind the couch and then set your rear speakers on it (I'm also using a Rocketfish wireless unit). We actually couldn't find a console table that was tall enough so we ended up getting a bookcase. From the top it looks like a table, but you can also move the couch out of the way and use it for storage, which is really nice.

Although it looks like you've got a whole glass and steel look going on, which makes it harder to hide wires and such. Anyway just throwing the idea out there.

I blocked it because it's registered to me. I haven't had much luck finding a bookcase so I don't know if that'll work. The glass/steel look can go at anytime. I bought the tables in a set because it was inexpensive. If I found new tables at a reasonable price I'd have my current set on on Craigslist.

.hacked

carlosp said:
such a awesome TV. For one second i really thought it was a picture frame with a poster but then i realized it is your TV. Don't Waste your TV with such crap games :lol

picked it up today for $10, not to bad for that price :D

Update: using 800 pixel picts instead of 400. Hope this is ok.

Hmm, I just snapped these picts a few minutes ago and realized since the sun was down the rooms are rather dark. So apologies for not providing super crisp well lit pictures -- I'm kind of a klutz with cameras.

Basement is my man cave -- made up of a (small) home theater, a work out area, pool table and a 'dorm room' which I keep all my boxes/posters in, along with an older CRT TV and my non-current gen game systems.

Home Theater Room (+ media bookshelf) (sorry for the darkness of this room)
Mitsubishi WD-73833
Pioneer VSX 1018AH
M&K speakers -- S-125 (Center, FR, FL, BR, BL) S-80 (CRL, CRR) and M&K V-125 THX Subwoofer
Xbox 360 (Halo Edition) + HD-DVD player
PS3 (60gb BC)
Wii (launch system)
Dish Network 722
HTmost.JPG

HTtv.JPG

MediaTop.JPG

MediaBottom.JPG

Basement Hallway to the 'Dorm Room' (filled with books/toys) followed by the Dorm Room itself and finally the pool table area (with subtle hints which university I got my degree from).
Books2Dorm.JPG

DoorSystems.JPG

DormLeft.JPG

DormRight.JPG

PoolTable.JPG

Living Room (main floor)
Sony KP-57HW40
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3 (20gb w/ BC)
Wii (in the cabinet not visible) -- currently playing Rayman Raving Rabids
Dish Network 622
LivingRoom.JPG

Master Bedroom
Dynex 37" 720p LCD
Xbox 360 (original Pro)
Wii (Animal Crossing and Wii Fit system)
Dish Network 622
Bedroom.JPG

Finally this is my office -- first picture is my desk (work laptop and gaming PC + PSP games). Second picture contains my n-1 PC that my daughters play WoW on (they are not allowed to play WoW on the computers in their rooms)(note they also have the DS collection). Sorry the girls' desk is so messy, I thought about cleaning it but decided not to. The bedroom 360 use to be in this room but got moved when we upgraded TVs. At some point this year I'll probably pick up a Jasper for the office again.
OfficeRight.JPG

OfficeLeft.JPG

Wow, that took much longer to post than expected. The rooms aren't as crisp/clean as other GAFers, but honestly I think it's pretty good for a guy with a family!

LoveAndBeer, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but would you be willing to link to bigger pictures?

you have an awesome setup, btw.

Tabris

_RT_ said:
I have them connected to my Onkyo TX-SR705. I love them.
Great choice.

Are they powerful enough? Did you also purchase the speaker stands? If so, do they look as good in real life as in those pictures? Did the box come with decent speaker wire, I wouldn't mind updating my speaker wire. If so, are they long cables?

xS1TH L0RDx said:
LoveAndBeer, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but would you be willing to link to bigger pictures?

you have an awesome setup, btw.
I'll update the pictures to be 800 wide instead of 400 wide.

Tabris said:
Just make them line by line instead when you change them to 800x600 cause horizontal scrolling is annoying.
Yup, ended up doing that, they should be spaced single file now.

Tabris

LoveAndBeer said:
I'll update the pictures to be 800 wide instead of 400 wide. Hopefully that doesn't screw up anyone's h-scroll too bad.

Just make them line by line instead when you change them to 800x600 cause horizontal scrolling is annoying.

Chittagong

Gold Member
btf1980 said:
Mid century modern furniture is expensive. If you think Chittas lamp is expensive, then you don't want to know what he paid for his Barcelona chair. I used to date a girl that worked at DWR (Design Within Reach) http://www.dwr.com and I got some stuff from her. Barcelona chairs are cool, but kind of lost their favor with me since every Tom, Dick and Harry has one, and they have been counterfeited like crazy. The only mid-century piece I have now is a Nelson bench.

