• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minamu said:
Saw it two days ago as well. Very awesome stuff :) What happened to that scene where Adrien have like 20 laser sights on him though? It was in the trailer but not in the final version? That was the coolest part, damnit :(
That scene is still in there, but he only has one laser sight on him in the movie.

Anyway, I thought the movie was ok, but I'm not a big fan of the predator as a character so I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because the movie wasn't perfect. Some parts were stupid/unnecessary and they went a bit overboard with the homages to the first movie, but overall it was entertaining.

Forgot to say that I really liked the soundtrack in this movie, though that's to be expected since they took a lot from the original score.

Thought this was every bit as good as the original. A lot of fun. Great action scenes and I actually liked the characters.

DoctorWho said:
Thought this was every bit as good as the original. A lot of fun. Great action scenes and I actually liked the characters.

Oh come on as good as original? Great action scene? I thought it was big waste of money.

Sanjay

Why did he not fight with the predator he saved and fight with him and kill the other one, then GTFO the planet with him on the ship with Isabella, would have fucking made sense.

Also why the fuck did Morpheus not take his cloaking suit with him when he left them to die in the room full of smoke, mother-fucker survived "12 seasons" and went out like that, as if.

hayejin

I see many plot hole questions being asked but how come no one is questioning
Predators can somehow watch over individual lives on planet earth, not just outside but inside a fucking doctor's office and figure out Topher is serial killer and even teleport these individuals out of thin air and yet they can only see via infra red? How do they figure out who's a bad motherfer wand who isnt when they were monitoring who to teleport when all they can see is just heat signatures?

big_z

^
it's best not to think much about this film. while it's watchable it's not very good. everything from the characters/casting, the dialog and the plot are shit. The movie is your modern crappy action horror. Adrien Brody is playing batman, Morpheus changes characters in less than 3 minutes and most of the cast is just there for cannon fodder.

The writing/dialog is some of the worst i've heard in a long time. It's like it was written for people with severe ADHD. Brodys character sticks out the most since he seems to be psychic and knows everything thats going on in a matter of seconds even though he's on a fucking alien world.

The idea and concept behind this movie is good, the execution is terrible.

black_13

Banned
After the first Predator movie I'd rank this the next best. That's not saying much but its still enjoyable at least.

I don't see how anyone can not like this after watching the two god awful AvP movies.

hayejin said:
I see many plot hole questions being asked but how come no one is questioning
Predators can somehow watch over individual lives on planet earth, not just outside but inside a fucking doctor's office and figure out Topher is serial killer and even teleport these individuals out of thin air and yet they can only see via infra red? How do they figure out who's a bad motherfer wand who isnt when they were monitoring who to teleport when all they can see is just heat signatures?
The Predators, at least going by their games and movies have several vision modes. Since they can also effectively go invisible, I can see them being able to observe anyone they want also for as long as they want. If for some reason they couldn't tell humans apart by their vision, in the movies and in the last AVP game, they would also record human voices and play it back later, so they could identify by that too. They probably have tracking devices too. All it would take is for the Predator to stumble upon him killing someone, and then they would follow him around. It's kind of weird imagining the agreement they had taking place if anything. But my beef with the film:
Whose bright idea was it to kill off the old Predator after getting an awesome entrance with his theme?
It's also been exactly 20 years since we saw the old Predator, and they did that. Oh well. And yes, the Predator is my favorite movie monster.

I saw this on Blu-Ray. Definitely better than the AvP movies and had its share of cool moments but nothing special.

They ripped off too many things from the first movie and I know they're supposed to be homages but to me they just felt like rip-offs. The minigun, "Do it kill me now!" the Billy-esque Yakuza guy (real Yakuza probably wouldn't know what to do with a samurai sword, btw), etc.

Adrian Brody's character figured out way too many things way too fast "This is a game reserve, and we're the game." How the fuck did you figure that out? There were at least 5 times he did something like that.

Lawrence Fishburne's character also seemed pointless. He goes out of his way to save Topher Grace so that he can smoke them out later in the movie? What was the point of that? And then he's gone very shortly after. Pointless. And what was that thing that was chasing Topher? Another animal? I was a bit confused about that as well.

I didn't mind the plot twist at the end with Topher. He was somewhat interesting unlike almost every other character. Adiran Brody made a surprisingly decent action star, most of the others were undeveloped cliches just waiting to get killed.

Danny Trejo death scene was also cool.

