• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-order on GZ (PS3) on PSN to receive Peace Walker HD free!

Steroyd

There's no way for them to 100% verify you own a PS3.

My PS3 and PS4 is activated to my one goddamn PSN account and it's a digital pre-order, at worse it'd be gameshared on one other console, this isn't popping in a disc for verification at all.

Your interest is irrelevant. Konami is well aware that if you go to biggest stores in Switzerland right now to buy PS4, they will take your preorder and say to you to expect console to arrive in late May/early June [in EU shipments are so small and thirst is so real T_T].

PS3 version of the game will sell much more than PS4 version.

So wouldn't they want to give incentive for PS4 owners to pick up their extended demo?

This might have convinced me to preorder but I'll just keep my original plan and gamefly it. Once again, Konami are dumbasses.

Gestault

Finally following Steam's trend of incentivizing digital pre-orders with free legacy games. I hope other companies start doing this. They'd be able to do this on PS4 if it had backwards compatibility.

There's no way for them to 100% verify you own a PS3.

Why would it be unreasonably advantageous to the buyer?

SJRB

Gold Member
There's no way to assume that a PS4 owner has a PS3 as well. That'd be a lot of either wasted or sold codes, ya?

From a consumer standpoint none of the logistics behind this promotion are my problem. All I see is a 19.95 version getting a free game, and a 29.95 version getting nothing.

Perhaps Konami should've thought this through before launching this promotion, I'm sure there's a way to solve this [Pre-order, receive link in email inbox, click link to redeem Peace Walker PS3 code. People with a PS3 can redeem, people without won't so Konami won't have unused codes. Everybody wins].

RedSwirl

My PS3 and PS4 is activated to my one goddamn PSN account and it's a digital pre-order, at worse it'd be gameshared on one other console, this isn't popping in a disc for verification at all.

Why would it be unreasonably advantageous to the buyer?

It's just a byproduct of the system. They don't know that you didn't sell or lose your PS3 or something. Not everyone remembers to deactivate their PS3 after getting rid of it. Just because you have one registered on PSN isn't 100% proof that you have access to a PS3 at that moment.

I guess if you literally pre-ordered the PS4 version on a PS3 (which I think is possible) that might work.

Some deal for PS4 version would have been nice, but whatever. It's a good incentive if you wanted GZ PS3 and haven't played Peace Walker.

I, on the other hand am currently playing PW HD in preparation for GZ PS4.

... Are you sure about that one? Because most pre-order bonuses are done via PSN codes. Even Store bonus offers (10$ Back on 50$ Spent) are done via PSN codes. Why would they account lock it here?

Either way, if a PS4 person bought this, they would have literally no use for it unless they had a PS3. It's a bad thing to ask for. Ask for a price drop instead.

Yes I'm 110% sure about this. Got Bioshock 1 that way for pre-ordering Bioshock:Inf.
When you pre-order/buy the store knows it and it makes xxx game free to download. Again it's tied to your profile and there are no codes.

Right now it's big fuck you from konami to ps4 owners who are paying more.

The deal really is to keep the PS3 candle burning - I already have PW anyway courtesy of PS Plus!

Really hope that Konami sort out something for PS4 owners - prefer digital releases, but only if it represents a good deal, and it also stops me from wanting to trade it in, which I have done in the past.

I'm not saying that there will be any extra incentive for PlayStation 4 owners (in fact, there's a good chance that a deal like this won't come along for the PS4 owners), but some of these posts are pretty extreme. "Konami are dumbasses" for giving what's likely the majority of their fan-base a pre-order bonus? I get people want to be rewarded for being early adopters (as I, too, am an early adopter), but that's not always how it works. I can't imagine that so many people in here bought a PS4 strictly because they thought it would net them more pre-order bonuses, unless I'm missing something.

Yes I'm 110% sure about this. Got Bioshock 1 that way for pre-ordering Bioshock:Inf.
When you pre-order/buy the store knows it and it makes xxx game free to download. Again it's tied to your profile and there are no codes.

Right now it's big fuck you from konami to ps4 owners who are paying more from konami.

I remember that Infinite deal, but it is certainly not that way for all free preorder games: I've gotten PSN codes for this exact thing. And you're removing the fact that they would be giving PS4 owners a copy of a PS3 game, which is useless for most.

They could run PSN system activation checks, but that's a bad rabbit hole to jump in. They dropped the price in the game already, I doubt they're in the fuck you mode.

Tldr; it's probably not happening.

From a consumer standpoint none of the logistics behind this promotion are my problem. All I see is a 19.95 version getting a free game, and a 29.95 version getting nothing.

Perhaps Konami should've thought this through before launching this promotion, I'm sure there's a way to solve this [Pre-order, receive link in email inbox, click link to redeem Peace Walker PS3 code. People with a PS3 can redeem, people without won't so Konami won't have unused codes. Everybody wins].

The way you described is basically the best way to do it, but it would just lead to a whole lot of Peace Walker HD codes being sold, driving down the value of that. Who knows what they'll do

Steroyd

It's just a byproduct of the system. They don't know that you didn't sell or lose your PS3 or something. Not everyone remembers to deactivate their PS3 after getting rid of it. Just because you have one registered on PSN isn't 100% proof that you have access to a PS3 at that moment.

I guess if you literally pre-ordered the PS4 version on a PS3 (which I think is possible) that might work.

The system lets me cross buy stuff on PS3 for the PS4, there is zero excuse for the same offer to be extended to the PS4.

Blader

The way you described is basically the best way to do it, but it would just lead to a whole lot of Peace Walker HD codes being sold, driving down the value of that. Who knows what they'll do

How can you drive something further down than free?

