• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I enjoyed it and appreciate the thought the show runners took to bring this to TV. While I don't agree with everything and the season definitely dragged at times the show does make for a unique experience.

I'm hoping they learn to fix some of the pacing issues in the following season as well as some issues I have with the authenticity of some of the characters.
I feel like they kept trying to delay the God stuff for as long as possible to try to keep it grounded as some kind of... I dunno, crime thriller or something? Like the first episode had a nice energy to it, particularly with the introduction of Cassidy and Tulip, but then it just ground to a halt and became so dull and bland.

I disliked everyone fucking losing it after finding out that god was missing.

"How can you be good without god?" is such a shitty stupid question often posed to Atheists "you can't" being the presumptive answer.

If it wasn't this fucked up version of Annville, I'd agree with you. But that place is filled with people that I believe would lose their minds when they find out God isn't watching them or watching over them.

Amikami

Banned

"How can you be good without god?" is such a shitty stupid question often posed to Atheists "you can't" being the presumptive answer.

Eh i don't think it's any thing to take personally. This isn't a town of Athiest whom had the non-existance of God confirmed and then started acting out. This is a town full of God-believing people appearing to church every Sunday despite how bad a preacher Jessie is, and confirms that God does exist, or rather he did exist but is either dead, in trouble, or just doesn't give a shit.

Not only that, but they saw some sort of proof or representation of the afterlife and it was kinda terrifying. So yeah, they gonna go a little nutso. Athiest would go nutso too. It has nothing to do with morality when God doesn't exist. Its morality in the absense of God. It's like taking away law enforcement. Can't expect everyone to be well behaved.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guess I should of phrased it differently.

Does the town explode as fast as it did in the show? Basically, I think it would of been awesome to see the town fall apart for an episode or two before having it blow up.

28690444265_1f5eed4ccb_b.jpg

Issue #1.

Bebpo

Banned
No idea what they were gong for but this season felt like a mess. Yeah it could go some where from s2 on, but after s1 I can't see the same people making something suddenly good. The show runners really messed this show up. One of the worst TV seasons I've seen and 75% pointless. I'm out completely after this.

Kevin

Generally I enjoyed the season. It had some issues but was a pretty fun ride. The season finale was fantastic. Definitely excited for season 2. Solid stuff!

Helmholtz

This season was as uneven mess, but the finale indicates they're going to get to the good stuff from the comics next season. Really hoping the show comes into its own next season after a mediocre first season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Preacher’ EP On Apocalyptic S1 Finale: Who’s Left & Who’s Coming In Season 2

Nearly every single character we became familiar with during the course of the season is gone, according to Catlin, save for Eugene Root aka Arseface. Even Jesse’s nemesis Odin Quincannon, who has dogged the preacher’s church land for decades, is gone. Even sweet church mouse Emily, Jesse’s casual girlfriend? Also, gone.

“In the end, we had to clear the deck, there’s so many great characters from the comic to come,” says Catlin, who along with EPs Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg intended Preacher’s first season to be a prequel to the Vertigo comic book, with some nods to the print edition’s “Gone to Texas” series.

In regards to the acerbic personalities from the comic-book who are on board for season 2, one new personality who will play [a] large [part] in Season 2 is “the figure in white, and fanboys will know who that is,” says Catlin. “They’ve already seen the character briefly [during Episode 3, “The Possibilities”].”

Breads

Banned

This isn't really the same thing though. This isn't the real world. This is a world in which God was confirmed to exist but also announced to have been officially missing.

jett

D-Member
This show is complete trash. Those are 10 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

Needless to say, I'm not coming back to for season two.

obin_gam

This show is complete trash. Those are 10 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

Needless to say, I'm not coming back to for season two.

You seriously waited all ten hours before deciding that?
If you didn't like it at first, why did you stick around for ten whole hours?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
wtf is with the indian dude - i missed it, other than him walking past carlos earlier, was he of any significance?

im guessing being a mascot was his only purpose. and getting replaced has led him to drunkenly ramble around town.

i wish they would have kept the town. it would have been interesting to see the levels of depravity it could have reached.

its a shame they softballed odins meatperson, but i guess theres no way that would have made it to the screen

The more I saw of this season, the more I'm convinced that the showmakers don't know the first thing about how to write effective drama and mystery. They've got the ideas, but they don't know how to execute them.

I'm kind of afraid of what they'll do to Herr Starr in season 2 now. I fear he's going to be nothing like his comic book counterpart.

So does that blast kill the whole town then or just the church?

Just the church, but because Custer had a public breakdown a day or so earlier, the entire town was there to see him embarrass himself. Everyone died except him.

