• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Lucius86

Banned
1.24.8 after another 7 laps. Seriously, I am in love. No joke, the confidence I have with this Formula B car pisses all over F1 2011 easily.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
1.24.8 after another 7 laps. Seriously, I am in love. No joke, the confidence I have with this Formula B car pisses all over F1 2011 easily.

It's just because you couldn't get your head around the two extra buttons for DRS and KERS isnt it? :D

fresquito

Orgun said:
What!? That's batshit! I feel much more confident in 2011 than I do in this, in this I'm scared of the throttle - though that could be because my throttle doesn't register until its half depressed.

Oh and I guess the difference in feel could be because of F1 vs Formula B
I had this problem. Go to controls menu and set brakes and throttle. I have a DFGT and even when the axxis was correct, it only uses half of it by default. Once this changes, driving is much more forgiving (and gratifying).

Lately I haven't been able to play too much. Today I've played 74 build for the first time and somehow it feels better. I don't know why, but it feels better. I did 1,27,x at Imola. There're lots of turns that I still don't really know how to take, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Now having played many sims doesn't help either.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun and the AI is entertaining in its own way. Kind of retarded, but entertaining nonetheless. I think it's a very good starting point.

Orgun

fresquito said:
I had this problem. Go to controls menu and set brakes and throttle. I have a DFGT and even when the axxis was correct, it only uses half of it by default. Once this changes, driving is much more forgiving (and gratifying).

Lately I haven't been able to play too much. Today I've played 74 build for the first time and somehow it feels better. I don't know why, but it feels better. I did 1,27,x at Imola. There're lots of turns that I still don't really know how to take, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Now having played many sims doesn't help either.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun and the AI is entertaining in its own way. Kind of retarded, but entertaining nonetheless. I think it's a very good starting point.

What did you set brakes and throttle to? I tried messing with them a bit but couldnt find a setting that worked.

fresquito

Orgun said:
What did you set brakes and throttle to? I tried messing with them a bit but couldnt find a setting that worked.
That's not what I mean. When you go to controls, select configure buttons. Then go to Throttle and Brakes and set the buttons you want to use, pedals in this case. From then on, the game registers them to their fullest instead of only the second half. The game recognises the pedals by default, but for some odd reason, the vanilla configuration is set so it only registers the second 50% of the pedals. That's why you have to overwrite it.

On the other options I have set 10 in both sensitivity and 0 in dead zones. I hope that helps.

Kyaw

Oh my gawd you guys...

Can you guys post the steering wheel settings please?
I have quite a bit of lag in steering and throttle inputs.

fresquito

gragy10 said:
Tempted to jump on this when/if Steam refund me for the F1 2011 clusterfuck tho looks like a wheel is mandatory
I don't think you will have any problem with that. Me and a friend of mine got the refund without any problem. I'd recommend you the Team Member, although remember that you can sign as a Junior and upgrade at any time by paying the difference.

Blizzard

Banned
Kyaw said:
Oh my gawd you guys...

Can you guys post the steering wheel settings please?
I have quite a bit of lag in steering and throttle inputs.
I had lag too, at least with the different vision options (looking behind you etc.), possibly also with controls. Hopefully it's something they can just find and fix. If not, I guess we have to donate $25,000 and jump into their meetings to bug them about it. Though technically I guess team members can create forum threads...maybe?

gragy10 said:
Tempted to jump on this when/if Steam refund me for the F1 2011 clusterfuck tho looks like a wheel is mandatory
I signed onto the project to support it even though I don't have a wheel and am not a big racing person. For what it's worth, it automatically detects, maps, and supports a wired 360 controller, so you can probably play it that way if you wish. For that matter you can even steer with the arrow keys, but that's NOT advised. =P

Kyaw

I definitely don't have the confidence i had in iRacing, F1 2011 or GT5... o_O

Everything just wants to spin and kill me in a horrible roll.

