• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

Threi

notag
GameGamer said:
Aren't those speakers slowly warping your set?
It does cause magnetic interference for all my other CRT sets, but that one strangely doesn't get affected.

I don't really get it either.

karasu

Minotauro said:
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of these super-modern-looking apartments? I mean, sure, they're stylish and clean but I wouldn't be able to relax in one. They look like they belong in a museum...a cold, boring museum. I guess I could see how you might want your living area to look like that for guests but as a place for general leisure, they seem ill-suited.

It's far superior to buying a bunch of shelves and turning your living room into a replica of Gamestop.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
karasu said:
It's far superior to buying a bunch of shelves and turning your living room into a replica of Gamestop.

Well, there's a happy medium somewhere.

And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have my gaming setup in my living room in the first place.

Syntek

Minotauro said:
Well, there's a happy medium somewhere.

And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have my gaming setup in my living room in the first place.
Choices are slim with apartments. Between the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and bedroom, the living room makes the most sense...for most people I think.

eniamor

Neo Member
I'm a fan of these setups. Gives me ideas for the future when I have my own house and design my own setup.

LoveAndBeer so far i'm a fan of yours.

Hope to see more. Keep 'em coming.

OnPoint

Question Regarding Handhelds

I'm a pretty big supporter of having my handhelds on display, and I'd like stands for them. I also like them to double as charging docks, though it's not required. I have a DSPhat (Platnium), a DSLite (Zelda edition), PSP Fatty, and PSP Slim 2000 (silver).

I've looked into it, but I haven't found anything that's exactly pumped me up. Do you guys know any that are stylish, or have any home-made suggestions or ideas?

todahawk

lowrider007 said:
n15bnc.jpg

14sf613.jpg

Nothing amazing compared to alot of peoples set-ups on here but here you go, my little den.

I like your setup a lot. Very cozy feel to it. The framed artwork helps too. :)

My setup is ghetto and I used a shitty camera. I guess this is a case of.. something is better than nothing.. maybe!

Yeah, in this picture.. I have one back speaker on a stool, and the other on my computer desk. They're both ear level and face me when I play games.. yeah. I know, it's really ghetto. I also have committed the sin of having my PS3 on the carpet. Shame on me. The beam of light radiating from my monitor is GAF. OH! And the PSX game next to the speaker is Final Fantasy VIII.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

The shitty TV. It's almost dead, need a new one. Yeah.. I know the speakers are still ghetto.. but they SOUND really good!

DSCF0003-3.jpg

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
DarknessTear said:
My setup is ghetto and I used a shitty camera. I guess this is a case of.. something is better than nothing.. maybe!

Yeah, in this picture.. I have one back speaker on a stool, and the other on my computer desk. They're both ear level and face me when I play games.. yeah. I know, it's really ghetto. I also have committed the sin of having my PS3 on the carpet. Shame on me. The beam of light radiating from my monitor is GAF. OH! And the PSX game next to the speaker is Final Fantasy VIII.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

The shitty TV. It's almost dead, need a new one. Yeah.. I know the speakers are still ghetto.. but they SOUND really good!

DSCF0003-3.jpg

Man, now I can't unsee you sitting in that room whenever I see you're online playing COD4 :lol

btf1980

Minotauro said:
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of these super-modern-looking apartments? I mean, sure, they're stylish and clean but I wouldn't be able to relax in one. They look like they belong in a museum...a cold, boring museum. I guess I could see how you might want your living area to look like that for guests but as a place for general leisure, they seem ill-suited.

I don't understand, why can't you sit down on a modern chair and relax? Ever sat in a Barcelona chair? It's awesome. I see people say this all the time, but when you sit on mid century modern furniture, you'll understand that it goes beyond looks for the most part. It's a combination of looks, functionality, comfort and minimalism.

I like a lot of the mid century modern lounge chairs and sofas. My favorite has to be the Bibendum chair by Eileen Gray. It's one of the pieces that has not been faked to death like the Barcelona and Eames lounge chair.

Links to larger picture. As you can see, there's nothing stylish or clean about it. My place is well-organized, but still well-used and sloppy. I look forward to gasping reactions to the visible cables (oh my god!). :D

Tabris

Leondexter said:

Links to larger picture. As you can see, there's nothing stylish or clean about it. My place is well-organized, but still well-used and sloppy. I look forward to gasping reactions to the visible cables (oh my god!). :D

With 1 hour of time (maybe 2 hours for that mess), some zip ties, some cable covers (cheap you can get from a lot of office supply stores or online for cheap) and this setup would be PIMP.

I would be really interested if someone took this advice and posted their after pictures so we can see the improvements.

Tabris said:
With 1 hour of time (maybe 2 hours for that mess), some zip ties, some cable covers (cheap you can get from a lot of office supply stores or online for cheap) and this setup would be PIMP.

I would be really interested if someone took this advice and posted their after pictures so we can see the improvements.

No, I'm afraid not. It needs a lot more work than that. The problem is that many of these cables barely reach to the switchboxes (under the TV on the right). Combine that with so many of them being custom cables, and I'm looking at a bunch of composite/component and S-video extensions to hook them up without the cables hanging or stretched at odd angles. Either that, or moving the switchboxes out among the consoles.

Either way, I just don't care enough to do it. Cables don't bother me (and you don't even see the ones going back and forth from my PC in this picture). My setup is "pimp" anyway, by the simple virtue of having all 700+ of my games available to play at any time. :)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
btf1980 said:
I don't understand, why can't you sit down on a modern chair and relax? Ever sat in a Barcelona chair? It's awesome. I see people say this all the time, but when you sit on mid century modern furniture, you'll understand that it goes beyond looks for the most part. It's a combination of looks, functionality, comfort and minimalism.

I like a lot of the mid century modern lounge chairs and sofas. My favorite has to be the Bibendum chair by Eileen Gray. It's one of the pieces that has not been faked to death like the Barcelona and Eames lounge chair.

For the record, I've never sat in one of the aforementioned chairs. At the same time, it's got zero to do with how comfortable they may or may not be. It's the whole aesthetic I take issue with. There's a sterility and uniformity to modern design that I find off-putting. Like, I would never be able to shake the thought that I'm going to spill my drink or knock something out of alignment or something.

Admittedly, I'm probably one of the most anal-retentive people you will ever meet and this is a subjective thing in the first place so YMMV.

I'm going to post a picture of my setup either today or in the next few days and I'm sure as someone minimalisticly-minded, you find the clutter unnerving.

My setup is partially ghetto and partially expensive, due to my low-funded student life. I do have a seperate gaming room now, and have moved my bedroom entirely into the smaller spare room - what was my bedroom is now a gaming room:

sofa.jpg

tv2.jpg

tv1.jpg

samus.jpg

sonic.jpg

chief.jpg

tv3.jpg

controllerbin.jpg

dalekamp.jpg

pcsetup1.jpg

pcsetup2.jpg

dvds.jpg

gamecab.jpg

I don't have that much space in there but I've manged to make the best of it, especially by putting stuff that only gets used when I have company like the Rock Band/GH gear and whatnot into storage in other parts of the house. Even the real guitars have gone from this room. All that remains are the electric drums, which will eventually get moved to another room with my acoustic kit.

For the sake of musical e-peen also, here is my baby:
drums1.jpg

drums4.jpg

I don't have any pictures of my 42" lcd, but here is a picture of most of my console games after I loaded them into the cabinet my gf got me for xmas :D

2uj6q2g.jpg

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
My setup.

3220847837_7244143819.jpg

3220848773_d9bd41b01a.jpg

PS3 and Wii in the living room.

3221700378_b42a2c4bc6.jpg

3220850457_f7bc6eb0ca.jpg

3221701624_cc4f7df172.jpg

3221702120_574ed9ccab.jpg

Office closet. We currently don't use the office for anything other than storage. Getting new furniture and the like this year to make it a "gaming/work" room. Excuse the shakiness of the camera. I took these right before running off to work.

3220852049_efd9a66b98.jpg

3221703180_a27dabc518.jpg

3221703692_a77a3a6c52.jpg

3221704226_6f6c279aa4.jpg

Jefklak

Drastic change since last year since I moved. Pictures almost sponsored by Ikea :D

Top view:

Overexposured Wii still connected to my Dell 22" widescreen.
Don't mind the mop, I've had some troubles with water leaking at the big window.

Right view:

Do notice the ultracool Gameboy Micro 20yr Mario anniv. import. (I live in Yurop)
It's difficult to see, but cube and NDS/PSP games are on the top left shelves.

Left view:

What can I say, Lucas Arts rocks! (or rocked?)
All PC games displayed here, with NWN/BG2 posters and stuff.

Before anyone asks: nope, no TV, never needed one won't be needing one now.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Obviously not my gaming setup - but its one I use probably more frequently than my setup at home :p

theater_1.jpg

theater_2.jpg

theater_3.jpg

Quick Specs:

JVA DLA-RS2 Projector
1.3 gain ~130" Stewart screen
JBL Synthesis w/ Audyssey EQ + 7.1 JBLs (although I guess you could call it 9.2 due to the 2 sets of sides + 2 subs? :p)
Multiple 360s / PS3s + PC controlled via an XLobby w/ 10" touch screen (screw Crestron!)
Everything wired up via HDMI 1080p through a DVDO Scaler

Woffls

Hi-res here
Can't see it, but there's a 5.1 system there too, as well as some hifi speakers behind the curtain.
Umm, specifics, Yamaha VX359 5.1 amp, Tannoy FX5.1 100w per channel. hifi's are pioneer somethingorother. TV is a Sony Bravia 40V4000 (33k, 1080p). PC has an E6600, 8800GT, 1.75tb & 4x1gb PC6400 @ 800mhz.

