• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

fresquito

The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U though.

And the install base is going to be much larger eventually.
Look, I don't care about console wars. The Switch is simply not powerful enough to handle PC2 the way it is. It would require serious compromises and a lot of dev time to make the version work reasonably well. That's not debatable.

Eventually the install base might be big, but you don't release a game based on eventualities. And those that do, tend to close doors sooner rather than later. I will not even go into demographics.

Look, I don't care about console wars. The Switch is simply not powerful enough to handle PC2 the way it is. It would require serious compromises and a lot of dev time to make the version work reasonably well. That's not debatable.

Eventually the install base might be big, but you don't release a game based on eventualities. And those that do, tend to close doors sooner rather than later. I will not even go into demographics.

who said console wars? i have all the systems, i play them all and a gaming pc.

i asked a question and you gave an answer that i didn't find compelling, so i responded. Jeezus, lighten up man.

fresquito

Why there's no Switch version?
Not pòwerful.
But it's more powerful than a WiiU.

So, care to explain your point before asking people to lighten up?

Interesting news about setting up races:

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/news...game-race-settings-for-project-cars-2?lang=en

Lot´s of cool stuff... some of it was already in Pcars1, but the menus and options appear to be easier to find.

Lots of good info. Thanks for posting. The most exciting info that I didn't already know is how favorites work and having 4 slots available for that. Nice!!

Man, I dunno guys. I'm trying to stay positive and cautiously optimistic about PCARS 2, but it's kinda hard when you go back to PCARS 1 and play it in VR, and realize it's not that great. I mean, why does iRacing look so much better and cleaner than Pcars1 in VR? Why is pcars 1 in VR such a resource hog?

I'm running Windows 7 with 4870K OC'ed to 4.6Ghz and a 980Ti, and I have to turn damn near everything down in order to achieve a steady 90fs in my Rift. The image quality looks like someone covered the screen in a thin layer of vaseline. It's just not clear. Iracing's IQ in VR, especially now with the new sharpness setting applied looks amazing and much more detailed than Pcars in VR. I sincerely hope SMS optimizes Pcars 2 to run much better and allow us to turn up some eye candy in our Rifts and Vives while maintaining a smooth 90fps. Sucks that it can't be achieved in Pacrs 1.

I haven't played iRacing, so I can't comment on that comparison, but I don't think pCars 1 looks bad at all in VR (GTX 1080 here). I haven't heard any complaints on the impressions so far including from Inside Sim Racing, so I'm remaining optimistic that this game will be great.

Grassy

who said console wars? i have all the systems, i play them all and a gaming pc.

i asked a question and you gave an answer that i didn't find compelling, so i responded. Jeezus, lighten up man.

You should refer to what Blizzard said in regards to an Overwatch port on Switch, the same logic applies here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359007
Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan recently said that the company was open to a Switch port, but admitted that it would be a challenge.

"Getting OW on the Switch is very challenging for us," he said last month. "But we're always open minded about exploring possible platforms."

"I think the problem is, we've really targeted our min spec in a way that we would have to revisit performance and how to get on that platform," he said.

"And also, it's already challenging right now maintaining three platforms and patching simultaneously, which is something that we've finally been able to achieve."

Kaplan said that he was proud of his team for being able to patch simultaneously, and that a Nintendo Switch port would make that difficult.

Now take into account Overwatch is already designed to run on weak hardware and isn't that intensive graphically, Blizzard are ~5000 employees strong and have all the money and resources you could imagine, and they still think it's a big challenge to do a Switch version. So it's no wonder Slightly Mad don't want to go near it.

"I haven't played iRacing, so I can't comment on that comparison, but I don't think pCars 1 looks bad at all in VR (GTX 1080 here). I haven't heard any complaints on the impressions so far including from Inside Sim Racing, so I'm remaining optimistic that this game will be great."

