• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PowerUp 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 13-15

rCIZZLE

I mean just spectating, I have no problem with people enjoying the game. It's just fundamentally unsuitable for spectating and no amount of patching can change that. Been over this in previous threads. There seems to be a decent consensus on it being a terrible spectator support, which is why I wonder who is actually watching this, especially with the divide it has had in the community beforehand.

Exactly. I'm also tired of hearing about gems. It won't change anything. Now at the point where I just close stream whenever it's on. I don't want them to confuse my idling it as me being an interested viewer.

I mean just spectating, I have no problem with people enjoying the game. It's just fundamentally unsuitable for spectating and no amount of patching can change that. Been over this in previous threads. There seems to be a decent consensus on it being a terrible spectator support, which is why I wonder who is actually watching this, especially with the divide it has had in the community beforehand.

I still think shorter stage and gems can help speed it up a lot and that may lead to less boredom for viewers.

SFxT overall numbers are lower than SF4 and UMVC3, but it's not like it's anywhere near level of like MK9. It's still the 3rd highest even more than KOF.

Maybe it would be better to watch if the game had no rolls or if the rolls had a lot of recovery. One of the big issues with the game IMO is that after scoring knockdowns, you're stuck in a stupid guessing game and this basically means no mix ups or wake up pressure. From what I've seen, jump back into the cross up isn't ambiguous enough and most people know where to block. So if you force people to deal with wake up mix ups and pressure, it would create less time outs and maybe make the game more interesting.

rCIZZLE

Maybe it would be better to watch if the game had no rolls or if the rolls had a lot of recovery. One of the big issues with the game IMO is that after scoring knockdowns, you're stuck in a stupid guessing game and this basically means no mix ups or wake up pressure. From what I've seen, jump back into the cross up isn't ambiguous enough and most people know where to block. So if you force people to deal with wake up mix ups and pressure, it would create less time outs and maybe make the game more interesting.

In the interest of speeding it up, no recoverable life would be nice too.

I have no idea what happened.

It was during FGTV after they left Capcom HQ when Cross Assault was still going on. They had top players face each other for $1000 each I think. But yeah, everybody got to the FGTV house and called it THE BEST. Even I was starting to buy into it. I do like the game, but no way do I think it's that good. It did seem really good at first initially. Safe pressure, no more SF4 vortex, rewarded footsies, etc. All that seemed really great at first, but then we started noticing all these flaws as well.

Speaking of FGTV, was anybody just watching it. Champ just got very angry at one of his visitors(named Joel I think). The guy has been popping off all morning and then they got into some dispute lol.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I still think shorter stage and gems can help speed it up a lot and that may lead to less boredom for viewers.

SFxT overall numbers are lower than SF4 and UMVC3, but it's not like it's anywhere near level of like MK9. It's still the 3rd highest even more than KOF.

Alot of Gems negates other gems so just like the issues i have with alot of shooters these days, it becomes an annoying waste of time

Infinite

Again, nothing that will make a massive difference with the scaling already. Meter use is debatable, but I see no crazy reckless use of it either.

That's actually one of my issues with the game, the aggressive scaling but there's no reason for you to do less than optimal combos that would affect your damage further. idk.

People like those vortexes and comebacks more than they admit.

I can attest to this. People getting vortex'd = RAGE. People watching Poongko vortex his opponents with Seth = HYPE. Same goes for SRK, FADC, Ultra or whatever a character does that combos into Ultra. It makes for a more interesting spectator game even though if you're the guy that gets hit with it, you're just sitting there rolling your eyes thinking it's so bullshit.

I can attest to this. People getting vortex'd = RAGE. People watching Poongko vortex his opponents with Seth = HYPE. Same goes for SRK, FADC, Ultra or whatever a character does that combos into Ultra. It makes for a more interesting spectator game even though if you're the guy that gets hit with it, you're just sitting there rolling your eyes thinking it's so bullshit.

exactly. same goes for one touch kills in marvel on account of one mistaken input.

It kills me when people say stuff like that is derpy when it's the victim's fault.

Infinite

exactly. same goes for one touch kills in marvel on account of one mistaken input.

It kills me when people say stuff like that is derpy when it's the victim's fault.

I think that's just the nature of competition at times; people like to complain about shit instead of blaming themselves when they loose. The fact of the matter is those things exists in the game so if you don't do your shit you're gonna get exposed by it. I can understand complaining about certain characters vortexes though

I didn't even imply that lol but people aren't using their meter right and optimizing their damage regardless.

I really don't think that would help too much. People still need to hit confirm there combos. And that will mean ABC chains or a couple of light attacks into launcher or special moves. Those big damage combos that everybody has, just like in SF4, you won't find too many opportunities to use them. So unless you blow a lot of meter, you're stuck doing a lot of combos that does 300 damage, and you have to deal with two 1000 HP characters. So 300 damage isn't that much when you account for both characters.

