• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

It is. But that isn't sloppy writing. People do stuff like that all the time in real life because they think they're "freeing the animal", not realizing that most domestic animals aren't equipped to survive in the wild and will die within a couple of days.

It was also a reflection of her having freed herself, yet not being suited for the harsh reality she happens to be part of.

Oh, and to the people bitching about the comics; the show literally told you to let it the fuck go.

IronRinn

I liked this episode because the plot got moving, but there was a lot of stuff in it I didn't understand

first of all, that really was the breaking bad place and I'm not crazy?
From Alan Sepinwall's review:

Though set in Texas, Preacher films in Albuquerque, and this week paid homage to the first AMC series to be shot there, as the angels wait for the shuttle bus to Hell in front of the Bear Canyon Arroyo Spillway Dam, which is where Ed on Breaking Bad picked up clients who needed to be disappeared. The same dog even walks across the street! (You could also perhaps look on the angels flipping a coin to decide what to do as an homage, since Walt and Jesse made important early decisions via coin flip, but BB certainly didn't invent coin-flipping. And, of course, Albuquerque is where Tulip catches and prepares to torture the infamous Carlos.)

I'm about 3(?) episodes behind now but I've been reading reviews. Unless there is a crazy good hook at the end of next week's episode I think I might be done after this season.

That Emily twist was stunning. Didn't know she had it in her (she might not have either.)

I'm really digging this show. While it doesn't ascend to the heights of BB/BCS, it's really scratching that itch.

I sympathize with the comic readers that can't reconcile the differences that the show offers, but I think the show is better for shedding away what won't work and building up compelling replacements.

Major DeBlanc & Fiore spoilers:
So they are definitely Genisis' parents, right?

"You have no idea what it's like down there, believe me"
"It's alright, my dear"

I think you're right and it's an amazing twist.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Another poor episode.

And that last 10 minutes? Terrible.

Reusing old footage constantly. Yawn.

Shows getting old fast, for me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm pretty sure you loved it two weeks ago.

I did, but these last 2 episodes have really soured me on it

I get that its slow paced, but atm barely anything has happened. The writing has gotten weaker (Emily randomly doing what she did made absolutely no sense) and the story itself is just boring me

Hopefully it picks up

I take it the cowboy isn't the SoK anymore?

Also, no "Good start" :(

Major DeBlanc & Fiore spoilers:
So they are definitely Genisis' parents, right?

"You have no idea what it's like down there, believe me"
"It's alright, my dear"

Oh snap, I think you're totally right. When Jesse asked if it was possible to bring someone back from Hell Fiore said yes and Deblanc said no, it's definitely hinting at it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I didn't watch the show for a few weeks to let the episodes build up and... well yeah still not liking the show overall and did the really have to fuck around with
The Saint of Killers backstory?
For people who kept talking about how they were huge fans of the Preacher comic book I wonder if these guys did more than read through the wikipedia entries on the show because their lack of understanding what made the story great and the characters entertaining seems completely lost on the show runners.

Obscura

Pretty sure they referred to the parents as traitors and an abomination when describing Genesis in the diner, though

More DeBlanc/Fiore spoiler talk:

In a very exaggerated manner. Almost as if he were trying too hard. The two issues I have with this theory is the wanted poster and that they can both come back to life instantly. Obviously we don't know how all this stuff works yet but seems strange a demon would come back to life in exactly the same way an angel would.

With that said, the evidence for them being the parents is littered throughout the show. The most obvious to me is during their meeting with Jesse. DeBlanc tells Jesse "We're from Heaven." Fiore tries to speak and is immediately cut off by DeBlanc saying "BOTH of us." Add to that the numerous hints in just the most recent episode and you don't even need all the other bits of evidence like how only Fiore uses the Angel phone.

Edit: After reading one of the posts above mine it occurred to me that, as far as I can remember, DeBlanc has lied numerous times while Fiore just doesn't speak or gets cut off when trying to tell the truth.

What an absolute slog of an episode. I checked how much time was left a half dozen times while I was watching it today.

This might go on my personal AMC discard pile along with both Walking Dead shows and Into the Badlands.

PepperedHam

Loved the episode and the Hell reveal. Though I haven't read the comics so I'm coming at this show from a completely outside perspective. Hoping they turn it around for fans of the source material, though it seems unlikely if they're changing things up to a good degree.

I just enjoy the show, pacing issues or not. I like the setting, I like Tulip, and the Angels are hilarious.

Surprised so many don't like this; I'm finding it very stylish, very fun, and very confident in how it goes about its business in a manner like Breaking Bad did from season 3 onwards; there is faith in its creative decisions and no little amount of panache in doing them.

