• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

zroid

Banned
iq1ckciE7kgxD.png

(banner swiped from the EU OT, thanks Sadist)

Genre: puzzle/adventure
Developers: Level-5 and Capcom
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: 3DS retail and eShop
Players: 1
Release Date: August 29th, 2014 (NA); Time Immemorial (elsewhere)
MSRP: $29.99 USD; $34.99 CAD

Official Site: http://laytonvsphoenixwright.nintendo.com/

Box art:

ib1HMJjxbLmUmp.jpg

Nintendo.com description:

Ace Attorney and Ace Investigator Join Forces!

Two of gaming's biggest sleuths team up to solve the most puzzling mystery they have ever encountered. For the first time ever, the mind-bending puzzles of the Professor Layton series meet the courtroom drama of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

FEATURES:

• Follow Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright as they are transported from London to the mystical city of Labyrinthia, where they must help Espella Cantabella, a girl accused of being a witch.

• Two different game-play styles work together in unexpected ways. Solve puzzles familiar to fans of the Professor Layton series in Adventure mode to move the story forward, and then cross-examine witnesses as Phoenix Wright in Trial mode.

• Phoenix Wright must be on his toes for group cross-examinations. Pit one person's testimony against another's to get the story straight, and then literally rewrite history alongside the city's greatest puzzle-solving duo.

• Listen to the gorgeous musical score by the original composers from both series, combining the vivid sounds of Professor Layton with the dramatic themes of the Phoenix Wright games.​

ibnwhusb17XKxJ.png

Screenshots:

ix6Tqq9x3gbvw.png
izQnpcCyRwiS.png

ivmdWFTKulWC5.png
ilTpZ8qfKLu5t.png

Links:

Iwata Asks with Shu Takumi and Akihiro Hino

Review thread for EU release

EU Official Thread

Get:

Hype

Nyoro SF

Took long enough, Capcom.

Only complaint I heard from this game is that it's ridiculously easy. Which is not that big of a deal.

watershed

Banned
Woah, I didn't realize this game was $30! I will have to seriously consider picking this up, though the last few Layton games left me disappointed.

Frolow

Banned
Got the game preordered, not entirely sure what to expect since I've never played a Layton game before.

zroid

Banned
Got the game preordered, not entirely sure what to expect since I've never played a Layton game before.

Opposite for me, lol. Never played an AA game before.

Looking forward to it. After this, I'll probably grab AA trilogy whenever it's out.

Puzzles. Math puzzle, sliding block puzzles, logic puzzles, pretty much any type if puzzle you can think of, plus a fun mystery plot. All layton games are pretty fun.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Opposite for me, lol. Never played an AA game before.

Looking forward to it. After this, I'll probably grab AA trilogy whenever it's out.

Definitely get on that.

I've got this preordered and am really looking forward to it.

Didn't like it, I thought it was slow and boring. Layton puzzles are all about ability now, and the AA part didn't keep me interested. Maybe one day I'll complete it and change my idea.
Definitely not for anti-Layton people, considering he is the fucking hero everytime... you won't believe it but the game makes Phoenix look like the dumbest dumb ever and Layton like a bastard who knows solutions but just shuts up.

Should I use a guide to blast through the Layton garbage and get to the good stuff, or is it tolerable for a non-fan?
The Layton parts serve the same role as the typical Ace Attorney character and world building parts we normally would have between trials.The only big difference is that now you have some puzzles mixed in. The gameplay styles complement each other surprisingly well. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

...the game makes Phoenix look like the dumbest dumb ever and Layton like a bastard who knows solutions but just shuts up.
It's small, but this was one of my issues with it as well. I'm OK with Layton being patronising to Luke, because I imaged he had a "you need to figure it out for yourself, being my apprentice" vibe going on. It doesn't really work as well when he does the same thing to the Ace Attorney crew, as it makes him kind of a jerk.

The Layton parts serve the same role as the typical Ace Attorney character and world building parts we normally would have between trials.The only big difference is that now you have some puzzles mixed in. The gameplay styles complement each other surprisingly well. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Is it more lateral thinking puzzles or stuff like count all the triangles in this big triangle?

I'm curious what you mean by this. (I haven't played the more recent Layton games.) Would you mind clarifying?
Since the first game, logic and math puzzles begun to fade away in favor of more trial&error puzzles (exit from a labyrinth, move the block). And many puzzles feel reused.