PCars 1 runs absolutely terribly in VR with a 1080 here. Even beyond just lower than 90fps, the way it seems to handles reprojection is far below anything else I've played. I'm not sure what's up with it, but it's definitely a technical boggle, not a matter of lowering settings.

"I haven't played iRacing, so I can't comment on that comparison, but I don't think pCars 1 looks bad at all in VR (GTX 1080 here). I haven't heard any complaints on the impressions so far including from Inside Sim Racing, so I'm remaining optimistic that this game will be great."

PCars 1 runs absolutely terribly in VR with a 1080 here. Even beyond just lower than 90fps, the way it seems to handles reprojection is far below anything else I've played. I'm not sure what's up with it, but it's definitely a technical boggle, not a matter of lowering settings.

I know it has performance issues, but it still runs decent enough for me and still looks good to me. Unfortunately, I don't have much to compare it to as the only other racer I have is Dirt Rally and I think pCars does a lot better with the VR implementation and presentation.

Hoping for the best with pCars 2 and that it's optimized better for VR.

benzy

https://youtu.be/uH4Blm-Nt20

Lengthy control pad impressions. Seems like the same issue with pCars 1 which was practically unplayable for me with a controller even after tweaking game pad settings and sensitivity. Hope the final game controller fine tuning are drastically improved from what people have been playing so far.

benzy

Sorry guys if this has been asked.....will this support PSVR?

Last I heard they said they'd like to but can't make any promises. With GTSport even having to limit its VR integration to only 1v1 and only on certain tracks to keep up visual fidelity, I don't think the PS4 is strong enough to provide a good experience with full races and especially with dynamic time and weather. DriveClub looks like ass in VR and they had to disable all of its dynamic nature that made it look impressive. I don't think it's looking likely for PSVR support.

GenericUser

Lengthy control pad impressions. Seems like the same issue with pCars 1 which was practically unplayable for me with a controller even after tweaking game pad settings and sensitivity. Hope the final game controller fine tuning are drastically improved from what people have been playing so far.
Glad I invested money in a wheel. Best gaming decision 2017. Anyone who really digs racing games and has the money should buy one.

Last I heard they said they'd like to but can't make any promises. With GTSport even having to limit its VR integration to only 1v1 and only on certain tracks to keep up visual fidelity, I don't think the PS4 is strong enough to provide a good experience with full races and especially with dynamic time and weather. DriveClub looks like ass in VR and they had to disable all of its dynamic nature that made it look impressive. I don't think it's looking likely for PSVR support.

Sigh, that sucks, oh well, that's life. Thanks man.

Mascot

Glad I invested money in a wheel. Best gaming decision 2017. Anyone who really digs racing games and has the money should buy one.
Absolutely, but it'll be commercial suicide if gamepad control isn't substantially improved over pcars 1.

I keep hearing mixed messages about this so can only assume it varies with each new build.

GHG

Absolutely, but it'll be commercial suicide if gamepad control isn't substantially improved over pcars 1.

I keep hearing mixed messages about this so can only assume it varies with each new build.

I agree but I would rather they make wheel and FFB development a priority and then look at controllers after rather than the other way round.

danowat

Banned
I agree but I would rather they make wheel and FFB development a priority and then look at controllers after rather than the other way round.

I'd have said, considering that the majority of console users will use a pad, they should have equal priority.

rainz

Goddammit.... seriously had my hopes up a bit after reading around some.. Now this is going to be the 3rd game in a row from these guys that i and a tonne of other "casual" players just cannot play/buy.. Oh well, will see if theres a 4th down the track...

danowat

Banned

It can't be worse than PC1, so I guess that's one thing, if nothing else.

Mascot

Goddammit.... seriously had my hopes up a bit after reading around some.. Now this is going to be the 3rd game in a row from these guys that i and a tonne of other "casual" players just cannot play/buy.. Oh well, will see if theres a 4th down the track...

