• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown |OT| Where's the prince, sar-gone?

That boss fight with
Menolias though. We on that Dragon Ball Super Saiyan shit
šŸ’ÆšŸ’ÆšŸ’Æ 20+ hours in now, yet even more powers unlocked opening up new exploration and puzzle/platforming possibilities, more people need to be talking about this game, deserves all the praise in the world, astonished at just how good it is.

Word. Abilities keep coming. I really like how the training always teaches me new moves that I hadnā€™t discovered myself.

I am considering lowering my difficulty to normal. I find the combat balance tough, but fair. However, I donā€™t like how it makes several amulets ineffective, such as health recovery. One missed parry can result in an almost empty life bar. Iā€™d also like to know if the amulets that provide protection, such as poison or environment protection, scale with the bonus damage caused by higher difficulty setting.

Last edited:
Soundtrack is one of the best things about this game, every track is killer and fits the given environment *perfectly*, highly recommend headphones to get the most out of it.

75% completion, 25 hours clocked. I said after my first 10 hours that this stands shoulder to shoulder with all the greats in the Metroidvania genre and that has only been solidified, hope it sells well and Montpellier gives us another game, I need more!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Best Ubisoft game in ages, and I hated the debut trailer.

10 hours in and I really hooked thanks toā€¦ The story? Wow. Who couldā€™ve thought.

I still think that UI is out of place and some shonen anime visuals are too much for the setting, but it doesnā€™t matter. This is a perfect metroidvania with surprisingly competent storytelling.

Why, Ubisoft? Why canā€™t you properly promote actually good games?

Last edited:
This game just keeps going. I have clocked 13 hours and the game claims I am only 43% complete. I have explored everything that I can, so far. I will be entering the sand pit the next time I play.

Havenā€™t played this, reviews looks great.

But can someone explain to me why the main character isnā€™t Persian/Middle Eastern?

What a strange decision to make him black in a game called Prince of Persia

Flabagast

This game just keeps going. I have clocked 13 hours and the game claims I am only 43% complete. I have explored everything that I can, so far. I will be entering the sand pit the next time I play.
From Sand Pit onwards, the game somehow step ups massively imho. As a metroidvania, but also a platformer and a brawler it becomes truly insane.

The more I play the more I am impressed by it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want to know if Granblue Fantasy Relink scores better than this. I could get this cause Iā€™m a big SOTN/Bloodstained fan.

I canā€™t help but think back on Batman Arkham Blackgate and how that was. Is it going to be good in a year or two or just good cause there isnā€™t much else out there.

Last edited:
From Sand Pit onwards, the game somehow step ups massively imho. As a metroidvania, but also a platformer and a brawler it becomes truly insane.

The more I play the more I am impressed by it.
Iā€™m curious which difficulty you have chosen. I am on ā€œheroā€, which I would say is ā€œmoderateā€. So far, it has forced me to learn and use the abilities and combos available. Iā€™m not sure I would need to on normal difficulty.

I'm having a blast with the +2 teleporting damage amulet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished the game. That was so good from exploration to discovery to boss fights to story. Fantastic game.

The credits list at the end was huge. How many people worked on this actually? 300?

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Question for those playing. I got the clone ability or whatever it's called. Sometimes it works great, but other times I'll create the clone and try to warp back to it and it just shatters. No enemies in the area either. Is this a bug or is there something simple I'm missing? Because I've already encountered several bugs that forced me to reload a save. So not sure if this is a bug too.
If you hold L1 the clone will shatter. You have to press it once.

Rockman33

It is a perception of value. 2D games are much cheaper to make than 100 hour 3D games. If someone just wants to play it, why not sub to Ubisoft + for a month then hit up their other recent games on the service?
Thatā€™s exactly what I did. After I finish Iā€™m excited to try out avatar. Both games I was unsure about buying full price. But for 18/month. Seems like a great deal.

Platinum Prince:

WHDgCbV.jpg

My 100th platinum trophy, couldn't think of a better game to mark my passage of *time* in the PlayStation ecosystem. Around 30 hours to plat, no guides (looked up *1* mystery chest solution that was annoying me), ran through areas multiple times which inflated my play time.

I've already written more than anyone else about this game so there isn't much more to add, all my previous praise stands. What's crazy to me is that this was completely off my radar until I played the demo, it absolutely hooked me and I sensed this could be something special. Even still, I wasn't planning on picking it up immediately due to both Tekken 8 and Yakuza releasing a week later but boy I'm glad I did.

This is a top 5 Metroidvania for me, maybe even top *3* and I've played all the greats. From the fluid traversal to the impactful combat, the beautiful soundtrack and engaging story, the gorgeous art and world based on rarely explored Persian culture (specifically Zoroastrianism), everything about this game sings and I don't really have any criticisms (maybe would have been nice to allow fast travel between Wak Wak trees two-thirds into the game).

Moving forward the possibilities for a sequel are endless, most obvious addition would be multiple weapon types. Bottom line is I want to see more, devs knocked this out of the park and deserve all the praise in the world. Prince of Persia is *back* and I'm excited to see what's next for the franchise.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Opinions about enemy variety and weapons variety?
Also, and most important how it is the ratio of combat/platforming/puzzle solving?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Beat it last night, I enjoyed the game quite a bit! I'd recommend anyone check it out if you're a fan of metroidvanias, it's definitely a good one. It just got better with time too. Also, I'd just get Ubi+ to play it since it's only $15 for one month.

MacReady13

Iā€™m curious and baffled as to why some think this should not be as highly priced as it is. This for mine is going to be in contention for game of the year talks! It is a phenomenal game that stands up with the absolute best of the genre (Super Metroid, SOTN etc). Game is an easy 10/10. Do not sleep on this game- worth every cent Iā€™ve paid for it.

this was completely off my radar until I played the demo,
Same here. I didnā€™t even fully acknowledge its existence. I stumbled across the demo and gave it a chance. I would have never bought or played it otherwise.

I said it in another topic, but this is better than Symphony of the Night in every way except music. It certainly tops Hollow Knight.

Iā€™m curious and baffled as to why some think this should not be as highly priced as it is. This for mine is going to be in contention for game of the year talks! It is a phenomenal game that stands up with the absolute best of the genre (Super Metroid, SOTN etc). Game is an easy 10/10. Do not sleep on this game- worth every cent Iā€™ve paid for it.
I was one of those people. I believe it was my first post on this topic. I retract what I said about it being overpriced. I based my comment on the demo and the first two hours of the game. This could be full price and it would still be worth the purchase.

TexMex

That boss fight with
Menolias though. We on that Dragon Ball Super Saiyan shit
šŸ’ÆšŸ’ÆšŸ’Æ 20+ hours in now, yet even more powers unlocked opening up new exploration and puzzle/platforming possibilities, more people need to be talking about this game, deserves all the praise in the world, astonished at just how good it is.

Did that fight last night and it was no joke - the bosses in this are so much better than expected. Agree on the abilities too, every hour its like I get something new and exciting to use. Game is HUGE.

Platinum Prince:

My 100th platinum trophy, couldn't think of a better game to mark my passage of *time* in the PlayStation ecosystem. Around 30 hours to plat, no guides (looked up *1* mystery chest solution that was annoying me), ran through areas multiple times which inflated my play time.

I've already written more than anyone else about this game so there isn't much more to add, all my previous praise stands. What's crazy to me is that this was completely off my radar until I played the demo, it absolutely hooked me and I sensed this could be something special. Even still, I wasn't planning on picking it up immediately due to both Tekken 8 and Yakuza releasing a week later but boy I'm glad I did.

This is a top 5 Metroidvania for me, maybe even top *3* and I've played all the greats. From the fluid traversal to the impactful combat, the beautiful soundtrack and engaging story, the gorgeous art and world based on rarely explored Persian culture (specifically Zoroastrianism), everything about this game sings and I don't really have any criticisms (maybe would have been nice to allow fast travel between Wak Wak trees two-thirds into the game).

Moving forward the possibilities for a sequel are endless, most obvious addition would be multiple weapon types. Bottom line is I want to see more, devs knocked this out of the park and deserve all the praise in the world. Prince of Persia is *back* and I'm excited to see what's next for the franchise.

Working on the plat myself, around 16 hours in. Any advice to make post game clean up quicker?

This game is one of the biggest marketing failures in recent memory. I've been seeing ads for it in my Instagram feed for awhile and thought it looked like a shitty indie Unity game from 10 years ago based on what they were showing. I also had no idea there was a demo until checking this thread in mild curiosity.

Pleasantly surprised so far after briefly trying the demo, will do a deeper dive tomorrow. Movement and platforming feel great, and the art style looks nice on the oled Switch.

Working on the plat myself, around 16 hours in. Any advice to make post game clean up quicker?

The only thing I can say is that parts of the map are revealed even if you physically didn't pass through them just simply passed *by* them. This means it will look like you've been in a particular room but in fact haven't, found a handful of missing things this way, just have to comb through it all.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Question: in the northeast part of the sacred archives thereā€™s a puzzle room with those blocks that shoot out of the wall when you pass over them. Can you complete this with all the skills you have when you get double jump? It feels like I need one more skill to be able to tackle this but Iā€™m not quite sure.

Flabagast

Question: in the northeast part of the sacred archives thereā€™s a puzzle room with those blocks that shoot out of the wall when you pass over them. Can you complete this with all the skills you have when you get double jump? It feels like I need one more skill to be able to tackle this but Iā€™m not quite sure.
Do you have a screen of the room just to be sure which one is it ? From instinct Iā€™d say yes you can complete it, but if this is the one I think about itā€™s one of the hardest platform challenge in the game.

Edit: Do remember to try the time teleportation power if you havenā€™t already

Last edited:
I just beat the boss in the sand pit. Has anyone successfully parried this thing? It does the gold twinkle, and I parry when the tail hits, but it always fails. I also could never avoid the pink laser sweep. I canā€™t dodge through it, so itā€™s a guaranteed hit on me.

I canā€™t believe how much more map is implied after this. I figured his game would be done before Tekken Friday, but now Iā€™m not sure.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Do you have a screen of the room just to be sure which one is it ? From instinct Iā€™d say yes you can complete it, but if this is the one I think about itā€™s one of the hardest platform challenge in the game.

Edit: Do remember to try the time teleportation power if you havenā€™t already
Yep I figured it out a few minutes after I posted.

The only thing Im stuck on right now is several areas have gates with seemingly no switches nearby and no connecting areas from somewhere else. So either I get an ability that allows me to traverse through gates or there is a hidden wall somewhere that opens these. The city areas have several of these.

Flabagast

I just beat the boss in the sand pit. Has anyone successfully parried this thing? It does the gold twinkle, and I parry when the tail hits, but it always fails. I also could never avoid the pink laser sweep. I canā€™t dodge through it, so itā€™s a guaranteed hit on me.

I canā€™t believe how much more map is implied after this. I figured his game would be done before Tekken Friday, but now Iā€™m not sure.
Yes I parried it every time once I got the gist of it.

For its laser sweep you have a easy technique, you can
trap its laser balls with your dimension power and send them back to him

TexMex

I had the same thought, and based on where you're at, I don't think you've even seen 50% of the map yet. It's enormous.

People questioning the value proposition here are insane. Even at the reduced $49, there is more content and enjoyment out of this than any $70 release I've bought in recent memory.

I'm at 75% complete on my save file and at the point of no return. Pretty sure I just need to beat the game, and then do collectible cleanup.

Same here. I didnā€™t even fully acknowledge its existence. I stumbled across the demo and gave it a chance. I would have never bought or played it otherwise.

I said it in another topic, but this is better than Symphony of the Night in every way except music. It certainly tops Hollow Knight.

I was one of those people. I believe it was my first post on this topic. I retract what I said about it being overpriced. I based my comment on the demo and the first two hours of the game. This could be full price and it would still be worth the purchase.

Definitely tops Hollow Knight, one of the most overrated games of all time

But can someone explain to me why the main character isnā€™t Persian/Middle Eastern?
To give you a better answer:

The Immortals are all an elite team made up of different people from different areas. Sargon is one of them. Also, he is not the Prince. The plot is his quest to save the prince.

Again he is not a African he is a dark skin Persian with modern haircut
I agree that the modern haircut is dumb. The poster above us though is pointing out race for a certain reason.

Not that it should matter, but Sargon doesnā€™t:

1) Talk in AAVE
2) Speak like a caucasian american (like PoP 2008ā€™s protagonist)
3) Discuss struggles and the plight of race.

The ā€˜wokeā€™ stuff was less annoying to deal with when people simply played video games and judged the character by how well they are written(like Bayek from AC Origins for example). Now itā€™s bled into the smaller details of every piece of media, and it forces others like myself to have to do research and/or correct the person just screaming out ā€˜this is wokeā€™ just because a person with darker skin appears on screen or is a protagonist.

Yes I parried it every time once I got the gist of it.

