• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 announced

Spookie

IRNzpn2.jpg

cBj1LTf.png

too early IMO. Glad I didn't buy it during the steam sale. I don't want to support this kind of behaviour. I mean, the game is still full price in brick mortar stores

Skyzard

Banned
Did they say they weren't going to keep improving the game?

True they mention on demand content already being on the way and continuing but they did say they were turning their attention to pc2. Hopefully none of the on-demand stuff gets cut including fixes and highly requested and reasonable features.

I'm sure new fans of pc1 who play it a lot would back it as well as a lot of the previous backers but I'm going to see what the support is like. I like devs to leave behind as solid a game as they can before rushing off for what feels like a cashgrab.

PaulLFC

Seems a bit early, but I was interested, so I looked at the tiers - limiting the lowest tier to the PC version only rather than a choice of platform is an annoying move - I have a decent PC, but if someone chucks 50 quid at this, which is the lowest you can contribute, why shouldn't they be able to get a PS4 or XB1 version like you can at the next level up?

It will be cheaper than £50 at release anyway, but I'd have paid the extra for the in progress builds. Not £75 though. Seems a pointless arbitrary restriction.

ValfarHL

What the hell. The first one, to my knowledge, still has game breaking bugs in the career mode, and they announce a sequel??

Fool me once..

aliengmr

Because you lose only X amount of sales doesn't exactly convert it to a good marketing move, just a slightly less worse one than announcing even earlier.

Of course it's all good for the developer anyhow, they got everyone's money and instead of using it to fund the sequel they can ask for more, after which they collect the profits again.
The cycle can be continued as long as people are willing to pay for getting to play development builds and test them, it's genius from business perspective.

If marketing actually mattered to gamers I might agree, but it doesn't.

Skyzard

Banned
They want to catch up to GT and Forza numbers, they were always saying how they were so far behind in that respect. Maybe they'll do it.

I really don't get why everyone is upset about this. Would it be preferable to lay off the majority of the studio instead of working on the next game? Logistically they cannot have everyone working on bugs and DLC for the first game. There is a team of fourty dedicated to continue work on pcars 1.

Newlove

So there is no point to buying Project CARS now? Even if they're updating the first one, why do I want to play that if a whole new version is coming out?

Not sure I quite get this logic. It's like saying why ever buy Forza when you know a new one comes out in 2 years. Or why buy any game that is clearly going to have sequels.

JoseJX

A quick question for anyone who has pledged for PCars2 already.

I'm still waiting for a Linux build for PCars1, is the provided Build 0 only for Windows, or is there other operating system support? It's not really clear from the available information and I'm really hesitant to give them any money without any support considering the current situation.

Thanks!

waters10

Neo Member
Way too soon!

Not only that, but the game still has so many bugs and missing features that this reads like, we're pulling the plug and focusing on the sequel. I don't understand why they didn't spend at least the rest of this year polishing the game, gaining the trust from the current install base, then announce the sequel?

TJP

I saw the same screen grab on PRC and thought of you :) Seems they've been stirring up a few developers recently.

Not sure how I feel about the lowest tier being £50 without any ROI; I'm sure SMS will have a few people take up their offer.

Way too soon!

Not only that, but the game still has so many bugs and missing features that this reads like, we're pulling the plug and focusing on the sequel. I don't understand why they didn't spend at least the rest of this year polishing the game, gaining the trust from the current install base, then announce the sequel?

Because a game development studio isn't one person. 40 people are still working on support for Project CARS 1 for at least another year, possibly more but unconfirmed. The developers have no publisher, so it's us, the crowd funders, that they answer to. Instead of something like GTA where Rockstar has private talks with Take Two, a week after the release of GTA 5, to discuss GTA 6, WMD announces it publicly because our funding decides the fate of the game.

All other games start development very soon after the newly released title in order to keep people employed, fund their passion and just generally keep working. The only difference here is that pCARS 2 has to do it publicly because it's impossible to contact everyone on their forum privately to let them know that they're pledging for more funds. They're doing exactly what other devs do, but being transparent about it, and being shit on for it. I'm glad they're doing it this way, and there's no reason to complain when the game could be released in 2018 or so.

Just bear in mind that pCARS 1 was announced and available for funding in 2011, and became available in 2015. Now I know they have existing code to work on to shorten their work, but by that standard we won't see this until 2019. The game is on build 0000 and was compiled on June 22nd for christ's sake. It's not going to be around, nor will pCARS 1 get the plug pulled, for a LONG time.

herod

The only difference with this vs. every other active game series is the funding model dictates that the sequel has to be announced earlier. Every other factor is exactly the same.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
@projectcarsgame 2m
Project CARS will continue to see massive updates, features, and content throughout 2015 & beyond. Project CARS 2 will happen simultaneously
Welp, so much for me getting PC1.

