• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming Issues on XBox One - Johnathon Blow

Arnie

And like that Microsoft's E3 just became even harder.

Wasn't bothered until the frame rate comment. If a PS4 can play at double the speed then I'm going for that.

MedIC86

That 30fpsvs60fps, even if technically possible, isn't going to happen.

Microsoft will just go "Both games must be pretty much the same or we won't let you publish it"

Exclusives however, I'm expecting a pretty big difference.

We had this discussion in some other threads, some big publishers will not bow down to microsoft.

Why doesn't MS use their marketing money to make sure every app developer puts out a WP8 version?

Some of you guys need to get out of fantasy land.

kitch9

Banned
RAM doesn't have an effect on FPS though, right? So some other part of Sony's console would have to be twice as powerful in order to get twice the framerate? Just wondering, obviously I've no clue what I'm talking about.

damn top of page

The bandwidth of RAM has a massive effect on FPS yes. Huge.

I don't see it happening. MS has more marketing money. Has EA sport on it's side...

EA is a money whore. Not putting your game on the PS4 would cost money so ergo EA is on monies side.

Well, he is talking about perf numbers from third party devs like EA, Activision.

Speaking of which, where are all the developers reactions / responses like the ones after ps4?

We've only seen reactions from indies as far as I can tell, and some damage control from Cliffy B.

I have no idea why he'd go as far as saying that it might end up that games run 60fps on PS4 and 30fps on X1 - The CPU/GPU are very similar, only RAM and BUS is slower in X1. At best you might see increased loading times.

Pretty sure it'll be the same as on 360/PS3 - Both platforms will have great looking games and multiplatform will be better on the machine that's easier to develop for. And in this case, both are.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
And like that Microsoft's E3 just became even harder.

Wasn't bothered until the frame rate comment. If a PS4 can play at double the speed then I'm going for that.

It's true.

All PS4 games will be 60fps while Xbox One games will be 30fps.

Please don't be disappointed in November.

Meier

Thank god the spelling errors in the title are the TC's mistake and not on Mr. Blow's parents. Phew! There is only one spelling of Jonathan.

I wasn't a fan of Braid.

I have no idea why he'd go as far as saying that it might end up that games run 60fps on PS4 and 30fps on X1 - The CPU/GPU are very similar, only RAM and BUS is slower in X1. At best you might see increased loading times.

Pretty sure it'll be the same as on 360/PS3 - Both platforms will have great looking games and multiplatform will be better on the machine that's easier to develop for. And in this case, both are.

It would seem you have some reading to do.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

i-Lo

In the end, doesn't matter how much power PS4 has because Xbone will teh cloud processing powah and it's in multiple folds.

Oh wait... you don't always inte....wha? ping ra.... WHA? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER HOW AWESOMELY FLUFFY & POWAHFUL OUR CLOUD IS!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Microsoft: "Our proprietary software algorithms enhance third party games for a truly cinematic, 30fps experience. You won't have to suffer with dizzying 60fps again."

kitch9

Banned

Microsoft will just go "Both games must be pretty much the same or we won't let you publish it"

There's grasping at straws.....

Then there is this which is in a whole new league.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Its about norm to be honest.

Reading Fabian Giesen twitter (on the crappy PS3 browser so cant capture) and he wrote this yesterday.

Was curious about this. Gets even more interesting - also says that Sony's tools and libraries are better than MS's at this point, and better integrated with Microsoft's own IDE!

aKRcKab.png

ySet2Nf.png

That would be one very idle threat... Them having less third party games would hurt them a LOT more than it would hurt the publishers. (ask nintendo :p)

One one hand they'll be licking publisher's balls and giving them bundles of cash for timed exclusives and on the other hand they'd be threatening them.... with not publishing their games? Come on...

daveo42

Banned
In the end, doesn't matter how much power PS4 has because Xbone will teh cloud processing powah and it's in multiple folds.

Oh wait... you don't always inte....wha? ping ra.... WHA? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER HOW AWESOMELY FLUFFY & POWAHFUL OUR CLOUD IS!

The funny this is finding developers who will utilize the cloud for performance improvements other than faster loading multiplayer maps.

fallagin

It's 33 procent now? Wow, the numbers are all over the place.

The original wording was that the ps4 gpu has + 50% the performance of the one GPU.

That is the ps4 GPU is 150% of the one GPU.
Therefore 100/150 = 66% which is 33% less than the ps4 GPU.

It all makes sense when you put it into context.

ironcreed

Banned

All about dat secret sauce.

XK7wSYU.gif

Proelite

Was curious about this. Gets even more interesting - also says that Sony's tools and libraries are better than MS's at this point, and better integrated with Microsoft's own IDE!

aKRcKab.png

ySet2Nf.png

Not surprised one bit. Lots of teams at MS can't make use of VS due to custom build solutions.

I figured the same thing. Last gen developers had trouble optimizing their games for the PS3. It doesn't seem like that'll be the case this time around. Pair that with the fact that the Xbox One seems like it'll have significantly weaker hardware and it seems like there's going to be trouble.

Arnie

It's true.

All PS4 games will be 60fps while Xbox One games will be 30fps.

Please don't be disappointed in November.

Don't be ridiculous.

If I buy five games per year and one of them is running at 30fps when I know a 60fps version exists on a console that I could've bought for (presumably) little extra cost then I'd be annoyed with myself.

Don't know why you felt the need to throw in that highly defensive comment.

UberTag

In other words, developers would have an easier time developing Xbox One titles employing Sony tools than they would Microsoft tools?

UberTag

I am starting to think that the cloud computing was the secret sauce all along. Man if it is lol
That's unquestionably the case.
Microsoft has put all of their eggs into the cloud basket.

They sure love that Final Fantasy VII character. Frankly, I think they need to move on.

DesertFox

Well, if this comparison is any indication. . .

BK3xTxOCYAEAgeG.png:large

This chart is deceptive. It's using Xbox One's actual memory frequency, while comparing it to PS4's effective memory frequency. I wouldn't say that's a fair comparison.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong

It really seems like Sony is deciding to enter this generation by earnestly addressing and correcting all the major mistakes they made with hardware in the last few generations, while Microsoft is deciding to rest on its laurels and push a voice-activated tv remote into our living rooms, hoping for the best.

At this point, it appears as though the next generation will definitely be Sony's to lose. I'll be waiting for E3 to see if they take a pro-consumer stance or shoot themselves in the foot, a la Microsoft, with uncompetitive pricing and invasive DRM. Those two issues will make or break the PS4, in my opinion.

It's 33 procent now? Wow, the numbers are all over the place.

it's a case of "glass half empty vs glass half full"

if you take the power of the PS4 and divide it by the XB1 power, you get 1.5 which says the PS4 has 50% more gpu power than the XB1

if you take the power of the XB1 and divide it by the PS4's gpu power, you get .6666666 which says that the XB1 has around 33% less gpu power than the PS4

it's just looking at it in two different ways, but the overall difference remains the same.

768 shader cores for XB1 vs 1152 shader cores for PS4

Top Bottom