• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PowerUp 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 13-15

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Guys, play Vampire Savior.

It's a good game.
I'll hop on the GGPO room in a little if anyone wants some games. Got to take care of a few quick things for work first.

Spoiler: Solarpowered is actually pretty free to flowchart Hsien-ko.

awesomemorrigan.jpg

They are running casuals right now. Mar vs Kajoq is pretty tense and high level.
I'll hop on the GGPO room in a little if anyone wants some games. Got to take care of a few quick things for work first.

Spoiler: Solarpowered is actually pretty free to flowchart Hsien-ko.
You played me months ago when I couldn't even pushblock or TRH. I expect things to play out a little differently this time lol.

Azure J

Aw man, I missed that much VS? :(

Streaming now. Also glad to see Enzo converted and posts from the VS club in here. Sup SolarP and Sixfortyfive. :p

Edit: That awesome Morrigan smiley is getting so much mileage after I used it for Final Round. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man I don't even have GGPO installed on this box yet.

Gimme a minute and I'll be in there mashing out magic series and shit. (I am so noob at this game.)

EDIT: I'm in there. Where you losers at?

Axis

always fun watching VS

more of you guys should play on GGPO if you're capable and really like the game...there's always games to be had in there ^_^

FREE

Dahbomb

I don't really know what to think of the whole SFxTekken situation. It really is one of those games that is more fun to play than it is to watch (where as Marvel at least at high level play is EXTREMELY stressful but fun to watch). Game is really made to be played with Gems and without it you are missing out on a core part of the game.

Beating the dead horse/10

The only thing I want out of PowerUp is if Big Marcus shows up he blows someone on stream with Firebrand unblockable set ups. Other than that, I don't expect this to be too hype of a tournament. I am actually more looking forward to Clockwork's tournament.

ismk

I don't really know what to think of the whole SFxTekken situation. It really is one of those games that is more fun to play than it is to watch (where as Marvel at least at high level play is EXTREMELY stressful but fun to watch). Game is really made to be played with Gems and without it you are missing out on a core part of the game.

Beating the dead horse/10

The only thing I want out of PowerUp is if Big Marcus shows up he blows someone on stream with Firebrand unblockable set ups. Other than that, I don't expect this to be too hype of a tournament. I am actually more looking forward to Clockwork's tournament.

I don't know about SFxT needing gems. It doesn't really bring anything amazing or anything different to the table and even with the tournament patch, it still a pain to select them.

Dahbomb

I don't know about SFxT needing gems. It doesn't really bring anything amazing or anything different to the table and even with the tournament patch, it still a pain to select them.
I would still like to see the technology and strategy the top players would employ using gems. Get some 90% welcome to USA combos going (non-infinite combos of course). Some gems give bonuses on blocking so it might help in dealing with the whole jab, jab, walk up, jab, jab non sense in the game.

Probably wishful thinking but it's still too early to write the game off IMO. And like stated before the game isn't really going anywhere until EVO so might as well put some effort into it.

joe2187

Banned
I'll agree that SFXT seems a little boring to watch, nothing really gets me too hype in that game. I

Does the stream drop off when AE comes on? I always saw the main event as being MVC, for crazy amounts of hype.

rCIZZLE

I'll agree that SFXT seems a little boring to watch, nothing really gets me too hype in that game. I

Does the stream drop off when AE comes on? I always saw the main event as being MVC, for crazy amounts of hype.

AE and MVC are usually about the same.

Grecco

Steve has an infinite if he has gems iirc. I think gems are unexplored right now. IT might really help the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did SFxT bomb sales wise?

Between 150 and 600K ish is what I recall from
NPDs. That's for only one region though, I'd say that's decent. Probably not up to expectations, but we'll only really know until we get total sales numbers.

Also, do stream viewers usually drop with SFxTK comes on? I'm genuinely curious who enjoys watching this stuff if even the SFxTK GAF community is bored to tears of if.

h3ro

At this point in it's life cycle since launch, I'd have to say that I have SFxT far down on the list of games I'd prefer to watch on stream.