Klocker

Because a game development studio isn't one person. 40 people are still working on support for Project CARS 1 for at least another year, possibly more but unconfirmed. The developers have no publisher, so it's us, the crowd funders, that they answer to. Instead of something like GTA where Rockstar has private talks with Take Two, a week after the release of GTA 5, to discuss GTA 6, WMD announces it publicly because our funding decides the fate of the game.

All other games start development very soon after the newly released title in order to keep people employed, fund their passion and just generally keep working. The only difference here is that pCARS 2 has to do it publicly because it's impossible to contact everyone on their forum privately to let them know that they're pledging for more funds. They're doing exactly what other devs do, but being transparent about it, and being shit on for it. I'm glad they're doing it this way, and there's no reason to complain when the game could be released in 2018 or so.

Just bear in mind that pCARS 1 was announced and available for funding in 2011, and became available in 2015. Now I know they have existing code to work on to shorten their work, but by that standard we won't see this until 2019. The game is on build 0000 and was compiled on June 22nd for christ's sake. It's not going to be around, nor will pCARS 1 get the plug pulled, for a LONG time.

Yea. I don't get the outrage... it will take years for PC2. They need to start fundraising now, does not mean they won't or can't support the first one.

VariantX

I know exactly why they're doing it and it makes perfect sense to me from a development standpoint, but it really just doesn't matter from a consumer perspective. In the end, its all about how the people who you need to get money from feel about the situation.

jet1911

Reading this thread it looks like a lot of people will stop buying games full stop. No way they're going to support devs who start working on new games when their latest one just released!

Did Namco/Bandai publish the first game worldwide, or were the rights divided up?

With 4 million copies sold, you'd think they'd have first rights to a sequel and crowd funding wouldn't be necessary.
I guess SMS trust the community more than being under the thumb of a publisher, but it's a strange development in the continuing evolution of crowd funded games.

I haven't played the first game yet.

waters10

Neo Member

I understand that. And I understand they said they'll keep supporting the first game. But in this case, it's about perception. The game had so many bugs and still has so many, it could also use some polish, that I can't help it but think that instead of 40, they could put more guys there doing that, heck 75% of staff for 3 more months! At least get the game to a better state. I probably would feel differently, if the game were in a more polished state. It's still great, but unpolished.

A quick question for anyone who has pledged for PCars2 already.

I'm still waiting for a Linux build for PCars1, is the provided Build 0 only for Windows, or is there other operating system support? It's not really clear from the available information and I'm really hesitant to give them any money without any support considering the current situation.

Thanks!

The hell you gonna give them more money when they haven't even made a Linux version of the first one for?

Grassy

Welp, so much for me getting PC1.

So you're not going to buy the game available now, that will continue to be supported, just because they're also working on the sequel that will be out in 2-3 years?

Which is the same thing that most, if not every other developer does these days. Sad.

Did Namco/Bandai publish the first game worldwide, or were the rights divided up?

With 4 million copies sold, you'd think they'd have first rights to a sequel and crowd funding wouldn't be necessary.
I guess SMS trust the community more than being under the thumb of a publisher, but it's a strange development in the continuing evolution of crowd funded games.

I haven't played the first game yet.

Well there's no need to now, they're already making a sequel so just wait 2-3 years for that!

/s

Arttemis

Not support such a stupid company, no matter how good their games are.

Yeah, how dare a developer make sequels without publishers dictating their direction. How stupid of them to reach out to the community of people who enjoy their game in hopes of making an even better sequel.

So by your logic, Forza is okay because they 'wait' before 'announcing' the inevitable sequels? Jesus fucking christ.

massoluk

Banned
Reading this thread it looks like a lot of people will stop buying games full stop. No way they're going to support devs who start working on new games when their latest one just released!

I'm more annoyed by the fact that I was one of the early backer under the promise of the Wii U version that is becoming less and less likely each day :\ They kinda glossed over that and announced PC2 instead.

vio

Well they have to start right away. I might be wrong, but i think that Project Cars was announced in 2008.

heyf00L

I almost got PCars in the Steam sale, but decided against it due to the bugs. I assumed they're working to fix them. Is that not the case then?

Top Bottom