KxoZz

awesome game, left me a bit disappointed though. Better than recent Layton games, not as good as DD imo but still very worth playing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Please tell me they redubbed Luke with the usual US actor. I'm English and I can't stand the UK voice.

Pikma

Banned
Gonna pick it up next time I'm on a shopping spree, along with Yoshi's New Island and Tomodachi. Not sure when though, since right now I'm broke

Aswell

Enjoy the game, NA!
I found the Layton puzzles easier in this game than in "canon" Layton games. This game is thus a good way to be introduced to the Layton series if you don't know it already.

Arclaid

Enjoy the game, NA!
I found the Layton puzzles easier in this game than in "canon" Layton games. This game is thus a good way to be introduced to the Layton series if you don't know it already.

Yep. I personally found the trial segments to be more difficult than Dual Destinies as well.

VegiHam

This game is fantastic but I can't shake the feeling a lot of reactions will be AA fans disappointed by the Layton stuff. Try to keep an open mind guys and if you remember who's name comes first in the title you should have a great time.

This game is fantastic but I can't shake the feeling a lot of reactions will be AA fans disappointed by the Layton stuff. Try to keep an open mind guys and if you remember who's name comes first in the title you should have a great time.

I liked the adventury-bits with puzzles more than your typical AA crime investigation stuff tbh.

Awesome game and it is harder than Dual Destinies.

Yep. I personally found the trial segments to be more difficult than Dual Destinies as well.
I found them more confusing, not harder honestly. There were some good ideas but executed in a slow/wrong way. The typical "I know the answer but not how to show it" of the AA series is at its worst in this.

Can't wait!!!!!! Just finished playing Ghost Trick yesterday.
I'm ready for more Shu Takumi goodness.
Even though I haven't finished the game, it really felt like Takumi wasn't even involved in this.

Between this and Danganronpa 2 coming out within a week of each other, I'm hyped beyond belief.

My copy should arrive tomorrow, I can't wait.

Asbear

Banned

I'd probably say AA has a bigger "core" fan base while Layton hit a bigger mainstream audience, which is why it seems it's mostly just AA fans who are hyping it up. I think mostly everyone who don't play either franchises will be disappointed. The game is pure magic if you've played both series however.

Better than Azran/miracle mask, and better than Dual Destinies/Investigations IMO.

Funnier than any game Takeshi Yamazaki will ever write!

Dudes, Takumi was all over this game, how can you not sense that in the trial segments at least? I think NoE's localization is a little subpar though. Voice acting blew me away though, especially the Storyteller.

Mendrox

Reminds me of the awesome trails which had late gamer SPOILER
10? witnesses lol that was too much but awesome
I also like the new trial system which is in this game... way better than in the other Phoenix Wright games. :)

VegiHam

I liked the adventury-bits with puzzles more than your typical AA crime investigation stuff tbh.

Awesome game and it is harder than Dual Destinies.
Yeah, it's an AA game where the dull bit has been replaced with a Layton game. That's amazing.
I'd probably say AA has a bigger "core" fan base while Layton hit a bigger mainstream audience, which is why it seems it's mostly just AS fans who are hyping it up. I think mostly everyone who don't play either franchises will be disappointed. The game is pure magic if you've played both series however.

Better than Azran/miracle mask, and better than Dual Destinies/Investigations IMO.

Funnier than any game Takeshi Yamazaki will ever write!
Yep. This game was really designed for people who already love both; so for me it was amazing.

MrBadger

I still think it's crazy that I finished this ages ago and it's only just being released in NA. I found this game to be at least on par with Dual Destinies, if not better.

To me, the Layton sections just felt like Ace Attorney investigations (the gameplay style not the spinoff), only with puzzles thrown in. The puzzles in general were easier in general than standard Layton puzzles so I can't see anyone getting too thrown off by them. Of course, maybe I'm biased because I'm a big fan of both franchises.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, didn't know this was being released tomorrow. This will be my first Layton game, and hopefully I'll like it enough that it will make me want to try the rest of the franchise.

And I also avoided playing my copy of AA5 so I could play this crossover first, so that's more AA goodness right after I'm done with this.

Top Bottom