Don't panic. The game is changing every day. Different builds can break/fix a number of variables during the development process. We have no idea what build VVV were using. Good pad control is a priority for SMS so let's wait and see how the game actually launches.

GHG

I'd have said, considering that the majority of console users will use a pad, they should have equal priority.

That never happens though. Just like how Forza and GT are gamepad biased instead of being Wheel/FFB first. While Assetto Corsa is better than PCars 1 in that regard it's still clear that it's meant to be played with a proper FFB wheel. At some point during the development process you have to decide if you are going to prioritise "accessibility" or if you are going to prioritise making the best sim possible which will mean focusing on getting wheel/FFB calibration and feel right. The latter also tends to mean that PC development gets prioritised over consoles.

Oh and for the record, it's much much better than PCars1 with a pad.

fresquito

I honestly can't agree with the video. So much less when it's comparing them to PC1.

There're some points to be made, though.

The speeded up time with fast temp changes is challenging even for wheels. Basically you are readapting all the time.
Fog/mist conditions have never been the best for racing.
You can clearly see in the videos the guy is not going as fast as he'd like and has some problems after tricky situations. PC1 was hard going straight at Silverstone in clear conditions with a GT3.
Playing with a wheel will always be easier. Otherwise real cars would be driven with gamepads. Expecting the same level of control on a sim that's not sacrificing anything is delusional.

BTW, there's no need to switch priorities, gamepad and wheels are getting the same love IMO both are hugely improved from PC1.

GenericUser

Wasn't it not too long ago when the devs stated, that they found the controller bug in pcars1, that always added a 5% deadzone to the stick no matter what?

(Most of) The Cars:

With 180 cars carefully curated from the world's most elite brands in order to reflect the 9 disciplines of motorsport and 29 motorsport series in-game, Project CARS 2 has you covered, no matter what gets your adrenaline racing. Each car in-game has been selected to represent a moment in time, an era of racing, and the sense of motorsport captured in all its heroic beauty.

Each car has been faithfully built to exacting standards, with architecture that has been approved by each and every automaker, and handling that has been tested and approved by half-a-dozen real-world drivers. Project CARS 2 is the vivid expression of racing, and that authenticity begins with the very soul of motorsport—the cars.

Some models are yet to be revealed, but it's a remarkably comprehensive roster.

My only gripe is that the LMP1 field is a bit lacking, (half of it being #FAKECARS no less). There's always potential DLC to fill out the ranks, but it's a bummer that the R18 TDI and Lola-Aston B09/60 from the first game went MIA.

VVV Mars VG

The comparison with PC1. I think it's misleading.

Well, you start with a reference point, that being PCars 1. Anything from there is an improvement, having said that my PCars 2 experience has been similar to Pcars 1 in terms of some cars handle ok, others don't. I played whole races just fine with a controller in Pcars 1, some I won, some Iost.

So, if I'm encountering a similar experience and based on the history and reference of the first title, that means there is still work to do in controller settings on Pcars2.

That never happens though. Just like how Forza and GT are gamepad biased instead of being Wheel/FFB first. While Assetto Corsa is better than PCars 1 in that regard it's still clear that it's meant to be played with a proper FFB wheel. At some point during the development process you have to decide if you are going to prioritise "accessibility" or if you are going to prioritise making the best sim possible which will mean focusing on getting wheel/FFB calibration and feel right. The latter also tends to mean that PC development gets prioritised over consoles.

You know that I love how Dan Greenawalt from Turn 10 talks about Forza, even if a good chunk of his praise for what their game does is kinda bullshit. He always talked about Forza trying as close as possible to real world physics at the bottom of their game as possible, always pushing to simulate more and better, then build the controllers assists and feel on top of that. Sure, it's complete BS if you're looking at how much and how well Forza simulates stuff when compared to Assetto Corsa, rFactor or iRacing - Forza and GT are clearly build with the controller in mind not even simulating the real world steering ratio and degree of rotation - but the basic idea Greenawalt is selling is the right one.

