• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
Kyaw said:
It's sort of like minecraft. You test the game out, provide feedback, comment on what you want in the game and if enough people want it then it will be put in.

The minimum toolpack is 10 euros.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/tool-packs-perks-and-fees-101/

You get the final game for free too. (I think, it could also be the last build before retail release)
You will be paid back your 10,25 or whatever euros you have put in when the game goes on sale and if it sell more than 250k, you'll get some profit too!
Pazuzu9 said:
Pazuzu9 said:
Aha. So you need to pay at least €25 to become a Team Member, then you'll get the game for free. But what if you just pay €10 to be a Junior? You're just paying for a demo?

I looked at the website, and I'm still not certain whether you get the final game when it's released or not, at the junior level. Any confirmation for sure would be appreciated.

Branson

Kyaw said:
It's sort of like minecraft. You test the game out, provide feedback, comment on what you want in the game and if enough people want it then it will be put in.

The minimum toolpack is 10 euros.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/tool-packs-perks-and-fees-101/

You get the final game for free too. (I think, it could also be the last build before retail release)
You will be paid back your 10,25 or whatever euros you have put in when the game goes on sale and if it sell more than 250k, you'll get some profit too!
That sounds pretty great. I might try it out later. How big is the download?

Blizzard said:
I looked at the website, and I'm still not certain whether you get the final game when it's released or not, at the junior level. Any confirmation for sure would be appreciated.
It says you have to be a Team Member in order to get the game. So €25 minimum. And as fresquito said, you can upgrade your Junior status to Team Member at any time.

I just tried it... I'm getting what must be about 5fps at 1280x800 with all details turned right the way down or off. I'm on a laptop, which is hardly a beast, but it should be doing better than this - i7, GT540M. It runs every game I throw at it, usually at a higher res than that. The car rendering in the menu is smooth, so I guess it's a major bug, or they've severely underestimated the system requirements...

Good point. :)

Also... I was rather surprised to hear.... the wailing guitar theme from GTR in the menus.... I know SMS were involved with those guys but isn't that property of Simbin?

This could change the industry, i must be a part of this, i really hope that with time they build a proper career with normal production cars as well as race cars.

Honestly the future looks so bright for this project, more people need to know about it.

"start was webberish" HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHEHHUHUEUHE

:drool ai cars. can't wait to go to and then get off work again to play around with this he he he... bu bu bu

Blizzard

Banned
I really like the project and funding idea. I hopped on at the team member level (about $36 USD). Bleah paypal, but at least it seemed to work with a credit card without an account being required!

Also, according to this from the website:
For the price of the minimum Tool Pack therefore, you'll be able to see the game being made, speak directly to the developers, and play a new version of the game each month.

Then, when the game is released you'll receive a free copy and potentially money back based on its success and your position in the company.
It SOUNDS like you get a free copy of the game when it is released even at the junior level. *shrug*

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
zephervack said:
This could change the industry, i must be a part of this, i really hope that with time they build a proper career with normal production cars as well as race cars.

Honestly the future looks so bright for this project, more people need to know about it.

more people should know about this project so its future could look bright.

my money go towards it instead of Rage.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This looks good. But are there any plans to put multiplayer in a future build? Also, how many camera views can you choose from

isamu said:
This looks good. But are there any plans to put multiplayer in a future build? Also, how many camera views can you choose from

Of course there are.

There are 4 views, cockpit, hood, bumper, and behind. More views could always be suggested to them as well. They are VERY open to suggestions (that's one of the basic ideas of this project).

R1CHO

isamu said:

Wheel, hood, bumper, external... but you can change fov and other settings for all of them.

Also you can deactivate the wheel, and just see the interior of the car:

No hands makes less sense than no wheel. Simbin's games had a no wheel option, so maybe some left over code they're using? Still, it is my preferred setting. Why on earth would I want to look at someone else's hands on the wheel that I'm not holding?

For those who can set up their driving positions in front of a big screen (or multiple screens) properly, you should be able to have your FFB wheel in the right position for where the wheel should be in the cockpit. Then there's absolutely no need for hands or wheel on the screen.

