• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming Issues on XBox One - Johnathon Blow

Servbot24

Banned
RAM doesn't have an effect on FPS though, right? So some other part of Sony's console would have to be twice as powerful in order to get twice the framerate? Just wondering, obviously I've no clue what I'm talking about.

damn top of page

Is this an implication of bias or are you stating a well known fact for other reasons?

All tech numbers aside it is just funny to see these indies running the Sony flag so hard. I don't doubt his statements but you'd never hear the dude who is in deep with Sony now say anything nice about Microsoft.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gat damn, the ps4 is looking better by each thread about Xbox 1 :D

I bet Microsoft will have it in the contract that devs cant do that for multiplat games even if they wanted to.

That is extremely unlikely. It wasn't the case last gen, despite what some people hilariously claim.

RAM doesn't have an effect on FPS though, right? So some other part of Sony's console would have to be twice as powerful in order to get twice the framerate? Just wondering, obviously I've no clue what I'm talking about.

damn top of page

PS4 GPU is significantly more powerful. The RAM advantage is real, but the GPU different is the big advantage.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Did they really think Sony would make a console weaker than theirs?

LOL

They thought they had the memory in the bag with their 8GB, while Sony told everyone they went with 4GB. Even developers already developing for it were surprised to learn Sony upgraded to 8GB GDDR5.

v1oz

Microsoft already said they aren't targeting high end graphics.

They didn't really talk about graphics capabilities much in this presentation.

It's clear they're trying to downplay the importance of graphics/performance because they are at a disadvantage. Instead, they want the battle to be about multimedia stuff.

Where's that from? I saw a thread the other day claiming the process on Xbox One was 40nm. Was that BS?
Hopefully that is reflected in the price. I'm not paying top dollar for that.

artist

Banned
Other developer reactions;

From the cheers of the crowd (or coming perhaps from somewhere else), it's clear that those who were in attendance during Microsoft's Xbox One unveiling were indeed impressed. But what about the people who will be making games for it, what did the developers think about it? A number of them took to the modern soapbox of our day, Twitter, to express their personal feelings towards the new console.

* Minecraft's Markus "Notch" Presson - "I wanted a game console, not a voice and gesture based tv remote box. :/
Like Us on Facebook

* Mortal Kombat Kreator Ed Boon - "Are you people trying to tell me that in the console wars... the XBOX Won?"

* Gears of War lead designer, 'ol Cliffy B (Cliff Bleszinski) - "When I watch TV I don't want a game controller or a remote in my hand. I want my phone or my Ipad." Followed by - "My gut is telling me that today's show was "get the stuff out of the way that we didn't really want to hear about at E3" for Xbox One."

* Ubisoft Creative Director Paul Cross - "Dear Microsoft, yes. Thank you. #xboxone"

* Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe (over several tweets) - "Have not really said much about today's XBOX ONE stuff other than I dig the TV/media aspect of it- I think that is really eally cool stuff. And If the voice recog works as good in real life as on stage, I can imagine some very cool games!Sure,I wudda loved to have seen lots of games but I read that's coming in a few weeks at E3 & am excited to see the games! If I could easily, accurately just talk to my tv ala Suri ('Play latest episode of Scandal'), I'd LOVE that!"

* Bethesda Softworks VP Pete Hines - "I imagine there are some cable box manufacturers who are starting to sweat right now."

* Sledgehammer Games co-founder Michael Condrey - "fantasy football. Done. Buyin' it."

* the man behind Garry's Mod, Garry Newman - "Disappointing that MS had the chance to shake up console gaming but just pump out the same old shit. Apple are gonna gobble it all up."

* Minecraft's Nathan "Dinnerbone" Adams - "We're turning your games into TV series so that we can pour more money into cutscenes."

* Super Meat Boy creator Tommy Refenes - "Little brothers everywhere have been given the ultimate trolling tool While older brother and friends play COD "XBOX NETFLIX MY LITTLE PONY"

* Braid creator Jonathan Blow - "'Hi, I'm Steven Spielberg. I wish I cared enough about this event to fly to Redmond, but I don't, so you can watch me on TV....And please ignore the weird message this sends about the status of Hollywood relative to video games."

* Rock Band's Dan Teasdale - "Realised that the best shortened name for the Xbox One is the XBONE. X. BONE. Putting dogs front and center makes way more sense now."

* Borderlands 2 lead writer Anthony Burch - "xbox, put guy fieri on screen" "xbox i made a horrible mistake, summon alton brown" "alton brown, fight guy fieri in single combat" "marc summers, wash your hands"

* Adam Orth - ...
http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/...velopers-react-microsofts-xbox-one-reveal.htm

Argyle

33% difference isn't going to yield a doubled frame rate.

Sure it can. Here's a totally hypothetical example. Keep in mind you need to be under 16.6ms to hit 60fps:

Xbox One frame time = 21ms, vsynced to avoid tearing = 30fps
PS4 frame time = 14ms, vsynced (33% faster) = 60fps

Loudninja

All tech numbers aside it is just funny to see these indies running the Sony flag so hard. I don't doubt his statements but you'd never hear the dude who is in deep with Sony now say anything nice about Microsoft.
What is funny about that?