If Audi for example can make a computer drive an R8 around a track and get close to race driver times and develop ESPs that help drivers drifting, then sim devs should be able to build controller assists on top of super realistic physics, which help with the countersteering just enough to make pad players feel in control... the right sound effects and camera movement when you're close to the limit in a corner also helps pad players.

-----------
edit: reminder @Mascot, buy Automobilista + Season Pass in the Steam sale, dammit. It's the best thing out there. Looking at Racedepartment comments and threads, I am far from alone in that opinion among people who play all kinds of racing sims.

Klocker

(Most of) The Cars:

Some models are yet to be revealed, but it's a remarkably comprehensive roster.

My only gripe is that the LMP1 field is a bit lacking, (half of it being #FAKECARS no less). There's always potential DLC to fill out the ranks, but it's a bummer that the R18 TDI and Lola-Aston B09/60 from the first game went MIA.

Lacking indeed

I like the roster all but for this group.. geez man come on so many choices out

Well, you start with a reference point, that being PCars 1. Anything from there is an improvement, having said that my PCars 2 experience has been similar to Pcars 1 in terms of some cars handle ok, others don't. I played whole races just fine with a controller in Pcars 1, some I won, some Iost.

So, if I'm encountering a similar experience and based on the history and reference of the first title, that means there is still work to do in controller settings on Pcars2.

Oh man please don't tell me that I have to ignore all the road cars again as in pc1?

amar212

But if default setup for wheels is utter mess as it was in PCARS1, you will lose your enthusiasm fast.

Horrid, simply horrid default setup for both cars and wheels was the No1 reason that me and 95% of my racing buddies stopped playing PC1 in weeks after release.

Only friend that kept playing was our ProChamp, who is participating in closed pro leagues with heavy setupping and tweaking.

But the process of resetting all setups after every update was too much.

PC is an amazing game, but man, someone should do his work into making game instantly playable for default setups and wheel support.

Rantover.jpg

fresquito

I think your comment is misleading because you are concluding that because some cars are harder to handle, controls are similar. But that is also true for wheels. So I don't see how this is a problem specific to the implementation of the gamepad.

The underlying debate here is perfectly explained by GHG and Tyler. Do you want the game to offer extra layers of hidden gamepad assists to compensate and make all cars easy to drive with a gamepad? Execution vs approach is what we are talking about.

You make it sound like gamepad controls are mostly the same as PC1. Like nothing's been done. And that's not only untrue, but also not possible. So many core physics elements have been changed, feeling the same would mean making a lot of work with the gamepad to make the new physics feel like those of PC1. Does that sound weird? Yes, very much so.

So basically, the execution is different, IMO, much, much better. Now, the approach is that of substituting a wheel with a gamepad. Is that the right approach? I honestly don't know. I guess it comes down to each player and probably having options to enable or disable these assists would be the way to go. Although that would open a can of worms for online and competitive play.

Lacking indeed

I like the roster all but for this group.. geez man come on so many choices out there

Right?

Not having the 919 is a real downer as far as modern hybrids go, and like you said, there's no shortage of choice among the older models. The Audi and Peugeot turbodiesel monsters are obvious candidates, and there's a few mid- to late-2000s LMPs that are seldom featured in licensed games. The Acura/HPD line, (take your pick of the LMP1 or LMP2 variants), from the ALMS days would be lovely to have, as would Porsche RS Spyder.

VVV Mars VG

I think your comment is misleading because you are concluding that because some cars are harder to handle, controls are similar. But that is also true for wheels. So I don't see how this is a problem specific to the implementation of the gamepad.

The underlying debate here is perfectly explained by GHG and Tyler. Do you want the game to offer extra layers of hidden gamepad assists to compensate and make all cars easy to drive with a gamepad? Execution vs approach is what we are talking about.

