• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I am PISSED you posted those images.

Those are all AWESOME. Dark Phoenix and Edgeworth look so legit.

DAMN IT.

GSR

My god, I've become a link in the GAF->Internet->GAF chain.

(RyougaSaotome originally posted those - can't recall if it was directly on GAF, but that's where I know him from - then I posted it to C-R, and now it's being posted here.)

FluxWaveZ

I remember those being posted here a while back, yeah. I don't know if Dark Phoenix and Dark Layton are talked about, but the game itself has a lot of details and background on concept art. I know for sure Edgeworth and Larry are mentioned in the concept art section, since it says that they were initially supposed to be in the game (main story).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished the game last night. Everyone in this thread is out of their freaking mind: THE STORY WAS AWESOME! The Last Trial was excellent.

Endgame Spoilers
... Seriously, how could you guys NOT enjoy "The Village" crossed with "Virtue's Last Reward" type of story interwoven into your Phoenix Wright? Totally COOL. I understand this level of Horseshit is pretty common in your Layton games (never played through any of them), but it's really out there for an Ace Attorney game.

I loved it! It ranks up there with one of my favorite trails in the entire series. Just completely different from the typical Ace Attorney type of thing, it was fun, it was different, it was daring... and it was a lot of bullshit. I know there are plot holes abound: "Why did people not bump into invisible objects?" etc. But WHATEVER, it's a fucking video game story right?! I'm okay with "not everything gets explained!" and your mind is left to fill in the gaps. That's typical of "Twilight Zone" style of story telling.

... And the OST: Amazing! I loved all the remixes played through the end credits, and the special cameo at the end, was awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed this game, beginning to end.

I'm the biggest AA fanboy, here's how I would rank them:

AAI = AA2 = AA3 =AA4 = AA5= AA:I = LvAA

Honestly... I don't remember most the games. I started playing the series almost six years ago. All I remember is that I enjoyed and loved every single one, there wasn't a single game in the series that disappointmented me.

I will say, I listen to all the OSTs a lot on YouTube, and I think Layton vs AA is the best OST in the entire series.

Finished the game a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the last trial up until the epilogue, but I felt as though the actual ending just dragged on and on. I thought
the twist was cool up until they started talking about how it was all done to protect Espella. I mean, really? All for the one girl?

More importantly:
If magic isn't real, can anyone explain all the stuff we saw at the beginning of the game in London, before we got to Labyrinthia? I mean, there was a crow that flew through a window, transformed itself, and kidnapped Espella. How does that make sense if magic isn't real?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished the game a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the last trial up until the epilogue, but I felt as though the actual ending just dragged on and on. I thought
the twist was cool up until they started talking about how it was all done to protect Espella. I mean, really? All for the one girl?

To address this first point:
A father's love for his daughter, I get it. Parents do "stupid" things out of love for their kids. I understand... and I also understand how some people without kids, "don't get it". It's the same story motivation angle you see in Silent Hill, Heavy Rain... I'm sure there are other examples, you get the idea.

More importantly:
If magic isn't real, can anyone explain all the stuff we saw at the beginning of the game in London, before we got to Labyrinthia? I mean, there was a crow that flew through a window, transformed itself, and kidnapped Espella. How does that make sense if magic isn't real?

The bonus episodes that you download, address these issues. I mean, it's still horseshit - but at least they don't straight up ignore it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm curious:

Where did this game end up on everyone's GotY lists?

Number #3 for me, only behind DKC Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight (games unlike this one lol)

Tenck

I'm curious:

Number #3 for me, only behind DKC Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight (games unlike this one lol)

It's up there for me. Would have been GotY if it weren't for the later puzzles. They were ridiculously bad.

ohlawd

I'm curious:

no. 8

to reiterate the comment I put up for PL vs PW, it's the only good visual novel NA got this year.

ohlawd

I sincerely hope you're only talking about 3DS...

NA got Steins;Gate on PC, not to mention the Danganronpa series on Vita

nope, for all platforms

I own S;G but it's unopened :x

lol no fucking way @ DR. Straight garbage. Oh, I definitely opened and beat both 1 and 2 to completion. Awful.

nope, for all platforms

I own S;G but it's unopened :x

lol no fucking way @ DR. Straight garbage. Oh, I definitely opened and beat both 1 and 2 to completion. Awful.

I thought DR was pretty solid, but I can see how some people might not like it (which is why I listed it second).

As for S;G, if you're planning on leaving your PC copy sealed (Limited Edition?), I can highly recommend you play it on Vita this year so it has a chance of making your 2015 list. ;)

SalvaPot

Finished the game! My opinion? Awesome Ace Attorney game, good enough Professor Layton game.

Really, the Ace Attorney sections were Top Notch, only thing missing was the over the top breakdowns and more interviewing people at crime scenes, but that second one can be seen as a good thing since those could drag a little bit in the main game. The story was also something completely new for an AA game and the multiple witness mechanic is an amazing improvement for the series, I heard the new "The Great Ace Attorney" game is going to feature this and I´m excited for it.

For a Layton game, I have to say the puzzles were not that great. They really made them easy this time, I only needed hint coins for ONE of them, while in previous games I always had to use several to get through the game. I understand the game has to be made more accessible for fans of both series, but come oooooon. Also, the
¨Town is not what it seems¨
story line is nothing new for a Layton game, making a lot of the twists underwhelming and predictable.

But that said, the game is EXTREMELY ENJOYABLE. Amazing music, lovable characters, and a nice marriage between two of my most beloved franchises.

I´ll love to see a sequel for this later on, hopefully this game keeps on selling to justify it. Level 5 and Capcom please.

Top Bottom