• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

If the new AI translates well to the console patch then I think you'll love it. I have some fantastic battles with the AI in AC now. It's probably the best I've ever played against.
Yea, I usually struggle to believe these "it's all better now" comments, but the assetto corsa AI update Mascot is talking about is... I mean, it's not like it now suddenly deserves the term artificial intelligence, but it's unbelievable how much better they are at racing, anticipating where you'll go and when to back off and when to go for an overtake. This variation slider lets you choose how big you want the difference in competence and lap times of the AI drivers is a great addition as well. I'd still sign that AC's AI is dumb, but you can have good races with them now, even multiclass races.

My pCARS1 race two days was a mess compared to that, they brake later than I can, they overtake on the grass in a chicane, they bump you if brake early and I get shown the blue flag in qualifying, without being on an out or in lap. I found the best FFB setting yet, but I don't want to race against that AI again.

That screenie of the 288 GTO with all the mud on it makes me sad.
images
It was used for rallys a lot, that's totally fine. It was built for competing in Group B.

Pachimari

I'm gonna start up Project CARS 1 on my PC with a wheel and pedals for the first time, vroom vroom! Hopefully I can get some good races in against the CPU, and alright visuals with a GTX 780, i5 4670K 4C/4T and 16GB of RAM.

Mascot

My pCARS1 race two days was a mess compared to that, they brake later than I can, they overtake on the grass in a chicane, they bump you if brake early and I get shown the blue flag in qualifying, without being on an out or in lap. I found the best FFB setting yet, but I don't want to race against that AI again.

Care to share? I'm still running defaults after moving to PC recently so still have that weird centre-sprung feel like I'm playing with a £10 bungee wheel.

Mascot

Been looking at pre-ordering the game, something I thought I wouldn't do after the pCARS 1 launch. I'm now reasonably happy that pCARS 2 will launch in a much better state.

Standard Edition £45 on Steam.

The Standard Edition includes:
The Full Game
The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
​ - Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
​ - Honda Project 2&4
​ - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
​ - Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX

Deluxe Edition on Steam £70:

The Deluxe Edition Includes:
The Full Game
The Season Pass
The Japanese Car Pack, featuring
​ - Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R
​ - Honda Project 2&4
​ - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A
​ - Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX
The Motorsports Pack, featuring​
- Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44
- Panoz Esperante GTR-1
- Audi V8 DTM
- Opel Astra TCR

The standard edition can be had from CD Keys for £32.50, so less than half of the price of the Deluxe Edition (which isn't available from CD Keys).

What is the Season Pass likely to include, because that's a big bloody difference?

danowat

Banned
What is the Season Pass likely to include, because that's a big bloody difference?

Season Pass holders will gain access to four upcoming DLC car packs (for the price of three), with each pack containing: eight new cars, new tracks, liveries and new career events.

So 4 DLC packs, not sure what those will contain though.

Mascot

So 4 DLC packs, not sure what those will contain though.

So, at LEAST four new tracks and at LEAST 32 new cars?

And you only get the first four packs for the season pass? After that, they charge?

And you only get effectively four packs for the price of three? Hardly terrific value on the face of it.

All seems a bit vague (like most season passes) but it doesn't seem like the difference is likely to be £37.50's worth (£70 minus £32.50).

TLDR: FUCK season passes and preorder bonuses.

Edit: found this too.

The Season Pass: Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge

...which is even MORE vague.

EctoPrime

I'm gonna start up Project CARS 1 on my PC with a wheel and pedals for the first time, vroom vroom! Hopefully I can get some good races in against the CPU, and alright visuals with a GTX 780, i5 4670K 4C/4T and 16GB of RAM.

You can get over 100 frames of alright visuals in 1080p with a first generation i5 and 750 ti. So I would imagine your machine is capable of doing much better.

Care to share? I'm still running defaults after moving to PC recently so still have that weird centre-sprung feel like I'm playing with a £10 bungee wheel.
Download the Jack Spade Tweaker files, use the files from "classic bumps plus" profile and configure the global settings exactly according the Jack Spade OP (with soft-clipping, I always used the one without soft-clipping before), then lower dead-zone removal a bit and now the most important part: instead of playing with stuff like tire force or whatever, play only with the scoop settings, I have .77 and .15 which makes the lower forces stronger than what the Jack Spade settings suggest. My tip would be find a lower setting that lets you feel bumps and undulations on straights and flaot out corners well, then dial in the higher forces value to your liking. Feeling forces near the center constantly helps feel slight changes more and makes it easier to react in time if countersteering will be necessary. The gradient from low to strong still feels kinda bad compared to other sims, but I never had this level of confidence in pCARS driving before these ffb settings. Before I always used a little SoP to get a better ffb feel in pCARS, but SoP is a last-gen sim-lite solution really, what you actually want is a good tire model and ffb from pure self-aligning torque calculated through the physically modeled suspension. Feel exactly what a real steering wheel would put out and get the yaw-angle/SoP from camera movement.

