• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Will Breath of the Wild break 10million WW?

Breath of the Wild is the most important game in Nintendo's history, being the flagship of the Switch launch.

tumblr_inline_obddk5RIVy1qderj8_500.gif

Floody

If it gets heavily bundled or ported to future platforms I think so, otherwise nope, probably top out in the 7-8 million range.

BriGuy

Depends on the success of the Switch. If it sells 40-50 million units over its lifetime, then I suppose it's possible for BotW to crack 10 million. Probably still a long shot.

Apt101

It depends on whether or not Nintendo can manage to ship 10+ million Switches within the next several months. Interest in the game, as with most games, is going to wane a lot as each week passes.

_Clash_

Most important game in Nintendo's history ?

Not even top 10. But it is going to remain a very big fish in a very small pond for longer than any other Nintendo title due to market conditions, so I think it has a good shot.

Top 10 let's go

It definitely has a shot. I think Mario Odyssey will get 10 million, though. The hype, nostalgia, and brand awareness for Mario is pretty big right now.

Kill3r7

10 million is a huge number. The fact that no Zelda game has done it before is a good indication of how tall a task it is.

It definitely has a shot. I think Mario Odyssey will get 10 million, though. The hype, nostalgia, and brand awareness for Mario is pretty big right now.

That trailer is almost at 20 million. Who keeps watching it lol

Anyways, yeah Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey is going to sell big

Ocarina's "11.42 million" is a pretty irrelevant number, because a huge chunk of that is going to be overlap. So Twilight Princess is going to be the game to look at, as the overlap is going to be pretty slim and the console split is most analogous to Wii U/Switch. Then the question becomes more "Will Breath of the Wild be the best selling Zelda ever", to which I say... maybe? I'm not going to say it's surefire, since ~9 million+ units is a lot no matter who you slice it, but the momentum behind Breath of the Wild seems so much greater than that of Twilight Princess, the game is widely regarded to be one of the best - if not the best of all time (a distinction Twilight Princess didn't quite have even at its highest point), and it seemingly has broader appeal. But then the odds of the Switch reaching Wii levels of success are slim-to-none and it's difficult to tell just how much that massive 100 million unit install base contributed.

BD1

Banned
I think it's got the best chance. Breath of the Wild is in rare air critically and word of mouth, and it will continue to be a (the) marquee Switch title for the entire year. Considering the story expansion DLC this Q4, during the Switch's first holiday, and I think it's going to perform incredibly well this year.

Twilight Princess couldn't, even with the Wii launch, but I would argue it was distant to Wii Sports in the minds of the mass audience.

gdt

Doubt it. 3D console Marios sell a fraction of what the 2D ones sell.

Check out the Galaxy and 3D World sales versus the 2D console and handheld games. It's bizarre.

Check out the Galaxy and 3D World sales versus the 2D console and handheld games. It's bizarre.

Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy both broke 10 million. I think if the Switch continues to sale, its got a shot.

Plus Mario seems to be more relevant nowadays

Nah, I see it topping out somewhere between 5m-7m lifetime. People aren't buying Wii Us for it and I'm bearish about where the Switch is going.

It will do more than I'm guessing if the game ever appears on other devices.

Mario Galaxy hit nearly 13 million and Mario 64 hit nearly 12, so I think 10 million is at the very least plausible for Odyssey.

bigjig

I think it really depends on how well it keeps selling when other titles come out. Right now on the Switch there is Zelda and a whole heap of fuck all else. I sense that sales will dwindle once Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey come out

Luigiv

Not impossible but not guaranteed. I guess it'll really depend on how well the Switch continues to sell and what sort of legs BotW can show.

Traditionally Zelda games haven't been super leggy the in the same way other Nintendo franchises like Mario and Pokemon have, but BotW does have the odds stacked in it's favour to exceed the series norm. It's a launch title, on a system with strong core appeal, releasing in a market climate where it's easier than ever for big AAA releases to move millions of units. But at the same time 10m units is still a very tall order, so I guess we'll see.

Mario Galaxy hit nearly 13 million and Mario 64 hit nearly 12, so I think 10 million is at the very least plausible for Odyssey.

Yeah just depends on switch sales. If its a 40-50 million machine then its got a good shot, but if it ends up doing 20-30 its gonna be hard.

EhoaVash

Nah

Switch has sold like what 3 million?

So 3 million copies of Zelda on Switch + Wii u version probably sold like less than 1 million due to how much they probably undershipped that version.

Even when the Wii u sold like 13 million, it's biggest selling game Mario kart 8 only sold like 8 million units.

I see 0.5-1 million on Wii U and 5-7 million on Switch.

I mean Link Between Worlds was also heralded and while a full 3D Zelda has more appeal and it being heralded as game of the generation increases those numbers but not to 3 times as much. I see Switch even if very successful as closer to 3DS sales than those of Wii or DS.

The sheer length of the game and the promise of dlc later should keep a much higher proportion of copies out of the second hand market than there were for twilight princess which will force more people to buy new

That would depend on Switch sales. It can do it barring no other competing game comes out of that quality that would make consumers forget the game.

Look at GTA V. It's constantly sellng well because new PS4/X1 users are buying that game. It's the goto game for this gen but I don't think Zelda is there yet because Zelda BOTW is the only Switch game in reality to get now.

gdt

The sheer length of the game and the promise of dlc later should keep a much higher proportion of copies out of the second hand market than there were for twilight princess which will force more people to buy new

Twilight Princess was long as fuck too. I remember my first play through being like 73 hours.

People don't finish games anyway so I'm not sure how that affects the used game market. Interesting thought though....

watershed

Banned
Let's see what the numbers are at the end of the year. The attach rate is probably crazy right now and I predict it will be an evergreen title for the Switch. It may even make it's way into a bundle though MK8 or Splatoon2 seem more likely candidates.

Nah

So 3 million copies of Zelda on Switch + Wii u version probably sold like less than 1 million due to how much they probably undershipped that version.

Even when the Wii u sold like 13 million, it's biggest selling game Mario kart 8 only sold like 8 million units.

Switch is probably currently closer to 2.5 million meaning zelda on switch is probably somewhere between 2 and 2.25 million

Even so though and you saying zelda wont sell any more?

Nah

So...

Are you assuming that what, the Switch will never sell any more units, or that only the first 3 million Switch owners will be able to buy Zelda? I don't get this post.

Twilight Princess was long as fuck too. I remember my first play through being like 73 hours.

People don't finish games anyway so I'm not sure how that affects the used game market. Interesting thought though....

And most botw owners i know are well over 100 hours and still not finished, its a much bigger game than TP

I doubt it? If Twilight Princess didn't do it on the gigantic Wii launch wave, I don't see BoTW doing it.

Pretty much this

But Breath of the Wild isn't Twilight Princess.

It's gotten far higher praise than Twilight Princess ever did, it's selling faster than Twilight Princess did (Reggie said it's their fastest selling launch game ever, which would include TP on Wii), it's a far fresher experience (Twilight Princess was essentially the 4th "Ocarina of Time"-style game, whereas this the beginning of a whole new paradigm for the franchise), and it appears to have broader appeal among those who weren't already franchise fans.

The Wii's enormous install base is definitely a factor, but I wouldn't claim it's the sole one and write off the chances entirely.

Yeah I think it will, and I don't think it'll take very long either. Maybe 3 years?

The reception this game has gotten is pretty incredible, and it's easily cemented itself as the must buy game to get on Switch. If Nintendo's estimates of 18 million Switches by April 2018 pan out (which I find fairly unlikely but possible) then I expect BotW to be close to 50% of that if not more. Almost definitely 10m by 2020 in my opinion.

gdt

And most botw owners i know are well over 100 hours and still not finished, its a much bigger game than TP

Absolutely. But if gamers as a whole don't finish games, what's the difference between 70 and 100 hours :)

Edit: in terms of affecting the second hand market

btkadams

I really don't think so. I think it's an amazing game, but Zelda just doesn't have that pull these days (in my opinion). Nintendo will have other 10+ million sellers though. Hello Pokemon.

If MARIO can't hit 10 mil then Zelda definitely won't lol.

If it does have a chance to hit 10 million, it has until Mario comes out. After that, who knows what'll push switches out the door. Lifetime I can see it close, but nothing right away.. and most certainly not Nintendos most important game. Does MK not exist?!

kswiston

Twilight Princess couldn't, even with the Wii launch, but I would argue it was distant to Wii Sports in the minds of the mass audience.

Not early on in the US it wasn't. November + December 2006 for the Wii was just over 1.1M according to old NPD reports. Twilight Princess Wii sold just shy of 950k in the US during that same timeframe. An 86% attach rate.

Top Bottom