• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with XBL - WTF is this?

skybaby

explorer said:
A new DRM measure by MS to thwart Game Savers. If you move your profile to another machine and use GT ecovery to retrieve said profile, MS erases ALL the saves associated with that profile on your HDD. Merry Xmas.
Wait, what? If I recover my GT at a friend's house then come back home and recover it back that means bye-bye my saves?
Where do I hand in my coat? :lol

explorer said:
A new DRM measure by MS to thwart Game Savers. If you move your profile to another machine and use GT ecovery to retrieve said profile, MS erases ALL the saves associated with that profile on your HDD. Merry Xmas.

When was this supposedly implemented? I ask because I did A GT transfer and recovery in early december for a Rock Band party and had no such issues. I know that MS says that losing saves is possible, but it didn't happen in my case. Everything was fine. That's not to say I wasn't scared shitless during the account recovery though.

skybaby said:
Wait, what? If I recover my GT at a friend's house then come back home and recover it back that means bye-bye my saves?
Where do I hand in my coat? :lol
No. This isn't as serious as it seems. Here's what I think is the explaination.

- User has GamerTag on 360
- User transfer GamerTag onto Memory card at 10:15 PM (this is recorded onto live) (copy A)
- User attempts to retrieve GamerTag from live, without ever bringing copy A back as syncronized with Live, hence flags this as a potential problem.

TheKurgan

Spent the last 2 hours playing COD4 multi - LIVE is F'ked up. Probably only got 4 or 5 games completed in that time and spent at least an hour of it in the lobby waiting for the games to start. Also in one of the games none of my kills counted towards any of my stats or challenges. Microsoft needs to get there shit together. This is the worst I have ever seen LIVE run since it launched.

probune

Live was fine for me for the past couple days but it's acting up again, I thought they had their shit sorted out, too :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
fuck. rarely am I on a roll in Halo and then the problems act up, typical. I was on a roll with th e shotty when I get disconnected. Up yours ms

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
gray_fox224 said:
I can't believe there are still problems. Shame Microsoft. Give us a rebate.

really? have you ever heard of windows?

TheKurgan

Keyser Soze said:
I just got one fantastic lag free, bug free game of COD4 done, and now I cannot connect to any other game at all :(

Yeah exact same problem I am having. Games run fine if you can get into them.

Alex P

Alright kids, a few more updates regarding the DDoS info I posted.

Our source has presented us with a few new details. The attack was not specifically on Xbox Live itself, but instead on the entire Microsoft Passport/Live authentication system, which resulted in a cascade failure. Additionally, the service peaked with 800,000 users simultaneously connected over the holidays.

In case you missed it: http://www.primotechnology.com/2008/01/03/recent-xbox-live-issues-may-be-result-of-attack/

I'm also trying to find out why we're still seeing so much downtime, in addition to why so many people's saves were affected.

No_Style

sullyj said:
From the blog

And as a thank you for your loyalty during this holiday period, we will be offering all of our Xbox LIVE members around the world access to a full Xbox LIVE Arcade game that will be available to download free of charge. In the coming weeks we will be sharing the specific details of this offer with you.

Any idea if silver accounts qualify? I'm sure there are some who are impacted in some way by these XBL problems.

Dirtbag

I'm glad I ran into this thread because live has been absolutely terrible for me for a week+ now. COD4 is absolutely frustrating with the connection problems. Takes forever to find a game, and I get massive stutters in every game.

Dirtbag 504 said:
I'm glad I ran into this thread because live has been absolutely terrible for me for a week+ now. COD4 is absolutely frustrating with the connection problems. Takes forever to find a game, and I get massive stutters in every game.
you start saying "wh- wh- wh- what's wr- r- rong with this g- g- g- game?"

oh god that was a horrible joke

maus

if the arcade game sucks and the service continues to be shitty i'll probably let my subscription run out at the end of the month, sell all this expensive shit i bought, and upgrade my pc.

