• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Tenck

I was on the very last hour of the game and then Smash was released lol.

Long story short, Smash has devoured all my free time. Luckily for me, right before passing out on my bed, I felt my 2DS under my pillow. Booted up the game, and finished it before going to sleep.

What a game. I wont say I loved every part of it (Layton Puzzles were really lackluster from the very beginning), but I will say that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Though the ending had some odd stuff, you can't help but feel like it was all a great journey.

This to me is probably my GotY. Don't see it changing throughout the year.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so I finished this game Sunday night, and I'm really, really conflicted about it.

I was pretty bored for a sizable portion of the game which is pretty much unheard of for an Ace Attorney game (I've never played Layton) for me. The investigation/Layton sequences were the most dull parts for me. I didn't hate the Layton puzzles, but I was just really apathetic about them and uninterested in them. The actual investigating felt really dull because the game wasn't broken up into cases like the other AA games, so instead you were mostly just looking around Labyrinthia advancing the story. This was made even more dull by the fact that the world of Labyrinthia didn't captivate me one bit, and the story and overarching plot was uninteresting to me for the most part. The first two cases were dull and felt limited because they weren't attached to an investigation sequence. The third had moments of greatness and I liked it overall but it suffered from the same problem.

(spoilers for all of PLvAA and PW1)

But, that last case. Damn. The whole game up until might have been a complete setup just for that. I don't think I've been that surprised by a plot twist in the AA series since Von Karma was revealed to be the villain of the first game, and even then I'm tempted to say it's more surprising. The whole thing is just really well executed. The best thing about it is that, while I didn't care about the world of Labyrinthia, the game completely vindicates its setting through the last case and makes me like the world that PLvAA takes place in a lot more. I know some people might complain about plot holes, but honestly nothing really stood out to me while I was playing it which is all that really matters to me. It's not perfect, I feel like the writing was kinda sloppy in some parts, and I was more apathetic about the actions that the main characters take and the consequences that come of that than I would have been had I been invested and interested in them from the first place, and overall I don't think I really care for the cast of the game anyways. But this is still one of my favorite, if not my favorite case in the whole series.

Despite all that I think I'll say it's easily the worst Ace Attorney-related game and just merely "okay" at best on its own merits. The negatives just have way too much weight.

Chapter 3 kind of spoilers (not mega-spoilers, just something funny) - when Maya said
Zvarri!
to the pawnbroker I almost fell out of my chair.

FWIW, the above suggests that this game is taking place during Trials and Tribulations - earlier and she wouldn't say that, later and she most likely wouldn't be with Nick. But that's probably just a throwaway reference.

I just finished the game. My current AA ranking is now AA1 > AA3 > AAI2 > AA2 > PL vs AA > AA5 > AA4 > AAI.

While the ending of the game got a little crazy and non sensical with it's share of problems (I won't go into it most people have explained the problems in this thread and the spoiler thread), the journey was well worth it. Even though I wanted the puzzles to end fast I really enjoyed the cross over aspect. I ended up liking Layton and Luke (even if the seem extremely one dimensional.) I think they worked off of the AA cast pretty well. There where a lot of twists and turns and I was always excited to where it was going to go next.

The music was varied and fantastic. A true AA staple. Some great remixes from both games and some great new tracks. It really help set the mood and the time place.

I think most of all though I really enjoyed the mythical element and background and putting our favorite characters in a out of world environment. It made the game fun. I generally liked the world it created, it's characters and even the story for the most part. I think the game world shines just as bright as the AA and Layton characters do.

So all in all despite some ending issues I still feel really good about this game. It's totally worth a playthrough and in the end I feel satisfied and even though it's a cross over it feels like I played something really original.

I have never played an Ace Attorney game or a Professor Layton game. Would you guys suggest this as a good introduction to both series? Would I even understand whats going on?

tuffy

I have never played an Ace Attorney game or a Professor Layton game. Would you guys suggest this as a good introduction to both series? Would I even understand whats going on?
The game is pretty much all side-story and doesn't require knowing any backstory to get started. It may not be the perfect introduction to the trials or puzzle segments, but there's enough tutorials and exposition to keep even a newcomer from getting lost.

I think it would be an okay introduction if you keep in mind that it's not a paragon of the best of either series. It's a good game but the individual PW/PL games tend to reach greater heights.

Tenck

I think it would be an okay introduction if you keep in mind that it's not a paragon of the best of either series. It's a good game but the individual PW/PL games tend to reach greater heights.

I second this. It's not the best representation of either series. Luckily if you want to get into the Ace Attorney series, the whole collection is out before the end of the year.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Got stuck on the first court sequence, I knew what I had to present, I didn't realize that you could actually present spells from the Grand Grimoire -.- dunno why you can't just present the staff AND THEN explain which spell was used -.-.-.-.-

Jedi2016

I'm not finished with it yet, but it's definitely made me want to get more Layton games. I'm enjoying those sections a lot more than I am the Ace Attorney stuff. I'm finding those frustrating not necessarily because I don't know what to do next, but because I do... I figure something out before the game says I should, so I present something out of the order that the game specifies (trying to rush to the big reveal), and I get hit for it. I do plan to finish it, as I'm really enjoying the story and there's a lot of questions I want to see the answers to.

