• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Draxal

That might have been the dumbest final plot twist I've ever seen in any sort of story. Man.

Iunno, it was dumb but it fits the premise of the universe in that both universes are dumb and inherently silly.

MGS2 and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy still take the cake for me.

MrBadger

C'mon the stuff at the end of Layton 6 was way worse. Some of the most amateur heavy-handed and pointlessly contrived character drama ever.

Hmm...
both endings are plagued with completely different issues. Azran Legacy tries to force in way too many last minute plot twists that should have been slowly introduced sooner, but Layton VS Wright's ending just flat out doesn't work. While Layton VS Wright is over all the better game, I think it has the worse ending.

Totakeke

I don't think any game where it claims everyone you interacted with were robots qualifies as a twist that makes sense.

kurahador

I don't think any game where it claims everyone you interacted with were robots qualifies as a twist that makes sense.

Well...Layton 1 mystery comes down to
why does everyone here acting weird? and why do they likes puzzle so much?
So...
being a robot, we can assume that all of them are programmed that way.

I thought that makes sense to me. I mean seriously, try compare that to Layton 2.
Now that was ridiculous.

Maya sounds too mature to me.

It's a nice voice, it just doesn't fit her.

I greatly disagree. Maya is a charasmatic character with a bit of light humor but still has a serious side. I'm glad it's not an exaggerated high pitched voice but one more suited for a woman in her mid twenties who is moving from one stage of her life into the next. It's the best full voice character in a AA game yet. Although nothing beats the classic Wright/Edgeworth Objection!

Wait wait wait

You get picrats based upon how well you do during the trial segments? I always make sure to have a perfect score at the end of every Layton game and I have a save in the middle of the trial after having a misclick >:[ NOOOOOOOOOOOO

*resets game*

Picarats don't unlock anything. I relaxed once I learned that.

Layton games usually have big, silly endings ]but the issue here is that it didn't feel planned and it felt like they made up the ending halfway through so they made up an excuse for every death and magic spell which still didn't explain everything, like Layton's intro segment and the wall portals in chapter 4. With Layton, the big, stupid twist usually feels intentional and doesn't leave you asking more questions than it answered.

So I agree.
This is the worst ending and really not "typical Layton" like everyone says it is.
Great game besides that though.

One comes to mind but I'll spoiler tag it.
Miracle Mask. The big mystery is who the man in the mask is and the resolution doesn't involve a big coverup, a fake city or a giant manatee.

Regarding the
wall portals. I'm having lots of fun imagining Shades running around with sledgehammers and drywall at all times,
hahah.

When I said it feels like typical Layton though, I meant because
fake city. But I've only played the first three, so not sure if they stopped doing that in the new trilogy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Picarats don't unlock anything. I relaxed once I learned that.

Ooo? They don't get used for anything at all?

Good to know, so I can just go through the puzzles with reckless abandon then, hahaha.

Just finished my 1st trial with Phoenix x Maya. HUGE SMILE ALL OVER MY FACE during the entire segment, especially with Maya around--really missed that girl <3

Kind of bummed out to be transported back to Layton + Luke, but good to know about those piccarats.

Durden77

Just finished it. Um....wow. i'll come back with more detailed thoughts, but....wow.

One thing I will say though is...

Facing Layton in the courtroom was actually really, really cool. Like to the point to where I wish he'd become a prosecutor and show up in the actual AA games lol. Seeing him flex his brain similar to someone like Edgeworth was awesome. He just looked right over there.

Swamped

Banned
I literally just finished the game, reading the credits now. What a fun, engrossing, amazing game! Can't wait to head over to the spoiler topic and talk about it in more detail.

Teppic

A bit late to this, didn't even know it was out in Europe. Had to get it because I'm a big Phoenix Wright fan. The puzzles are okay, but it's not something I would buy this game for. Cleared the first trial, and while the voice work is uneven and Phoenix looks like a dork, it was a lot of fun just playing something new with Phoenix and Maya. It was a bit easy, but I'm not docking any points because it was the first trial.

How many trials does the game have?

So I just beat the game and got into the post-game content... you know how
a save file that has beaten the game lets you start from one of two points: either the underground altar, or the final trial
? Well, apparently
if you continue and then save over that slot again and then quit, it no longer presents you with the two options again if you try to load it again
... Does this mean
you have to just beat it again to get those two options again, or is there a simpler way
?

Swamped

Banned
Play the dlc episodes too. Just a silly and fun story.

Absolutely! I've played through the first two, apparently there are 12, right?
Really looking forward to it, I want the gang to talk to Barnham in a non-tense environment.

Edit: just added spoiler tags in case.

So I finally beat it today.

Totally called Darklaw being Belduke's daughter, but the ending was pretty cute. The credits made me smile.

It was disappointing with the whole twist being that the town is a research project, but I'm glad at least that there was a lot of backstory behind the witch trials and Bezella. It shocked me though that the Legendary fire was actually real, considering the fake out that they did earlier with burning the witches.

