• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Predator is a good movie because of the direction, not because of the story or characters.

You also have to factor in "mystery" aspect of Pred1 since we, the audience, didn't know what the Predator was (until halfway through the movie). Whereas going into Predators, we pretty much knew everything to expect.

And yeah, like the other guy said, I don't know what the haters were expecting from Predators.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Just saw it, enjoyed it a lot. The new predators look awesome, although I wasn't a fan of their giant helmets that made them look like they had tiny bodies.
Was really surprised by Adrian Brody. I'm not a fan but he was pretty damn convincing as a badass soldier.
I thought it did a good job of capturing the predator paranoia feel for most of the movie, but once they actually run into them, the vibe kind of fell apart.
Looking forward to a sequel.

and yes, the grace twist was ridiculous and pointless.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
LosDaddie said:
You also have to factor in "mystery" aspect of Pred1 since we, the audience, didn't know what the Predator was (until halfway through the movie). Whereas going into Predators, we pretty much knew everything to expect.

And yeah, like the other guy said, I don't know what the haters were expecting from Predators.

would've been a cool bait and switch to have whatever was hunting them hidden for a good portion, then the moment when
they find the predator hanging up in the camp
serves as the first indication that whatever is hunting them actually isn't a predator at all.

Just saw it and well movie screams for a sequel. I liked the movie, e.g. the scene in the field, the Russian and Brody's performance. I pretty much expected what I saw and thus wasn't disappointed. About Topper Grace at the end: I think he knew he couldn't get off the planet, so he probably thought "Whatever let's have some fun at the end."

What I didn't got was the point of Laurence Fishburns' character and why the Predators still couldn't do shit against a guy covered in mud. Arnold did that like 25 years ago and the Russian mentioned it that they'd develope. But not in this point? WTF?

Zyzyxxz

Patrick Bateman said:
Just saw it and well movie screams for a sequel. I liked the movie, e.g. the scene in the field, the Russian and Brody's performance. I pretty much expected what I saw and thus wasn't disappointed. About Topper Grace at the end: I think he knew he couldn't get off the planet, so he probably thought "Whatever let's have some fun at the end."

What I didn't got was the point of Laurence Fishburns' character and why the Predators still couldn't do shit against a guy covered in mud. Arnold did that like 25 years ago and the Russian mentioned it that they'd develope. But not in this point? WTF?

it could have been a single predator and that encounter was never reported back to the rest of em.

Still doesn't explain how their advanced technology would equip them with a heartbeat sensor or some bullshit. Either way I'm not gonna think about it too much.

Arozay

The movie felt like they were trying to rush through it after
Fishburn turned bad. Like they were in a hurry to kill off all the characters bar the main guy and the chick. Also didn't like the whole Predator rescue and the ship since both turned out to be pointless in the end.

Patrick Bateman said:
They did change, he switched to the vision that detects heartbeats and targeted brody. The old predators didn't have that.

I was pretty dissapointed by this movie. I thought it was badly written and some scenes were horrible
like the sword fight

Oh and what was up with those horrible graphics?

Zaptruder

Banned
Leave your brain at home. If you bring it along, you're going to hate this movie.

It's not so easy to disengage your brain, seeing as there's the whole skull, and cutting it out, and how that's generally not healthy for you thing...

iddqd

I get the "leave your brain at home" part but I still did not enjoy the movie.
I was just bored with it. I do not even think it was the movies fault, Predator as a character is just something (as well as Alien) that does not work for me anymore. At least not as a re-shoot kinda movie.

It felt like a coverband playing old phil collins songs without trying to make them metal (but as true to the original as possible). Unnecessary.

SilentProtagonist said:
They did change, he switched to the vision that detects heartbeats and targeted brody. The old predators didn't have that.

Oh, right. Totally forgot that. :lol

Guyver said:
Yes when that part came up, it felt so awkward.

I don't get the fuss about that scene. I think it was very well made. Especially if you remember that Predators only attack or kill when their opponent feels worth it (e.g. that scene in Predator 2 at the graveyard with the little boy and his plastic pistol).
I guess that the Predator realised that the Katana was a CCQ-weapon and it somehow spoke to his feeling as a true warrior (and not some ballsy laser-shooting dude outta space) to do that "sword-fight".

