• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

mrmickfran

He said "decent" not "subpar"

try replaying DD right after playing the original or T&T and you'll open up your eyes.

Trials & Tribulations is the best game in the series, I'll agree to that. But the way FlyingSaucer worded it was as if DD wasn't a good game.

For me it's:
3 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 2

DD did have arguably better 3D models.

Which is the one reason why I'm skeptical about buying this :mad:

ohlawd

I love AA1 and 3 more than DD but damn dude, replaying 1 is impossible. I'll take replaying DD over that.

AA1's 5th case is the best though. I can always replay that one no problem.

Opposite for me, lol. Never played an AA game before.

Looking forward to it. After this, I'll probably grab AA trilogy whenever it's out.

This is me. I'll probably grab this after I finish the Layton game I'm on. My girlfriend and I love these games and usually play them together, so I can't pass up more Layton. I'd love if this got me hooked on a new fun franchise.

Frolow

Banned
Trials & Tribulations is the best game in the series, I'll agree to that. But the way FlyingSaucer worded it was as if DD wasn't a good game.

For me it's:
3 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 2

Which is the one reason why I'm skeptical about buying this :mad:

AA3 > AAI2 = AA1 = AA5 > AA4 > AA2 > AAI in my opinion. They're damn good games in the end.

Cody_D165

Banned
Mine shipped early this morning. Looking forward to diving in! Love me some Layton and Ace Attorney, so this should be great.

maxcriden

Ok, entered the #objection contest:

BwJ34P5IMAEpAV6.jpg

Tenck

Checked my account today and saw I had $6. Was freaking out and then I checked Amazon. All is right in this world. Can't wait till tomorrow!

Kazerei

Banned
I'm a huge fan of both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney, so this is a dream crossover for me. It's fiiiiinally coming to North America! Whee!

To think it's now the NA release and they still haven't finished dishing out all the downloadable extra content for PAL copies, which at least gives me a good reason to boot it back up every now and then.

I'll be intrigued to see the reaction to this from more people, I really enjoyed it though that's as both an Ace Attorney and Layton fan.
Soundtrack is stellar by the way, some great new themes and remixes from both series as well.

Ok, entered the #objection contest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwJ34P5IMAEpAV6.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I want to say that you're objecting to the mystery mess your cat left on the floor.

So just wondering when does this game take place in the respective Layton and AA universe?

Or does it just not fit anywhere and does it own thing independent of either series.

Bardiche

Phoenix Wright ranking:

3 > 1 > 4 > AAI > 5 > 2

I didn't play AAI2 but I heard it's one of the best.
I felt that Trials and Tribulations was one of the few Phoenix Wright games that was able to tie all of the cases into one cohesive game. It was amazing how you learn about
Dahlia when playing as Mia back in the past, and then you go against her as Phoenix.
Dual Destinies was too easy, and I didn't really care for the Mood Matrix mechanics.

My order hasn't shipped yet but I'm looking forward to this. I don't care for Professor Layton so hopefully his parts don't ruin the game for me.

GSR

So just wondering when does this game take place in the respective Layton and AA universe?

Or does it just not fit anywhere and does it own thing independent of either series.

The game's largely standalone, but there's a few references here and there that suggest it takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future on Layton's side and late in or just after Trials and Tribulations on Phoenix's.

Jawmuncher

Should get my copy by tuesday.
Getting it for AA. Have never been a big Layton fan so I was glad to hear that it was a stronger AA game more than anything. Still love the idea of this crossover though.

Funny Story I remember when it got first announced and I went to gamestop asking to preorder.
No one knew WTH I was talking about.

I guess this game doesn't really warrant its own Direct, but there hasn't been a general Nintendo Direct in a long time I would probably have forgotten the game was releasing this week if I wasn't anticipating it so much.

I'd better add some money to my eShop account. I really should have stocked up more when Best Buy was doing the 20% off deal.

Yeah, the game's "coming soon" page is on the front of the eShop now and it's listed at $29.99.

And it says "Download it here at midnight" in a banner so they're definitely doing the midnight EDT thing again. Just an hour and a half...

zroid

Banned
This should be live on the eShop any minute now... happy downloading!

My copy shipped, hopefully I get it tomorrow

watershed

Banned
Can't wait to download but I feel like this game is going to be a lesson in timely release. I feel like this game has lost all hype because of the disjointed release dates.

It's up! I'm downloading it right now. Just in time for the three day weekend. I think I'm just going to binge on this game and not get any of the stuff I'm supposed to be doing done.

GamerJM

Banned
My series ranking is 1>3>5>4>AAI2>=AAI>2

For the record I'd put 999 in between 1 and 3, VLR in between 3 and 5, and DanganRonpa in between 4 and AAI2. I also played AAI2 in Japanese which isn't a language I would consider myself fluent in.

My copy should be coming in tomorrow. Super hyped!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think I need a hard copy of this. Time to scour local stores. I managed to get an off the shelf copy of Bravely Default at a super sketchy K-Mart once, maybe they'll have this too

As someone who has an unhealthy obsession with this series, allow me to toss in my two cents on the (main) series rankings.
AA3 > AA1 > AA5 > AA4 > AA2
As for why I place Apollo Justice over Justice for All, it's because I really liked the addition of Apollo and Trucy as characters and I actually enjoyed the possibilities opened up by the disbarment story... With that said, I still consider the final case in Justice for All to be one of the greatest in the series.

daydream

Banned
Still haven't finished this for some reason, hmm..

I didn't want my NA bros to get jealous. Yeah, that's why! Now we can enjoy it together, haha.

(also, AA4 is best, dealwithit.gif, abandonthread.gif, etc. etc.)

ohlawd

k I need to throw in my ranking too.

I said earlier in the thread I liked 1 more than DD but in the AAI2 thread months ago, I put DD over 1. Need to do an end-all ranking so I can always refer to it instead of beating up my brain cells just because I can't remember something so simple.

3 > 5 > 1 > AAI2 > 4 > 2 > AAI

And for the sake of completeness

3 = 999 > 5 > 1 > AAI2 > 4 > 2 = VLR > AAI > DR1

Ventara

Wooo, I got my shipped email from Best Buy, which means I'll get it tomorrow, and I have a 4 day weekend right after. It's gonna be good!

Oh, and AA1>AA3>AA5>AAI>AA4=AA2. Still need to get myself a copy of AAI2 with the english patch.

Edit: Oh, and since Zero Escape and Danganronpa were brought up, AA1>AA3>AA5>VLR>AAI=999>AA4=AA2>Danganronpa. I enjoyed all, btw.

Top Bottom