• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

Big Nikus

I was wondering if I was going to buy it day 1... then I listened to the first few minutes of the soundtrack posted on the previous page. Insta-buy.

I was wondering if I was going to buy it day 1... then I listened to the first few minutes of the soundtrack posted on the previous page. Insta-buy.
When I first tried the demo, I was on the fence, but spending three hours with it made it a day 1 for me. Or at least a definite buy, need to see the consensus on the story and if the quality holds up throughout

Memphis-Ahn

Neo Member
I like how the crafting machine is operated in-game, and don't take you to a menu

Yeah, makes me wish parts of the Transcribe menu would be slightly transparent so you could see the game world behind it.
I also hope the hardcore patch will make it so that menu and the wheel select don't pause time (maybe merely slow it down?) so you can't just scarf down medkits while phantoms stare at you.

Stoze

Yeah, makes me wish parts of the Transcribe menu would be slightly transparent so you could see the game world behind it.
I also hope the hardcore patch will make it so that menu and the wheel select don't pause time (maybe merely slow it down?) so you can't just scarf down medkits while phantoms stare at you.

Yeah I was hoping for inventory usage without pausing time ala System Shock 2. At least there's plenty of real-time stuff like recycling, crafting, and computer and keypad usage without pausing to make up for it.

Maddrical

$45 for the game at Gamebillet.com as a pre-order, very tempting but no day 1 reviews makes me nervous, I have never pre-ordered a game on Steam as I don't trust most devs to not screw up a port. The lack of a PC demo is also worrying. Wish it wasn't $80 on Steam otherwise I'd buy it there and refund if the port sucks.

$45 for the game at Gamebillet.com as a pre-order, very tempting but no day 1 reviews makes me nervous, I have never pre-ordered a game on Steam as I don't trust most devs to not screw up a port. The lack of a PC demo is also worrying. Wish it wasn't $80 on Steam otherwise I'd buy it there and refund if the port sucks.

PS4 FOR 45$? Wow, this with tax included?

Mr. Tibbs

A thread saying it's on a best seller list? No.

You can also get a Steam copy for $36 from CD Keys or a console copy for $48 if you have Amazon Prime.

Raphael Colantonio spoke to AusGamers about the lack of a PC demo:

"It's just a resource assignment thing. We couldn't do a demo on both the console and on the PC, we had to choose. And besides, PC has Steam. Steam players can just return the game [prior to playing] 2 hours so it's like a demo already. I also want to clarify that there's no PC port. I keep on hearing 'oh they're going to screw up the PC port' there is no PC port. We do the game on PC. It's a PC game. It's a different engine to Dishonored as well. So we might have our own sets of problems, but we are of course very careful because of what happened with Dishonored 2. So we wanted to make sure the PC version of Prey is good."

"We have always developed our games on PC, we're PC developers. The thing on PC though, sometimes it's just the wrong timing. The drivers just came out at the same time as your game, or the hardware combinations out there are so numerous that we can't test absolutely everything and sometimes that's just what it is. Bad timing, bad luck. But we've worked on it a lot. I'm not saying there won't be any problem at all, but I'm pretty confident right now."

Paragon

Raphael Colantonio spoke to AusGamers about the lack of a PC demo:
"We have always developed our games on PC, we're PC developers. The thing on PC though, sometimes it's just the wrong timing. The drivers just came out at the same time as your game, or the hardware combinations out there are so numerous that we can't test absolutely everything and sometimes that's just what it is. Bad timing, bad luck. But we've worked on it a lot. I'm not saying there won't be any problem at all, but I'm pretty confident right now."
It's a weak excuse when the game launches - I'm sure they were well aware of the performance issues - but doesn't hold up when they have failed to fix those problems after six months.

I do hope that Prey performs a lot better than Dishonored 2 did, but comments like these give me doubts rather than reassurance.

Kinda yes. The 2 hour refund for any game on steam is basically the equivalent of an actual demo assuming you got the cash for the initial buy, of course.
The problem with this is that you have to buy on Steam, and miss out on pre-order deals.
On Steam, pre-order discounts are 10% at most.
From third-parties they can be 25-30% - or more due to regional pricing.
Bethesda published games in particular are priced unusually high in some regions.

It's a weak excuse when the game launches - I'm sure they were well aware of the performance issues - but doesn't hold up when they have failed to fix those problems after six months.