Lucius86

Banned
I love how suddenly we all start going hammer and tongs at this :D

If I wasn't go out tonight, I would be destroying this game.

Dilly

Banned
Build 74 is out and has some Formula B tweaks, I feel like I can really push the thing now.

Just did a 1.23.045

Kyaw said:
I definitely don't have the confidence i had in iRacing, F1 2011 or GT5... o_O

Everything just wants to spin and kill me in a horrible roll.
Treat it like a woman.

Slow and gentle at first. Faster as you get more confidence. Really stick it to her when you know your way around.

I couldn't do shit at first but I fly around now. I still spin a lot, but I can always identify what I did wrong.

Kyaw

I admit i only just had one go at it last night before going to bed.

Going on it now! (getting build74 first)
Also the car details are almost like GT5 levels.

Kyaw

Also, you guys should try out the Lotus F1 with the turbo.

It's absolutely bonkers. The acceleration is INSANE!

Dilly

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Wow, very impressive!

Any chance of a vid or two??

I'll upload a new one tomorrow.

I can really push the thing through corners now with build 74, fastest lap 1.22.1xx.

fresquito

Dilly said:
I'll upload a new one tomorrow.

I can really push the thing through corners now with build 74, fastest lap 1.22.1xx.
¡Pero qué locura es esta!

And I'm happy because I did 1,26,4xx...

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, I just noticed the "discounted items" thing in the tier list. Have they announced if they are planning microtransactions/paid DLC?

At any rate, I think I am going to make a silly challenge if anyone in this thread is interested, assuming Evilore/mods don't mind. Can someone (the OP?) volunteer to track how many GAF people have signed up for the project, and what their level is? Here's the deal:

If enough GAF people sign up to total 1000 euros ($1366 USD or so), at whatever level, I will match that by upgrading my own account to the 1000 euro level. Then if any graphics people at GAF can chip in, we can get our own billboard, livery, and so forth. I don't know how the discounted items and track day stuff will work, but presumably that bonus might be something that works for everyone.

Anyway, if no one is interested, that's fine and I'll save money, but if anyone is interested, it would take 100 junior member accounts, or 40 team member accounts to reach the goal. Thoughts, anyone?

fresquito

The business model is F2P with DLC. That's as far as I know. You get a free copy of the game, but that's a bit silly, considering the game is F2P, so I asume all Team Members get all the content for free. That said, maybe the DLC that hits down the line will not be for free... I don't know. I should ask :-/

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
The business model is F2P with DLC. That's as far as I know. You get a free copy of the game, but that's a bit silly, considering the game is F2P, so I asume all Team Members get all the content for free. That said, maybe the DLC that hits down the line will not be for free... I don't know. I should ask :-/
Interesting. We should inquire how they plan to pay back based on sales, then, since "sales" would not correspond to normal sales in that case.

fresquito

If you read carefully, they talk about equivalencies, never game sales.

Edit: I have asked what's the deal with the free copies, discounted items, etc.

Lucius86

Banned
Blizzard said:
Hmm, I just noticed the "discounted items" thing in the tier list. Have they announced if they are planning microtransactions/paid DLC?

At any rate, I think I am going to make a silly challenge if anyone in this thread is interested, assuming Evilore/mods don't mind. Can someone (the OP?) volunteer to track how many GAF people have signed up for the project, and what their level is? Here's the deal:

If enough GAF people sign up to total 1000 euros ($1366 USD or so), at whatever level, I will match that by upgrading my own account to the 1000 euro level. Then if any graphics people at GAF can chip in, we can get our own billboard, livery, and so forth. I don't know how the discounted items and track day stuff will work, but presumably that bonus might be something that works for everyone.

Anyway, if no one is interested, that's fine and I'll save money, but if anyone is interested, it would take 100 junior member accounts, or 40 team member accounts to reach the goal. Thoughts, anyone?

You have 1000 euros to spend on this? Are you sure?!? That's a lot of money....

I'm a team member too.