Sony and Nintendo I giving them major support.

Sounds like early days of PS3 with EA sports titles. Remember those days?

Point is, after 7 hard years of suffering, PS4 owners will/should NEVER suffer from inferior console ports.

But they will. No one is going to optimise for the stronger of the 2. Never have and never will. At least 3rd parties anyway. Obviously 1st parties will because thats all they have to work with.

liquidtmd

Banned
Mattrick

th_RalphWiggum.gif

Portugeezer

damn top of page

Maybe not the type of RAM but how the RAM is integrated into the architecture could affect it I am guessing, but I'm not qualified enough to say.

Pooya

Well, he is talking about perf numbers from third party devs like EA, Activision.

Speaking of which, where are all the developers reactions / responses like the ones after ps4?

I did this yesterday, DICE, eidos Montreal guys and Notch

capture9aqu3a.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hopefully that is reflected in the price. I'm not paying top dollar for that.

You will be paying top dollar if you want one, because of the included Kinect, which certainly isnt cheap.

Zabka

Was there any mention of dedicated hardware for audio, video or zlib like the PS4? Those can eat a decent chunk of processing time.

Ding-Ding

Its about norm to be honest.

Reading Fabian Giesen twitter (on the crappy PS3 browser so cant capture) and he wrote this yesterday.

@aras_p I've spent too much time over the last couple months on unadulterated MS bullshit; at this point I just want them to die in a fire.

Recall

So a guy who presented at Sony's reveal says the Microsoft console is weak compared to the Sony console. Sounds good.

Now that the Xbox One is revealed he can now state why he chose the Sony platform over the Microsoft one. Why is that hard to understand, why must there always be this agenda?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If capturing a screenshot of a webpage, please use PNG.
It really excels at that medium.

Thank you.

UberTag

Never fear, fellas.
All of those Cloud servers that developers will be tapping into will improve XB1 game performance immeasurably.

Provided that you're online that is.
And provided that developers consciously program their games to utilize an external resource instead of simply going the cheap route.
And provided that...

apesh1t

Banned
peter molyneux said this in an ign panel yesterday that was watching the show live. I'm on a phone so can't provide the link.

That 30fpsvs60fps, even if technically possible, isn't going to happen.

Microsoft will just go "Both games must be pretty much the same or we won't let you publish it"

Exclusives however, I'm expecting a pretty big difference.

StuBurns

Banned
Now that the Xbox One is revealed he can now state why he chose the Sony platform over the Microsoft one. Why is that hard to understand, why must there always be this agenda?
He stated why at the time, he hadn't been told about the XB1, they had a free PS4 dev kit, and his programmer (a former Sony employee) preferred the PS4 specs to the leaked XB1 specs.

RdN

Even if it gets to the point that was back in the PS2 vs XBox era, I won't be comfortable playing third party games on the Xbox One.

Microsoft will just go "Both games must be pretty much the same or we won't let you publish it"

So, hypothetically, Microsoft would turn away the next Elder Scrolls game if it didn't perform? Somehow I doubt that happens.

i-Lo

But they will. No one is going to optimise for the stronger of the 2. Never have and never will. At least 3rd parties anyway. Obviously 1st parties will because thats all they have to work with.

Wow, perhaps I have been speaking in a foreign tongue or you have been existing in an alternate universe where PS3 never got poor ports.

Plus, I said "inferior" not superior. Even if the performance is on par with X-bone it'll something PS3 owners have waited for over the last 7 years.

prwxv3

This is very ironic considering that one of the big reasons why the 360 was a huge success was because it was very easy to develop for, especially compared to the PS3

i wouldn't doubt the guy. he's no joe schmo like us. he's a man who actually develops games.

what we know for a fact is that the XB1 has 33% less shader cores than the PS4, or you can say the PS4 has 50% more shader cores than the XB1. Either way, it's 768 shader cores vs 1152. Referring to the glass as half full or half empty is up to you. PS4 has double the ROP and also a significant advantage in ram bandwidth. There also appears to be much less bloat in the operating system where the XB1 has to use OS virtualization going on at all times for the 3 OS running.

it's quite easy to see that there's just more power available to devs under the PS4 vs the XB1. if virtualization takes up a decent amount of cpu + ram, then maybe blow's sources are right.

Argyle

So, hypothetically, Microsoft would turn away the next Elder Scrolls game if it didn't perform? somehow I doubt that happens.

They would, if enough people bought the Xbox One that they knew that publishers and developers would not be able to turn a profit without tapping into the Xbox One userbase...

Endo Punk

I don't know how the fanboys are going to take this. They had bragging rights for most powerful console for 2 gens. lol.

This is very ironic considering that one of the big reasons why the 360 was a huge success was because it was very easy to develop for, especially compared to the PS3

This isn't about difficulty of programming. It's about raw power available inside the console. One has quite a bit more than the other.

And what makes you think MS will have that kind of clout? Do you think the Xbone will 90% marketshare or something?

Top Bottom