1. Marvel
2. AE
3. Balrog Ball
4. KoF/Blazblue/GG (ST, VS as well)
5. SFxT

Is Stunfest already done with AE? If yes then I guess there will be no AE today, damn.

enzo, it sold over 230k at the very least. Even if we give it a optimistic number of 300k, that's very low compared to SF4 and Marvel 3 which had 849k and 798k each respectively. So that's a pretty sharp decline. But I don't think this means trouble for SF5 and Marvel 4 though. Those games will still sell fine IMO. I think it's just SFxT not having the kind of appeal they thought it would.

rCIZZLE

NPDs. That's for only one region though, I'd say that's decent. Probably not up to expectations, but we'll only really know until we get total sales numbers.

Also, do stream viewers usually drop with SFxTK comes on? I'm genuinely curious who enjoys watching this stuff if even the SFxTK GAF community is bored to tears of if.

I believe it dropped noticeably at NCR despite being the main game. It's just one of the worst tournament games ever. They can't make the timer longer and keep the rounds the same or it'd be too long. Now is obviously horrible. I wish it'd just die already lol.

I am. I enjoy playing it more. I feel like SFxT had the fundamentals of old games unlike UMVC3 and SF4.

Example...

In Marvel it was always a bad idea to raw tag (90% of the time).

What happens in UMVC3? Raw tags become an overhead and is viable 50% of the time.

In SF4 wake up DP is generally a bad idea.

What happens in SF4? Wake up DP becomes safe and even rather smart when you have meter to FADC.

In SFxT those general rules still apply. Wake up DP tag cancel isn't safe even though it may look like it, and raw tags leads to your character eating 50% damage.

So those old rule that I learned and grew up with still applies and therefor I enjoy playing it. Not only that but if you look at WNF, Big Two, NCR, TNT, and TX Showdown results you noticed that the players who ranked high all are known top players. No disrespect to anyone new but I just like that generally the better player usually wins.

WNF has been pretty much Justin, Floe, Marn, Clakey D, Marn, Mike Ross, Mike Watson, Snake Eyez, Alex Valle.

Big Two has been Chris G, Chris Hu, Dieminon, and Josh Wong when he came.

NCR top 15 out of the top 16 are notables names the only exception was pop187.

So that's my own reasons to why I enjoy SFxT.

I still would like to see gems being added and stages being shorter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am. I enjoy playing it more. I feel like SFxT had the fundamentals of old games unlike UMVC3 and SF4.

Example...

In Marvel it was always a bad idea to raw tag (90% of the time).

What happens in UMVC3? Raw tags become an overhead and is viable 50% of the time.

In SF4 wake up DP is generally a bad idea.

What happens in SF4? Wake up DP becomes safe and even rather smart when you have meter to FADC.

In SFxT those general rules still apply. Wake up DP tag cancel isn't safe even though it may look like it, and raw tags leads to your character eating 50% damage.

So those old rule that I learned and grew up with still applies and therefor I enjoy playing it. Not only that but if you look at WNF, Big Two, NCR, TNT, and TX Showdown results you noticed that the players who ranked high all are known top players. No disrespect to anyone new but I just like that generally the better player usually wins.

WNF has been pretty much Justin, Floe, Marn, Clakey D, Marn, Mike Ross, Mike Watson, Snake Eyez, Alex Valle.

Big Two has been Chris G, Chris Hu, Dieminon, and Josh Wong when he came.

NCR top 15 out of the top 16 are notables names the only exception was pop187.

So that's my own reasons to why I enjoy SFxT.

I still would like to see gems being added and stages being shorter.
I mean just spectating, I have no problem with people enjoying the game. It's just fundamentally unsuitable for spectating and no amount of patching can change that. Been over this in previous threads. There seems to be a decent consensus on it being a terrible spectator support, which is why I wonder who is actually watching this, especially with the divide it has had in the community beforehand.

Top Bottom