I find it very difficult to use console sim's interior views for this reason, particularly as they don't match 1-to-1 on the 900 degree rotation.

I just like seeing a wheel even if I'm using my own. I'm not looking at my wheel, I'm looking at the screen, so by having a wheel in the cockpit I can judge some finer adjustments etc on corners and whatnot.

It is kinda weird I look at the fake wheel rather than my real one, but it feels more connected to the car in-game!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just like seeing a wheel even if I'm using my own. I'm not looking at my wheel, I'm looking at the screen, so by having a wheel in the cockpit I can judge some finer adjustments etc on corners and whatnot.

It is kinda weird I look at the fake wheel rather than my real one, but it feels more connected to the car in-game!
That seems strange, I'm the complete opposite. I specifically don't want to look at another wheel, as it throws me off, particularly in 30fps console games where there is enormous lag between my wheel and the on-screen wheel. You shouldn't need to look at an on-screen wheel to make fine adjustments. You should be looking ahead, and feeling the car through the wheel. To be honest I avoid looking at both wheels.

I don't stare at the wheel in-game but, say, on the hairpin in Monaco I sometimes notice that my wheel isn't quite far enough around so I do a slight adjustment to ensure I get around on the best line.

It's 95% feedback and looking at track position, but not having a wheel to glance at every now and again would really throw me. Even when I'm not using it for adjustments I just like seeing a wheel in-game mimicking my actions, makes it feel like I'm driving the car more.

Have you ever tried a game without an on screen wheel? Honestly it should be just as easy to make adjustments by just watching your line. And if you must look at the angle of a wheel for the Monaco hairpin, there's the one you're holding.

Kyaw

Superior bumper view/hood cam race reporting in! :p

I do like racing in cockpit views if done right such as iRacing cockpits.
I like to have the animated wheel sometimes just because i like looking at the animation upon track feedback etc but i mostly have it turned off when i can since it's a distraction.

fresquito

This post is from mclaren777, who's been banned and cannot post it himself.

mclaren777:

First, I want to apologize to everyone for getting myself banned. I was unintentionally disrespectful in the Steve Jobs thread and I don't fault the moderator for pulling the trigger on my account. The ban will be lifted on December 5th.

Anyway, now to the C.A.R.S. stuff. I wish I could have been around to make this thread because I have tons of material to share. But for now, perhaps these images and the PDF can be added to the OP.

Design Doc

itcxKFqk11xKz.jpg

irBceoniiqoeK.jpg

ibvJHft28B9LPI.jpg

i0KTELqXsy0c3.jpg

And finally, my impressions...

My computer has a stock-clock 2600K and a stock-clock GTX 460. I get 50-70fps at 1080p running with 4x AA, 8x AS, and most settings on either high or medium.

The physics are really solid for being alpha software but it can take some minor tweaks to bring out the true magic. I use a G27 and I've included my settings for people who may want to try them (see below). I'd put this sim up there with rFactor in terms of physics accuracy and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. It may not be as accurate as netKar Pro or iRacing, but I find it far more entertaining.

The graphics are spectacular for this stage of early development. Some effects could definitely use some work (heat haze, motion blur, etc). In fact, I've turned motion blur off, though you can see it in the three images below (set to Medium).

The AI that was added yesterday is really erratic but that's to be expected. The attributes below will be in the final build of the game so I think the AI will actually be quite good.

- Intelligence
- Racing Ability
- Qualifying Ability
- Passing
- Stamina
- Defending
- Risk Taking
- Aggression
- Adrenalin
- Pressure
- Concentration
- Randomness
- Mistakes
- Grudges
- Antagonist

imIci0adm6Poj.jpg

i0452Vc1Dttdg.jpg

iHzLAL48vHv4R.jpg

i2zTYbJlECzHA.jpg

fresquito

I don't see the wrong here. It's a post that can be very productive for the thread, as it adds documents that haven't been posted. Anyway, I guess mods will do their work anyway...

markao

Let see if I can add the additional info in to the OP, as I did not start thread (I mean it was split/moved.)

[works] ;)

Blizzard

Banned
I need to look up how to change to a behind-the-car cam, I guess. I only tried one quick solo race so far, but whatever car it put me in had a very restrictive window. I want one of the open-top kart cars instead of a closed-in car, or else I'd like an outside view.

markao

Blizzard said:
I need to look up how to change to a behind-the-car cam, I guess. I only tried one quick solo race so far, but whatever car it put me in had a very restrictive window. I want one of the open-top kart cars instead of a closed-in car, or else I'd like an outside view.
look in the options menu, (controls (press f-->configure)) which button you have assigned to "cycle camera view" and use it ;)

Blizzard

Banned
markao said:
look in the options menu, (controls (press f-->configure)) which button you have assigned to "cycle camera view" and use it ;)
Thanks, I found it. I tried with a 360 controller and got about 30-35 fps with an e8400 and a 5850 with the default settings. There were at least two odd things I noticed:

1. The steering wheel would sometimes bounce back and forth really quickly. Is this a glitch or something realistic because I wasn't actively steering correctly?

2. Responsiveness to the 360 controller, at least with X and Y, seemed VERY lagged. Like, hitting the reverse view seemed to take about half a second, and steering/throttle seemed a bit lagged though maybe not that bad. Does rear-view work instantly for everyone else? Any ideas to reduce control lag?

fresquito

Blizzard said:
Thanks, I found it. I tried with a 360 controller and got about 30-35 fps with an e8400 and a 5850 with the default settings. There were at least two odd things I noticed:

1. The steering wheel would sometimes bounce back and forth really quickly. Is this a glitch or something realistic because I wasn't actively steering correctly?

2. Responsiveness to the 360 controller, at least with X and Y, seemed VERY lagged. Like, hitting the reverse view seemed to take about half a second, and steering/throttle seemed a bit lagged though maybe not that bad. Does rear-view work instantly for everyone else? Any ideas to reduce control lag?
Input lag is being worked. Rear view is quite fast for me, not instant, but fast. Looking to the side on the other hand is very slow (this have been said and we've been told they will look into it).

About camera position, you can change it with WASD on the fly (at least those are the default keys for the DFGT).

Frawdder

Put a few laps in just now. There is something really off with the steering, not sure if it's input lag but there isn't any precision in the steering on my end. Feels really sluggish. Some people in the forums are having mixed experiences as far as steering goes it seems, so hopefully the devs can sort that stuff out.

Once they sort out the steering I think this could be a solid game. But it's still very early days, let's not forget that. I'm optimistic for the future of this project.

Lyon

Nobody spit on me, but is there an option for mouse steering? My wheel died, and I'm really very interested in this project.

markao

Blizzard said:

And to add to what fresquito mentioned, your throttle is not modeled as in other games (linear), but like it is in a real car. So it slowly build up revs and than keeps building up even if you keep it at same position. (hope you understand what I meant :oops: )

@Lyon, no idea

Blizzard

Banned
Someone on this page has a jpg hosted at minus.com that is being blocked by antivirus...might be a false alarm, but still, heads up.

Lucius86

Banned
Just did a 1.25.5 at Imola, with definitely room for improvement.

Damn this thing is awesome. Even though it's a sim, I have confidence in the car unlike F1 2011. It's brilliant.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
Just did a 1.25.5 at Imola, with definitely room for improvement.

Damn this thing is awesome. Even though it's a sim, I have confidence in the car unlike F1 2011. It's brilliant.
What!? That's batshit! I feel much more confident in 2011 than I do in this, in this I'm scared of the throttle - though that could be because my throttle doesn't register until its half depressed.

Oh and I guess the difference in feel could be because of F1 vs Formula B

Orgun said:
What!? That's batshit! I feel much more confident in 2011 than I do in this, in this I'm scared of the throttle - though that could be because my throttle doesn't register until its half depressed.

Oh and I guess the difference in feel could be because of F1 vs Formula B
I feel more confident in 2011 too, but I think that's just because it's relatively piss easy in comparison, haha.

Top Bottom