• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown |OT| Where's the prince, sar-gone?

To add to my previous post, some of these puzzles are god-tier, using time manipulation and "cloning" yourself combined with precise platforming, good stuff. Nearing 7 hours straight now with only a break to eat, the game is delivering *all* the goods.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Is anyone having issues with Ubisoft Connect not...connecting? From the time this game came out, I'm unable to access Ubisoft Plus to download the game.

Hopefully my copy arrives today. I’m not looking anything up because I don’t want to spoil anything, but would you guys say this falls more on the “Well paced linear” or “Open with Sequence breaking” Metroidvania spectrum? I’m guessing we’ll paced but the infinite wall jumping you can do with the air dodge seems promising.

Played throught the Demo last night in Rookie mode. I think this bodes well that I can play this game and not wimp out like I did on the Ori games.

Well, that's 10 hours clocked today, I can already say this is up there with my favourite Metroidvanias of all time joining the likes of SoTN, Guacamelee 2, Hollow Knight and The Messenger, it's so damn good. Looking at my trophies I've still only fought 2 of the main bosses, there seems to be around 8, only skimmed through to avoid spoilers, looks like there is a whole lot of game left!

ciE2Wnq.gif

n111ck

Is anyone having issues with Ubisoft Connect not...connecting? From the time this game came out, I'm unable to access Ubisoft Plus to download the game.

If you just get stuck on the Ubi logo when trying to access Ubi+ or the store on the PC client log out and change your password.

Ogbert

Really enjoying it. Excellent game.

About five hours in and it’s a solid 8. I wish there was a little more biome variety and I would like a little more weapon variety.

But a genuine surprise.

SCB3

I'm at the Demo stage now, its been fun so far, the games dropped my dodge input a couple of times on bosses but nothing major

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Best prince of Persia in 20 years, 30% less than a standard new release, and there’s a price hangup? At $49? What???

Modern gamers really just think everything should be basically free at this point
It is a perception of value. 2D games are much cheaper to make than 100 hour 3D games. If someone just wants to play it, why not sub to Ubisoft + for a month then hit up their other recent games on the service?

Ozzie666

I wish it wasn’t from Ubisoft as it pains me to say

Excellent game worth every penny, and maybe their stars wars game is good too.

Area where the 3rd main boss is located is so fucking good, plenty of white-knuckle platforming challenges, it gives me life. Art direction and some new mechanics are absolutely on point too.

At 15 hours I'm just over 50% completion, praise Simurgh, I want more long, epic Metroidvanias like this, fuck your 6 hour games. If the gameplay and world is good enough to sustain a lengthy adventure (and it absolutely is here) then the longer the better. Still have a lot ahead of me but I already don't want it to end, definitely going to get that Plat trophy 👌.

Edit: that moment in a Metroidvania when you finally get your double jump 🥳🥳🥳.

Last edited:

Ogbert

i cant believe this game comes from ubisoft , its amazing , the atmosphere , the fluidity , the puzzles , everything is great
Not having a go, but why do people always say this?

Ubisoft release polished, well crafted games. Some of those games are highly derivative and milked to death (Far Cry, AC etc) but, for a AAA publisher, they also release lots of cool stuff - this, Mario and Rabbids, Immortals Fenyx.

And something like the Division 2 is GaaS done very well.

At least they cleary like games.

samoilaaa

Not having a go, but why do people always say this?

Ubisoft release polished, well crafted games. Some of those games are highly derivative and milked to death (Far Cry, AC etc) but, for a AAA publisher, they also release lots of cool stuff - this, Mario and Rabbids, Immortals Fenyx.

And something like the Division 2 is GaaS done very well.

At least they cleary like games.
i dont know about everybody else but for me personally their games were always mediocre and this game passes that barrier , there was a time when their stories were meaningful and it was a joy watching a cutscene from their games but now its like the writing and voice acting is made by AI

OK fuck this challenge room lol, 20+ attempts later and every time I pass what I'm *sure* is the last part it throws even more fuckery my way. I actually can't help but admire the masochist who designed it 😂

dorkimoe

So uh is Amazon the only place that sells physical copies of games anymore? Nobody else has this game listed.

TexMex

So uh is Amazon the only place that sells physical copies of games anymore? Nobody else has this game listed.