Breads

Banned
Rewatched the final episode.

Honestly it was the first episode that actually felt like it was part of the Preacher story.

I liked it. It should not have taken this long to get going.

Pilgrimzero

Now that the actual story is getting started I urge people to give season 2 a shot.

Although, I already feel like The Cowboy is going to be underpowered and under used.

Houndi101

I wonder where they'll take the show, will they start at New York or go straight to L'Angelle family...
Probably neither..

Edit has the show had any sexual stuff that could hint at them being able to do stuff with De Sade and the sexual investigators (played by Rogen and Franco)

jett

D-Member
You seriously waited all ten hours before deciding that?
If you didn't like it at first, why did you stick around for ten whole hours?

Well I was a bit hyperbolic, I just kept waiting for it to get better each week. People said the twist with the Cowboy would be satisfying or something. "I'll give it one more week." I had just given too many weeks to quit the season. This is enough for me though. I'm in a similar situation with Mr Robot, I'm not enjoying the current season at all, even less than this show, but still waiting for it to "git gud." The only part of the this week's episode I enjoyed was fake-God, but in an ironic so-bad-it's-good way. And then the fart-nuke happened, which literally wiped away almost everything that happened, turning this season's events into a waste of time.

Yeah it definitely felt as though only 3 episodes out of the 10 were actually moving the plot forward, really enjoyed the finale and I hope they can make things consistent from here on out.

The god impostor scene was a riot.

vaderise

I wonder where they'll take the show, will they start at New York or go straight to L'Angelle family...
Probably neither..

Edit has the show had any sexual stuff that could hint at them being able to do stuff with De Sade and the sexual investigators (played by Rogen and Franco)

I think they can fith both Si Coltrane and De Sade storylines in one season.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I haven't watched the last few episodes. I'll catch them tonight but it doesn't sound like the show ever resolved the serious issues I had with it. Well I'll give it a shot and see if I should care about waiting for season 2. Can't believe they fucked up the Saint of Killers' origins so bad though...

wtf is with the indian dude - i missed it, other than him walking past carlos earlier, was he of any significance?

Didn't the mascots turn out to be lovers? Cassidy mentioned something about him being brokeback and then the mascots looked at each other in church after, and then thwy suicides right next to each other. Maybe I'm totally off

ezekial45

Banned
Well I haven't watched the last few episodes. I'll catch them tonight but it doesn't sound like the show ever resolved the serious issues I had with it. Well I'll give it a shot and see if I should care about waiting for season 2. Can't believe they fucked up the Saint of Killers' origins so bad though...
You really need to watch the last few episodes.

Mudcrab

The entire time with "god" I was waiting for Custer to yell "cut the shit."

Show refuses to throw me a bone of any kind. Oh well, maybe next season?

The more I saw of this season, the more I'm convinced that the showmakers don't know the first thing about how to write effective drama and mystery. They've got the ideas, but they don't know how to execute them.

I'm kind of afraid of what they'll do to Herr Starr in season 2 now. I fear he's going to be nothing like his comic book counterpart.

Just the church, but because Custer had a public breakdown a day or so earlier, the entire town was there to see him embarrass himself. Everyone died except him.

Sam Catlin has proven he knows how to write effective drama.

I like the show, but I agree that its uneven. So many things that happen that make me scratch my head.

One thing though, there isn't a single character on the show right now that I like. Mayyyybee Cassidy? But the show has portrayed every character as being extremely flawed and borderline unlikable.

The entire time with "god" I was waiting for Custer to yell "cut the shit."

Show refuses to throw me a bone of any kind. Oh well, maybe next season?

lmfao

i said the same thing last night

if jody doesn't say "Fuck out the way, dipshit" at some point I'm literally out.

god what if starr doesn't say "WALKWAY NOT FUCKING STANDWAY GRANNY"

That was so much better.

Than BoJack Horseman?
LOST?
The West Wing?
Madame President?
Brain Dead?
Crossfire?
The Daily Show?
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?
Batman Begins?
Finding Dory?
OK Computer?
Use Your Illusion II?
Use Your Illusion I?
Radiohead at Lollapalooza?
Pitchfork?
A Gorillaz video?
The video for "Feel Good Inc"?
Howard The Duck #9?

Jim

Didn't the mascots turn out to be lovers? Cassidy mentioned something about him being brokeback and then the mascots looked at each other in church after, and then thwy suicides right next to each other. Maybe I'm totally off

That's exactly what I thought.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Than BoJack Horseman?
LOST?
The West Wing?
Madame President?
Brain Dead?
Crossfire?
The Daily Show?
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?
Batman Begins?