• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

I am so conflicted about this series. I am still watching it so it must be doing something right or maybe it is like watching a car wreck. I don't think it is only because I was a big fan of the comic either. My girlfriend hasn't read it and has some of the same complaints.

That montage was so frustrating to me. I feel like this show is slow enough without wasting show time. I don't like the new story for the SoK and it makes me fear for his future activity and scenes.

Emily killing the Mayor was weird. My guess is that once Tulip said Jesse was her's she decided to remove any "obstacles." I think after seeing how the Mayor is against Jesse and learning vampires exist she just lost her shit. Who knows?

You all blew my mind a bit with your Genesis theory
Fiore and DeBlanc being parents. Then all the examples of only one of them seemingly being from heaven. Good catch!

The Breaking Bad scene was awesome. The leave your comics behind was snarky fun and a get over comment to people like me.

At this point, I don't know what is going on. So I guess that is at least intriguing even if disappointing.

Emily killing the Mayor was weird. My guess is that once Tulip said Jesse was her's she decided to remove any "obstacles." I think after seeing how the Mayor is against Jesse and learning vampires exist she just lost her shit. Who knows?

Let's just say the Mayor's charging more than $8 and two popsicles from the freezer to babysit Emily's kids.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the Comic-Con panel now (Part 1, Part 2) and Joesph Gilgun is fucking amazing <3 Give that man a leading role in a blockbuster NOW!

I feel also they answer the critizism of the changes in this thread fairly well

Fucking hell, Joe Gilgun is hilarious!

Yeah, they do give good answers for the changes. Still not sure why JC is such a dick though.

SimonChris

Neo Member
Small detail I just noticed while rewatching the Cowboy scenes: In the original episode 5 Ratwater scenes, when the preacher is holding the gun to the horse's head, the Cowboy says "Don't". In the hell montage, he says "No". It's not exactly the same footage. I didn't notice any other changes, but I'll have to watch those scenes again.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 6: 1.5 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.5 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 9: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49

Small detail I just noticed while rewatching the Cowboy scenes: In the original episode 5 Ratwater scenes, when the preacher is holding the gun to the horse's head, the Cowboy says "Don't". In the hell montage, he says "No". It's not exactly the same footage. I didn't notice any other changes, but I'll have to watch those scenes again.

I noticed that too. I was wondering if he can control his actions during the sequence, and if so, is he punished somehow for going off script?

I'm in for the finale but after that I'm done unless season 2 ends up being better.

As much as I love Matt Ryan as Constantine, Joseph would fucking rock as John.

Nah the thing with Matt was that he was also from the same area as John Constantine, also it is sad that the Constantine show is 100% more faithful than this show and that is a fucking crime.

It was also a crime that Constantine got cancelled because they were building up to some of the best storylines from the comic book. Mind you John has like 30+ years(in universe) of stories to pull from.

Hearing Ennis talk about how it needed changes is nice.

I mean, Watchmen was slavishly faithful to its source material and suffered massively. Lord of the Rings deviated, cut out all its songs and shit and extended battles and benefitted.

Being a direct adaptation is not the be all and end all.

Breads

Banned
I have to go against the grain here and say I liked this recent one quite a bit though I do agree that the montage at the end was completely pointless and I feel like they did us a disservice since we only get 10 episodes a year and they spent a good chunk of the episode showing us things we've already seen.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love Matt Ryan as Constantine, Joseph would fucking rock as John.

That's not a bad shout, actually. Don't know if he could do the 'cool' but I wouldn't mind seeing him try. He'd fit 'Son of Man' Constantine pretty well, though.

Nah the thing with Matt was that he was also from the same area as John Constantine, also it is sad that the Constantine show is 100% more faithful than this show and that is a fucking crime.

Matt Ryan is Welsh, isn't he? John's a Liverpudlian who grew up in London.

The show wasn't all that faithful. Most of the plots were brand new. The one episode that I saw which was an actual adaptation completely fluffed it by turning Gary Lester into a tragic/heroic figure. Yuk. They seemed too afraid to make John a bastard.

I mean, Watchmen was slavishly faithful to its source material and suffered massively. Lord of the Rings deviated, cut out all its songs and shit and extended battles and benefitted.