Also the deus ex machina at the beginning makes no sense. How do they get the recon on all these people and magically transport them to this planet? It did feel like they ripped off the beginning of cube, saw, etc. with characters appearing somewhere strange and having no memory of how they got there.

It wasn't a horrible movie and was quite entertaining for the 1:45 that it lasted, however it wasn't great nor worth a re-watch. The reason why the first Predator movie was so cool was because we as the audience have no idea what kind of monster that they're facing. So the fear of Arnie and his crew is the same as our fear. Unfortunately with the sequels we know everything there is to know about these creatures and we're just waiting for the characters in the movie to get caught up with us. And since we know everything about them, they're not as interesting anymore. Aliens worked because it expanded the scope of Alien by taking it from a horror movie to an action movie with a vietnam war allegory. Plus it had great characters, great script, great pacing, etc. And whereas the first Alien had only 1 Alien, Aliens had multiple aliens and the queen alien. Predators was basically the same as Predator but with a worse script, worse characters, and enemies that were uninteresting because we knew everything about them already (except the pointless super-Predators that hate the regular predators).

If I wasn't a huge predator fan I'd say the movie was a lame sci-fi action movie, but because I am such a huge fan of Predator I found it to be fun and entertaining, but also underwhelming at the same time. The AV club review of this summed it up well saying "They didn't keep it fresh and added nothing new to the series."

Besides the last 20 minutes, I still don't like this movie. The whole rehash plot of the first movie is so boring. This franchise needs something exciting. Ever since reading Judge Dredd vs Predator I'd love to see that visualized.

As an audience member am I supposed to know that? The super predators are sending prototypes of the predator from the first movie after them? Or is it an animal indigenous to the planet? Or is it an animal sent by the predators to kill them (like the dogs with the horns)? Or was it the thing from the cages? I was never sure what was in the cages. At first I thought the predators came in them but then they showed the spaceship later on.

Adrian Brody's character figured out way too many things way too fast "This is a game reserve, and we're the game." How the fuck did you figure that out? There were at least 5 times he did something like that.

Why else would someone abduct you then set you free with guns on some alien planet?

Synth_floyd said:
As an audience member am I supposed to know that? The super predators are sending prototypes of the predator from the first movie after them? Or is it an animal indigenous to the planet? Or is it an animal sent by the predators to kill them (like the dogs with the horns)? Or was it the thing from the cages? I was never sure what was in the cages. At first I thought the predators came in them but then they showed the spaceship later on.
The idea is it was just some weird creature on that planet. I don't think the Predators sent it out but who knows. It doesn't matter either way. It just helps to make the planet seem more dangerous.

So then what was in the cages? I think I saw some cages dropping down at the end, so the predators also dropped animals on the planet to hunt them too?

That would make the most sense. They hunt Xenomorphs so they would probably go to other planets and collect dangerous creatures to hunt. Anyway, although it might not work, I want to watch a movie from the perspective of a Predator. We've had so many movies with people running around wondering what's killing them, but the audience already knows by now, so who cares? AVP Requiem is definitely a modern day B movie, but at least we got to see a Predator get down to business and be badass from his viewpoint of things for some of the film. I don't know what it would be about, but they can't just rehash a movie from 1987 again and again, because they can't top it and it's unnecessary.

TheOddOne

Synth_floyd said:
Lawrence Fishburne's character also seemed pointless. He goes out of his way to save Topher Grace so that he can smoke them out later in the movie? What was the point of that? And then he's gone very shortly after. Pointless. And what was that thing that was chasing Topher? Another animal? I was a bit confused about that as well.
Funny fact: the thing chasing Topher was an abandoned prototype for The Predator. Maby they put it in as a joke for the really hardcore.

the_zombie_luke said:
That would make the most sense. They hunt Xenomorphs so they would probably go to other planets and collect dangerous creatures to hunt. Anyway, although it might not work, I want to watch a movie from the perspective of a Predator. We've had so many movies with people running around wondering what's killing them, but the audience already knows by now, so who cares? AVP Requiem is definitely a modern day B movie, but at least we got to see a Predator get down to business and be badass from his viewpoint of things for some of the film. I don't know what it would be about, but they can't just rehash a movie from 1987 again and again, because they can't top it and it's unnecessary.

Exactly. If/When they do another predator movie they should do it from the perspective of the Predators, show their home planet, show more about their culture, maybe try and canonize some aspects of the Predators and make the Predators the protagonists, with the humans (or maybe some other non-Xenomorph species) the antagonists.

