• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President's lawyers may offer Mueller a meeting with Trump

Sephzilla

Why would you send a pathological liar to discuss obstruction of freaking justice? You may as well send a pyromaniac to a gasoline store.

His lawyers are either

1) Incredibly stupid

2) Know Trump is fucked, but can't convince Trump that he's screwed so they're sending Trump out to metaphorically die

woolley

It's not like he would give them any actual information. Trumps lawyers would stop him from answering most questions anyway.

Best explanation

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/918449526222016512

2/ It’s unusual for a defense team to push for a prosecutor to interview their client, especially at an early stage.

3/ But this is not an ordinary case. What the White House is hoping to avoid is what Mueller is likely planning to do.

4/ Mueller’s current plan is likely to interview everyone else involved first, gather as much evidence as he can, and interview Trump last.

5/ That would allow him to ask Trump the best questions possible. The more he knows, the more he knows what to ask.

6/ Trump’s team is hoping they can push for an early interview and then refuse later because he “already was questioned” for hours.

7/ They could also try to push Mueller to end the investigation or to say Trump isn’t a target (not planning to charge him) afterward.

There was the idea Trump wanted to make Comey seem compromised; maybe if he met with Mueller he would pretend they were buddy-buddy, then because of that say that people on both sides dislike him and fire him. Yep.

Meanwhile, Dotard throws a hissy fit over the Iran deal.

President Trump reportedly "threw a fit” in mid-July as his top advisers made their case to stick with the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal.

“He threw a fit,” one source familiar with the meeting told The Washington Post in a report published Wednesday.

The president was angry he was being compelled by Secretary of State Rex ­Tillerson, Defense Secretary James Mattis and others to certify Iran's compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal that he viewed as a disaster, according to the Post.

“He was furious. Really furious. It’s clear he felt jammed.”

Trump did not believe their arguments for staying in it, dismissing arguments that Iran was upholding its part of the deal or that the agreement meant a sense a stability for U.S. national security interests, according to the report, which cited seven anonymous sources.
His advisers, including national security adviser H.R. McMaster, reportedly decided to push Trump toward compromise, instead of completely killing it.

cgcg

"Err what's that? I can't read the document cuz I don't have my glasses."

"Err my earpiece fell out somewhere, I can't really hear your question."

FFS, They seem to be doing this to calm the POTUS down or shut him up.

They really expect Trump to be told 'all of this has nothing to do with you I swear'

For some reason I just had a flash of the "I had sex with my wife" quote from Gob in Arrested Development during his divorce scene

Cagey

Banned
leonardo-dicaprio-and-kyle-chandler-in-the-wolf-of-wall-street1.jpeg

"You didn't try to bribe this fucking special investigator, did you?"

Dude even looks like a young Robert Mueller in that shot.

Perfection.

Apt101

Maybe his lawyers are secretly vigilantes that know how impossibly stupid their criminal client is. They're pulling a Matt Murdock.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
He really does have shittiest of attorneys.

I don't know why people are blaming the lawyers. Do you really think this is what they advised, or do you think it's what Trump said he wants to do? Every lawyer is super conservative. They are not going to advise this to anyone, let alone someone with as much to lose, and someone who is as stupid as, Lord Trump.

Sobriquet

President Trump reportedly "threw a fit” in mid-July as his top advisers made their case to stick with the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal.

“He threw a fit,” one source familiar with the meeting told The Washington Post in a report published Wednesday.

The president was angry he was being compelled by Secretary of State Rex ­Tillerson, Defense Secretary James Mattis and others to certify Iran's compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal that he viewed as a disaster, according to the Post.

Trump did not believe their arguments for staying in it, dismissing arguments that Iran was upholding its part of the deal or that the agreement meant a sense a stability for U.S. national security interests, according to the report, which cited seven anonymous sources.
His advisers, including national security adviser H.R. McMaster, reportedly decided to push Trump toward compromise, instead of completely killing it.

You would think at some point he would come to the realization that he's wrong about everything.

Iksenpets

Banned
Trump's lawyers must be delusional if they think this is going to help anything? "FBI interrogated president" is never a headline you want, even if nothing comes of it, and you're giving Mueller direct access to your clearly senile and unhinged client.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Renato is correct imo. Mueller wants to talk to Trump last and his lawyers know this. Mueller won’t fall for this though, unless the investigation is further along than we know.

I’m actually saying the opposite. Don’t sit idly by and hope Mueller is going to end this. Take to the streets. Protest.
How often are you out there protesting in the streets?

prophetvx

Even if they wanted to meet with Mueller, wouldn't it be improper and potentially malpractice at this point? It's an active investigation, lawyers don't just meet with investigators, they're either served with warrants or subpoena's.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

The entire Republican party is just as much at fault for this shit. He has been spouting his toxicity on this for years, yet none of them had the balls to forcefully muzzle him as a primary when it truly mattered. Never once did they dispell the idea that it may not be a marketing ploy but the actual ramblings of a fucking moron.

This is their guy and they normalized and uplifted his rhetoric, not surprising at all at the 11th hour he's told to shut it and has a hissy fit. I mean he's an immature piece of shit afterall.

Even if they wanted to meet with Mueller, wouldn't it be improper and potentially malpractice at this point? It's an active investigation, lawyers don't just meet with investigators, they're either served with warrants or subpoena's.

The president has not been formally charged with anything. Volunteering information is not unheard of if you are genuinely interested in aiding an investigation.

The president has not been formally charged with anything. Volunteering information is not unheard of if you are genuinely interested in aiding an investigation.

That said, it doesn’t seem very likely he wants to aid the investigation he attempted to end by firing the FBI director.

Koomaster

While on the surface this seems like a really dumb move, I'm wondering if they are trying to drum up public support/sympathy for Trump. They are basically setting up a timetable for Mueller - hey do this interview, you have till Thanksgiving to answer us.

So they want to rush Mueller into an interview with Trump when he may not have the material he needs to really press him. And then it's sort of a one shot deal.

If Mueller doesn't take the interview within the timetable then Trump and lawyers can go; 'Hey the president is a busy man and we offered a while back for that interview. Mueller is wasting time, fake news, fishing expedition, doesn't have anything, etc. Stop harassing the president.'

If Mueller takes the interview and doesn't come out of it with conclusive proof Trump and lawyers can instead say; 'See nothing, Mueller doesn't have anything the president is innocent as we've said all along.' Then down the road if Mueller wants another interview they again play up how he's now harassing the president with these interviews. Nothing was found last time, it's time to drop this investigation to no where, etc.

It sets up a lose-lose scenario in the court of public opinion. But they are basically banking on Mueller not having the ammo ready right now. If he somehow does then the whole thing blows up in Trump's face. I guess they are also banking on Trump not going off the rails in the interview and incriminating himself somehow; but they could still probably play it off as he misspoke or Mueller didn't understand what Trump meant. Wouldn't be a good look, but not a disaster.

Ultimately though I personally don't like this as they are the ones setting the time table when it should be Mueller & co.

Edit:
Yeah pretty much this. They are going to play this up if Mueller asks for another interview down the road.

prophetvx

That's my point though. It is an active investigation for obstruction of justice. Lawyers speaking directly with investigators unless requested is generally not the usual process and potentially misconduct.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How is this not circumstantial? Please tell me.
Gotta agree with you on this.

That doesn't say Trump knew where the info was coming from.

Just that he had info. Kinda like someone saying, "I don't care how or what you do, get it done."

Let's just hope Trump knew enough to incriminate himself.

Top Bottom