• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Frost_Ace

This game has some issues but it's well worth playing, enjoy it AmeriGAF :]

EDIT: I have still to finish the downloadable episodes.

Arclaid

I found them more confusing, not harder honestly. There were some good ideas but executed in a slow/wrong way. The typical "I know the answer but not how to show it" of the AA series is at its worst in this.

I admittedly didn't enjoy the final trial all that much, but I didn't find the other trials to be particularly confusing in their execution
no pun intended
. And in regards to the "I know the answer but not how to show it" nature of the trials, I thought Dual Destinies was worse in that aspect.

Reminds me of the awesome trails which had late gamer SPOILER
10? witnesses lol that was too much but awesome
I also like the new trial system which is in this game... way better than in the other Phoenix Wright games. :)

Group cross-examinations were a great addition. It's a shame we'll probably never see it again.

First decent Ace Attorney game in years. Enjoy, America.

Ouch, man.
I didn't enjoy DD much either.

Arclaid

Didn't know this game has DLC. How many of them are there?
And how much?

DLC is free. It's also nothing substantial. A bunch of weekly mini episodes and an art gallery (12 mini eps and 12 gallery entries). The mini episodes themselves are just conversations between the characters with a puzzle.

We are the only sane people in a world of gamers blinded by the glory that were the first AA games ! :D

We've gotta stick together in this crazy world, my friend. :p

Tizoc

It's not really a spoiler but I tag it for some people's sake
Darklaw is dat hotness and I will Court Trial anyone who disagrees

Arclaid

It's not really a spoiler but I tag it for some people's sake
Darklaw is dat hotness and I will Court Trial anyone who disagrees

Don't know why I'm spoiler tagging this, but
surely you meant Witch Trial. Any disagreement should automatically mean death by fire.

I did prefer Barnham, though.

zroid

Banned
Only semi-related, but apparently AA Dual Destinies is on sale starting today. Don't know what the price will be, but my guess is $20.

JeTmAn81

I've been waiting for this! I'm a big fan of both franchises. I just cancelled my Amazon order since I didn't want to wait for it to ship. I thought that $30 price they gave me was a discount, but since that's the retail price I'll just go pick it up from Gamestop or wherever.

Baust

I'm excited!

I know next to nothing about the game, so I'll be going in completely blind.

Played every Ace Attorney and only the first Layton.

Tizoc

I'm excited!

I know next to nothing about the game, so I'll be going in completely blind.

Played every Ace Attorney and only the first Layton.

That's actually enough, since any Later Layton game references won't affect the enjoyment of the game...since the references don't have much of an impact on the story IIRC.

GotY. Took all the bad parts and slack out of each series and even gave them quite some useful enhancements. In fact, I didn't even like the only other Layton title I've played, but this was amazing.

Huge fan of the AA series, not so much on the Layton side. I found most of the puzzles in the first game to be a bit too frustrating.

Regardless, picking this up tomorrow after work. Can't Wait!

Fey

Banned
i heard very mixed things about this game when it was released in japan, but how does this game compare to dual destinies (which i thought was a chore to play through and which has single handedly destroyed any hype for future AA games) ?

Tizoc

i heard very mixed things about this game when it was released in japan, but how does this game compare to dual destinies (which i thought was a chore to play through and which has single handedly destroyed any hype for future AA games) ?

You must've missed the OT for the EU release :V Many of us liked it, but the graphics are a step down from AA5, which IMO isn't a big issue as everything about the gameplay and dialog is freakin' ace.

rekameohs

Banned
This hate to Dual Destinies on the first page is just so bad to see. AA fans generally seem to be some of the more harsher fans to games within their own series, for some reason.

"The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright" is one of the best moments in the series.

This hate to Dual Destinies on the first page is just so bad to see. AA fans generally seem to be some of the more harsher fans to games within their own series, for some reason.

It's new so it sucks.

Necrovex

Completely forgot this was coming out. I'll check Gamestop since I'm at the mall waiting for my phone to get a new battery. A true impulse purchase if I find it at GS.

Fey

Banned
mess, i shouldn't have let my hate for AA5 cloud my judgement when deciding to preorder the game

may get it!

Arclaid

mess, i shouldn't have let my hate for AA5 cloud my judgement when deciding to preorder the game

may get it!

The story itself will be somewhat divisive, but I enjoyed the game much more than Dual Destinies. Group cross-examinations are a great addition, and there's one particular trial which I thought was absolutely brilliant. Also has the added bonus of having well-animated cutscenes without (for the most part) the corny voice acting
(yes, that was a jab at Dual Destinies)
, and a great soundtrack.

The investigation segments may or may not be your thing if you don't enjoy Layton games or puzzles in general, but most of them aren't mandatory to advance the story. I personally thought the puzzles were fairly easy compared to mainline Layton games, but hell, I really appreciated the lack of those rage-inducing slider puzzles.

It took me 20 hours without doing some of the hidden puzzles but overall it was a long game compared to other Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games.
Took me just under 25 hours with all puzzles completed.

Tizoc

Don't know why I'm spoiler tagging this, but
surely you meant Witch Trial. Any disagreement should automatically mean death by fire.

I did prefer Barnham, though.

Dat red hair hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng BARNHAM! BARNHAM! BARNHAM!

It may be an unpopular opinion, but Dual Destinies is the second best AA game (the first one is the best). People just can't handle the fact that Shu Takumi is great at coming up with game concepts but horrible at maintaining them across multiple games. That's why AA1 and Ghost Trick are so amazing; he's a creative guy with a real talent for marrying mechanics to story. Things go wrong, however, when he tries to bolt extra stuff onto his initial concepts. AA2 and 4 are mostly dull, and the third game is just completely up its own ass with the spirit medium shit. AA5 is great because it streamlines AA back such that it emphasizes the best part of these games: the courtroom drama.

Further, I just can't see Layton puzzles being anything but annoying filler when added to this formula.

Top Bottom