• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

So is uhh, Fiore? deBlanc, whoever got shot, he done?

can remember in the comic if they bumped rails before they got the saint?

or was it a different set of angels that woke him and got got?

i'll really be mad if we don't get at least one angel bumping rails going "FNORRRFUCKING YESSSS"

Zoe

Didn't the mascots turn out to be lovers? Cassidy mentioned something about him being brokeback and then the mascots looked at each other in church after, and then thwy suicides right next to each other. Maybe I'm totally off

Yeah, I caught that much during the episode. Then during Talking Preacher, Seth Rogan said there was this whole thing in the background about the Indian mascot being replaced by the Beaver, making their love story kind of Romeo and Juliet, which I totally did not pick up on.

RS4-

i'll really be mad if we don't get at least one angel bumping rails going "FNORRRFUCKING YESSSS"

I could read the issue right now but, just in the context of the show, would be nice if the guy is still alive.

edit - nm, just read the comic lol.
Pilo wakes the killer up

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

In the comic
the mother of genesis was dead before any of this happens.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He's one of the most important characters in the comics and many of the most important events are tied to him.

Where has he been all this time though? Why hasn't he been used before now? He's on his shoulder at his most trying times in the comics, but he wasn't used in the show, so why would they need him now? They might as well keep using Eugene

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Where has he been all this time though? Why hasn't he been used before now? He's on his shoulder at his most trying times in the comics, but he wasn't used in the show, so why would they need him now? They might as well keep using Eugene

The show starts at an earlier point that the comics. In the comics he is in it from the very beginning and whenever he shows up you know shit is about to go down. He is the Angel of Death in the Preacher universe and is nigh unstoppable and when I say he's important to the main events in the series, I mean he's quite literally essential for several parts and is probably involved in one of the greatest moments in the comic book

Mudcrab

You're confused. They're talking about The Saint, not "John Wayne"

Different cowboy.

The entire time with "god" I was waiting for Custer to yell "cut the shit."

Show refuses to throw me a bone of any kind. Oh well, maybe next season?

I was almost screaming those words during that entire scene, waiting for Custer to say them. I have no idea why the showmakers didn't do that. "Cut the shit" says so much more about Jesse's personality than "where is God?"

Great finale, I think I might like the show better than the comic.
Don't cry blasphemy.

Stray thoughts:
-The Cowboy's shot is deadly. He popped DeBlanc in Hell last episode and a visibly upset Fiore comes back to Earth alone.
-Eugene will likely serve as Jesse's John Wayne. That'll keep him along for the ride without actually having him on the ride.
-Several reviewers called the destruction of Anneville mean-spirited and cry that it was all for nothing. I'd agree with the former on the surface level, but the method of death served as a fitting end for the bizarre folk of the town. And you'd think that viewers of a show about religion would understand that it's about the journey and not the destination and besides the show's thesis might just be "nothing really matters".

I enjoyed the season a lot for the most part. There's nothing like it on TV. Even for its unevenness it's entertaining enough for me.

I'm also guilty of enjoying the show slightly more than I enjoyed the comic, which I gave up on after a little while.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just finished it, and......HAHAHAHAHAHHA

They really went bonkers with this one, didn't they? Just wish we had more episodes like this. Damn fine hour. Can't wait for season 2, bloody hell!

Did he? I don't remember that at all.

He did.

I really wish the cowboy didn't show up until the final two episodes and was the reason for the towns demise. They could have just had the preacher not being able to make it to the church on the day so the cowboy kills the township one by one after he asked them where the preacher was. The power-plant explosion just felt so meaningless in regards to the plot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Saved up the last three episodes so I could binge the end of the season. Hope the finale was good. Here. I. Go.

The finale was the worst episode of the season for me, something just didn't clicked. Like the quality of the show just took a huge turn, be it the dialogue or the whole scene with "god", its execution just wasnt as good as the other 9 by far. Still looking forward to it's 2nd season but not nearly as much after that disappointing finale.

Helmholtz

Jody+Durand.jpg

Still my dreamcasting, imposing as hell + Durand has that hick swagger needed by Jody
Wow that's a really good choice.

Moff

good ending
but I still think the season as a whole was not great

I think my biggest problem is that I often have problems to understand the motivations of the characters. for instance, why are they even looking for god now? why does jesse feel that is his burden?

I'm still absolutely in for season 2

That was a great finale in at least one sense: I won't have to struggle through this again next week.

What a complete disaster of a show.

good ending
but I still think the season as a whole was not great

I think my biggest problem is that I often have problems to understand the motivations of the characters. for instance, why are they even looking for god now? why does jesse feel that is his burden?

I'm still absolutely in for season 2
He wants to know God's plan for him, or at least make him help understand why Genesis chose him I guess.

Helmholtz

I feel like anyone who thought Season 1 was a mess, but liked at least some things about it, should stick around for the first few episodes on Season 2. I have no idea if it will be good, but this finale at least indicates they'll be getting to the meat of the comics and be more focused. There were a few moments this season that gave me some faith that they have the potential to adapt that stuff properly.
I think they just made a big mistake in having an entire season of mostly filler setup.

Uneven is the perfect word to described this season, but I still loved it. My only worry was they would skip the 'God is missing' story line, but thankfully not. Season 2 should be better and hopefully not as uneven.

Alric

So was Jesse and the team still in or around Anneville during the destruction? I almost got the feel that they were all dead and the rest of the show will basically be in hell.

As someone who loved the comic i'm just confused by whatever is happening in this show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watched 8 and 9. Sometimes it feels like this show is stretching things out just to get to the 40 minute mark. Having all the back story littered across the season randomly, and then going over it again and again and again in Episode 9 was too much for me. I know they're trying to convey it's purgatory or whatever but it really dragged down Episode 9 and was basically just there to pad out the previous episodes that used the footage. Kinda don't feel like watching the finale now because of how tedious the end of EP9 was.

Really liked everything in the finale except the fart gas shit. Felt like the cowboy's appearance was a damp squib.

Hope that isn't the end of DeBlanc and Fiore

wildfire

Banned
Eh i don't think it's any thing to take personally. This isn't a town of Athiest whom had the non-existance of God confirmed and then started acting out. This is a town full of God-believing people appearing to church every Sunday despite how bad a preacher Jessie is, and confirms that God does exist, or rather he did exist but is either dead, in trouble, or just doesn't give a shit.

Not only that, but they saw some sort of proof or representation of the afterlife and it was kinda terrifying. So yeah, they gonna go a little nutso. Athiest would go nutso too. It has nothing to do with morality when God doesn't exist. Its morality in the absense of God. It's like taking away law enforcement. Can't expect everyone to be well behaved.

Great finale, I think I might like the show better than the comic.
Don't cry blasphemy.

Stray thoughts:
<snip>

-Several reviewers called the destruction of Anneville mean-spirited and cry that it was all for nothing. I'd agree with the former on the surface level, but the method of death served as a fitting end for the bizarre folk of the town. And you'd think that viewers of a show about religion would understand that it's about the journey and not the destination and besides the show's thesis might just be "nothing really matters".

I'm quoting both of these posts because my response is incomplete without the both.

The ending was mean-spirited precisely because some of the town folk weren't crazy. The best example of this is how the girls got their revenge or enacted their own form of justice on their sexual predator the bus driver.

Knowing that God is missing they know heaven has lost it's guide on divine judgement. The whole point of not attacking the bu driver themselves is to be good and faithful in the eyes of God. God being missing means God had stopped caring so they need to take matters into their own hands.

The Sheriff eventually learns that Custer sends Eugene to Hell. In the end he clearly doesn't blame Custer for this debacle because it's the fact that God is missing (who is omnipotent) that has allowed a huge oversight like the whatever gave the Preacher his power to happen in the first place.

Everyone whether they were driven mad or not by the revelation correctly took the bad news as nothing really matters for now except what they believe is the right thing to do.

That collective group realization makes blowing up the whole town extra mean spirited because we the audience are deprived of seeing how anyone moves forward with this news other than the trio.

I wonder where they'll take the show, will they start at New York or go straight to L'Angelle family...
Probably neither..

Edit has the show had any sexual stuff that could hint at them being able to do stuff with De Sade and the sexual investigators (played by Rogen and Franco)

I thought the missing pet posters on the outside of the diner at the end was a sly nod to De Sade (particularly the gerbil/hamster...).

rtcn63

He wants to know God's plan for him, or at least make him help understand why Genesis chose him I guess.

Yeah, he's pretty much looking for meaning to his life. He lost his father, he lost his unborn child, and then was gifted with the heavenly power to influence others. Like he doesn't want it to be explained as coincidence, otherwise he'd be accepting that shit just sorta happens. That's all there is to anything.

Obscura

The finale was the worst episode of the season for me, something just didn't clicked. Like the quality of the show just took a huge turn, be it the dialogue or the whole scene with "god", its execution just wasnt as good as the other 9 by far. Still looking forward to it's 2nd season but not nearly as much after that disappointing finale.

You have a good eye. It was the only episode directed by showrunner Sam Catlin. His only previous directing credit was an episode of Breaking Bad. Really surprised you're the first to mention the episode seeming kind of "off". I spent much of the episode saying to myself "this seems awkwardly executed." The sheriff/Cassidy scene was a particular sticking point. With that said, I loved the episode. First that felt like the comic. The God scene was wonderful. I was full of glee when God started yelling and talking down to the town. Can't wait for full on dickhead God in S2.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This show is sooo bad. why is it such a slog to get through, i find myself bored watching it and want to go do something else. its like i want it to be good, the characters seem interesting the plot seems interesting but the execution is horrid bile crap.

someday

Banned
I haven't read the comics and I've mostly avoided this thread but I just wanted to say that I ended up really loving this show.

Top Bottom