• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) - Preview Thread: New videos and impressions

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Like Dishonored 2 and DOOM last year, feeling exceedingly confident this will be one of the best games of 2017, its true peak of quality not entirely apparent in pre-release media and previews and instead evident once people play for themselves.

Really, really fucking excited. Imagine if we get Wolfenstein: The New Colossus before the year's end too. ZeniMax subsidiary output is consistently impressive.

Paragon

http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-pc-video-preview said:
“The Dishonored 2 release came as a surprise to us. PC is difficult because there are so many configurations out there, and a new driver just came out, so it’s just a difficult thing.”
Oh fuck off.
There's not a single system I'm aware of which can run that game smoothly - not even G-Sync can fix it.
Their own promotional videos of the game show the same stuttering problems.

The game still has input issues that they haven't bothered to fix either. They have a default profile for the Steam Controller but never tested playing the game with one.
Mixed inputs (XInput movement + Mouse aiming) cause the prompts to flicker and vibration to constantly switch on/off.
Mouse input was totally broken out of the box, and gamepad inputs still have that same acceleration curve applied to it, where your aim turns slower the faster the input is. (so you can't use Mouse-like Joystick inputs)
Dishonored 1 has similar input issues, but you can forgive that since it's a 2012 release and the Steam Controller wasn't a thing back then.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since this is handled by another team and is using another engine, but that statement and the fact that this preview build also has performance issues on whatever systems they were using really sours my opinion of the game before it's even out.

Like Dishonored 2 and DOOM last year, feeling exceedingly confident this will be one of the best games of 2017, its true peak of quality not entirely apparent in pre-release media and previews and instead evident once people play for themselves.

Really, really fucking excited. Imagine if we get Wolfenstein: The New Colossus before the year's end too. ZeniMax subsidiary output is consistently impressive.

For some reason people always sleep on them and then the games come out and are amazing

Anung

Un Rama

This is how I feel. Between Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Doom and Dishonored they are currently putting out the games I am most interested in. Prey and a new Wolfenstein announcement would be a fantastic one-two punch.

You can only reboot System Shock so many times...

CD-Action, a Polish gaming site, posted the PC requirements.

Minimal:
Windows 7 (64-bit) or newer
Core i5-2400 3,1 GHz or MD FX-8320
GeForce GTX 670 2 GB or Radeon HD 7870 2 GB
RAM: 8 GB
Drive space: 55 GB

Recommended:
Windows 7 (64-bit) or newer
Core i7-3770 4-Core 3,4 GHz or AMD FX-8350
GeForce GTX 970 4 GB or Radeon R9 290 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB
Drive space: 55 GB

Seems too early to release PC specs. Unless Bethesda released the PC specs themselves, the one from the site is fake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For some reason people always sleep on them and then the games come out and are amazing

This is how I feel. Between Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Doom and Dishonored they are currently putting out the games I am most interested in. Prey and a new Wolfenstein announcement would be a fantastic one-two punch.

Yep yep. The Evil Within is my weakest link, but it's still a game I really enjoyed and appreciated and would buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

Bethesda Softworks subsidiary output over the last four or so years has been consistently on point to my taste and, in some ways, reminiscent of the games I grew up playing.
Dishonored 1 + 2 scratch that high agency driven action/stealth RPG itch, with a dash of Thief and Deus Ex, with immersive, experimental gameplay and world building.
DOOM hits all the notes needed for no frills run-and-gun mayhem with tight controls and satisfying hit feedback with a much needed self awareness to the presentation.
Wolfenstein: The New Order is the most Half-Life 2 structured game we've had since Half-Life 2's similarly brilliant pacing, with a story, dialogue, and characters far better than they had any right to be.
The Evil Within might have a bunch of pacing issues (in my opinion), but is nevertheless distinctly Shinji Mikami with tons of memorable set pieces and a lengthy horror experience.
Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches, and The Old Blood are top shelf DLC worth the price of admission, not feeling like they lazily retread base game content but instead act as full mini-expansions.

Prey is shaping up to be a System Shock successor crossed over with Arkane's lessons from Dishonored.
I can't imagine Machine Games will drop the ball with Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.
That leaves Quake Champions.

That's a really impressively killer output.

Parapraxis

Since the first reveal I thought this game looked great and have since been surprised by the lack of hype or even general interest in this title. Possible sleeper hit of 2017 imo

Instro

If anyone was looking for more detail on the inventory, the opening hour video shows it off pretty well at the 32 minute mark. Doesn't seem like anything is auto-use? I see food items in there among other things. I'd like to see how the crafting system plays out, maybe it was in that video as well, but I was skipping around to avoid too much spoiling.

dex3108

They got burned with Dishonored 2 release so I really don't think that we will see Wolfenstein this holiday season. Especially if Prey sells well. Spring release for their SP focused FPS games is perfect.

If anyone was looking for more detail on the inventory, the opening hour video shows it off pretty well at the 32 minute mark. Doesn't seem like anything is auto-use? I see food items in there among other things. I'd like to see how the crafting system plays out, maybe it was in that video as well, but I was skipping around to avoid too much spoiling.