3196959535_eb4ef4962f.jpg

3196960277_b2935303bc.jpg

3196961147_420a035ccc.jpg

3196958825_5766853336.jpg

Nothing aesthetically new.
But I got a new toy now :D:D

BK_Front.jpg

B&K Reference 200.7 Amp
Thing is a freakin beast. 83lbs! 200wpc. Best upgrade I've done and my most favorite.

BK_Rear.jpg

Rear

Did some wire/cabling management.
rearCables.jpg

rearClose.jpg

bedroom.jpg

Bedroom
-Paradigm Titans, Marantz receiver, Sony cd player
This was a downgrade from a Grand Integra pre-amp and a Carver amp :(:(:(

and heres old pics of the main setup
IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

buffi

Banned
_dementia said:
The Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou poster is possibly more valuable than everything else in the room combined.

ZNA3Wq.jpg

I have an Ibara poster somewhere as well...
(this picture is really old and taken with another camera, which explains the difference in quality since I don't own that camera any more)

Valkyr Junkie said:
Details on that speaker wiring? It comes sleeved like that? Pretty slick looking with the banana plugs attached.

I made these my own and its nothing hard to do.

-Tributaries speaker wire
-Tributaries banana plugs
-Techflex sleeving (IIRC, 1/2")
-Heatshrink (1/4")

really easy to do. I also plan on doing my own Interconnects.

Giant Robot said:
I made these my own and its nothing hard to do.

-Tributaries speaker wire
-Tributaries banana plugs
-Techflex sleeving (IIRC, 1/2")
-Heatshrink (1/4")

really easy to do. I also plan on doing my own Interconnects.

<3

That gives me some ideas for when I re-do my wiring when I move into a new place.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I'm shooting for the most improved award right now.

BEFORE
20-year old Hitachi television (I think it's 20"?)
Crappy old speakers
Standard Analog Cable
gamingsetup001.jpg

AFTER
Samsung 52" LCD (LN52A650)
Onkyo HT S6100 Surround Sound System (Onkyo 606 receiver, Setup as 5.1)
Now with XBOX 360
Tritton AX360 5.1 Gaming headphones /w headset
HD Digital Cable
0210092312b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality on the second pic, my old camera died.

Treo360

bad-joey said:
holy crap, two mac pro's and two wacoms?
nice stuff you have there.

Yeah, there's a third one in there however I'm in the middle of getting the floor torn up and redone and then trying to figure out my wire management.

Also there is no need to run the heat in the Winter in that room, in fact I have to open the window a bit as it can get quite toasty in there.

pj

Banned
9k1egn.jpg

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE w/ deluxe stands, HK AVR254

6y13ti.jpg

HSU Research VTF2-MK3. I think I should have got the big one..

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
DKo5 said:
Obviously not my gaming setup - but its one I use probably more frequently than my setup at home :p

theater_1.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/DKo5/theater_2.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/DKo5/theater_3.jpg

Quick Specs:

JVA DLA-RS2 Projector
1.3 gain ~130" Stewart screen
JBL Synthesis w/ Audyssey EQ + 7.1 JBLs (although I guess you could call it 9.2 due to the 2 sets of sides + 2 subs? :p)
Multiple 360s / PS3s + PC controlled via an XLobby w/ 10" touch screen (screw Crestron!)
Everything wired up via HDMI 1080p through a DVDO Scaler

Sweet Jesus.

Syntek said:
Thanks. The place is in Vancouver, just moved in recently. I like your setup a lot, so I'm actually trying to go for a similar design/color scheme. It's not a particularly spacious apt, but as others pointed out, the view helps a lot...as long as I keep the number of furniture pieces down to a minimum.

Welcome to the city.

qob0o5.jpg

360 with 120gb hdd
wii
60gb PS3
PSP
SNES Mini
37" Dynex LCD TV (you're all jealous, admit it)
games and such
2 drawers full of crap (controllers and stuff)
ugly cables everywhere
Comcast DVR cable box thing that sucks

not pictured are a bunch of things (all my other handhelds and other classic consoles)

SNES looks surprisingly good on the Dynex LCD.

Dreweyes

This is our living room:

SDC12461.jpg

Notice the LARPing weapons in the corner exclusively for drunk fighting goodness. :lol
SDC12480.jpg

From Metal Gear Solid 4 down and the whole right shelf is my collection.
(You can notice I have quite a nice Criterion dvd collection, from the right shelf top row down to half way in the first block.)
The middle shelf is my girlfriends collection.
The left shelf is my roommates collection.
SDC12474.jpg

Our bikes.
The green japanese one is my roommates.
The ruby red middle bike is my 81' French Motobecane.
The back bike is my girlfriends Claud Butler Electron from the 60's.
SDC12476.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I have a crappy cam, but...

Why did no one tell me FLCL looks fucking awesome on an HDTV!?
(using PS3 to upscale @1080p)

IMG_5010c.jpg

this was like in late 2007:
IMG_3715.jpg

I try to fight the clutter bug in me i swear!

Top Bottom