You make it sound like gamepad controls are mostly the same as PC1. Like nothing's been done. And that's not only untrue, but also not possible. So many core physics elements have been changed, feeling the same would mean making a lot of work with the gamepad to make the new physics feel like those of PC1. Does that sound weird? Yes, very much so.

So basically, the execution is different, IMO, much, much better. Now, the approach is that of substituting a wheel with a gamepad. Is that the right approach? I honestly don't know. I guess it comes down to each player and probably having options to enable or disable these assists would be the way to go. Although that would open a can of worms for online and competitive play.

I think you're getting confused with the handling physics, the physics are completely different but the end user experience with a pad is not, yet.

Physics are not in question in this video and have moved a long way from Pcars1, but the controller play I've used in Pcars2 still has issues present in that game. It's not fixed yet though hopefully will be in the final game and I have faith it will all come together.

Oh man please don't tell me that I have to ignore all the road cars again as in pc1?

Nope, this is a development build, so nothing is final. This is the problem with previews, people hear something negative and so that becomes a blanket opinion. In this case, everything you see can change between now and launch.

Klocker

I think you're getting confused with the handling physics, the physics are completely different but the end user experience is not, yet.

Physics are not in question in this video and have moved a long way from Pcars1, but the controller play I've used in Pcars2 still has issues present in that game. It's not fixed yet though hopefully will be in the final game and I have faith it will all come together.

Nope, this is a development build, so nothing is final. This is the problem with previews, people hear something negative and so that becomes a blanket opinion. In this case, everything you see can change between now and launch.
No worries, was just having flashbacks to frustrating days with P1.

Cool I'll hold out hope we get a nice pad implementation at release.

I got P1 to work great with race cars and that's most important for me anyway even if it doesn't improve a lot by release

Edit... Double post sorry

But if default setup for wheels is utter mess as it was in PCARS1, you will lose your enthusiasm fast.

Horrid, simply horrid default setup for both cars and wheels was the No1 reason that me and 95% of my racing buddies stopped playing PC1 in weeks after release.

Only friend that kept playing was our ProChamp, who is participating in closed pro leagues with heavy setupping and tweaking.

But the process of resetting all setups after every update was too much.

PC is an amazing game, but man, someone should do his work into making game instantly playable for default setups and wheel support.

Rantover.jpg

srcstc.gif

I went back to Pcars the other day because I bought a new wheel and was putting it through the paces. I ran the BMW 1M a car I had already tweaked and found the experience amazing. Was I wrong about this game? Was my wheel not up to snuff? Tried a diffrent car I had never driven and it was a mess. I really dont have time to fuck with every single car in the game to get it to feel like something that makes sense. If they dont fix this for 2..........oh boy!

Gestault

Considering how far it's come, I'm comfortable saying this as an outright positive: My experiences with Project Cars 1 really spelled out how tailored the inputs for controller play in other games had been. And with one or two personal caveats, the wheel play made clear that it wasn't an issue of the driving model, just how they handled the interface between a controller and their model.

I'm hoping the default controls for PC2 on a controller are further along in that regard, but even a fully patched PC1 with the right pairing of tweaks handles very well, now. That's a big change from where it was for most of the game's life. Hell, even when it had been mostly addressed through patching and community settings, having to repeatedly re-enter those settings due to either bugs or updates meant the game was more pain than joy without a wheel. If that's been fully addresed, PC2 is in a perfectly fine place for controller play.

Mascot

Project CARS 2 Build 737 WIP - Lotus 98T @ Red Bull Ring - Gamepad driving
I don't think the 98T is an easy car to drive, even with a wheel.

Ian Bell said this in GTP in response to comments about the recent VVV gamepad video:

I've only been playing with controller for some months. It's reached the stage that I can't find anything to suggest to the team to improve it further 'without overly intrusive filtering' and I think that's where it should be IMO. I can categorically say it's much much more controllable, intuitive and enjoyable than it was in pCARS1.