Basically, you can recycle any object you pick up into fabrication materials. Those materials can be used to create items (Wrench, shotgun, and whatever else) provided you have fabrication plans.

These previews and the constant system shock 2 comparisons have me hyped. Was off my radar until today. Will play

Edit: yeah looking at that eatchildren post. Bethesda is killing it. I really hope they continue this blissful output. Please no licensed games deal or heavy shift to online or whatever. Gotta have some great sp output too

plushyp

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since this is handled by another team and is using another engine, but that statement and the fact that this preview build also has performance issues on whatever systems they were using really sours my opinion of the game before it's even out.
Agree with everything you said. Even with a different team behind it, not going to bother purchasing it since they still haven't properly fixed Dishonored 2 on PC. Seeing Colantonio's pathetic comments about it in the PCG preview doesn't inspire any confidence. Not going to bother buying it at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems too early to release PC specs. Unless Bethesda released the PC specs themselves, the one from the site is fake.

I wouldn't say it's too early as the game is only ~two months away from going gold, but, yeah, I'd take them with a grain of salt in the absence of an announcement or otherwise official communication.

eshwaaz

Everything about this game interests me except for the goo monsters. I have never found those types of enemies fun to fight.

Teeth

Very much looking forward to this. I'm expecting level design bliss and lots of multipurpose abilities.

Stellar music and an interesting story would just be icing on the cake.

SJRB

Gold Member
I like everything I see except the monsters.

I dunno man, whacking 5 twitchy jumping headcrab monsters with a wrench doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

How much of a jumpscare/horror game is it even? It doesn't appear to be all that scary, not even sure it's trying to go for that. Initial trailer made it seem so, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Don't want to watch too many gameplay videos either.

GeNoMe

So basically this is the next Bio/System shock in space sequel I have been craving all this time?
Sign me the fuck up!

I like everything I see except the monsters.

I dunno man, whacking 5 twitchy jumping headcrab monsters with a wrench doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

How much of a jumpscare/horror game is it even? It doesn't appear to be all that scary, not even sure it's trying to go for that. Initial trailer made it seem so, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Don't want to watch too many gameplay videos either.

Considering you can get alien powers and other weapons like pistols and shotguns, whacking a Mimic with a wrench isn't necessarily the only option.

Also, Mimic is just one of the many Typhon aliens you face in the game (they use a lot of objects, including weapons, ammo, medkits as a mean of camouflage). There's the Phantoms, and they come with different flavors (Thermal, which uses fire. Etheric, which can split itself into other phantoms and uses Toxic damage. And Voltaic, which uses electricity damage).

There's also Poltergeists and Telepaths, as well the Nightmare; a huge monster that hunts you throughout the station (You become a much easier prey for the Nightmare if you acquire too many alien powers)

Mascot

I can see why you would think that. I was also skeptical, but it turns out they provide a nice degree of tension. Also, when they morph somewhere near you, the music ramps up! there were a few times where I was exploring and I hear the music score up with the Mimic SFX and I quickly began looking around--it's kind of terrifying.

Highly recommend this video where there's some Mimic discussion: https://youtu.be/WLwu2GeWDIg

Nice - thanks!

SomTervo

May 5?

Another Arkane game while I'm on playthrough 3 of Dishonored 2?

Jesus.

I still miss the original Prey 2 idea though.

Mr. Tibbs

I should have said take it with a grain of salt.

Prey |OT| Don't Mention The War

Prey [OT] Don't Call it a Reboot

Prey [OT] The Result of a Compromise Between Publisher and Developer

Mr. Tibbs

Yeah, as confident as I am in Arkane delivering a solid game, I'd still love to one day give Prey 2 TITLE NOT IN USE a whirl.

Even Raf Colantonio liked the premise of Prey 2.

The sad part is that members of the original Arkane team were looking forward to playing it. The level designer behind the Clockwork Mansion used to post on TTLG telling everyone to believe the hype and that the game was awesome (something also repeated by QA dudes). Sad that it never saw the light of day.

Prey |OT| Shock to the System
It's a cute nod. I prefer gameplay references.

Prey |OT| Watch Out For Doubles

prey_mimic_seeing_double_by_digi_matrix-daz8wzw.gif

Truant

It's important to remember that the "Prey" title was something that Bethesda decided that Arcane should use. The title basically got funded because they could use the IP.

It´s not fair to blame Arkane for what happened to Prey 2 or that Bethesda gave the IP to them.

xVodevil

After all this might actually turn out as this year's surprise, which I wished it to be ever since I've read those System Shock 2 legacy promises, though I found it hard to believe... So yeah, bring it on!

d00d3n

Has anyone explained the Nightmare enemy gameplay mechanics in depth yet? I think they said something about the enemy becoming increasingly aware of you as you upgrade your powers. Does that mean that the enemy will stalk you and hunt you freely around the ship, or is it restricted to a couple of set piece moments where the game will go easy on you if you have held back from upgrading too much?

I really like immersive sims, but do not like horror games where you are stalked by immortal enemies, so that is why I am asking.

Top Bottom