If you look at some of the great sequels (Terminator 2, Aliens, Godfather 2, Empire Strikes Back) they always mixed it up from the previous film in some way. The Predator series needs something like that to save it.

Mr. Sam

TheOddOne said:
Funny fact: the thing chasing Topher was an abandoned prototype for The Predator. Maby they put it in as a joke for the really hardcore.

The running tree thing?

I kind of prefer that to the final design.

Truant said:
I thought they said the creature chasing Eric was another captive from one of the cages?

Yes. It was kinda obvious as the movie showed the cages and the creature both having those little bug things.

Though the cages would imply they belong to the Predators similar like the hounds? I mean, they didn't drop the humans in cages. On the other hand it would make sense to train with various species.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just watched this and Predator back to back. Nice movies but I didn't like guns in Predators. They didn't seem to have any power while guns in the original mowed down jungles pretty nice (still not realistic but we don't talk about realism in these movies).

Just rented this on blu ray and it took me quite awhile to watch it because of the GAF hate force going on when it was in theatres.

Big mistake...I really enjoyed this movie.

I understood all plot points, but I have read a few aliens vs predator comics and know the lore pretty well. Yes, being able to pick out the baddest dudes off planet earth and have space ships but only have infrared sensors is kinda crazy, but damn, i dont take summer action movies as serious as some of you i guess. I think thats really the only plothole in it.

Crazy alien chasing topher? did you notice the bugs crawling on it. refer back to the crate they first discovered at the beginning of the movie. They not only drop humans on the planet, but also other aliens for them to hunt.

Crazy fishburne smoking them out? Someone yells, he wants out belongings. Fishburne probably always lures humans back to his place, and then kills them all so he can steal weapons supplies. simple.

I liked all the characters, and the samurai sword fight was sick. This movie looks so good on blu ray.

Forgot to mention at about half way through I noticed my girlfriend was really into the movie. So i was trying to explain some of the parts from "predator" and she says in predator voice "your one ugly motha fucka" and I realize shes already seen the original and likes it. Told her i love her, hahaha

Hero

Just redboxed this last night.

Awful in most regards.

Are we seriously supposed to believe that Predators are monitoring humans on Earth and figuring out who are the best killers and hunters on the planet so they can kidnap them, strap parachutes on them and drop them off on a preserve? That's a retarded ass premise.

Inconsistency in everything. The shoulder mounted rifle only burns a hole through the Russian guy's chest but makes Laurence's character explode? Why is it some explosives attached to that dude managed to make a ridiculous wave of fire that nearly toasted everyone else but all the grenades strapped onto Topher's character didn't do shit to the Predator? Not a single piece of shrapnel in him at all?

The Predator could make the ship autopilot itself towards Earth and the other Predator had a self destruct activation code? Why not just have it turn around and park itself back? Oh, duh, cuz we need another explosion and sense that Brody's character died.

The Yakuza guy was able to kill a Predator with a katana almost effortlessly but Brody had to hack the shit out of him with an axe?

There were some decent parts to the movie but so many flaws to it. I'm pretty sure this franchise is never going to match the original's level of awesome.

Finally watched Predators tonight. I thought it was okay until
Lawrence Fishburne
showed up, it seemed to really fall apart after that. It went from stupid but enjoyable to just bad. A few questions I seem to have missed some things along the way.

How did these guys get on the island? Harvested individually by the Predators or where they given up by their militaries/countries in some kind of arrangement.
Neither one seems very plausable and I don't think the movie touched on it at all unless I missed a scene.

The doctor. WTF? From what I'm reading he was a serial killer. How did I miss that scene and why does he try to kill the chick at the end?

Why kill Danny Trejo so soon? Seriously that was some cheap shit.

Darklord

Banned
Repairman_Jack7 said:
How did these guys get on the island? Harvested individually by the Predators or where they given up by their militaries/countries in some kind of arrangement.
Neither one seems very plausable and I don't think the movie touched on it at all unless I missed a scene.

The predators picked some of earths most lethal humans and put them on a planet which they use as a hunting ground. The predators obviously keep an eye on earth and pick them when necessary

The doctor. WTF? From what I'm reading he was a serial killer. How did I miss that scene and why does he try to kill the chick at the end?

He pretty much said it and why did he try
to kill her? He's a serial killer!

Hero said:
Are we seriously supposed to believe that Predators are monitoring humans on Earth and figuring out who are the best killers and hunters on the planet so they can kidnap them, strap parachutes on them and drop them off on a preserve? That's a retarded ass premise.
You know that humans actually engage in activity like this, right? Take bull riding for example or bull fighting. They rear and observe to find the biggest, most aggressive bulls and put them into a stage for competition to see who can subdue them. There are also private game reserves where they capture animals like lions and rhinos from Africa for private hunting parties.

Hero said:
Inconsistency in everything. The shoulder mounted rifle only burns a hole through the Russian guy's chest but makes Laurence's character explode?
I'd say it's analogous to the M16+M203. Why wouldn't their weapons have two fire modes?

Hero said:
The Yakuza guy was able to kill a Predator with a katana almost effortlessly but Brody had to hack the shit out of him with an axe?
Have you ever used an ax? A katana is a blade that's designed to cut. An ax is a blade that's designed to hack/split. They serve two different purposes and are designed to be used differently.

These aren't really inconsistencies, IMO.

The plasma caster charges, that's why it maims some and explodes others.

In the first Predator, Blain gets a hole put through his chest, later onPoncho takes one to his head and it doesn't make a bloody stump of his head. Arnie (I know it's Arnie) takes one in the arm and doesn't get his blown off.

Action films people.

Finally caught this on blu-ray. Aside from the casting and sucky dialog which were pretty bad, the worst part of this movie for me was that the Predators didn't do anything but walk a few steps like Robocop and scream. The bits that were supposed to be funny fell flat, except for fat Fishburne, he was funny.

LosDaddie

Banned
Some of you put too much thought into movies. It must ruin a ton of movies for you. :lol This was a Summer action flick. Buy some popcorn and sit back for the action.

Anyway, I bought this on blu-ray for $10 (BB black friday deal) and finally watched it last weekend (I saw it in the theaters). Still a solid movie. Will watch again a few more times with friends/family.

dankir

LosDaddie said:
Some of you put too much thought into movies. It must ruin a ton of movies for you. :lol This was a Summer action flick. Buy some popcorn and sit back for the action.

Anyway, I bought this on blu-ray for $10 (BB black friday deal) and finally watched it last weekend (I saw it in the theaters). Still a solid movie. Will watch again a few more times with friends/family.

Yeah I finally got around to opening my copy today and watched it. It was silly but good fun. I'm surprised at the lack of gore though.

Morpheous kerploding was pretty funny actually and the best kill was the spine rip on the convict.

I do agree that Brody was a little too smart for his own good but this is definitely the real sequel to Predator 1987.

Sorry Danny Glover :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Talk about being LTTP, I finally saw this movie last night. I thought it was well-made, but I just couldn't buy Adrian Brody as a killer. Probably because of his past work mostly, but him in that role just dodn't work for me. He looks like such a nice dude, not menacing at all.

But the rest of the movie was fine. I REALLY liked how it was shot. Looking at it on blu-ray looked incredible in some scenes. I quite enjoyed it, but Adrian just was miscast, IMO. Seemed like everything with him was forced.

Predator>Predators>AVP1>>Predator 2>>>>>>>>>>AVP2

Predator is on the television. Love that movie.

I also really love Predators. I wanna see that again. Any word on a sequel? I really enjoyed the movie.

McNei1y

I really liked Predators. Predator is obviously the best but this movie really surprised me. I also thought Adrian Brody did a fantastic job. I will definitely watch a sequel, if there is one.

Also, that scene in the tall grass. Pretty dope.

This movie is by no means great or anything but I always liked Adrian Brody's casting. It's unconventional and it works for me.

Also the opening scene is awesome.

WX3

Predator is my all time favorite movie! If there was one wish I could have regarding movies, it would be to experience Predator again for the first time. This new movie, Predators, didn't do that for me, however, I still really enjoyed it and need to see it again! I saw it in the theatre, but haven't rewatched it since the DVD came out which is really surprising to me. I wouldn't even remember the movie if I had not stumbled upon this thread!

black_13

Banned
Man how could you not enjoy this especially compared to the AvP garbage we had before? It doesn't match the first Predator movie, but almost no sequel/prequel matches the goodness of the first movie.

Adrian Brody definitely impressed me.

Hindle

Banned
Aye this was pretty decent, a respectable attempt anyway. They started killing off the characters a bit too early imo. Could have done with a bit more characterisation for each.

Predator is on the television. Love that movie.

I also really love Predators. I wanna see that again. Any word on a sequel? I really enjoyed the movie.

You're a bad person.

On a more serious note, what would a sequel entail? More fighting against Predators? Would become boring, maybe see Brody and co traveling to the Predator homeworld? Or maybe a Shyamaladingdong twist where they were really on Earth the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom