• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with XBL - WTF is this?

Quagm1r3

Lately I've been having a lot of technical problems with XBL.

My most basic and early occurring problem starts when I start up the console. When it first connects to XBL (queue "You have connected to XBL" message), it takes a long time, if at all, for the first 3 pages on the dashboard to appear. Instead, when I switch to those pages, I get loading screens.

A problem I got as recently as yesterday, but haven't seen today at all, is whenever I try to play a game, online or offline, arcade or full, I get a message saying "Disconnected from XBL". When I try to reconnect, it won't let me. And when I test my connection, it says it's the fault of XBL.

As recently as today I've been getting messages while trying to play COD4 online saying "You must have an active connection to play online in COD4." However, I'm still able to join games.

All of this up till now has been nothing more than an annoyance. But since about 10 minutes ago, COD4 won't even go online anymore. I tried joining friends and it says the "You must have an active connection...." message. Just trying to go to "Multiplayer", then "Xbox Live" (in the COD4 menu) leaves me at a screen that says "Downloading game settings..." And after 5 minutes of this loading screen, finally I have access to the menu, but my rank won't even appear...only my name. And when I try to join a game, AGAIN, I get the "You must have an active connection...." message.

So if you didn't feel like reading all of that, in short, my XBL has been acting fucked up lately. Has anyone else had weird problems related to their connection?

XBL has been acting up the past week or so. I've had similar problems, but fortunately they've been brief and infrequent.

Quagm1r3

Cornballer said:
XBL has been acting up the past week or so. I've had similar problems, but fortunately they've been brief and infrequent.

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one with these issues. I'm sure that this is related to either the recent update or the flooding XBL subscribers that have come in with the Christmas rush.

Geoff9920

I don't think it's you, Live has been having problems all week and it seems to be having issue's at this very moment.

tombur

Quagm1r3 said:

My most basic and early occurring problem starts when I start up the console. When it first connects to XBL (queue "You have connected to XBL" message), it takes a long time, if at all, for the first 3 pages on the dashboard to appear. Instead, when I switch to those pages, I get loading screens.

This is fucking happening to me right now!

TaKeRx

yea, I'm having major issues right now. Wiht XBL and COD4. I'm pissed. Well I guess I'll just play rockband in the meantime...

Gah, it's terrible for me. So, I have a shiny new 12 month Live code. Scratch the stuff off the card, reveal it, try and add it: oops! Microsoft's servers are crappy, the Xbox will happily tell me it's a valid, 12 month live code, but as soon as I say "yse plz" it'll have 8016aba5 as the error code. Now, I try again, and oops! The code is not valid.

I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm not happy. I sure hope the code hasn't activated, but just not to any account.

what everybody else said.

i'm signed in, but can't play online.

last night i wasn't signed in, but COULD play online.

this morning whenever i was signed into live my live blade and marketplace blade wouldn't load.

50 bucks a year.

Geoff9920

xS1TH L0RDx said:

this morning whenever i was signed into live my live blade and marketplace blade wouldn't load.

50 bucks a year.
That's me at this very moment.

TaKeRx

xS1TH L0RDx said:

50 bucks a year.

That's what's happening to me right now.

BTW: anyone now how to make it that it doesn't automatically signs you on on messenger? It's been very annoying lately and I don't see an option.

You see, I'd love to be complaining "as a paying customer, it's a disgrace to have the service so poor", but it turns out they're not letting me become one. :(

Did no-one at MS think "come Christmas day, the load on the servers will really increase. Let's make it so they can cope."

blitz64

As already mentioned, I'm having issues right now as well but after 20 minutes of retrying, I was able to finally connect!!

Could it be all the newbies trying to get into xbox live? With everyone playing over christmas break, maybe live isn't able to handle the million of users. I do notice alot of new players in bomberman and tetris splash.

Firewire

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:
So if you didn't feel like reading all of that, in short, my XBL has been acting fucked up lately. Has anyone else had weird problems related to their connection?

A friend mentioned that he's been having connection problems since the last update. All I know is that he's pretty frustrated with it, specially because of the holidays.

Quagm1r3

xS1TH L0RDx said:
50 bucks a year.

I wouldn't be too upset. I'm sure most of these issues will be gone in a week. In the meantime, I think better performance will come if you play later at night when not as many people will be playing.

JonathanEx said:
You see, I'd love to be complaining "as a paying customer, it's a disgrace to have the service so poor", but it turns out they're not letting me become one. :(

Did no-one at MS think "come Christmas day, the load on the servers will really increase. Let's make it so they can cope."

not to mention the boat loads of kids on school vacation getting online.

i've been having problems for a little over a week now.

besada

Banned
Either they underpredicted sales, or they underpredicted sales to Live conversions.

It's easy to underpredict bandwidth and server capacity though, especially when your top end talent is taking half a month off for the holidays.

XBL is being a meanie. I want to buy EEEE, but can't get into the Marketplace. Having problems accessing leaderboards for any given game, too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My problems peaked around Christmas day. It all seems to be gone now. Played TF2 just a while ago and everything worked all right

Users may experience intermittent issues with tournaments, posting statistics, matchmaking, and sending messages. We are aware of the issue and are actively working towards a resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience.

-xbox.com support

this gives me more time to play uncharted :)

I can attest to the same problems going on with my account right now. Why am I paying $50 a year for this again? My PS3 seems to be doing just fine, so I guess I'll have to bust open Uncharted. This is living?