Well uh I uh just checked Walmart, Best Buy and GameStop and uh all of them uh have it so uhhhhh I’m calling user error on this one

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This is one of the finest games I have ever bought. It actually challenges your mind and when you die you know it was your mistake. The combat and traversal is fucking smooth and the map is huge. Great boss fights and the story is super interesting as well. For people who don't want to stress with the puzzles there's an easy teleport option. This is up there with Chaos Theory and Siege. Ubisoft you fuckers. Although, I don't understand why the graphics are PS3 quality, surely they could have made it pretty without trying. Seems like it was a side passion project or something. Whatever it is, fucking awesome game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Edit: that moment in a Metroidvania when you finally get your double jump 🥳🥳🥳.
Just got it too. First thing I did was grab that blacksmith slab in the base area near the training dude.

Now trying to upgrade my melee weapons by getting more slabs. I think I need one more power for that.

Last edited:
Didn’t know this game existed until today. I tried the demo and it was fun. I was at the mall to return something, so I stopped at GameStop and bought their only non-preorder copy.

The game is $70 here. My initial impression is that it is a good game, but not worth that price. I mean, I look at the last full-price Ubisoft game I bought, Child of Light on PS3, and it was about this level of effort for only $20. However, since UBI-”gamers should just accept not owning their games”-SOFT decided to actually manufacture discs for this game, I’m willing to look the other way.

Ogbert

It’s good.

I’d place it at the very top of the second tier of Metroidvanias, a notch below Ori and Metroid.

$50 for a game like this is too high for me. Games like this are usually 30 bucks at most when they come out. Blasphemous 2 comes to mind for a recent example.

This looks fun and it's hard to ignore the glowing reviews. I'll keep an eye on this and wait till it's somewhere between 25 and 30 bucks.

RAIDEN1

$50 for a game like this is too high for me. Games like this are usually 30 bucks at most when they come out. Blasphemous 2 comes to mind for a recent example.

This looks fun and it's hard to ignore the glowing reviews. I'll keep an eye on this and wait till it's somewhere between 25 and 30 bucks.
Who knows it might make Gamepass later in the year, from my point of view it would go in the backlog.. just too many to get through...

Huh, initially ignored this game, didnt know the main character isnt the same protago but blackwashed, played the demo, didnt know it was a freaking metroidvania and a challenging one later on. Now Im intersted. Will buy it maybe next month or so.

dorkimoe

Well uh I uh just checked Walmart, Best Buy and GameStop and uh all of them uh have it so uhhhhh I’m calling user error on this one
When I looked early only digital existed on bestbuy, Walmart only showed third party

Last edited:
i cant believe this game comes from ubisoft , its amazing , the atmosphere , the fluidity , the puzzles , everything is great
i dont know about everybody else but for me personally their games were always mediocre and this game passes that barrier
This is why it is extremely important to follow a developer instead of a Publisher:

Your issue is with the AC team and the Far Cry team.

The PoP: Lost Crown team is the dev team that helped co-develop these titles in the past 10 years:

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Rayman Mini (You all should try it if you liked the above two)
Rayman Adventures iOS (You all should try it if you liked the above two)
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Valiant Hearts: Coming Home

This is yet another 80s-90s rated game under their belt.

Flabagast

Once you past the first third of the adventure platforming and combat are both ramping up quite a lot imho.

After unlocking time powers level design can become pretty complex and tricky in some areas, I love it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is why it is extremely important to follow a developer instead of a Publisher:
To be fair none of those games are a Metroidvania, major commercial successes, or something core gamers often would seek out. Rayman origins got a lot of praise because of the lack of platformers.

So really their pedigree was nonexistent to core gaming people like us on GAF.

Not to mention we all assumed that prince of Persia was dead, and that this looked low budget/bad, and yes you do need to take into account the publisher if they shovel out shit on the regular.

This game is a breath of fresh air in so many ways, and so far a top 5 metroidvania for me. Happy to see PoP is back, and how much love they put into every aspect of this game. The combat alone is leaps and bounds better than other metroidvanias IMO we keep getting churned out en masse on steam almost every month by indies.

Let these guys get money to do a sequel in third person. (Would be really hard to top this significantly as another metroidvania)

They have put a flag down on a mountain peak here. A team to watch for me moving forward.