Grecco

It was during FGTV after they left Capcom HQ when Cross Assault was still going on. They had top players face each other for $1000 each I think. But yeah, everybody got to the FGTV house and called it THE BEST. Even I was starting to buy into it. I do like the game, but no way do I think it's that good. It did seem really good at first initially. Safe pressure, no more SF4 vortex, rewarded footsies, etc. All that seemed really great at first, but then we started noticing all these flaws as well.

Speaking of FGTV, was anybody just watching it. Champ just got very angry at one of his visitors(named Joel I think). The guy has been popping off all morning and then they got into some dispute lol.

Eh what i meant was i dont know how this game went from THIS GAME IS SO GOOD BEST SINCE CVS2 ect to Shit game that Nobody wants to play. Its been out barely a month. Its incredible how the reaction to the game shifted so quickly.

Grecco

Did they have like 2 Marvel matches period? I looked at the stream and they finally had MArvel then i looked back and its MK9

sleepykyo

Again, nothing that will make a massive difference with the scaling already. Meter use is debatable, but I see no crazy reckless use of it either.

In terms of max damage, yeah that isn't changing. In terms of efficient damage, that should change. Outside of the Ryu players (who already have 400 one stock combos), a lot of people haven't gotten into that. Those extra stocks are gonna be good for the 300+ alpha counter~switch cancels.

They were brought in Capcom's dollar.

Beyond that, what people think they want and they actually want are different. People like those vortexes and comebacks more than they admit.

Yea, I think people like to say they hate all that stuff, but they secretly love it. Or just love watching it. haha. Like, I love seeing dudes take a big hit on the field, but I sure as hell don't like getting hit.

I remember back in the day watching CVS2 EC tournaments, and matches between good players would gone on forever. They were doing 4/7 for finals back in the day though.

I enjoyed watching still, but I remember people complaining about it being boring and taking too long as CVS2 went on. That was with RC. I wonder how it would had shaken out if there was no RC.

I remember too at one EVO, when TTT was set to 3 rounds in the top 8. People in the room were grumbling about taking too long and boring, and they put it to 2 rounds. Plus I see people say TK6 is boring to watch (and SC5).

idk, I don't mind watching SFxTekken. It's not mind blowing. Low level play sucks watching, but heh.

I do have my personal bias though, as I don't really enjoy watching MK9 for some reason.

Anth0ny

Eh what i meant was i dont know how this game went from THIS GAME IS SO GOOD BEST SINCE CVS2 ect to Shit game that Nobody wants to play. Its been out barely a month. Its incredible how the reaction to the game shifted so quickly.

Yeah. I remember that first month of Marvel 3. It was magical. Every stream was so fun to watch, seeing the players discovering new technology.

I do not have the same feelings watching SFxT during its first month. It hasn't been fun to watch at all =/

Grecco

Yeah. I remember that first month of Marvel 3. It was magical. Every stream was so fun to watch, seeing the players discovering new technology.

I do not have the same feelings watching SFxT during its first month. It hasn't been fun to watch at all =/

When Marvel first came out the reaction was way different. It was very negative regarding Sentinel. SENTINEL IS BROKEN ect. This game has been different

Anth0ny

When Marvel first came out the reaction was way different. It was very negative regarding Sentinel. SENTINEL IS BROKEN ect. This game has been different

those people were scrubs

Justin had that shit countered week 1. Can you say instant overhead?

Kikujiro

I don't hate watching SxT like some of you, I think it still needs some time, Evo will be the breaking point. The fact is right now the US is all about Marvel, while Japan seems to love SFIV more than ever. The popularity of these games won't change easily, even if you see people saying how they are bullshit (Marvel) or boring (SFIV), yet they remain the most popular , especially for spectators.

N4Us

Man, I still remember Winter Brawl 2011 just being the biggest MVC3 hatefest ever on stream. Players, commentators and even some guy announcing pools absolutely despising the game. At one point when a Sentinel OCV'd Sanford shouted "THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS"

That's venue looks so sad right now. So much space, but so little people to fill it. Please tell me there will be a few hundred more folks coming in the next couple of hours?

Dahbomb

Yeah Marvel was hated on a ton when it first came out especially from hardcore MVC2 fans. Never forget the Justin Wong famous tweets for MVC3/Sentinel... eventually a lot of people came around to it but some like Sanford still hang on to their hatred of the game. Final Round did MVC3 a lot of good as far as being a hype machine goes.

Sentinel now is a character who is about Mid tier in the game with top support capabilities so he is still played quite a bit on teams. This character has probably more bad match ups than some of the characters in Low/C tier.

Yeah Marvel was hated on a ton when it first came out especially from hardcore MVC2 fans. =

After a while us MVC2 head just kind of accepted that MVC3 is more TVC than Marvel and we dealt with it.

First the button layout... then we soon realize the game was more horizontal than vertical... then the come back factor... then realize that TOD combos were easy as fuck eliminating the need for resets and finally acceptance.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Stream is offline?

Bad weather, or are they breaking between games? Fight for Youth is all SFxT. Was hoping spooky would have some marvel or something... :(

Top Bottom