• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Obama Holds a Press Conference Ahead of His Trip Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upset no one asked him to comment on the protests going on as well as the recent cases of violence towards both Clinton and Trump supporters.

Trey

"Perfect is unobtainable, better is good" is a perfect capsule of Barack Obama's presidency. Such competent pragmatism.

BlueWord

What can he do? America had it's chance to show they cared, they don't. Trump should be answering that question now.

Not laying this at Obama's feet. I appreciate his honesty, in spite of the grim future it portends. I don't expect the incoming administration will be nearly so candid.

RPGCrazied

To much optimism and normalizing of Trump from Obama. I get why he had to do it though, to not cause mass hysteria around the country, but with all due respect Trump has already done that.

Jeels

Upset no one asked him to comment on the protests going on as well as the recent cases of violence towards both Clinton and Trump supporters.

He already touched on that...Democrats need to campaign better and 47% of the electorate needs to actually go and vote.

neshcom

Banned

I mean, what would he say that isn't glaringly obvious? It's much more important to find out whatever we can about that meeting between Obama and Trump and gauge his initial impressions. Much better to get people acclimated to the idea that this thing is happening than to spend even more time saying people are upset.

Obama and Bernie need to bring someone up that's going to lead the DNC. Someone young but also someone who can listen. But at the same time, finds a way to play hard-ball politics like the hardest of Republicans (i.e. having enough leverage so that we don't have to play compromise all the damn time with progress obstructing GOP members).
No. They need to provide a framework in which the voters decide as clear as possible. This anointment of chosen one leaves you blind to voters concerns and candidates affinity and alignment with the public.

NastyBook

He is throwing shade at the Clinton campaign for relying on demographic calculations and not campaigning:

Clinton campaign schedule:
http://www.p2016.org/clinton/clintoncal0816.html
August 18 - New York, NY
August 19 - Martha's Vineyard, MA
August 20 - Nantucket, MA, Martha's Vineyard, MA - 5 fundraisers
August 21 - Provincetown, MA, Osterville, MA - 2 fundraisers
August 22 - Beverly Hills, CA - 2 fundraisers
August 23 - Los Angeles, CA, Laguna Beach, CA, Piedmont, CA - 4 fundraisers
August 24 - Redwood City, CA, Los Altos, CA, Woodside, CA - 3 fundraisers
August 25 - Reno, NV - urban swing state campaign event
August 26 - None
August 27 - White Plains, NY
August 28 - Sag Harbor, NY, Southampton, NY, Bridgehampton, NY - 3 fundraisers
August 29 - East Hampton, NY, Quogue, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 30 - Sagaponack, NY, North Haven, NY - 2 fundraisers
August 31 - Cincinnati, OH - urban swing state campaign event

22 fundraising events, 2 visits to urban areas of swing states

This was Obama's schedule in the same period in 2008:
https://www2.gwu.edu/~action/2008/obamacal0808.html
August 18 - Albuquerque, NM
August 19 - Orlando, FL, Raleigh, NC
August 20 - Greensboro, NC, Martinsville, VA, Danville, VA, Lynchburg, VA
August 21 - Richmond, VA, Chester, VA, Petersburg, VA, Emporia, VA, Chesapeake, VA
August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 23 - Springfield, IL
August 24 - Eau Claire, WI
August 25 - Davenport, IA, Kansas City, MO
August 26 - Kansas City, MO
August 27 - Billings, MT, Denver, CO
August 28 - Denver, CO
August 29 - Monaca, PA, Aliquippa, PA, Beaver, PA
August 30 - Boardman, OH, Cleveland, OH, Marengo, OH, Dublin, OH
August 31 - Lima, OH, Toledo, OH, Hamilton, IN, Battle Creek, MI

0 fundraisers, multiple visits to urban and rural swing state areas.

The September calendars:
Obama - 5 fundraisers, visits to Detroit, MI, Monroe, MI, Milwaukee, WI, New Philadelphia, OH, Dillonvale, OH, York, PA, Columbia, PA, Lancaster, PA, Duryea, PA, Wyoming, PA, Terre Haute, IN, Flint, MI, Farmington Hills, MI, Riverside, OH, Green Bay, WI, Detroit, MI.

Clinton - 14 fundraisers, 1 visit to Philadelphia, 1 visit to Cleveland -- that's it for the Rust Belt in September!
What the...FUCK!!!?!?!?

She spent way too much time in fucking NY and Cali. What a fucking joke, OMFG...

Averon

Don't really blame Obama for throwing Clinton under the bus given what we know now about how Clinton campaigned. Makes the 8 years of work and frustration he endured almost meaningless since the GOP will quickly erased all that he accomplished.

He is throwing shade at the Clinton campaign for relying on demographic calculations and not campaigning:

August 18 - New York, NY
August 26 - None

August 21 - Richmond, VA, Chester, VA, Petersburg, VA, Emporia, VA, Chesapeake, VA
August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 28 - Denver, CO

The September calendars:
Obama - 5 fundraisers, visits to Detroit, MI, Monroe, MI, Milwaukee, WI, New Philadelphia, OH, Dillonvale, OH, York, PA, Columbia, PA, Lancaster, PA, Duryea, PA, Wyoming, PA, Terre Haute, IN, Flint, MI, Farmington Hills, MI, Riverside, OH, Green Bay, WI, Detroit, MI.

Clinton - 14 fundraisers, 1 visit to Philadelphia, 1 visit to Cleveland -- that's it for the Rust Belt in September!
Thats a whole lot of "campaigning" in NY and Cali, states she couldve won without ever stepping foot in. And if fundraising was the issue, why werent high level surrogates sent?

August 18 - New York, NY
August 26 - None

August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 28 - Denver, CO

The September calendars:

Why should Hilary interact with the unwashed masses? They owed her their vote by default, after all she is a Clinton and the first potential female President

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

August 18 - New York, NY
August 26 - None

August 22 - Chicago, IL
August 28 - Denver, CO

The September calendars:

Obama being completely honest. Probably a little irked with the Hillary campaign to say the least.

Raven117

Certainly one can nitpick some of his policies as like many other Presidents before him, he was put in impossible situations, but as a President of the United States representing us on the world stage, he is a class act.

Gutek

Trumps main method of data was his children showing him 270towin on a fucking iPad. She has zero excuses with all her help and supposed ground game to not know where to campaign or how much would be needed

Data is bullshit. You need to connect with humans.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad Obama is throwing the DNC under the bus there, maybe that'll help them wake the fuck up and not just blame the FBI.

SpecX

I'm glad Obama is throwing the DNC under the bus there, maybe that'll help them wake the fuck up and not just blame the FBI.

I hope so, but kind of doubt it as well. They better not ever shove Hillary at us again, she doesn't deserve to be the top running contender again at this point, especially if she's not going to reach out to people's needs rather than their donations.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Be a little fair though. That letter did sway a good portion of people. Between that, 47% not voting, is what did her in.

Absolutely, but I think the damage done by the letter would have been mitigated if the people receptive to such tactics had personally saw her and talked to her. I also know that the letter and this aren't the only reasons either, but I think at this point they need to face some guilt in order to change things.

I hope so, but kind of doubt it as well. They better not ever shove Hillary at us again, she doesn't deserve to be the top running contender again at this point, especially if she's not going to reach out to people's needs rather than their donations.

They won't. She lost; she's done.

liquidtmd

Banned
Best case scenario is that Trump calls obama nightly for the next 4 years for advice or something...

idk.

A vision of the future for the Obamas

IMG_0734.JPG

Vena

Lmao I guess Dave was right about Obama having Trump shook.

Got him walking back his NATO comments in the presence of Barry O.

Trump's already going in circles, Obama to be an advisor? What?

The man not only got in over his head, he's spooked out of it too.

I could also completely see Obama spending four years holding Trump's hand, but the cabinet and current appointees are what make me fearful.

Big Nikus

I hope journalists won't hold back during Trump's press conferences. It will be brutal, as it should, and he will constantly embarass himself. I mean, he already does, but doing it as the president in front of so many journalists, it's gonna be something to behold.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

On the Iran deal: the US is no the only country on the deal, the US can put sanctions again on Iran, but other countries probably won't. Plus, if you put sanctions on Iran, would you put sanctions on the countries who refuse to put sanctions on them again? Plus, the deal has been shown to be effective, even Israel has acknowledged it.

On the Paris deals: Essentially "you have to be an idiot not to see that we're getting jobs and money by going green. Even Texas is starting to go green for fuck's sakes" Plus, other countries are heading into that direction.

He just arrived in Athens, I was watching it live on TV.
Btw everything is closed in the center today for security reasons
I had to use the bus in order to go to work, because the metro was off limits!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
But if she won in a world where the FBI didn't get involved, it would be despite fucking up her campaign and not because it was good.

And if she won we would be saying "wow she did it without campaigning that much and against Russia, the FBI, the republicans, sexism, etc etc"

I'm not defending her campaign schedule at all, but the loser is always going to be the one doing the wrong moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom