• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown |OT| Where's the prince, sar-gone?

cormack12

Gold Member
m7JqRnO.png

TI94vc7.png

yAUh3pl.png

jySAtss.png

pqrmqsf.png

8cR1mIy.png

h1evVNV.png

gy6Qmx7.png

Y58GGqR.png

dxqL6iW.png

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
(Take my thoughts with a grain of salt...I loved Fenyx Rising)

The demo was great!
I wasn't following this game much and didn't know it was a metroidvania. I played the demo on a few platforms and found all of them to be completely playable. Picked up the switch version off amazon and will probably snag the PS5 version digitally.

Combat felt good: combos, dodging, and blocking/parrying are all really snappy.
A lot of folks have mentioned not liking the character design and visuals, but I really like how the characters look in the cut scenes in the game. You loose a lot of that detail during gameplay, but overall those cut scenes gave me a much better impression of the game than I was expecting to have.
I also like the voice acting (which there is a LOT of in the demo)...every character you interact with has full VO and they sound great. You meet a McGuffin half way though the demo and that character sold me on the game.

I really think based on what I played in the demo $50 USD is almost a steal for this game...hopefully something doesn't go horribly wrong halfway through the game.

MiguelItUp

This wasn't on my radar before, but definitely is now. Super excited about it when I originally wasn't, always a fun feeling.

Modern gamers really just think everything should be basically free at this point
Past few years I feel like I've seen more people complain about free game experiences than anything paid. Especially about content and stuff when the game is free, lol.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Best prince of Persia in 20 years, 30% less than a standard new release, and there’s a price hangup? At $49? What???

Modern gamers really just think everything should be basically free at this point
I never said it should be free but your an absolute chomp if you buy any metroidvania game over the price of £25, the only reason this game is £39 is because jordan mechner is a greedy cunt who charges ubi a shitload for using the prince of persia ip, its literally the reason why ubi never make POP games anymore and the last 2 games have been budgeted

Last edited:

dorkimoe

(Take my thoughts with a grain of salt...I loved Fenyx Rising)

The demo was great!
I wasn't following this game much and didn't know it was a metroidvania. I played the demo on a few platforms and found all of them to be completely playable. Picked up the switch version off amazon and will probably snag the PS5 version digitally.

Combat felt good: combos, dodging, and blocking/parrying are all really snappy.
A lot of folks have mentioned not liking the character design and visuals, but I really like how the characters look in the cut scenes in the game. You loose a lot of that detail during gameplay, but overall those cut scenes gave me a much better impression of the game than I was expecting to have.
I also like the voice acting (which there is a LOT of in the demo)...every character you interact with has full VO and they sound great. You meet a McGuffin half way though the demo and that character sold me on the game.

I really think based on what I played in the demo $50 USD is almost a steal for this game...hopefully something doesn't go horribly wrong halfway through the game.
I loved Fenyx rising as well, was hoping wed get a sequel someday. Good review, going to give this a shot.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Well, to be fair, this is more of a clone of the original Prince of Persia, which was released in 1986.
Not even a single bit.
That one was much more slow-paced and methodical, including the combat.

This one has dashing (as seen in Celeste for instance), which really feels out of place in Prince of Persia.
Not to mention all those flashy effects.

Unfortunately all devs do these days is follow trends.

simpatico

I'd be happy to pay $50 for a Metroidvania with this kinda budget. The art direction just didn't work for me in the demo. Spongey enemies too. But I will grab it when it drops. Gonna be a nice playthrough next Christmas break. I'm on a huge the Metroidvania kick. Couple great ones released last year.

drotahorror

I'd be happy to pay $50 for a Metroidvania with this kinda budget. The art direction just didn't work for me in the demo. Spongey enemies too. But I will grab it when it drops. Gonna be a nice playthrough next Christmas break. I'm on a huge the Metroidvania kick. Couple great ones released last year.
Which ones from last year?

simpatico

Which ones from last year?
Blasphemous 2 - I wasn't the biggest fan of the first one. The sequel has much more IgaVania and much less Dark Souls. Really killer map on this one. Only complaint is I like a few more weapon options, but it's highly polished.

The Last Faith - 10/10 graphics and aesthetics. Combat isn't perfect but there's a ton of weapons. Not as polished as Blasphemous but if you like the way it looks it's very much worth playing for the eye candy. Bosses are outstanding.

Both are visual tour de force, which puts PoP in a tough position in that regard for my brain.

hollams

Gold Member
Enjoying the game but I wish there was an option to have the dialog auto advance instead of having to hit the A button every time. Also the L+X button press doesn't seem responsive as the other commands.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think it's pretty good. Love the parry mechanic and combat in general. The only issue is it feels like a PS3 game visually. As long as the game has a good story and deep gameplay mechanics I think I will take the visuals.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Absolutely LOVE the gameplay and traversal mechanics. This is one of the more fun AA/AAA games to control I’ve played in a while.

I really don’t like the visual, story, setting, cutscenes, or music though. I especially don’t like that it’s apparently 22 hours long.

That said, the gameplay is so damn good that I’ll probably grab this once it dips to $30. Incredibly fun movement.

MacReady13

Best prince of Persia in 20 years, 30% less than a standard new release, and there’s a price hangup? At $49? What???

That game pass effect I feel… thanks Microsoft.

