• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with XBL - WTF is this?

Quazar

Benjamin1981 said:
Just listened to the new Major Nelson Podcast.

They can't say anything about the status of Live anymore because a lawyer sued them. Of course they wanted to come out and say what was going on but now they can't...

:lol :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
Psychotext said:
I wasn't expecting any particularly useful info, but knowing we can get none now is very annoying.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are just using the lawsuit as an excuse and really they have no new info.

It's ok, though. I understand. It's Microsoft. It's not like they're a super-rich company that can add more servers to accommodate more users.

M3wThr33 said:
It's not like they're a super-rich company that can add more servers to accommodate more users.
That's what's particularly concerning... I know people in MS and I know how easily they can bring more capacity online. I'm sure there's something else going on here.

Benjamin1981 said:
Just listened to the new Major Nelson Podcast.

They can't say anything about the status of Live anymore because a lawyer sued them. Of course they wanted to come out and say what was going on but now they can't...
1) Create online service.
2) Charge for said online service.
3) ???? Remove said service, continue fund collection operation and pretend you can't talk about it.
4) Profit.

Looks like Microsoft finally found out how to make the Xbox profitable.

I just wanna play my games online again ....

Proc

This pisses me off that it is still shat. I got bumped off and didn't realize it as I was having an amazing PacMAN CE run, when all of a sudden I get ejected because LIVE thinks I only own the trial because Microsoft sold me shitty hardware.

fse

i was trying to get credits back for a movie i dl'd but couldn't watch cause of the fuck ups. guess what happened when they looked at my gamertag records... the system crashed. wtf.

M3wThr33

Banned
Psychotext said:
That's what's particularly concerning... I know people in MS and I know how easily they can bring more capacity online. I'm sure there's something else going on here.
And this is EXACTLY why I know it can't simply be 'too many users.' This behavior isn't exactly typical of 'too many users' on other online networks.
There's something they aren't saying.

FFChris

M3wThr33 said:
And this is EXACTLY why I know it can't simply be 'too many users.' This behavior isn't exactly typical of 'too many users' on other online networks.

Did they ever say it was because of too many users? I mean, I'm sure too many users have definately caused problems with the system, but I think that's just the tip of the iceberg. I think the influx have users have exposed other problems with the system, not bandwidth and server speed related.

As this thread is dying, I have to ask, are you guys all able to finally get on Live now? I'm finally able to load the blades, but doing just about anything else results in the same problems. What is the status with you guys?

Onemic

M3wThr33 said:

The too many users thing is clearly BS. With the amount of money they're getting from Live I don't see how it can even be an issue. Especially when the PS3 had a similar outburst of new users during the holiday and their free service didn't go down at all.

RBH

Live has been working fine for me for the past week with little issues.

Guess I've been lucky given what I've been reading about other people's experiences.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Zack-Morris said:
As this thread is dying, I have to ask, are you guys all able to finally get on Live now? I'm finally able to load the blades, but doing just about anything else results in the same problems. What is the status with you guys?

Yesterday I got disconnected regularly, but apart from that the days before were pretty much ok.

FordStang

Live is fine for me with Halo, but Madden 08 just flat out stinks on live. Does anyone know if that could be caused by live or the EA servers??

probune

Playing games on Live is fine for me but whenever I want to go buy something in marketplace or video marketplace, I STILL get errors.

Mr Spliff

Cancelled my Gold sub last night and got a full refund. Vote with your dollar. I spent 2 hours complaining to get my refund. This was just one of many issues and I've had enough.

sadly this thread will get resurrected any time anyone has any problem whatsoever with anything on xbox live whether its widespread or not. :(

that said, no problems for me for at least a week or 2.

Baker

Banned
I was able to play Rock Band online last night. It actually loaded my friends list on the dashboard for the first time in awhile.

However, the marketplace is still completely f'ed. 50% of the time it works. 25% of the time it says there is no content. The last 25% consists of it throwing out that right-side blade "Xbox Live can't be reached" when I'm scrolling through the list and then boots me back to the main menu.

About 3 days now I been unable to sign in it seems, cannot play with friends or online at all.

I pay using the instore cards now instead of my old cc/dc's but it's a shame I topped up about 3 weeks before it all went tits up. Will probably be fixed by the time my 3 month live runs out...

Z_Y

Mr Spliff said:
Cancelled my Gold sub last night and got a full refund. Vote with your dollar. I spent 2 hours complaining to get my refund. This was just one of many issues and I've had enough.

After having to deal with customer support the last few days over various issues...I feel your pain. I have actually been hung up on/disconnected three times in my dealings with them. I have never been treated so inconsequential by a customer support staff before.

Basically my problem is that 3 of my 26 arade games that I purchased on my old 360 are not "unlocked" on my new 360 even when I am logged into Live. They appear to be unlocked on the dashboard but when you launch them they are the trial version. Even if I was stupid enough to want to purchase them again, i couldn't because there is no option to buy...there is only a check mark beside the full version meaning that I already purchased it. :lol Good stuff right there.