M3wThr33

Banned
maus said:
if the arcade game sucks and the service continues to be shitty i'll probably let my subscription run out at the end of the month, sell all this expensive shit i bought, and upgrade my pc.
You can almost guarantee it's going to be something like Robotron or Asteroids.
Now it just comes down to defining how long "continues to be shitty" lasts for.

jhferry said:
My gold ran out so I was trying to add a code and it wont go through because live is still giving errors. So I am stuck at silver

Your best bet is to wait the probs out at Silver for now. If you're desperate though you could just log into Xbox.com and redeem the code from there (I did it with points I got for Chrimbo).

Dear. Lord. I can't believe LIVE is still gummed up.

Also: It may be old, but I found this site. Some guy claims he's created a script that checks LIVE's status every 10 minutes, then creates a graph. If there were no problems, it marks this check-up with a blue stripe. If there's a problem, it gets a red stripe. For example, here's yesterday's graph:

2008-01-04.PNG

Ready for the funny? Here's today's supposed graph:

2008-01-05.PNG

Dunno if this is legit or just a clever way to troll MS, but based on my service, I'd hazard a guess at FOR FUCK'S SAKE IT'S TRUE.

Quagm1r3

Damn, problems are still persisting. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still can't connect to COD4 games. This is fucking pitiful.

Version 1

Anybody think this might have something to do with Gates' keynote tonight?

Let's say they add the Netflix service to the 360 similar to what they announced with LG this week- Could testing the server load for the new service possibly be to blame for the shit that is Live currently?

Quagm1r3

Version 1 said:
Anybody think this might have something to do with Gates' keynote tonight?

Let's say they add the Netflix service to the 360 similar to what they announced with LG this week- Could testing the server load for the new service possibly be to blame for the shit that is Live currently?

I've heard a lot of conspiracies before; "XBL was hacked", for example. Yours is no different buddy.

Sony needs to get an advertisement out . . . quick.

"Buy a PS3 . . . there are so few owners and even fewer online people that we never have any trouble keeping our online system up and running! Uh . . and it is FREE!" :D

ilbambino

speculawyer said:
Sony needs to get an advertisement out . . . quick.

"Buy a PS3 . . . there are so few owners and even fewer online people that we never have any trouble keeping our online system up and running! Uh . . and it is FREE!" :D

Let's not go there please.

I would prefer if MS extends the gold accounts subscriptions, for the days the service hasn't been ok. It seems better than some game i will most likely not play.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Quagm1r3

Domino Theory said:
WHAT? The first weekend that Halo 3 was out, there were 1.04 million people online at once playing Halo 3 online and there were no problems with LIVE.

:(

No problems you say? That's a good one...

pj

Banned
It's times like this that I almost appreciate tf2's shitty barebones xbl implementation. It has worked fine for me through this entire ordeal

Chinner

Banned
Domino Theory said:
WHAT? The first weekend that Halo 3 was out, there were 1.04 million people online at once playing Halo 3 online and there were no problems with LIVE.

Luke Smith Confirmed that the highest amount of players playing Halo 3 at once was about 550kish. There was a bug in the in game counter which projected a wrong figure. Still, having over 500k people playing at once is hella lot.

hgplayer1

I keep getting disconnected when I go to play Metal Slug.

I had downloaded the trial version a couple days ago and played it that day and today and no problems. I decided to unlock the full version and when it was done i went to play the game again and it auto signed me out.

At first I thought maybe Live just went down so I went back to dash and it automatically signed me back in. I try Metal Slug again and it automatically signed me out again.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Cedeo

My dashboard won't load up all games are fine though, the dashboard just has a small grey 360 with a grey ring of circles pulsating around it, never loads.

tak

Domino Theory said:

I don't remember the details, but that number on Bungie's website was later found to be inaccurate, Luke from Bungie told us in the official Halo 3 thread.

EDIT: nm, someone already posted it.

Top Bottom