It's also messing me up because I really want to play it on the New 3DS, but that's a ways away. I may end up putting the game on hiatus for a bit just so I can come back to it on the bigger screen later (I'm running OG 3DS right now, I want to get the N3DS XL later).

Honestly this game really feels like it was designed to help fans of one series who may or may not have played the other to get a taste to want to play more of the games from that series. Honestly it's a pretty good starting spot if you've never played either as you'll get a taste for how each game works in a basic gameplay and pacing sense.

Conezays

So I decided to wait till I finished Miracle before getting this game, and I finally did!

About an hour in, already finding the graphics/3D much improved over Miracle Mask. Hoping the game is good; liking the fantastical Witch-related plot so far for a Layton game.

JeTmAn81

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Got stuck on the first court sequence, I knew what I had to present, I didn't realize that you could actually present spells from the Grand Grimoire -.- dunno why you can't just present the staff AND THEN explain which spell was used -.-.-.-.-

I didn't find the logical processes of that case to be intuitive at all. It was a pretty dissatisfying experience, especially compared to the average court case in the main AA games. I kept having to use hints and experienced quite a few Guilty verdicts because the required reasoning just didn't make any sense to me.

kunonabi

AA ranking for me AA1 > PL vs AA > AA5 > AA4 > AA2 > AA3 > AAI.

Really enjoyed PL vs AA and I'm back to anticipating another AA entry. I started to lose interest since I didn't really like 2-4 that much and I hated AAI but AA5 and this really won me over. I must say I had forgotten how much fun Maya and Phoenix were together.

jblank83

I just started the game last night. The feels from all the art style mixing, the proper treatment of both sets of characters, how quality the actual gameplay is. I'm very excited to play this.

Was worried it would be a poor cousin of both Layton and Phoenix. Instead it looks properly good.

My only complaint so far is the VA change for Luke (Layton's Apprentice).

me0wish

I loved this game A LOT, it made me laugh, tear and feel emotionally attached to it, and it's very rare for a game to trigger my emotions.

IMO, I think it's the best of both series mashed up together to form this epic journey, what a game.

For those who never played either series, I highly recommend this.

Feep

Banned
I'm just now playing this...first came Dangan Ronpa 2, then Smash...but what a charming little game so far. Not far, just ran into the Grim Grimoire.

It just...puts a smile on my face. = D

Zakard

I think the ending is alright.
Typical Layton-ending I would say. But does anyone think that the ending took something away from the story of Jean Greyerl?

The ending felt like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Extended Edition. With bonus footage.

When you put it like that the extra episodes you download are like special features mixed with dabbles of directors commentary, deleted scenes and an extended epilogue.

AlexMogil

When you put it like that the extra episodes you download are like special features mixed with dabbles of directors commentary, deleted scenes and an extended epilogue.

I don't mind those... I just started them and they are a little goofy and self aware but that's what they are supposed to do. The main story ending though.... I expected to see Espella's mom parachute in with a puppy and a lottery ticket.

I repeated to myself during the game, even said it out loud that this was one of the most fun games I've played because it take my favorite characters and plays them off each other. Both series are so endearing and precious. And I know the Layton games' endings are a little stilted.

So I finished the 10th "DLC" bonus episode the other day... isn't that supposed to be the last one? It kinda confused me how it still ended with the "To be continued" screen anyways, despite that...

Conezays

So I finished the 10th "DLC" bonus episode the other day... isn't that supposed to be the last one? It kinda confused me how it still ended with the "To be continued" screen anyways, despite that...

I'm 8 hours in...no spoilers please, but there's 10+ DLC episodes out/coming out for the game?

Worth playing?

Oh hey, music box version of Turnabout Sisters. Nice touch.

I'm finally in the final trial (Dangaronpa 2 got all my focus for a bit, and then it took me a while to return to this game), so I've been avoiding this thread.

But I have to say, that playing with what was going on at the time actually gave me a bit of pause.

Hyunkel6

I'm getting the game in ~3 hours right after work. So hyped! I'm a huge fan of the AA series, and finished all of them. I played most of the Layton games but never finished one. I love the Layton's settings and soundtrack though. Can't wait!!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm getting the game in ~3 hours right after work. So hyped! I'm a huge fan of the AA series, and finished all of them. I played most of the Layton games but never finished one. I love the Layton's settings and soundtrack though. Can't wait!!

You're going to have fun then. The puzzles almost feel like an afterthought, really the game is an excuse to set a Phoenix Wright game in Layton's insane universe

PSA: it looks like the last of the unlockable content was released today for the N.A. version. If you've been waiting to watch the bonus episodes, now's the time.