One way to view it is that I buy an item or two of furniture every 5 years or so. Each time I do, I try to get something that will last for life. An example is the Alvar Aalto dining table and chairs. They are my mom's originally, from the 70s. Thirty years old, and look still as fresh as ever.

If you buy that 2K lamp, it's probably going to cost you less than your plasma, your gaming rig or your laptop. The difference is that in ten years, all of that stuff is gone. Your lamp will be worth exactly what you bought it for, and look brilliant.

Well, that's my philosophy at least.

OT - One item which I would have really wanted to get is the Maurice Calka "Boomerang" table from the 1960s. It was the item that inspired so much of the futurist style embraced by people ranging from Stanley Kubrick to Eero Aarnio. The problem is that only 30 or so have been ever produced, and not by a long running furniture company. Most of their paper trails go cold at early 1980s so you have no way of knowing if you have a genuine item - which you want to have at the price. A shop near us have still one, but they couldn't produce the documentation.

boomerang_desk.jpg

Tabris

Chittagong, I would really love your opinion on how I can improve my setup as you have my personal favorite setup (there's some minor things I don't like, like your couches aren't my style but they do look very comfortable, but in general, yours is probabaly best setup except when that the_force guy posted here).

Also do we have the same TV stand?

EDIT - Here's a link to probabaly my favorite setup. Only thing I don't like is how he has the tv/audio stands setup. It's a weird leveled setup.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/520886-my-little-effort.html

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tabris said:
Chittagong, I would really love your opinion on how I can improve my setup as you have my personal favorite setup (there's some minor things I don't like, like your couches aren't my style but they do look very comfortable, but in general, yours is probabaly best setup except when that the_force guy posted here).

Also do we have the same TV stand?

Thanks. Overall I think your setup is really nice, very much to my taste. I wouldn't change a lot. Here is what I'd maybe do.

- Hardwood floors. I do realize however that if you are renting like I am currently, that might not be an option. But if the place is yours, go for it. It's the single biggest impact change you can do.

- White walls. You have the luxury of having a really nice, well lit space. White makes the most of it. Naturally same caveat as with floors in case you are renting.

- Sofas. In sofas we probably just have a different taste. In Finland we have been conditioned against comfy leather sofas once the new middle class went comfy leather sofa crazy in mid 80s. But check Innovation sofas just in case. They are very affordable and look fantastic. You can customize too, and they turn into beds.

Other than that, I would not touch really anything furniture wise.

TV stand - I think you have a superior one with the opening doors. Mine has got drawers so I can't put consoles inside, it's a Finnish one from Muurame. How does the 360 not overheat there btw?

EDIT - OMG @ link you posted. That's my new inspiration. Once I move back to Finland and get to build my own place. So bookmarked.

Tabris

I unfortunately am renting as I completly would do both hardwood floors and white walls! So we are definitely thinking on the same wave length there.

As for my sofa's, I am looking to possibly replace my couches. The issue I have is I have 2 that are both leather. I can't just replace one as then I would have fabric and leather and that would just look weird. So I have to save up enough money to replace both with something that will last me 5+ years. I do like a couch that has more straight lines though.

As for the 360, there's a lot of open room in the back for air to get in. It has a look where the back is half covered from the bottom up then slightly deeper inside the other half is covered from top down. So you can't see any of the devices but there's ton of room for cables (helps not to have your power adapter on the carpet as it's actually on the inside. Maybe I'm just lucky also.

70" sony SXRD KDS-70XBR2, denon 3808ci, JBL northridge speakers, PS3, 360, wii, HTPC. the only thing new here the motorola dch3416. i still plan to do an ND filter mod to the SXRD this month.
3174632936_a9e41e990e_o.jpg

rock band 2 drums, GH3 and GHWT guitars are in the corner
3173796547_8ee8e6d677_o.jpg

under tables are a logitech dinovo edge 2 and charger for HTPC, PS3/USB charger, laptop charger, wiimote charger, 360 battery pack charger
3174661200_2d55d32f11_o.jpg

poker tables
3174633194_58403cbb69_o.jpg

office
3173796321_28ac0811b8_o.jpg

new: 22" hp w2207h, 32" samsung ln32a450, hp laptop
3174632720_13699fb9d5_o.jpg

LiK

lionelhutz said:
I bought it at OfficeMax. It's the Sharper Image "L" desk. If you watch the weekly papers you should be able to find it on sale.

nice, i'll need to check that out.

btw LoveAndBear, can i come over and hang out? ;)

Mik2121

scissorfight said:
70" sony SXRD KDS-70XBR2, denon 3808ci, JBL northridge speakers, PS3, 360, wii, HTPC. the only thing new here the motorola dch3416. i still plan to do an ND filter mod to the SXRD this month.
3174632936_a9e41e990e_o.jpg

new: 22" hp w2207h, 32" samsung ln32a450, hp laptop
3174632720_13699fb9d5_o.jpg

I love these two pics, specially the second one!. I MUST have an office like that someday!.