I do hope that Prey performs a lot better than Dishonored 2 did, but comments like these give me doubts rather than reassurance.

The problem with this is that you have to buy on Steam, and miss out on pre-order deals.
On Steam, pre-order discounts are 10% at most.
From third-parties they can be 25-30% - or more due to regional pricing.
Bethesda published games in particular are priced unusually high in some regions.

Prices will go up after release and then down after a few weeks, almost as close to the preorder deal if not lower if the game turns out to be not so good. This always happens with any third party seller like cdkeys, gmg, etc. A good example would be Torment. Game was like over 30 something euro and now its 12. That of course does not apply to all games.

whoszed

I like the atmosphere and the setting but the combat felt really wonky and messy. If it played more tightly I'd be more excited. Big part of that are the unimaginative black blob enemies, they're not fun to kill at all. I wasn't able to really sneak up on them more than maybe once.

Vindicator

Just preordered besides ignoring this demo.
Started FFXV last weekend but after that it's time for some Prey, some issues like the input lag should be patched out by the time.

I thought it was interesting, but I think I've reached my limits as far as walking around in games clicking on random objects goes. Also found the movement was sluggish, and the combat wasn't fun at all. Tracking the enemies was a pain. Felt like a mix of bioshock, half-life, and dead space. 3 games I loved, but something is missing here. I'll probably still play it at some point, but not in a rush.

Cartho

Really not feeling the demo which surprises and saddens me because I love Arkane.

Movement and aiming felt hideously sluggish and the enemies felt dull to fight. I also didn't like how you often had no clue where enemies were. It felt like planning took a backseat and you basically had to just move into a room then constantly spin around to see if there were any enemies suddenly popping out of the furniture.

Given how good the melee combat in Dishonoured and Dark Messiah was, the wrench stuff in this was awful. Very sluggish, a silly stamina bar for swings trying to make it like Souls games but with none of the finesse or interest. Tracking enemies felt awful due to how sluggish and unresponsive the aiming was too.

Bittercup

Played the demo a bit but after the strong start didn't really enjoy the gameplay. Especially the combat.
Glad to hear the controls on PS4 are just messed up and will be fixed. Hopefully that won't be a problem on PC as well.
I did give it a second try and enjoyed it a bit more.

Still not really sure how to play the game 'correctly' though. I usually like stealth in games like that but it happened regularly that I just walk around, screeching music starts and an enemy jumps out of nowhere. Or I open a door and a few enemies are right behind it and combat starts. Not sure how to avoid that or play it differently. I even put some points in the stealth skill. I know they can hide as ordinary things, but if there's a table with 3 chairs, how should I know that that's unusual and one is a mimic. Not sure if I missed some clues. I didn't want to spoil myself too much and kinda rushed through the demo.
Maybe you'll get used to it the more you play.
I did like though, that it makes you tense when you don't know if there's danger waiting. Usually in stealth games I just stake out the area and plan my moves and act when I know it's safe. Seeing an 'empty' room that could be brimful with mimics is very different but exciting.

Besides that the game seems pretty interesting. Story so far was good and I'm intrigued to figure out more and I really love how the game starts. The exploration and the amount of details is really great, too.
So far cautiously optimistic. Better controls will certainly help. Not a good idea to release the demo like that.

Waiting to see how the PC version shakes out (and if they decide to let you use saves from the demo) before deciding between buying on PC or PS4.

Cartho

It has a really interesting story and a great intro. It's just a shame that, to me, the combat is really weak so far. I mean the stuff with the wrench is worse than Skyrim's melee by a long shot and that isn't something I ever thought I'd say.

It has a really interesting story and a great intro. It's just a shame that, to me, the combat is really weak so far. I mean the stuff with the wrench is worse than Skyrim's melee by a long shot and that isn't something I ever thought I'd say.

I don't know. Did you play Bioshock, System Shock or Deus Ex for the combat? Also, keep in mind that the controls will be fixed in the full version.

KORNdoggy

I don't know. Did you play Bioshock, System Shock or Deus Ex for the combat? Also, keep in mind that the controls will be fixed in the full version.

bioshock in particular was all about it's combat. a big aspect of the game was fighting big daddies with a range of explosive weaponry and ammo types and plasmids. it wasn't award winning stuff, but the combat was a hell of a lot better then what we're seeing in prey. system shock was never about combat since there was so little of it and deus ex actually has a competent stealth system and conversation system to avoid most combat situations.

i think i'd be fine with prey if you could approach situations with as many options as you can in say, deus ex. but it seems very geared towards fighting these black blobs. there doesn't seem to be a way to just bypass them or hack your way around them, or stealth kill them, or converse your way past them etc. it's just variation within the "combat" bracket. and when the combat isn't very good, it kind of kills the entire game seeing as there is quite a lot of it.