AniHawk

Zaptruder said:
It's not so easy to disengage your brain, seeing as there's the whole skull, and cutting it out, and how that's generally not healthy for you thing...

speak for yours

Alx

I may have been tired near the end of the movie, but I realize now that there are a few things I may have misunderstood.
For example, for some reason I thought that at the end of the Predator fight, the smaller one had won, and took the big one's helmet as a trophy. Of course it made explosing the ship a dick move. :D

Concerning the medic,
I'm still not sure what his real motivation is. From what he said near the end, he was hunting alongside the Predators, so he was part of their team ? That would explain a detail that bothered me at the beginning, when he could identify a toxic flower when they are in an alien forest. But I'm still not sure about it.

charsace

Zyzyxxz said:
it could have been a single predator and that encounter was never reported back to the rest of em.

Still doesn't explain how their advanced technology would equip them with a heartbeat sensor or some bullshit. Either way I'm not gonna think about it too much.
Predator tech only enhances their senses. The predators see heat without their helmets. With them the helmets improve their sight by filtering. Its possible for the helmets to have a sonar type of mode that picks up things.

Predators hunt for sport. People seem to forget this.

Rickard

Alx said:
Concerning the medic,
I'm still not sure what his real motivation is. From what he said near the end, he was hunting alongside the Predators, so he was part of their team ? That would explain a detail that bothered me at the beginning, when he could identify a toxic flower when they are in an alien forest. But I'm still not sure about it.

He's a serial killer on Earth.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Saw this today, pretty weak overall. Better then the 2 AvP films (which were cinematic diarrhea) but not better then either of the original 2 Predator movies.

I dunno, the whole thing just felt really cheap and bland. No real thought went into anything, the action was tepid, the Predators nonthreatening and the characters were lifeless.

Oh well, maybe one day we'll get an action director as good as Prime McTiernan to tackle this stuff.

C4Lukins

A bit disappointing. I thought they did well with the human characters. For the most part they developed them enough so that you cared when they were hunted down and killed. You felt some sort of attachment to them which is what most horror gets wrong these days. I also really liked the premise of the film. The whole game preserve thing was an excellent way to reintroduce the series without just looking for a new Earth locale to have the battle at. They also looked like the Predators from the first two films, and not those dogshit bigfoots from the AVP series.

Where it really fails is with the Predators. There is none of that fear that they cannot be killed, and none of that whole hunting aspect that should be first and foremost something that needs to be done right. They just kind of walk up and kill people. No jumping through the trees, not a whole lot of stealth, not a whole lot of what makes them interesting as a bad ass hunter. It has some of those aspects, but when it comes down to human versus predator it was much more up close and personal, and what really makes them scary is that they can kill the fuck out of you from any distance at any time. It is a weird film because it gets so much right and then fucks up the main thing. Not to mention that it is rated R, but they did not even try and make it a hard R film. If you took away the cursing, it is PG-13 levels of violence and gore. They just failed in the action and horror aspects of the film, which is so sad because they did what I would consider to be the hard stuff really well.

Okay i have to give input to this off-topic 80's action flicks.

No one mentioned some of these, whats wrong with you! :D

Top 5 in no particular order:
Robocop, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Terminator 2, Predator

Robocop sequels we do not talk about. Lethal Weapons actually held up pretty well, Donner as a director propably helped.

Die Hard's are a mixed bag, fourth one was OK, better than the second one! Terminator sequels obviously did not deliver. But Salvation is again pretty good, i hoped they would have taken some more risks in that and not use John as it was originally supposed to be.

And on the predator sequels we all can mostly agree on :D

R2D4

Banned
When they asked Fishbourne how long he had been there I was hoping that he would say that he didn't know. He had been
on patrol in Vietnam and got seperated from his platoon and then saw the flash of light and woke up on the planet.
Would have been awesome if he had been there for decades. I wouldn't have made him completely psycho. Then you could have had him and Brody and the Isabella all fight the last Predator before dying of course.

I really didn't understand why the Predators would want a
serial killer?
Doesn't seem like he would be any sort of challenge to them. He just preys on weak humans. It's like wanting a mosquito to fight because it has the ability to carry malaria.