For its laser sweep you have a easy technique, you can
I guess my timing was just off. After my few dozen attempts, this was the only attack that gave me trouble. I did discover that throwing a ball would stop the laser attack, but not until the final few attempts. Hmm, now I wish I had a way to challenge it again!

I woke up today and one of my first thoughts was, ā€œI never did explore the jail after getting the keyā€. So, I know what I am doing this morning.

TexMex

zJQ6BJW.jpg

Ayyyyyy

Love love loved it

I was a little nervous the first hour, way too much story and too many characters, half the appeal of these games are the loneliness and exploration. Thankfully it abandons that pretty quick.

Best feeling 2D movement since Dead Cells IMO. The platforming is fair and challenging. The abilities all feel so good, and all of them useful. The biomes are extremely varied and unique.

Top 10 Metroidvania. Maybe top 5? But anyone saying itā€™s better than SotN has a screw loose sorry.

Weā€™ll be extremely lucky to get 10 better games than this this year. Just loved it. Would have happily paid the full $70 for this.

Last edited:
Iā€™m playing the game and wondering how they expect most players to get though thisā€¦ then I remembered that I selected a higher difficulty. Each boss takes about a dozen tries, but I think thatā€™s the style of this game: trial and error until you memorize the patterns.

Hero difficulty actually seems spot on. I have to carefully choose my amulets for the situation and upgrade them. I do suspect that it throws off the balance of some amulets, such as the environmental protection being overly strong, and health regeneration being too weak.

My favourites are the flaming arrows combine with the multiple arrow shot, also boosting my air attacks and dodge attacks (which can knock them into the air). The one That damages enemies when you teleport through them is also very strong, and knocks them into the air.

I presume I am near the end. Game reports around 70% complete and Iā€™ve ā€œshot the starsā€ if you know what I mean. Just doing some cleanup then heading into the final area. It is obvious that I am missing one more ability, though.

Anyone reading this who enjoys any sort of similar game (Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, etc) should buy this sight unseen. It will be on some GOTY lists for sure.

I finished the game tonight. I didnā€™t get the platinum (92% complete). I am missing one architect puzzle, one of the ā€œlost warriorsā€, and a soma leaf or two. I managed to get what I really wanted: all of the spirit jars for the prophecy. That is pretty cool how the wall shows you what is going to happen.

I noticed a glitch where the music cuts out for the rest of the session. Itā€™s been happening every day. Maybe related to rest mode? It felt weird to have no music for the final battle and end credits.

This game is like a jigsaw puzzle. At first, you build the border and think, ā€œthis will be quickā€. Then you realize the magnitude of your mission. You almost give up, but then you find a piece and think, ā€œone more pieceā€. This repeats until suddenly, the end is in sight, and everything falls into place.

What a fantastic experience!

Vyse

Gold Member
I finished the game tonight. I didnā€™t get the platinum (92% complete). I am missing one architect puzzle, one of the ā€œlost warriorsā€, and a soma leaf or two. I managed to get what I really wanted: all of the spirit jars for the prophecy. That is pretty cool how the wall shows you what is going to happen.

I noticed a glitch where the music cuts out for the rest of the session. Itā€™s been happening every day. Maybe related to rest mode? It felt weird to have no music for the final battle and end credits.

This game is like a jigsaw puzzle. At first, you build the border and think, ā€œthis will be quickā€. Then you realize the magnitude of your mission. You almost give up, but then you find a piece and think, ā€œone more pieceā€. This repeats until suddenly, the end is in sight, and everything falls into place.

What a fantastic experience!
Iā€™ve been playing unguided and usually knock out the bosses in a 4 or 5 tries. Sure I am spending too much time exploring. Trial and error with places I canā€™t get to yet. Balance is perfect for me. Thought I was close to the end, but Iā€˜m only 40% done.

Iā€™ve been playing unguided and usually knock out the bosses in a 4 or 5 tries. Sure I am spending too much time exploring. Trial and error with places I canā€™t get to yet. Balance is perfect for me. Thought I was close to the end, but Iā€˜m only 40% done.
I donā€™t use guides, either.

I thought I may need to lower difficulty for the final boss, but it was actually one of the easiest fights in the game for me. It only took two tries on Hero difficulty. That was actually a relief for me, since I was hoping to finish the game before bed tonight. Most bosses took five attempts or more. It still felt fair.

Top Bottom