There are no 'fake' input filters beyond some opposite lock help where we'll put you roughly in the right window of lock when you counter steer to catch an oversteer moment.

It looks like Alan is on that same E3 build where I now have my doubts that everything was tuned as it should be.

Project CARS 2 Build 737 WIP - Lotus 98T @ Red Bull Ring - Gamepad driving
I don't think the 98T is an easy car to drive, even with a wheel.

Having watched only 30 seconds, that guy is SUPER SCARED to drive the car and it's because he doesn't trust himself to catch any breaking out of the rear. Not a good example. [and yes, I know that this car does 4 bar boost and is not easy to drive, but this guy is "scared"]

There are no 'fake' input filters beyond some opposite lock help where we'll put you roughly in the right window of lock when you counter steer to catch an oversteer moment.
This sounds like the right thing to do. Maybe they also should fine tune the speed sensitive steering to work different for some corners.

Mascot

No matter how smooth a pad player is you can spot them a mile away in online races, twitching all over the place like they've got ants in their pants. It really shatters immersion. I wish some visual smoothing of how they look to other players could be introduced, but I guess that would just lead to hit detection problems.

Wheel-only lobbies is the only solution, I guess.

saladine1

I've mentioned it before but i'll mention it again for topic at hand's sake.
PC1's default setup was crap. Felt crap especially on pads.
The more extreme vehicles were nearly impossible to use right?
However, after recently firing up CARS 2 with default pad setups, I have to say that not only is it a far cry from PC1 in terms of everything, but perhaps it feels too good lol..?

I rate Forza as the best pad implementation in any game 'over filtering' not withstanding. IMO though, CARS 2 as of the latest build feels very similar to Forza albeit without the saturation of Forza's effects.

If I were a pad player, I'd be more than happy with what SMS has done. If they continue on the same path as they are now, a much more enjoyable experience will definitely be had i'm sure.

Mascot

However, after recently firing up CARS 2 with default pad setups, I have to say that not only is it a far cry from PC1 in terms of everything, but perhaps it feels too good lol..?

I rate Forza as the best pad implementation in any game 'over filtering' not withstanding. IMO though, CARS 2 as of the latest build feels very similar to Forza albeit without the saturation of Forza's effects.

If I were a pad player, I'd be more than happy with what SMS has done. If they continue on the same path as they are now, a much more enjoyable experience will definitely be had i'm sure.

Good to hear because I strongly believe that the future of the franchise depends on it.

danowat

Banned
No matter how smooth a pad player is you can spot them a mile away in online races, twitching all over the place like they've got ants in their pants. It really shatters immersion. I wish some visual smoothing of how they look to other players could be introduced, but I guess that would just lead to hit detection problems.

Whilst I am sure many players do, not all pad players are like that!

Drackhorn

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

It´s a shame that a racing sim has to spend so much time fixing pad controls, it´s a lot of effort for something that kind of deafeats the purpose, but anyway, i was there once, i understand market and sales, so it´s the type of thing we can´t really complain because it helps them get a lot more sales.

As for wheel filtered lobbies, it only works if you have hundreds of people playing the game. As it stands right now i can´t find anyone to play on Pcars one (PC), so matchmaking, filtering options, ratings, none of this matters if there only a handful of closed leagues and one player lobbies going on.

Ended up doing a 62 minute race at Zolder with the McLaren F1 and i did not remembered how much fun it was with the AI at high settings. That car is so much fun...

danowat

Banned
It´s a shame that a racing sim has to spend so much time fixing pad controls, it´s a lot of effort for something that kind of deafeats the purpose, but anyway, i was there once, i understand market and sales, so it´s the type of thing we can´t really complain because it helps them get a lot more sales.

It's essential if they want to sell the game on console, if they wanted to keep it wheel only, then they should have forgotten about a console release and left it on PC.

I see a bit of PC elitism rearing it's ugly head.

Top Bottom