PSA: it looks like the last of the unlockable content was released today for the N.A. version. If you've been waiting to watch the bonus episodes, now's the time.

I'd like the add that the bonus episodes are a blast.

Spoilers just in case:
I'm not finished with them yet, but I'm really enjoying how loose everyone is, especially with all the fourth-wall breaking.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just finished the game today. I really hope there will be a sequel to it. I love the interaction between the 2 sides of the characters.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to go through those sometime soon.

It's 12 episodes actually.
Ah okay, so now it looks like we're through with them...
The last one was called "Epilogue" after all...

Also, it seemed like the last one was hinting at a possible sequel with all the talk of "Hey we might cross ways again" and "See you next time!" and stuff... thoughts on how likely this is? They did also talk about how there were struggles between the two halves of the staff, so idk if it would really be possible again...

Nyoro SF

Finished the game a few days ago. Fairly disappointed, especially with how Phoenix and Professor Layton were coordinated. The ending was also very unsatisfactory.

Conezays

Just finished the game myself. Overall, enjoyed it quite a bit, despite fairly ridiculous ending.

So are the episodes worth going through/how long are they? Wondering if they're worth going through, or jumping into Azran Legacy first :p

Edit: Didn't realise how short these were (1 puzzle per episode so far), makes my question kind of pointless.

Wesker28

I just finished the game. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed about this game. The ending was too ridiculous, and it actually caused some serious plot holes. And yeah..sometime it feels like the story has been written by two different writers. One of them wanted the story to be so dramatic, and the other one wanted a very happy story. Am I the only one who feels like this? SPOILER:
For example, the storyteller is having a "rare disease with no known cure"... a second later, his team found the cure..... what?
Overall, I enjoyed the game, especially in chapter 4. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and the presentation is top notch. But as I said earlier, the ending was very disappointing, and it actually ruined my experience. In my opinion, this is easily the worst AA game, but it's still enjoyable.

Probably half way through now. It figures that right after the most emotional part of the game, they tip their hand too much and kill a lot of the tension. That's very Layton.

Still enjoying it though.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, these extra DLC episodes are terrific in the strangest way.

Episode 3:
Eve's
story about starring in her own game, available as a download only title with very reasonable pricing? "Professor who?" "Phoenix what?"
Just great.

Finished. The last trial was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. And the ending was... an ending alright. o_O

Still liked it despite some rough spots, but still like pure AA and Layton way more. (Barnham was awesome though.)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DAMN. WHAT THE HELL.

Chapter 4 (Second witch court trial) Spoilers
I was seriously disturbed that freakin' Maya just got burned up alive!! What the hell kinda game is this? Seriously. I can't believe they would allow one of the "main" characters to meet such a gruesome death... That is seriously fucked up. And then at the start of the next chapter Phoenix and the crew is all trying to act like, "It's okay guys. We'll get over it." SERIOUSLY.

Now I understand that this is a VIDEO GAME. And I'm certain that Maya is going to be alive through some course of magic or time travel or some other VIDEO GAME/COMIC BOOK horseshit to bring back "dead' characters. But ddddamn, that freaking cutscene was one of the most "WOAH, WTF" moments I've had in gaming in a real long time!

Curious, to see how this plays out.

tuffy

DAMN. WHAT THE HELL.

Chapter 4 (Second witch court trial) Spoilers

Curious, to see how this plays out.
That's the part where my skepticism kicked into high gear and I became certain that
the witches sent down into the inferno weren't being killed after all.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That's the part where my skepticism kicked into high gear and I became certain that
the witches sent down into the inferno weren't being killed after all.

Right, right... I understand that I'm playing a video game and that they never make it appear as it seems Still, DAT CUTSCENE. Ugh, I play this game before bed... That was not a cutscene to go to sleep on after watching lol!

Smellycat

I finally had time to play this game, after not being able to due to school. I just beat is today, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It is a great representation of both series. I didn't expect the story to go in the direction that it did in the final trial, and it seemed way too far fetched. lol I honestly thought that
Bazella was real. I didn't think it was Darklaw or Espella. For a while I thought it was Eve, the cat!!!
I was like, there is no way they are pulling a
Ghost Trick lol
(Spoiler for another unrelated game)

BTW, if we don't get a sequel to this game, this maybe the last Prof Layton game starring Layton (If Level 5 actually sticks to what they said)

Tizoc

The following are stuff that never made it to the game so they shouldn't count as spoilers.
Source: http://coorelightgrey.tumblr.com/post/105837731369
AMong them was the idea of having a 'Dark Layton' and 'Dark Phoenix' that were their other world counterparts
tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro2_1280.jpg

Larry and Edgeworth were considered to be part of the game but that got scrapped, here's what they would've looked like
tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro3_1280.jpg

Early Barnham prototype?
tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro4_1280.jpg

An NPC that never made it to the game, rather cool design though
tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro5_1280.jpg

Top Bottom