It's largely very well acted and well scored, it looks gorgeous, is paced relatively slowly but not as glacially as (the wonderful) Better Call Saul; kind of also apes BB in its pacing. It's intriguing, different than anything else on TV and is a very entertaining way to spend my Mondays watching.

ShinLad

Neo Member
I'm surprised at the amount of gaffers being sympathetic towards the mayor. He had been covering up for Quincannon for who knows how long despite the unnecessary deaths of people which could have been avoided. Not to mention he was technically aiding in the murder the Green Acre Group members by covering them up. At any moment he could have called the police but instead sided with Quincannon against a preacher.

Now Emily doesn't know any of this so it's kinda crazy she just offs her boy toy rather than idk attempt to rob a blood bank or something.

Moff

Now Emily doesn't know any of this so it's kinda crazy she just offs her boy toy rather than idk attempt to rob a blood bank or something.

tulip already said a bloodbank didn't cut it, but that's more an explanation why tulip fed him animals, not why emily killed off her admirer

aku:jiki

tulip already said a bloodbank didn't cut it, but that's more an explanation why tulip fed him animals, not why emily killed off her admirer
Problem with Emily, for me, is that the show seems like it wants us to feel like it takes place in the real world but in a weird little town where weird shit starts happening after this spirit demon thing escapes its coffee can. If the show gave off the vibe that we're in complete fantasy land where people will just go "oh, ok" when they're told that their friend is a vampire, then cool, throw some weird shit my way, but I don't think the show does that.

Still very much enjoying it, I just didn't think this episode made a ton of sense within the parameters set by previous episodes. On that note, how and why does Cassidy have a stash of angel hands buried in the Texas desert?

(One more complaint: seriously, we can't even get practical effects for a good old beheading or cut off limbs anymore? Come on! 30 years ago, those effects were so easy and cheap to pull off that they built entire 15-part movie series around them...)

Problem with Emily, for me, is that the show seems like it wants us to feel like it takes place in the real world but in a weird little town where weird shit starts happening after this spirit demon thing escapes its coffee can. If the show gave off the vibe that we're in complete fantasy land where people will just go "oh, ok" when they're told that their friend is a vampire, then cool, throw some weird shit my way, but I don't think the show does that.

Still very much enjoying it, I just didn't think this episode made a ton of sense within the parameters set by previous episodes. On that note, how and why does Cassidy have a stash of angel hands buried in the Texas desert?

(One more complaint: seriously, we can't even get practical effects for a good old beheading or cut off limbs anymore? Come on! 30 years ago, those effects were so easy and cheap to pull off that they built entire 15-part movie series around them...)

The seraphim.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It was also a reflection of her having freed herself, yet not being suited for the harsh reality she happens to be part of.

Oh, and to the people bitching about the comics; the show literally told you to let it the fuck go.

As they ride right into hell.

Moff

aren't they seraphim? isn't seraphim the same as angels?
the hands were definitely from the grave where cassidy buried the 2 dudes, fiore and the other one

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
aren't they seraphim? isn't seraphim the same as angels?
the hands were definitely from the grave where cassidy buried the 2 dudes, fiore and the other one

Seraphim is one type of Angel. If it's following the comics (and it probably isn't) then they aren't Serphim.

That Emily twist was stunning. Didn't know she had it in her (she might not have either.)

I'm really digging this show. While it doesn't ascend to the heights of BB/BCS, it's really scratching that itch.

I sympathize with the comic readers that can't reconcile the differences that the show offers, but I think the show is better for shedding away what won't work and building up compelling replacements.

I think you're right and it's an amazing twist.
It's not about reconciling. It's about getting bored and frustrated waiting for the actual story to begin.
If this was how game of thrones had been adapted, the seaon 1 finale would have been Robert Baratheon finally arriving at Winterfell after his long journey up the King's Road. The first 9 episodes would have been filled with the Stark family's great banter. The season 2 finale would have been Bran getting pushed from the window. That's how slow this show is moving.

rtcn63

I wonder if Emily and The Mayor had sort of arrangement. Like she'd sleep with him in exchange for aiding the church or her family in some way. Or even something involving her former husband. After awhile she realized she'd always be indebted to him because of said arrangement and just wanted to be done with it.

After thinking about it, I think the true reason for Emily's character assassination is (speculation for the finale)
So we don't feel too bad when she explodes into a spray of blood when God visits next week.

rtcn63

Now that I think about it, she kills the mayor because Tulip says that she can have Jessie. She no longer needs him, plus the sort of woman Jessie is attracted to is apparently crazy, so why not try living like the other side. Also she just learned that vampires are real which probably fucks with your perception of existence.