RedSwirl

The system lets me cross buy stuff on PS3 for the PS4, there is zero excuse for the same offer to be extended to the PS4.

Well in my opinion every game that's cross-generation should also be cross-buy when bought digitally, but no one outside indies is doing that. Pre-order deals like this show console companies are getting better, but with handicaps like retail and the lack of backwards compatibility, they still have a ways to go.

And you're removing the fact that they would be giving PS4 owners a copy of a PS3 game, which is useless for most.

It's also useless for any ps3 owners who already own Peace Walker so ?

It makes zero sense to fuck those who are getting the more expensive ps4 version and also have ps3.

How can you drive something further down than free?

Free only for people who pre-order the PS3 version, most of whom will keep the code.

For PS4 though? The only recourse it to sell it or give it away!

It's also useless for any ps3 owners who already own Peace Walker so ?

It makes zero sense to fuck those who are getting the more expensive ps4 version.

... That's like saying Infinite shouldn't have given away Bioshock 1..

And did a ton of people buy Peace Walker HD?

Megatron

As in I dont have a ps4 yet so I definitely wouldn't mind a digital ground zeroes on ps3 if I could get the ps4 version with pp later on. For collecting purposes.

I think you read my post wrong - I want gz to come free with ps4 phantom pain
it probably will in some form, but you will have to wait for phantom pain to come out which could he a couple years.

Ilúvatar

Seems like there is no winning for Konami here. Either:
  • Offer a PS3 code with a PS4 pre-order -> PS4 owners who don't have a PS3 are pissed
  • Don't offer a PS3 code with a PS4 pre-order -> PS4 owners with a PS3 are pissed

Yet another reason for ps4 owners to wait for
a sale or cheap used. GG Konami lol

Must admit, I will probably just wait a month as there will be a good number of trade ins and can see the RRP dropping to £10 anyway.

Could make a good PS Plus title, but don't think that would happen for a good year!

Ephemeris

Ilúvatar;103380191 said:
  • Offer a PS3 code with a PS4 pre-order -> PS4 owners who don't have a PS3 are pissed
  • Don't offer a PS3 code with a PS4 pre-order -> PS4 owners with a PS3 are pissed

*sigh* Pretty much.

Unless they add a big ass asterisk that says : * PEACE WALKER HD DOESN'T WORK ON THE PS4, VITA, OR PSP. ONLY ON THE PLAYSTATION 3 HOME ENTERTAINMENT CONSOLE.

*sigh* Pretty much.

Unless they add a big ass asterisk that says : * PEACE WALKER HD DOESN'T WORK ON THE PS4, VITA, OR PSP. ONLY ON THE PLAYSTATION 3 HOME ENTERTAINMENT CONSOLE.

I assume their are no other konami games they can give away on ps4 yet, eh?
Well, they could do something a steam sale, make the thing 10 or 20% off for anyone who preorders it.

Gestault

I'm saying why wouldn't they give the option if the only person to be disadvantaged would be the person who doesn't have the PS3 and claimed they did.

JayEH

Why can't they do this for PS4 as well? You can give me a code, I'll be fine.

I really want to play PW as I never finished it but c'mon Konami give the PS4 some love.I need that 1080p 60 fps experience.

Steroyd

I'm saying why wouldn't they give the option if the only person to be disadvantaged would be the person who doesn't have the PS3 and claimed they did.

Yeah at worse Peace Walker HD will be in their download history FOR ALL ETERNITY that they can't have access to because they don't have a PS3.

Ilúvatar;103380191 said:

I don't get that bit. Free things are better than no free things.

Kalamoj

I can understand the reactions, the recent previews, Kojima interviews just make me more confused. I don't really know what to expect from this game/demo/whatever.
Run throgh a base in ten minutes? Or just the usual MGS 'talk a lot, but say nothing' pre-release teasing?
I guess I will find it out in two weeks.

ComixZone

Neo Member
Not very well thought out. Pay more, get less for PS4? Nice fuck you to their 6million new customers.

Pay - slightly - more, get the best edition of the game.

I don't see people complaining that they can buy Jak & Daxter 1 for 75 cents on ebay being irate that they have to pay 19.99 for the Jake & Daxter HD collection on PS3.

...seriously, some of you are just complaining to complain at this stage.

Roto13

I don't get that bit. Free things are better than no free things.

If history has shown anything, it's the gamers are stupid bitches who refuse to understand why things are the way they are. Give them the PS3 version and they'll shriek that it should work on PS4 and be given away for free because porting to PS4 is some small feat because all you have to do is recompile it.

Cassen

Neo Member
The pre-orders will probably start next Tuesday. I think they're just letting people know about the offer ahead of time.

Jubern

I thought "Wow great deal, you can upgrade to PS4 easily too" but didn't know that the upgrade program was a Japan-only thing.

Still a good deal if you haven't played Peace Walker.

Chris_C

Wait what ?!?

So for 20$ you get MGS:Ground Zeros (ps3) and MGS:peace Walker (ps3)

But buying MGS:Ground Zeros (ps4) for 30$ gets you nothing ._.

doesnt_make_any_sense_anchorman.gif

Yeah, I'm not usually one to complain about the correlation between the length of a game and its price (I would be fine if the Walking Dead games for instance we're about an hour and a half) but this whole thing is ridiculous.

I was starting to feel ripped off anyway, but I don't think I'll be getting GZ until it hits $20.

Chris_C

Ilúvatar;103380191 said:

I would be happy if they dropped the extortionate price of the PS4 version so it was on par with the PS3 version. The content is exactly the same and the graphical differences are minimal. I don't get why they're charging a premium.

Top Bottom