To be fair none of those games are a Metroidvania, major commercial successes, or something core gamers often would seek out. Rayman origins got a lot of praise because of the lack of platformers.
This is such an odd and unnecessary downplay statement to make. Rayman Origins and Legends deserved their praise because they were very good games and complimentary pieces for those who liked games such as Donkey Kong Country Returns. Both were highly rated and celebrated games amongst critics and user reviews alike.

Rayman Origins sold ~2 million copies.
Rayman Legends sold 5+ million copies.

If you personally didn't enjoy them that's fine, but there's a ton of evidence online showing how well those games were receive amongst the public.

The best way to connect the dots with them and this PoP game is the fact that both platformers and metroidvanias involve tight platforming mechanics and level design in order to be good games. They already were 2 for 2 and they simply needed to make sure that the combat was good(which it is) and that the level design was more suited towards metroidvania stylings(which it is).

So really their pedigree was nonexistent to core gaming people like us on GAF. Not to mention we all assumed that prince of Persia was dead, and that this looked low budget/bad
Some of you at least. But that's why people like myself are pointing this stuff out. After this game, you shouldn't be surprised anymore if this team releases another 80s-90s game of a different older Ubisoft franchise. Even if it looks mediocre you know there's a high chance it is going to play well because it's this team.

Personally, I liked the first showing of this game during Summer Games Fest that year(you can search my post history to see proof). It reminded me of two games I also enjoyed recently: Metroid Dread and Strider 2014. That made me look up the developer to find out who was making it. Once I found out, I knew that the game would rate high and that I'd eventually buy the game. I was right on both accounts.

and yes you do need to take into account the publisher if they shovel out shit on the regular.
No, the problem is that Ubisoft does a bad job of telling the consumer which developers are creating which game and they'll decide to not point it out as much as possible, because they'd rather you not know in order to appear more monolithic. Ubisoft however, is not monolithic. They clearly have good and bad teams. I'm assuming this move is on purpose because if core gamers started to catch on to who actually makes the good games at Ubisoft, they would care even less about the ones that the bad teams make.

It would be yet another 'Is this Infinity Ward, is this Treyarch, or is this Sledgehammer' situation which they don't want. So instead, you just get 'Here's Assassin's Creed: Red, Here's Assassin's Creed: Jade, and Here's Assassin's Creed: Blue(or whatever the hell it's called). Enjoy.' One out of these three may end up good, but they want you to buy all 3 to find out which, like a game of chance.
This is why I try to tell people here and elsewhere to simply follow developers. Not publishers. Not game titles. The developers.

No, Rayman Origins got a lot of praise because it's one of the finest 2D platformers ever made, period. I got the plat trophy and loved Legends too, both stand amongst the all-time 2D platforming greats.

The best way to connect the dots with them and this PoP game is the fact that both platformers and metroidvanias involve tight platforming mechanics and level design in order to be good games. They already were 2 for 2 and they simply needed to make sure that the combat was good(which it is) and that the level design was more suited towards metroidvania stylings(which it is).

This 100%. I had no idea this was the team who did Origins/Legends but it all makes perfect sense. The tight, white knuckle platforming and deviously designed challenges are infused with that Origins/Legends DNA through and through.

This game feels like a streamlined Hollow Knight. I’m playing on “Hero” difficulty (one step up) and it seems just right. I played for almost five hours so far and it’s pretty fun. Currently hunting down the “Jailer”.

I appreciate the “memory” feature. It negates the need to have dozens of icons littered around the map, as with Hollow Knight. I still place some icons, for locked doors or dangerous enemies. I’m not yet sure why you would need icons like the “jewels” or “person”.

I do wish there sort of anti-aliasing. The game supposedly runs at 4K, but why are there so many jagged edges?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Question for those playing. I got the clone ability or whatever it's called. Sometimes it works great, but other times I'll create the clone and try to warp back to it and it just shatters. No enemies in the area either. Is this a bug or is there something simple I'm missing? Because I've already encountered several bugs that forced me to reload a save. So not sure if this is a bug too.

Any of you folks buy the deluxe edition? I’m curious if the “digital adventure guide” is the same one you can earn via uconnect.

On a related note, $10 extra for a skin and an amulet?

Top Bottom