Pachimari

You can get over 100 frames of alright visuals in 1080p with a first generation i5 and 750 ti. So I would imagine your machine is capable of doing much better.
This sounds really nice. I checked the settings and it does seem I can pull off high quality settings.

Anyway, a much more annoying problem I am having now is, that the game doesn't seem to detect my Logitech G29 + pedals + shifter at all. I've chosen the wheel in settings but nothing registers when I go to calibrate or even try out a race. I can't get it to work in Euro Truck Simulator 2 either, so for some reason, I think I haven't set it up the correct way?

I have set the button on the wheel to "PS4" and installed the Logitech Gaming Software. When I test the profile in the LGS software it does register all of my button clicks though, so my computer can detect it - just not the games.

Can someone help me out? =(

Mascot

Download the Jack Spade Tweaker files, use the files from "classic bumps plus" profile and configure the global settings exactly according the Jack Spade OP (with soft-clipping, I always used the one without soft-clipping before), then lower dead-zone removal a bit and now the most important part: instead of playing with stuff like tire force or whatever, play only with the scoop settings, I have .77 and .15 which makes the lower forces stronger than what the Jack Spade settings suggest. My tip would be find a lower setting that lets you feel bumps and undulations on straights and flaot out corners well, then dial in the higher forces value to your liking. Feeling forces near the center constantly helps feel slight changes more and makes it easier to react in time if countersteering will be necessary. The gradient from low to strong still feels kinda bad compared to other sims, but I never had this level of confidence in pCARS driving before these ffb settings. Before I always used a little SoP to get a better ffb feel in pCARS, but SoP is a last-gen sim-lite solution really, what you actually want is a good tire model and ffb from pure self-aligning torque calculated through the physically modeled suspension. Feel exactly what a real steering wheel would put out and get the yaw-angle/SoP from camera movement.

Thanks, will do.

Where can I download the tweakers? On PS4 I had to manually input all of the settings using my eyes and hands like some 18th century workhouse urchin sewing brass buttons on a toff's tunic.

Pachimari

Turn the wheel on BEFORE launching the game?
I did that. Game still won't recognize it. I can navigate around the menu with the buttons since I've set that up in the Logitech Gaming Software profile but the rest like wheel rotation, pedals and shifter it won't recognize at all when I go to calibrate.

[edit] I've now gone into Control Panel > Devices and Printers > and the G29 shows up. I right-click it > game controller settings > and calibrate it in Windows and it works.

Yet it doesn't register in any game at all.

Mascot

I did that. Game still won't recognize it. I can navigate around the menu with the buttons since I've set that up in the Logitech Gaming Software profile but the rest like wheel rotation, pedals and shifter it won't recognize at all when I go to calibrate.

[edit] I've now gone into Control Panel > Devices and Printers > and the G29 shows up. I right-click it > game controller settings > and calibrate it in Windows and it works.

Sounds very odd. This thread might be of use from the official forum:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44694-Logitech-G29-doesn-t-works-HELP!!

also:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/logitech-g29-official-support-thread.114809/

fresquito

[edit] I've now gone into Control Panel > Devices and Printers > and the G29 shows up. I right-click it > game controller settings > and calibrate it in Windows and it works. Iirc

Sounds like a Logitech device to me. Gotta love them. Make sure the Logitech profiler is not showing the Driving Force Pro.

Mascot

It seems odd that SMS have done a lot of work on having four different seasons in the game, but seem to have limited any graphical changes to the colour of the leaves and adding snow. Laguna Seca, for example, should be green and lush through the winter months, so keeping it as a beige dust bowl seems like a missed opportunity to me. I asked the question on GTP but the devs have avoided answering it, which suggests it wasn't ever considered or will never make it in. I'd have thought accuracy like this would have been one of the main reasons for having different seasons, as well as adding some much-needed visual variety to the tracks?

Pachimari

Sounds like a Logitech device to me. Gotta love them. Make sure the Logitech profiler is not showing the Driving Force Pro.
I'm not using Logitech profiler. I'm told to use Logitech Gaming Software with the G29. I created a profile on the Project Cars forums and it seems like I can't even create a thread. I also just tried deleting the drivers and installing again. Deleting the LGS software and installing again. I've tried using both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and nothing works.

I give up for the day. =(

fresquito

I'm not using Logitech profiler. I'm told to use Logitech Gaming Software with the G29. I created a profile on the Project Cars forums and it seems like I can't even create a thread. I also just tried deleting the drivers and installing again. Deleting the LGS software and installing again. I've tried using both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and nothing works.