Users may experience intermittent issues with tournaments, posting statistics, matchmaking, and sending messages. Additionally Halo 3 users may experience issues joining matches or posting statistics. We are aware of the issue and are actively working towards a resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience.

From the Xbox Live Status website

Amon37

noob 360 owner here. When I power on the 360 it says I'm signed in but when the XBOX live blade comes up I still need to click "sign in to XBOX live"

Is that the norm?? Why would I be signed in but not to live?

Benjamin1981 said:
Users may experience intermittent issues with tournaments, posting statistics, matchmaking, and sending messages. Additionally Halo 3 users may experience issues joining matches or posting statistics. We are aware of the issue and are actively working towards a resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience.

From the Xbox Live Status website

CMON MAN, 3 mins old :lol

I have an even worse scenario. Two days ago I recovered my gamertag to a friend's machine while I was visiting for the holidays. I go back to my own machine and cannot recover my profile.

I have tried over 30 times over the past few days without any luck. And what really sucks about this is that my profile is currently stuck in limbo. I can't even access it from his console. So it's not only holding my profile ransom, I also can't play any games AT ALL because I can't access my saved games or my arcade titles because I have to be online to do so (I'm on my second Xbox and most of them were bought on my first one).

I've really loved what MS has done with their online functionality, but now I am seeing the dark side of it. Never before in my life have I not been able to play games I own games or access my saves simply because a server somewhere is fucked up.

I'm pretty pissed right now as this is my vacation time and I want to play Blue Dragon and Rockband but i can't.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
EternalGamer said:
I have an even worse scenario. Two days ago I recovered my gamertag to a friend's machine while I was visiting for the holidays. I go back to my own machine and cannot recover my profile.

I have tried over 30 times over the past few days without any luck. And what really sucks about this is that my profile is currently stuck in limbo. I can't even access it from his console. So it's not only holding my profile ransom, I also can't play any games AT ALL because I can't access my saved games or my arcade titles because I have to be online to do so (I'm on my second Xbox and most of them were bought on my first one).

I've really loved what MS has done with their online functionality, but now I am seeing the dark side of it. Never before in my life have I not been able to play games I own games or access my saves simply because a server somewhere is fucked up.

I'm pretty pissed right now as this is my vacation time and I want to play Blue Dragon and Rockband but i can't.

Wow that sucks. Have you tried calling MS? Either way, I thought recovering your gamertag was a neat feature that I should try sometime while I'm at a friend, but after hearing this horror story I'll probably just leave it at that.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Live is so broken it can't even load your Games Blade, denying access to any arcade title on the system. That's a new one.

50 bucks a year indeed.

(To use your Xbox 360 system during the Holidays, please unplug your ethernet cable. Thank you.)

yoopoo

Banned
No wonder I was having trouble with COD4 last night. Glad I don't pay for XBL...unlimited 48 hour trials for win.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Having trouble right now. SHIT, just when I have the time. Lately it has been so fucked up. Its annoying me, A LOT.

Amon37 said:
noob 360 owner here. When I power on the 360 it says I'm signed in but when the XBOX live blade comes up I still need to click "sign in to XBOX live"

Is that the norm?? Why would I be signed in but not to live?
Live is the internet thing. You sign into a profile so it tracks game saves and such.

Borys

Banned
I would post $50 a year joke but I had and am still having various, random problems with my ISP that costs me $30 a month so I won't.

Paying for shit is one annoying thing, paying for shit that doesn't even work is something quite different.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I've been having sporadic problems since around the time the fall update hit.

Nothing too serious, but it's certainly annoying to see a DISCONNECTED FROM XBOX LIVE warning appear while playing Mass Effect, sometimes up to 2 or 3 times in one evening. I haven't tried today yet, but I think yesterday was just fine, IIRC.

Signing into XBL and pulling up the connected blades has been consistently slower than usual ever since the fall update, however.

Darunia said:
Wow that sucks. Have you tried calling MS? Either way, I thought recovering your gamertag was a neat feature that I should try sometime while I'm at a friend, but after hearing this horror story I'll probably just leave it at that.

I also have never used the recovery feature before. But I can definitely say that this will be the first and last time I do.

Sysgen

XBL has not been running smooth for a while. I'm not sure if it's MS not devoting enough resources to the network (in the interest of cutting costs) or what but the network has not been running as it should be.

DuckRacer

Quagm1r3 said:

That's the problem I have.

I'd make the "$50 a year" joke, but I'd be beating a dead horse.

EternalGamer said:
I also have never used the recovery feature before. But I can definitely say that this will be the first and last time I do.

I have used the feature several times without a hitch. I'm sure you inability to recover it stems from the technical difficulties since the 24th

Duck said:
That's the problem I have.

I'd make the "$50 a year" joke, but I'd be beating a dead horse.

My last couple of consoles have done that. Annoying, but not anything to warrant a $50 joke. Just click the sign in button.

Xosen

I live in Spain. Same problems here. COD4 multiplayer is also broken for me, don't know if its related....

Atrophis

Just been playing coop gears, end the game, now im getting the same thing :(

First time its happened and ive been playing online all week.

Well, Major Nelson's site is back up. Hopefully this is a positive sign for things to come. The question is, how much longer is MS going to hold my $400 game console with it's $500+ of Arcade titles ransom via it's $50 per year online service.

Over the last few weeks a million more people plus have probably signed on to Live. I'm surprised the service works at all with that kind of extra load.

Top Bottom