Pilgrimzero

Really shocked by The Cowboys changes from the comics. Makes me think he won't be near as awesome as in the comics.

Such as the "Not enough gun." scene.

The whole show is a fucking mess if you read the influence. I get why people might like it, but every element is so much worse than the comics. I feel making Arseface some psychopath or the saint just some murderous goober is the icing on the cake that consists of how they've fucked up the Jesse/Cass/Tulip relationship.

RS4-

The only bit of hell that I didn't like is when they used a few mins to recap what we saw in a previous ep and the beginning of this one. After that, I didn't mind the remix and mash up. Just that the first 2-3 mins of it could've been used elsewhere.

Liked the ep though.

Platy

I am liking the story. The deviations from the comic makes me happy because I don't know where they are going and some of the scenes have been awesome.

I love the angels theory ... would explain why
they need to sing a lullaby for genesis to go to them

After thinking about it, I think the true reason for Emily's character assassination is (speculation for the finale)
So we don't feel too bad when she explodes into a spray of blood when God visits next week.

And THEM the comic starts ? xD

Palpable

Just watched the most recent episode. Was that scene where the agents got on the bus a nod to Breaking Bad's 2nd to last episode "Ozymandius"? The way it was shot and the dog running passed made it eerily similar looking.

BLACKLAC

I did, but these last 2 episodes have really soured me on it

I get that its slow paced, but atm barely anything has happened. The writing has gotten weaker (Emily randomly doing what she did made absolutely no sense) and the story itself is just boring me

Hopefully it picks up

Right there with you.

It's not about reconciling. It's about getting bored and frustrated waiting for the actual story to begin.
If this was how game of thrones had been adapted, the seaon 1 finale would have been Robert Baratheon finally arriving at Winterfell after his long journey up the King's Road. The first 9 episodes would have been filled with the Stark family's great banter. The season 2 finale would have been Bran getting pushed from the window. That's how slow this show is moving.

Spot on.

So that's the twist? Thought it would be something more...relevant.

That's not the twist. But I'm wondering if they already fucked up the twist.

Palpable

ysss.gif

Elandyll

Banned
Stil enjoying the show, but the Hell montage was awfull and seemed like a ton of filler. We got it was a loop at the first repetition, and by the second or third we got it was the guy's own personal Hell. But it still went on and on, and included an unnecessary rehash of the whole story from a week or two ago.

Total slog and a big editing missfire imo.

Still looking forward to the season finale next week, but not sure how I feel about the show as a whole right now and its psycho characters changing their behaviors 180 from ep to ep (aside from Cassidy, who s awesome).

It went on and on to fully emphasise just how relentless and unending it was. If it felt like a slog to you, then imagine how it felt for the character they were trying to get you to emphasise with.

Quotes from an interview with Gilgun:

I fucking loved it, man. I really, really loved Preacher. I can't wait to go back. It's one of the best times I've had filming. I think for the first series, we've had to keep it stationary, so people can invest in the characters. We needed to cater for those who haven't read the comics. We've all been finding our feet in this initial series, man.

There’s so much fake blood. There's flavours of blood. We've found my brand of blood, I'm happy to say. I like the minty shit, with a bit of a eucalyptus vibe. There's tons of it, dude. It's everywhere: it's all over me trailer. Me house at home is like a fuckin' crime scene. Me bedsheets. Everything in my bathroom had blood on it. I found blood in the bit between me balls and me arsehole. Try and get fake blood out of that! I challenge anyone.

The second series? In the comics, which I think they're trying to stick to, the trio [Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy] sort of fuck off on this quest for God. It's kind of an adventure where all three of them try to find out who they are and what it's all about. Which is the eternal question for everybody, I guess. Fuck, it sounds corny, doesn't it?

The Emily thing wasn't that strange in my opinion.
1. First she saw what happened to Jesse.
2. Then Tulip said to her that Cassidy is a vampire!
3. She should feed a vampire with some little cute animals.
And these things made her psycho, just like the movie she was watching!
---------------
And about Hell, I really liked it and can't call those repetitive scenes filler. They were necessary for showing the concept of hell and this episode was about 47 minutes compared to other episodes (about 42 minutes), so they added some minutes for those scenes and I don't have any problem with it.

Palpable

I'm pretty sure that isn't specifically Hell for everyone. That Hell is for the Butcher. He is reliving his most painful moment over and over again. That's Hell for him.

obin_gam

Watching the Comic-Con panel now (Part 1, Part 2) and Joesph Gilgun is fucking amazing <3 Give that man a leading role in a blockbuster NOW!

I feel also they answer the critizism of the changes in this thread fairly well

Top Bottom