Input lag and floaty wrench combat sucked a bit but I liked the rest. Definitely keeping an eye on this game after not even realizing a new Prey being developed beforehand. A well performing PC version would definitely be nice.

So how jump-scary is this game?

I'm waiting on reviews for PC version but I like what I see so far. Thing is, I HATE jump scares, even if the game itself isn't inherently scary

Elog

It's 2017 and we can expect better than what came 10+ years before.

Well SS2 had plain bad combat for its time in addition to fairly crappy graphics. Still one of my GOAT contenders.

I am not saying that Prey´s combat is great. I am saying that mediocre combat can still make a fantastic game. I was excited by all other aspects of Prey from the demo and looking forward to the release.

KORNdoggy

So how jump-scary is this game?

I'm waiting on reviews for PC version but I like what I see so far. Thing is, I HATE jump scares, even if the game itself isn't inherently scary

mimics pop out all the time, but it happens so often it loses it's impact and you end up expecting it.

Skulldead

Question for the full game, i saw the big map with link everywhere, so it's fully non linear a little like System shock 2 ? Because if this is the case i freaking buy it. I like that aspect in the demo so far. I'll remove marker and this will be amazing !

Nightmare is also freaking hard, does it ease a little further ? i'm fine mimic but the big fire creature crush me in 2 hits....

Tovarisc

Question for the full game, i saw the big map with link everywhere, so it's fully non linear a little like System shock 2 ? Because if this is the case i freaking buy it. I like that aspect in the demo so far. I'll remove marker and this will be amazing !

Nightmare is also freaking hard, does it ease a little further ? i'm fine mimic but the big fire creature crush me in 2 hits....

Yep, game is nonlinear. In last nights stream devs talked how people may end up skipping whole sections of station and missing so much content if people just chase objectives.

rtcn63

Don't use GLOO on the human-sized enemies if you have the shotgun. They're more likely to get off a projectile attack while you're spraying them, as opposed to throwing down shells which will interrupt them.

The combat in Prey isn't necessarily terrible and I've killed pretty much everything in the demo. Not as visceral as Bioshock, although the original may not be as responsive as some may remember it. (I replay both Bio games regularly) And if you've watched the Eurogamer playthrough,
you do get more combat abilities and just weird stuff to do in general.

rtcn63

Bioshock, System Shock and Deus Ex are still better than 98% of the current games. We can expect better than absolute classics? Really? Does every mechanic have to be 10/10 flawless?

All three were products of their time, and the feel and responsiveness of combat in particular wasn't their strong suit. But yes, Bioshock definitely had the groundwork, but it played more like a first-person horror title especially compared to the other games in the series. (I replayed all three Bio games late last year)

It's 2017 and we can expect better than what came 10+ years before.
Time isn't exactly a measure of good or bad mechanics/controls. Games like Tetris, classic Mario, Burnout 3, and so on still play fantastically.

All three were products of their time, and the feel and responsiveness of combat in particular wasn't their strong suit. But yes Bioshock definitely had the groundwork, but it played more like a first-person horror game especially compared to the later games in the series.
Considering you barely have any actual offensive weapons in this game, Bioshock should probably be the closest comparison then

rtcn63

Considering you barely have any actual offensive weapons in this game, Bioshock should probably be the closest comparison then

I dunno, Bioshock had multiple weapons with various ammo types in addition to slug magic. Plus the numerous tonic augments. Although Prey might end being similar if just to a more limited extent.

If you're not sold on the demo, I'd recommend people watch the various "new gameplay" playthroughs. There are spoilers, but you seem to get a more accurate representation of the final product. Not to say I'm necessarily sold, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. The last thing anyone wants is fewer good games to play...

Has it been confirmed 'on paper' by the devs that the shitty encounter music is getting fixed in some capacity from the way it's handled in the demo by the way?

rtcn63

Is the flashlight permanently hotkey'd to up on the D-pad? Just seems wrong that you can't swap it with something else.

Top Bottom