Blizzard

Banned
Lucius86 said:

I'm a team member too.
Maybe I don't, but don't worry, we'll never get enough GAF members to match! ;p

I don't ever really buy expensive stuff and I can work this into my budget -- since I hardly ever do stuff like this. We'll see.

fresquito

Lucius86 said:

I'm a team member too.
Well, if things go right, he will triple that money if the game makes money equivalent to 1m units sold across four platforms.

Not that I would (or can) invest that much money anyway.

Team Member here, BTW.

Kyaw

Got 1.24.xx

Time for some more practice!

Also guys, in the game, press F1

then go to Input > Force Mixing and turn everything to 'Hardware'.

This greatly improved the FFB for me.

ksimm

This looks great, though I'm unsure if a 360 controller is sufficient. Sadly my old Momo racing wheel is dead. :[

Kyaw

ksimm said:
This looks great, though I'm unsure if a 360 controller is sufficient. Sadly my old Momo racing wheel is dead. :[

You really do need a FFB wheel. It will still work fine with the 360 but to fully enjoy it, you need the wheel. :)

fresquito

My question:

So, there's a thing I don't understand about the business model we're in. The game (C.A.R.S.) will be F2P, then there will be paid DLC for those wanting more content. Okay, that's easy, then the Terms & Conditions say that Team Members will get a free copy of the game once it's released. The thing is, this is a F2P game, so a free copy of a F2P game doesn't sound that great. So I asume we're talking about the game plus all the DLC. Then there's this discounted items thing that makes things very complicated. So, what's the deal here? Do we get the game+all DLC? Do we get the game for free (everybody does)+discounted items? Then what's this free game we are talking about? And by Team Members get a free copy you mean Juniors don't get the free copy?

I think it's a bit confusing.

Andy Garton's word (Developement Director)

The final distribution method isn't decided yet, the F2P model is just one possibility. It's up to all of us to decide on the best approach as the game takes shape, as well as how the gaming market stands a year or so down the line. In terms of your return - this is quite simply a proportion of the total income generated by the game.

I don't know the answer to the "who gets a free copy" question yet, but I'll find out.

Ian Bell on the subject (Head of Studio)

What Andy said, plus the intention is to ensure that everyone gets the equivalent of a 25 Euros worth of free content come ship date regardless of the monetisation method. Your fees will of course be paid on top of this.

Thread on WMD Forums (if you're willing to take part on the discussion): http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?668-Discounts-free-to-play-free-copies...&p=8580#post8580

It definitely seems like they should've figured this out before people were able to buy in.

With that said, I don't really care what they do. As long as I get the game for free, or a fair bit of content, then it's all gravy.

Kyaw

Yeah, i don't really care much about how they are planning on monetizing it.

They've already said that if it's F2P, we'll get 25 euros worth of DLCs and if it's not F2P, we'll get the game for free. On top of that, we'll also get paid if the game sells enough copies.

Plus, the game will be built on the voices of the community and it will pretty much close to what most of the people want. It should be a great journey.

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
Thanks for looking into it. That means that the payment back to the "investors" (even though they have lots of legal wording saying it's not an "invesment") would be out of whatever monetization scheme they decide on eventually. Hopefully it works out. Worst case, everyone loses their money due to tax fraud or something. =P

Anyway, if I get some spare time I should look into the forums again. Did you happen to spot anything about input latency? I would like to at least make sure that's an issue they're aware of.

fresquito

Blizzard said:
Thanks for looking into it. That means that the payment back to the "investors" (even though they have lots of legal wording saying it's not an "invesment") would be out of whatever monetization scheme they decide on eventually. Hopefully it works out. Worst case, everyone loses their money due to tax fraud or something. =P

Anyway, if I get some spare time I should look into the forums again. Did you happen to spot anything about input latency? I would like to at least make sure that's an issue they're aware of.
Yeah, it's one of the hot topics. They're well aware about input lag and are working hard to get rid of it.

Top Bottom