Don't even get me started :D Watchmen wasn't faithful enough IMO. Film totally missed the point of the source material too. Punching through walls? Ozymandias getting his comeuppance (of sorts) at the hands of freakin' Nite Owl? No thanks.

I'm fine with some of the changes in Preacher, even the big ones. Tulip, for instance, is bloody awesome. Quincanon being part of Jesse's origin? That works okay. I've even come to terms with the fact that Custer Senior's changes might be leading somewhere...

But making the show crawl at a snail's pace? They could've made it feel more anarchic/freewheeling without burning through stories. Tulip's intro was brilliant. That hotel cold open is another superb example and one of the best bits in the series! Arseface's new history? I'm sure they could've left him as fairly innocent. Custer Junior being such an unlikeable douche? I don't get that at all. His character development in the comics would've translated perfectly well. Point of fact: this last episode, where he stays with Cassidy despite his uh predicament, was much more in line with the comic character. Hopefully we'll see more of it in future.

/rant

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You're comparing this to Lord of the Rings?

Lord of the Rings was, let's say, 70 - 80% close to the source material.

This is like... 2%, if that. There are characters that have the same names as characters in the book, but that's it. It's not an adaptation, it's something wholly different exploiting a known and beloved IP to try and dupe an audience into watching it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You're comparing this to Lord of the Rings?

Lord of the Rings was, let's say, 70 - 80% close to the source material.

This is like... 2%, if that. There are characters that have the same names as characters in the book, but that's it. It's not an adaptation, it's something wholly different exploiting a known and beloved IP to try and dupe an audience into watching it.
we haven't even gotten on the road. We haven't even gotten to the beginning of the comic. It's not really exploiting or duping anyone. I'm glad they're doing this. Better they "mess up" something original without groundwork than the stuff that's been setup for them. Even characterization aside I think they've done something unique and wholly interesting. If I want to read the comic I'll read the comic. I don't need it retold to me again in another medium. That'd be boring. This show has been not that. Thankfully.

The second series? In the comics, which I think they're trying to stick to, the trio [Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy] sort of fuck off on this quest for God.
After watching first episode, I thought Preacher is going to be a series like Ash Vs Evil Dead. A journey with 3,4 characters to find something, but it wasn't like that in the next episodes.
But now after reading this, I think about the journey again! Is it like that in the comics?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
we haven't even gotten on the road. We haven't even gotten to the beginning of the comic. It's not really exploiting or duping anyone. I'm glad they're doing this. Better they "mess up" something original without groundwork than the stuff that's been setup for them. Even characterization aside I think they've done something unique and wholly interesting. If I want to read the comic I'll read the comic. I don't need it retold to me again in another medium. That'd be boring. This show has been not that. Thankfully.

We don't have to get on the road to recognize the stark changes. We won't ever touch the beginning of the comic. Being on the road changes nothing about the TV show. They aren't the same characters, or even similar outside of proinsias. Sometimes changes are necessary for a adaptation, I get that. But this isn't the same. The walking dead changed things, but the characters were for the most part true to the comic versions that people loved. I don't get a lot of the changes, but most of all I don't get the change of the Custer's. Making them terrible, horrible people doesn't make them better or more real or human, it makes them worse.

Houndi101

After watching first episode, I thought Preacher is going to be a series like Ash Vs Evil Dead. A journey with 3,4 characters to find something, but it wasn't like that in the next episodes.
But now after reading this, I think about the journey again! Is it like that in the comics?
Yep, this premise is the comic. However as said above these characters aren't.

Dalek

I was enjoying this show right until the latest episode.

Total misfire.

I have to agree. I know we're supposed to let it go about of devotion to the source material-but if the pacing were better it wouldn't be such an easy thing I remember. As we near the end of the season, I can look back and it really bothers me how the entire season was spinning it's wheels.

Alpende

I really liked the Breaking Bad callback with the two angels getting on the bus to hell. Other than that, I thought it was an okay episode. Didn't like the ending montage at all, went on for way too long.

Helmholtz

I really liked the Breaking Bad callback with the two angels getting on the bus to hell. Other than that, I thought it was an okay episode. Didn't like the ending montage at all, went on for way too long.
Yeah that ending montage was waaaay too long, seriously what the...

Korigama

I was struggling not to laugh even before he outed himself as a fraud, but a scene so bizarre actually coming to pass is still hard to believe.

Top Bottom