I give up for the day. =(
I sold all my Logitech hardware because of problems like these. I'm sorry for you. Good luck!

paskowitz

Sure I would love it if you guys used any of my pics for the OT. Feel free to take any from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/sets/72157687605088095

My flickr contact kelnor34 has some really great shots as well: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53153983@N03/albums/72157686218165785

I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you asked him to use some of his. Here's a few of his shots that are my favorites:

36461974435_89eb497920_b.jpg

36570648875_6a0c4d5456_b.jpg

36256939352_3b52e3bf05_b.jpg

35503980174_ffd0a8d08f_b.jpg

35878734923_7ac6aa6794_b.jpg

35880905440_6d233485a4_b.jpg

While I don't think pCARS 2 is as visually "accurate" or "photo-realistic" as GT Sport, it is unequivocally impressive. I think the environments are actually better, but the lighting/reflections still have a hint of that "gamey" look to it (similar to Forza).

I think the big win for pCARS 2 is going to be the weather. 4 seasons is going to add sooooo much to the gameplay.

Thanks, will do.

Where can I download the tweakers? On PS4 I had to manually input all of the settings using my eyes and hands like some 18th century workhouse urchin sewing brass buttons on a toff's tunic.
Late, but here you go:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files
There is a zip-file link at the middle of the explanation page.
The global settings need to be entered manually as explained on the pCARS forum, with what I suggested above in mind; the downloadable files are for individual ffb settings of all the cars.

While I don't think pCARS 2 is as visually "accurate" or "photo-realistic" as GT Sport, it is unequivocally impressive. I think the environments are actually better, but the lighting/reflections still have a hint of that "gamey" look to it (similar to Forza).
Yes. Especially pic 4 could have fooled me for Forza 6/7, pic 5 too for forza 7. But I do like how forza looks. Still, just like you, I prefer GTS, but I don't mind Forza's aesthetic - I always called it a bit "hollywood". More Rush than live TV. What I hate is when individual style goes too far to show off like some scenarios in driveclub, where I can't see shit anymore because of all the desaturation, overexposure, sun-flare blinding and wet road reflections (that you can't see a thing from rain and spray on the windshield is probably realistic, but it rains way too often in that game).

Pachimari

So I went ahead and created a thread (since I just got my profile activated) at the official Project Cars forum, and the solution is so fucking stupid. Goddammit Valve. I had to untick everything in Steam's settings > controller > general controller settings and now I can calibrate both my wheel and brake/throttle pedals (although not my clutch).

[edit] So I've had a few races and I can't actually turn my car properly wtf. I turn my wheel but the car almost don't turn on corners. Do I need to change the dead zone or wheel sensitivity in settings?

Mascot

I think I'm gonna pass on the Deluxe Edition. The main game already has a lot of content and I think I'd rather cherry-pick the DLC in case they pull another Ruapuna on us (or a broken - still broken - Silverstone Classic). I've got a feeling that the DLC tracks will be ones I can already race in Assetto Corsa anyway, even in modded form. Crikey, I've got an absolute abundance of excellent tracks in Assetto Corsa and I still only tend to use Le Mans, Road America, Spa and Monza because those are so fucking good in VR.

I really hate to be that guy, but that's not a 288 GTO, it's a 308 GTB.

To put it in perspective, you can buy a 308 GTB for ~$50k, whereas 288 GTO's go for $2-3 million...although there is this video of a 288 GTO being 'rallied' by Taxtherich(Enzo/F40/Rolls Royce rally videos): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKm-wcxkl5U
How do you even spot the difference(edit: see it now, bumper and skirts make it easy)?? *-* Thanks for correcting me.
That the 288 GTO was built for Gr. B should be correct though, I remember that from some documentary, when I wondered how Ferrari thought that would work without AWD.

Grassy

How do you even spot the difference(edit: see it now, bumper and skirts make it easy)?? *-* Thanks for correcting me.
That the 288 GTO was built for Gr. B should be correct though, I remember that from some documentary, when I wondered how Ferrari thought that would work without AWD.

They do share a few design traits but I guess the main reason I noticed is because I had a big poster of the 288 GTO on my bedroom wall as a kid(and still have it). You're right in that it was initially built for Group B rallying, from the wiki page:
The Ferrari GTO was built to compete in the new Group B Race series and a minimum of 200 cars were required for homologation. However, after the death of Henri Toivonen and his co-driver Sergio Cresto in the 1986 Tour de Corse, the FIA disestablished the class, leaving just the Group A Rally championship. As a result, the GTO never raced and all 272 cars built remained purely road cars.

They do share a few design traits but I guess the main reason I noticed is because I had a big poster of the 288 GTO on my bedroom wall as a kid(and still have it). You're right in that it was initially built for Group B rallying, from the wiki page:

I feel a little excused now, for not knowing the difference. I knew that not everything that looks like a 288 GTO is a 288 GTO, since Higgins surely wouldn't give a 2 million dollar car to Magnum :D

Also, I could have sworn you needed 400 produced cars for Gr. B, not 200. Looked it up now, 400 was necessary before Group B, when the Groups still had numbers.
Also the Group B article suggests that the 288 GTO and Porsche 959 would have been alone in the 4000cc/1100kg class, which seems to have been designated for track use. In my mind Group B only was a rally thing, but on paper it's just another homologation class like Group C as well, not something rally specific at all. Though the Porsche 959 definitely had a rally variant and I do remember that the 288 GTO was mentioned in that rally documentary I mentioned earlier. *shrugs*

Mascot

Now that the game has gone gold I wonder just how complete and bug-free it is right now, and how much furious work is going on behind the scenes on the day one patch. I'm guessing the patch has to be finished by the middle of September to give reviewers a week with the game before release day, so that leaves just two weeks from today for final tweaking and polishing. Eek!

danowat

Banned
It's been gold for a while now. GT Planet, I think.
SMS aren't sending out review code until the day one patch is complete because it fixes a whole host of issues, apparently.

Looking forward to seeing how it's received, both by the media and the players.

Still not sure whether to go for it day one, or wait.

Mascot

Looking forward to seeing how it's received, both by the media and the players.

I think it'll be received very well, judging by the positive simracing YouTuber previews that are apparently based on quite old and buggy press code.

90+ on Metacritic, easily.

danowat

Banned
I think it'll be received very well, judging by the positive simracing YouTuber previews that are apparently based on quite old and buggy press code.

If that's the case, it'll be racing game of the generation then.

Mascot

If that's the case, it'll be racing game of the generation then.

I think it'll do it. pCARS got around 83% and pCARS 2's got enough new features, has reportedly fixed a whole bunch of issues with the first game, has more cars, more tracks, and two more disciplines. And apparently is better optimised so runs better on all hardware compared with pCARS 1, despite the extra load from Livetrack 3.0.

Hell, the useable joypad controls alone should be worth an extra 5% by themselves..!

It'll be interesting to see how FM7 and GTS compare in the murky minds of reviewers.

On PS4 and playing on a controller, I'd wait for review impressions from outlets with reviewers that have lots of racing game and sim experience and play with a pad on console.

... ... ... waaait a second. You're probably waiting and Mascot isn't getting the standard edition. Am I the only one here who's pre-ordering Deluxe? But I'm the pessimistic critic guy, wtf.
It'll be interesting to see how FM7 and GTS compare in the murky minds of reviewers.

We really need to make this "predict metacritic and first week sales numbers of GTS/FM7/PC2"-thread. It'll be so much fun ;D

FM7 and GTS will have leaderboards that show more or less all players (first all-assists race in FM and first License test in GTS), if pCARS2 has a similar mandatory one, we could accumulate each platform's leaderboard entries and get a pretty overview. Better than going off NPD sales or so.

Fox Mulder

I really wish it had a demo. This has looked great in streams and it is way more ambitious than forza. I'll still wait for reviews and I cancelled my fm7 preorder after Turn 10 showed all they have.

I will certainly pick this up eventually, but the buggy mess that pcars 1 was does have me hesitating. Given that f1 and forza are out in the same timeframe I'm waiting until pcars 2 is confirmed to be relatively bug free. Those two will keep me occupied. My last race in pcars 1 had me lose the gt championship because my pit crew put flat tires on my car during a pit stop.... that was the last straw.

Can´t wait for the predict the score/sales thread. Also, can´t wait for the game.

It smells like a 90+ MC.

It covers all the bases, good previews and stuff. Can´t see many things getting in the way. Maybe some bugs and some journalists who can´t drive for shit, other than that, it will review better than GTS and Forza.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The fact that it doesn't have 500+ cars or bowling means we are looking at low 80s. Come on folks, you aren't new to games journalism

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
How can I expect the performance to be on my I7 3770, 8GB DDR3 & Nvidia 980 Ti? Is 1080p 60fps High settings with FXAA or any other sort of anti-aliasing reasonable?

Mascot

How can I expect the performance to be on my I7 3770, 8GB DDR3 & Nvidia 980 Ti? Is 1080p 60fps High settings with FXAA or any other sort of anti-aliasing reasonable?
You should be fine. On a single screen I could run pCARS at 2k/60 with a high/ultra mix on my i5 6600k & 980Ti, both stock.

PCARS 2 is supposed to be better optimised, too.

Top Bottom