Imagine trying to describe this phenomenon to their tier 1 support staff? I lost all faith in humanity. They kept telling me that is how their DRM policy is and refused to escalate the call. I was flustered to say the least. I finally got a friendly tech and hopefully I'm on my way to getting my issues resolved. I say hopefully because they basically told me to wait two weeks while they do their thing and that should resolve my licensing issues on my new console. I'm part of the next "batch" whatever that means. It is all voodoo and devilry to me. Anyone ever go through this process before?

Wow, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that's been hung up on a few times. I was extremely friendly, calm, and patient on the phone, but it seems that anytime there was a question about either Live being down, or my DRM-locked games, I got put on hold and "accidentally" hung up on. They also seem to have problems ever finding my case numbers in the system.

Z_Y said:
Imagine trying to describe this phenomenon to their tier 1 support staff? I lost all faith in humanity. They kept telling me that is how their DRM policy is and refused to escalate the call. I was flustered to say the least. I finally got a friendly tech and hopefully I'm on my way to getting my issues resolved. I say hopefully because they basically told me to wait two weeks while they do their thing and that should resolve my licensing issues on my new console. I'm part of the next "batch" whatever that means. It is all voodoo and devilry to me. Anyone ever go through this process before?
Welcome to the next "batch." I've got a DRM problem, too, and was told they'd get back to me within a month.

That was October.

Since then, they never once called me back, despite saying they would. I've called three times, asking for an update as to my issue (transferring DRMs from my old, busted system to my new one) and they have no answers. They can only say: "It's been escalated to our highest level at Microsoft. They'll let you know when it's fixed." Which is awesome, because I love Limbo.

I'd call more often to fight the system, but 1) honestly, no one knows anything there, so bugging them seems to not help with anything, and 2) it takes me an hour to get someone on the line who can understand my problem. I've pretty much given up.

But g'luck. ;_;

Z_Y

plaidtopia said:
Welcome to the next "batch." I've got a DRM problem, too, and was told they'd get back to me within a month.

That was October.

Since then, they never once called me back, despite saying they would. I've called three times, asking for an update as to my issue (transferring DRMs from my old, busted system to my new one) and they have no answers. They can only say: "It's been escalated to our highest level at Microsoft. They'll let you know when it's fixed." Which is awesome, because I love Limbo.

I'd call more often to fight the system, but 1) honestly, no one knows anything there, so bugging them seems to not help with anything, and 2) it takes me an hour to get someone on the line who can understand my problem. I've pretty much given up.

But g'luck. ;_;

That whooshing sound was the sound of my soul being crushed. :(

So I'm basically on the train to nowhere with this too, it seems. To be fair, they have called me back when they said they were going to but I get the feeling I'm being led on sorta. :lol

First they called me while at work and asked me for my serial #....since I didn't have my console in front of me I told the guy I'd have to call back that night. I did and that is when I got the friendly tech who informed me of the "batch":lol and he took down my serial #, console ID, and a list of all of my arcade games. I asked the guy if there was anything else I needed to provide and assured me that there wasn't.

I figured that was going to be the last I heard from them until either they call to tell me I'm good to go or I call to see why it hasn't been fixed yet after two weeks time. But today I get another call while at work from a guy asking for some info. I told him I wasn't in front of my xbox at the time and that I had thought I had given them all the info they needed. The guy then informed me that there was some Live related info that they needed to get and scheduled another call back for tomorrow night.

I'm optimistic they will call back but not that this is going to go anywhere. :( At least I feel I have a good leg to stand on...I mean I have purchased content that is unusable even when I follow their rules. They gotta fix that, right? Right? :-/

ShowDog

I still can't play reliably with friends in COD4. It won't let us join a party 75% of the times I try, though it works a lot better if I just play matchmaking not in a party. But I bought the damn thing to play with my friends, so it sucks horribly.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
mine has been pretty ok for a couple of weeks.

I've been playing Gears of War co-op for the last 2 nights and haven't had an issue. But during christmas it was a fucking write off.

Still solid for me. Noticing people mentioning COD4 over the web... starting to suspect that's something outside of problems with live.

Bildi

The only problem I'm having is with the power-off download thing. For about a week I've been trying to download a couple of big demos overnight (Club and Turok) and the stupid 360 switches off completely at some point during the night before my downloads are finished. And wants to start all over again when I power up.

Last night I went out to check if it was still going and it had stopped downloading and switched off completely after about half an hour. Annoying.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
got to play cod4 for about an hour tonight, but once again it (live?) seems to be having issues now. 3 friends and i were having fun when all of a sudden we couldnt find a match without people getting dropped. then we couldnt even search for games before the lobby would close. thinking it was just a friends/lobby issue, i played alone for one good game, then 2 games FILLED with lag and connection issues ending in a "host quit" message.

so, same old shit.

has microsoft offered any official word on whats going on or what they are doing to fix it? the service has been perfect since the launch during the xbox with the only down times i remember being scheduled. i'm sure traffic is at all time highs now what with halo 3 and cod4 both attracting huge followings, but its been weeks now and we seem to be still having issues...

Top Bottom