Blader

Saw this tonight. It sucked. This is the kind of R-movie made for 13-year-olds, if you know what I mean. (edit: though I guess that's par for the course for this genre)

Adrian Brody was good though, and Alice Braga was nice to look at.

Lard

Banned
Eye Drop said:
Is it just me or did that multiple-lasers-on-Brody from the trailer never actually happen in the film? I swear I didn't see it happen.

Saw it tonight, I was waiting for that too. :/

Puddles

Banned
Just watched this yesterday.

The first half was great, probably even brilliant. It built tension very well, and not even hinting at the presence of a Predator for the first 30-40 minutes was great. It really built a feeling of foreboding dread, and when we finally get the first heat vision shot, I actually felt fear for a second.

The second half wasn't so good. We never get anything as cool as the Predator moving through the jungle in the first one. Lawrence Fishburne's character started out amazing and then turned to shit (Why wouldn't he put on his stolen Predator armor before leaving?). There wasn't much of a buildup towards anything. And I was disappointed that we didn't get the classic shot of a Predator activating its cloaking field to leave only its glowing eyes. To me, that stuff is what Predator is about. They felt more like big, brutal everyday monsters instead of the lethal creature from the first film.

Saw it this weekend, I thought it was great. :D

Two niggling questions: what the hell was
Lawrence Fishburn eating that made him so tubby?

And how did
Topher Grace know that plant was poisonous?

Tedesco!

I just saw this film. Liked it. I thought it was a bit dark at times, making the action a bit difficult to follow, such as the sword fight towards the end. I don't care that the movie didn't delve too deep into Predator lore; that's what the comics and books are for. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Just saw this myself as well. I thought it fucking rocked. I love the first two (though it's been quite a while since I've seen them), and this one is just as worthy.

EzLink

Banned
Randomly wanted to pop into this thread again to give fucking props to Goggins, who is a brilliant actor

Every single fucking person reading this post should watch The Shield

Seriously, you will all thank me later

Promise you

Minamu

Saw it two days ago as well. Very awesome stuff :) What happened to that scene where Adrien have like 20 laser sights on him though? It was in the trailer but not in the final version? That was the coolest part, damnit :(

Haunted

Saw it just now, not as bad as I expected it to be! Especially Brody was surprisingly... not shit. I didn't realise he had such a deep voice, that certainly helped.

It doesn't touch the original, but that's fine, few action movies can. I'd put it near Predator 2, even though the obvious sequel setup irked me a bit. At least it was tons better than that Alien vs Predator bs.

Minamu said:
Saw it two days ago as well. Very awesome stuff :) What happened to that scene where Adrien have like 20 laser sights on him though? It was in the trailer but not in the final version? That was the coolest part, damnit :(
Exactly my thoughts!

I read an interview with Rodriguez where he said that the scene was purposely shot (well, edited I suppose) for the trailer, so as to throw off moviegoers expecting the scene to play out that way.

Weak. :/

siddx

I just found out one of my friends who is 25 has never seen Predator. I spent the next hour belittling her until she felt self conscious and broken.

Haunted

siddx said:
I just found out one of my friends who is 25 has never seen Predator. I spent the next hour belittling her until she felt self conscious and broken.
Good man.

Then again, I know plenty of women who don't give a shit about action movies and haven't seen a lot of the titles I think are essential.

Definitely a must watch for anyone with even a passing interest in the genre, though. :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
siddx said:
dbjmon.gif

siddx

Haunted said:
Good man.

Then again, I know plenty of women who don't give a shit about action movies and haven't seen a lot of the titles I think are essential.

Definitely a must watch for anyone with even a passing interest in the genre, though. :p

Ah but that was my reason for the belittling, she claimed to be action movie fan. So I felt it was my duty to make her feel small.
Then I slept with her.
No seriously. I'm going to hell.

Mr. Sam

siddx said:
Ah but that was my reason for the belittling, she claimed to be action movie fan. So I felt it was my duty to make her feel small.
Then I slept with her.
No seriously. I'm going to hell.

Refer to the post above you for the appropriate response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom