• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President's lawyers may offer Mueller a meeting with Trump

Dierce

We all know orange turd is going to lie. But he is an idiot, he'll probably end up contradicting himself at some point.

Never in the history of mankind has such an oblivious evil idiot been defended by so many.

What possible downside to taking this meeting is there from Mueller's side? I don't see one.

The two most likely outcomes are you catch him lying and add it to the charges, or he self incriminates.

The worst case scenario is you get nothing from it. I don't think they have anything to lose, and Trump sure sounds like he has more than job satisfaction ratings to worry about.

I won't lie, this worries me a little bit. I hope that GAF is right and that it's just amateur hour at the legal team and not some 4D chess where Trump ends up with a stronger position.

Trump is one of these guys that lie so much he believes his lies are true. Similar to say a Roger Clemens who honestly believes he never took performance enhancing drugs. In other words he fucking delusional.

CDX

Yeah I bet they would offer that. Much better for them to just have a casual chat than if Trump's words and statements are actually under oath.

He probably never spoke to Russians about helping with the election directly. We have so much dirt on Manafort and Flynn, but we have literally nothing on Trump himself.

"We" as in the general public know his son actively sought the help of Russia. Trump himself definitely knew about it as a result. That's not "nothing."

"We" as in Mueller's team, no one knows what they have on Trump directly.

Shadybiz

He probably never spoke to Russians about helping with the election directly. We have so much dirt on Manafort and Flynn, but we have literally nothing on Trump himself.

THAT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD. There is a massive difference between what the media knows and what Mueller's team knows; you can count on it.

GodofWine

He needs 2 interviews with him. So he can see how much the story changes the second time.

This is also a "I want the truth / you can't handle the truth / yes I ordered a code red" potential moment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
THAT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD. There is a massive difference between what the media knows and what Mueller's team knows; you can count on it.

I'm half-convinced Gutek is a Russian troll that's purposely sewing doubt. All his posts are about how "Trump is invincible, give up, nothing matters, give in to facism"

2d594eb5-9c3a-44e4-9f51-6b863edcba6b.gif

Shadybiz

I'm half-convinced Gutek is a Russian troll that's purposely sewing doubt. All his posts are about how "Trump is invincible, give up, nothing matters, give in to facism"

Oh yeah I'm with you...it's important to call him out on his bullshit when it's seen, to help prevent his "thinking" from infecting gaffers with anxiety who are susceptible to buying into that kind of shit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel it would be in the investigations best interest to not meet with Trump until indictments occur.

Receipts?

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not, but here we go:

1. Jr sets up the meeting promising damaging information about Hilary. A couple days before the meeting, Donald gives a speech where hepromises to announce damaging information about Hilary the following week, which, at minimum, implies he knew Jr might get him some.

2. The day of the meeting, Donald returns to Trump Tower around 2pm. The meeting takes place at 4pm, and Donald tweets after the meeting for the first time ever about Hilary's missing/deleted 30,000 emails. Where'd this nugget of information come from, I wonder. ::thinkingemoji::

3. Trump personally dictated Jr's response to the reports about the meeting, and spoilers, the response was not "it did not happen" but rather it is not a big deal/adoptions.

Gutek

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not, but here we go:

1. Jr sets up the meeting promising damaging information about Hilary. A couple days before the meeting, Donald gives a speech where hepromises to announce damaging information about Hilary the following week, which, at minimum, implies he knew Jr might get him some.

2. The day of the meeting, Donald returns to Trump Tower around 2pm. The meeting takes place at 4pm, and Donald tweets after the meeting for the first time ever about Hilary's missing/deleted 30,000 emails. Where'd this nugget of information come from, I wonder. ::thinkingemoji::

3. Trump personally dictated Jr's response to the reports about the meeting, and spoilers, the response was not "it did not happen" but rather it is not a big deal/adoptions.

This is circumstantial evidence at best.

Saya

Mueller should take the meeting. Just sit there not saying anything. Let the tape recorder roll and stare him in the eyes. No doubt Trump will incriminate himself within a minute.

Gutek

I’m actually saying the opposite. Don’t sit idly by and hope Mueller is going to end this. Take to the streets. Protest.

Meifu

"And we told Putin, do it, do it and lets beat that hillary clown. and I'd do it again. hack the servers!"

LifEndz

Oh please. After what he did in that interview with Lester Holt, I can’t even imagine what he would say to Mueller and his team.

Tovarisc

Are they really insane enough to let this happen? Putting Trump into same room with Mueller doesn't sound very smart plan.

KDR_11k

I guess he doesn't care that you should never talk to the feds.

It’s a familiar tale. Martha Stewart was convicted not of insider trading, but of lying to the feds during their insider trading investigation. Scooter Libby wasn’t convicted of leaking Valerie Plame’s identity; he was convicted of lying to the FBI and the grand jury about it. Marine biologist Nancy Black wasn’t convicted of annoying a whale; she was convicted of lying to investigators about whether she annoyed a whale.

Section 1001, the statute criminalizing certain lies to the federal government, is an extremely useful instrument for federal investigators. It’s a backstop, a fail-safe, a way to generate a winnable charge even if the underlying investigation is murky or difficult. Federal agents routinely ask questions even though they already know the answer. They might – to take an example from one of my clients – ask you if you were at a particular meeting even though they have a recording of you at that meeting and witnesses placing you at that meeting. If you lie, you’ve committed a federal crime.

BriGuy

Trump would lie about what transpired and then make Twitter claims that he was completely cleared off suspicion. When Mueller attempts to contradict him, he'll then claim the "Democrats got to him" and use it as justification to fire him or at least muddy the waters of public perception.

I follow this former prosecutor on Twitter who is always talking about Mueller investigation and always does this amazing threads about all the discoveries.

His opinion is interesting:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/918449526222016512?

Basically, its better to wait and leave his interview for last. Lawyers want now because Mueller having less info, less of a chance of asking anything too specific and they can deny other interviews later claiming they were already interviewed. Not only that but since we are still in the middle of the investigation, Trump gets to say that it was all fake and he was interviewed and nothing happened etc.

PS - How do you embed tweets?

daveo42

Banned
Trump will inadvertently spill the beans to Mueller, thinking he's boasting to him about how great he is and why he shouldn't be investigated because he did nothing wrong.

Takuan

I follow this former prosecutor on Twitter who is always talking about Mueller investigation and always does this amazing threads about all the discoveries.

Basically, its better to wait and leave his interview for last. Lawyers want now because Mueller having less info, less of a chance of asking anything too specific and they can deny other interviews later claiming they were already interviewed. Not only that but since we are still in the middle of the investigation, Trump gets to say that it was all fake and he was interviewed and nothing happened etc.

Figures there was more to this than just "ha ha stupid Trump lawyers". Based Henatch.

It also can backfire spectacularly. Who's to say Mueller doesn't have a plethora of circumstantial evidence, and he just needs Trump to confirm a few things? They have been investigating for a year and half now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why would you send a pathological liar to discuss obstruction of freaking justice? You may as well send a pyromaniac to a gasoline store.

Top Bottom