_RT_

Tabris said:
Are they powerful enough? Did you also purchase the speaker stands? If so, do they look as good in real life as in those pictures? Did the box come with decent speaker wire, I wouldn't mind updating my speaker wire. If so, are they long cables?

Definitely powerful enough.
I didn't purchase the stands. I have the front 3 mounted to the wall. Going to mount the rears to the wall as well.
I'm using the wire that came with them, but when I upgrade the setup and run wire in the wall, I am going to upgrade it.
They should be long enough for most setups.

Hope that helps. :D

Burger

It's my first time, go easy.

Also, please note that this is my ROOM, I live in a flat, and this is really my living area, my lounge and all other parts of the house are not worth photos. Excuse the hospital green, it's not my house and I cannot paint the room.

Anyways, you can see the PS3, 360, Sharp 40"LCD, shitty Sony receiver and a pair of B&W DM308's.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

Burger

gigapower said:
Love the ALIENS poster, been trying to find that print lately with no go without someone wanting way too much for it.

I got both of those from allposters.com for like 20 bucks. The frames were custom made with glass fronts, the Aliens poster had to be matted slightly to make both frames the same sizes, getting that done cost a bunch but the posters themselves were cheap.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Awesome setup scissorfight. I remember seeing your posts on avsfourms. To think you modeled your whole basement alone is amazing. Nice work!

Ermac said:
Awesome setup scissorfight. I remember seeing your posts on avsfourms. To think you modeled your whole basement alone is amazing. Nice work!
thanks. it was a ton of work to finish the basement myself, but it was rewarding and i learned a ton. i updated my avs progress thread with some bar pics which i left out here since they're not really part of the 'gaming setup'. kegerator conversion is next which should be fun.

Haklong

Here is the basement setup:

PanasonicTH-65PZ750U
PioneerVSX-92TXH setup for 7.1 surround sound.
Martin Logan Vignette for Center Channel
Martin Logan Mosaic for fronts.
2 in ceiling Focal speakers for surrounds
2 Mirage Omnisat v2 for surround rears.
Velodyne VRP subwoofer.

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Pool table area

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Games and DVD. A real mess right now.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

The family room which has the Pioneer Elite set. It has a 5.1 setup with in wall speakers. Everything is hooked up to a nuvo system so I can play music throughout the house. One room can listen to the radio while another to an ipod while the family room watches a DVD in 5.1.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

GFord

Chittagong said:
First pictures of my new London setup.

Living room. Sony 52X2000 1080P LCD TV. Xbox 360. PlayStation 3. Sony 5300ES receiver. Usher S-520 speakers and Usher subwoofer. Speaker stands Custom Design UK. Sofa "Togo" by Ligne Rose. Lamp "Arco" by Flos. Table from Innovation, Denmark. TV stand by Muurame. Art by Patrick Thomas.

3107799132_87f52fa3c5.jpg

Dining. MacBook Pro 15" unibody. Alvar Aalto table and chairs from Artek. Carpet by Woodnotes.

3106968683_19be020d81.jpg

3106971555_81935f8c1d.jpg

Wall. Invader art.

3107800622_a320d9037d.jpg

Kitchen. MacBook Air with Spore.

3107801232_a3836b612c.jpg

Bedroom. PSP-2000 series. Nintendo DS lite. Bed by Innovation, Denmark. Night tables by BoConcept. Wall art by Threadless in Supernice.

3107797378_622d72956a.jpg

Lounge wall. Bioshock figure. iPod 60GB. Soundstick II speakers Harman-Kardon. Cupboards by Muurame. Wall art by Supernice.

3106970885_55d0648c4c.jpg

Lounge. Wii. Samsung 720P LCD TV. Table by Skanno. Sofa by Innovation, Denmark. Beanbags by Innovation, Denmark. "Barcelona" chair by Knoll. Footrest by Woodnotes.

3106967387_744985d168.jpg

3107798074_75c916c19f.jpg

Just from your furniture alone Chittagong, it's obvious you've got money. I mean Ligne Rose sofa, authentic Alvar Aalto table and chair's by Artek and authentic Barcelona chair by Knoll.

Top Bottom