Tried the demo and it's something I might consider grabbing a year or so down the line. Didn't care for the characters or dialogue, in fact after hearing the VOs I just skipped through them as they seemed more annoying than anything else. Movement felt good and it played nicely though.

sigmaZ

Played the demo today. Nice solid controls and combat. The story is hot garbage, but I was expecting that. The custcenes are framed decently but I don't know why on earth they didn't do the opening shot with a cut scene but with a zoomed in camera with some horrible excuses for 3D (2D polygons? lol) clipping through the ground. Symphony did it best. Just through you in and gradually revealed stuff. These writers are up their own arse with their flowery terms and dialoguing they totally abandon mechanics with reckless abandon.
All that said, I really like the gameplay mechanics and since I've got another month of Ubisoft Plus I'm gonna play it and see how it goes.

Little Mac

Played the demo on PS5 twice, second time on a harder difficulty, and really enjoyed the gameplay, but the Switch graphics at 120fps and no HDR was somewhat jarring to me. I just got my PS5 and going from Ratchet and Clank and Spider-man Remastered to this was kinda sobering. I actually like The Lost Crown's art style too but the technical side of things leaves alot to be desired imo. I'm not usually a graphics whore but I decided to wait for a sale. Again, the controls and gameplay feel and play amazingly well and if I was playing this solely on a Switch, it would be day one for sure. My two cents at least.

Last edited:

Thanati

Not even a single bit.
That one was much more slow-paced and methodical, including the combat.

This one has dashing (as seen in Celeste for instance), which really feels out of place in Prince of Persia.
Not to mention all those flashy effects.

Unfortunately all devs do these days is follow trends.
Well, saying “not even a single bit”’is not really true, is it.

It’s gone back to a 2D side scrolling game and is no longer a 3D environment. The fact that the action is a little fast we etc. is a different point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game is okay, a good buy for £15.
How much is it
Take it there's no physical release

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the final game harder?
The one thing I use to love about POP was analysing the room and figuring out how to navigate it.
This is way too easy that I'm doing it on the fly without any thought, It's like I've played it before.

Edit, just finished the demo.
Was gonna purchase it but holy shit £44.99 for the standard edition.
I used this today for Ubi so I'll use it again
7e2173f99fbdcb06f53ea19351676236f928601d.gif

Last edited:
Trying to get the demo and It's taking me to a Ubisoft Webpage to sign in.
Is the Ubi.com from my Quest 3 Assasins Creed Nexus not the same as an Ubisoft account?
I can't connect and don't want to use the forget password as I'll have to redo something on my quest 3 if I do.

Housh

Picked up the deluxe version on PC cause I support games with full Persian VA. PC port is solid but then again it's just Unity.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been in a Metroidvania mood - I tried (and ultimately gave up on) Ender Lillies. So, I decided to pick up the digital deluxe edition for the Switch. About two hours in now, and so far so good. The deluxe edition's little bird thing is annoying as hell, but I could see it being useful late game when hunting down treasures.

TexMex

I've been in a Metroidvania mood - I tried (and ultimately gave up on) Ender Lillies. So, I decided to pick up the digital deluxe edition for the Switch. About two hours in now, and so far so good. The deluxe edition's little bird thing is annoying as hell, but I could see it being useful late game when hunting down treasures.

Man I am right there with you, disabled the bird after using it 10 minutes. It isn’t helpful if it just never shuts up. Navi times a million.

Justin9mm

Played the demo, I kinda liked it gameplay wise, but I don't like how the dialog and cutscene visuals/artstyle have been done. For some reason it feels like a mobile game but with great graphics. I don't have much of an interest other than waiting for this to be on Gamepass/Plus or a very deep sale. Despite the praise, I just don't see it selling well to the mainstream consumer.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man I am right there with you, disabled the bird after using it 10 minutes. It isn’t helpful if it just never shuts up. Navi times a million.
For sure - one thing I noticed when it was equipped that it also chirped when I opened my inventory / pause screen (not sure if that was a bug or not), so the damn thing seemingly never shuts up. It's also super not helpful because it'll chirp when you're near treasures you can't access because you don't have the proper power-ups yet. They really need to fix that, because I unequipped it first chance I got.

Flabagast

Combat is sublime and might one of the best ever in a 2D Metroidvania, way way better than Blasphemous 1 which I played recently

A lot of different moves available relying on a few buttons only, and you really need to be tactical in how you approach some encounters.

Also Immortal difficulty is no joke, I found the starting portion of the game tough but ok but I am currently being gang banged in the catacombs

Last edited:
Been playing for the past 4 hours straight, the game is fucking fantastic, time just flies right by. Vibes and atmosphere of Sands of Time mixed with the impactful combat of Warrior Within all wrapped up in a delicious Metroidvania shell, it's safe to say Prince of Persia is *back*.

The combat is deceptively simple at first but soon develops a depth I really appreciate. Sweeps, launchers, charge attacks, input delays, arrow mix ups, dodges, chakra, supers and the always satisfying parry. Every enemy has a unique execution animation if you parry their "yellow" attack and all look slick as fuck, feel badass to pull off.

The map is jam packed with secrets, side quests, interesting NPC's and the kind of glorious platforming challenges I live for around every nook, corner and cranny. Everything runs smoother than silk without a hitch, the world is beautiful and I'm into the lore and world-building, games based on Persian mythology are almost non-existent, it's refreshing.

The music is understated and elegant, fits the environment and the moment to moment traversal through the world perfectly, reminiscent of the original Tomb Raider. All the voice acting is on point, I dig these characters and the various dramas both big and small I've encountered thus far, can't wait to see what else is in store.

So my early feelings are that this is the first great game of 2024, let's see how it holds up, so far the high reviews seem warranted. I know it's all the rage to hate on Ubisoft but when a dev does something right it needs to be aknowledged, I'll always give credit where it's due. Anyway, back to it, so happy I picked this up. With Tekken 8 and Infinite Wealth next week this year is off to a mighty fine start indeed 👌

Top Bottom