I'm also pretty bummed that they never explained the Godoor spell? Or, for that matter, why the shades were all pale, and why they could see all the machinery? Was it just because they changed the terms of their hypnosis?

I enjoyed the game a lot though. I'd definitely be up for another cross-over.

Dice//

Banned
Well...Layton 1 mystery comes down to
why does everyone here acting weird? and why do they likes puzzle so much?
So...
being a robot, we can assume that all of them are programmed that way.

I thought that makes sense to me. I mean seriously, try compare that to Layton 2.
Now that was ridiculous.

The third game also goes pretty crazy.
The emotional zinger nicely distracts from the fact the game is trying to sell that some rich scientist made a "futuristic London" under the real London. Nobody caught on.... That's... a really crazy plan

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but would I be fine playing this despite only playing up to Justice for All and only playing the first Layton game?
No spoils or anything?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but would I be fine playing this despite only playing up to Justice for All and only playing the first Layton game?
No spoils or anything?

Yep you're fine. It just makes references to both series, there's no need to have played them all.

You'll miss a few Trials and Tribulations references but nothing that spoils the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Loving the game, but holy shit, could Espella be more of a cliche japanese game female plot device character? Complete with her vague sadness from living life isolated from other people without friends that results in her daintily st-stammering all of the t-time and using...ellipses because she doesn't...know what to say. And of course she doesn't smile very often, but when Luke and Maya are up to antics and she blushes and goes "hee hee" its just so goddamn "endearing"

Tenck

The weakest part of the game so far is the puzzles. I'm used to so much better from the layton series, that this feels like a slap to the face.

>get to puzzle
>take 30 minute break before I come back

I'm pretty much rushing to get to the cross examinations.

Tizoc

Raise your hand if this is your GotY contender
tumblr_nbk9gue9lx1rxkezdo2_500.gif

artenight

Banned
The weakest part of the game so far is the puzzles. I'm used to so much better from the layton series, that this feels like a slap to the face.

>get to puzzle
>take 30 minute break before I come back

I'm pretty much rushing to get to the cross examinations.

Yeah, it's totally a shame that is the worst layton game and the worst ace attorney game.

I never saw puzzles so dull and uninspired in the series.

The Technomancer

The puzzles aren't great, but I think they also suffer a bit alongside the more involved Ace Attorney bits

Speaking of which, someone a few posts up called this the worst Ace Attorney game? I'm having a lot more fun with these trials than I did with most of Apollo Justice

The puzzles aren't great, but I think they also suffer a bit alongside the more involved Ace Attorney bits

Speaking of which, someone a few posts up called this the worst Ace Attorney game? I'm having a lot more fun with these trials than I did with most of Apollo Justice

I agree 100%. AJ was a disappointment, to put it lightly.

Tenck

I never quite understood the hate for Apollo Justice, but I've always been forgiving on every game I've ever played (except Skyrim, think that's one of the only games I legitimately hate).

Now comparing this to AJ, I think this game wins.

I never quite understood the hate for Apollo Justice, but I've always been forgiving on every game I've ever played (except Skyrim, think that's one of the only games I legitimately hate).

The trials in AJ were fine, but I just felt the the story itself and the characters were weak* compared to the glory that is Trials and Tribulations.

It's why I like this one more; the story is actually engrossing and well-done. I mean, sure. The final twist could have been better, but the rest of it is superb.

*Except for Ema, because she's awesome. Pls bring her back.

Now I remember why I dropped the first Layton game after like 2 hours. Never been a fan of these puzzles.

Ah well, got to the first
witch trial
, so should be fun now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy fuck.

The opening
of the 2nd trial AND the closing.

Very grimdark O_______________________________________O

It's shocking that they actually let us
see the witches getting dropped to boiling fire. I mean, at the closing, she did kill people
but... man...... Surprisingly dark.

Dice//

Banned

That game floored by with how impressive it looked. I like 3D just fine; but the hand drawn approach has some real charm behind it.

I liked it too and enjoyed Apollo's character, Trucy, and Phoenix as this washed-up father figure. Plus the "perceive" thing was a great gimmick (certainly better than Athena's emotional "psychology").

Klavier_Air_Guitar_8.gif

finished~
I enjoy it more than I thought, better than Dual Destiny. What I would not give to have Emeer as a cameo witness in the future.

Bought this last night.

Haven't played an AA since Apollo Justice and haven't played a Layton game since the first one.

Hope I enjoy it...

The Technomancer

Oh wow, they really went full Layton at the end didn't they? But you know, I wouldn't have it any other way

And while the puzzles were kind of weak, I have to say that the Layton style winding, labyrinthine bizarre plot worked really well as a framework for the Ace Attorney gameplay. That's honestly the best combination to come out of this, juxtaposing that gameplay style with the escalating reveals of the increasingly insane plot contrivances.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My favorite moment is the last court trial when
Maya is wearing the helmet and lab coat to hide herself. Then when it gets to the point of the story where she puts on the invisibility robe, she had this ridiculous pose in game hahaha. She was all "ta-daaaaa" like a dumbass lol.

Top Bottom