• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Draco - New kinect game by Yukio Futatsugi (Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust)

kadotsu

Banned
Zabka said:
Why wouldn't it be able to simulate reins? It can do steering wheels (somewhat well), and reins wouldn't need to be that accurate.

And by voice commands I mean things used by people riding animals in real life.

Ok, lets look how reins work IRL. You apply force to a rein to make your horse behave a certain way. Kinect could simulate that you would miss the force and tactile feedback but the motions would be almost the same.
The problem is idling. IRL reins are idling when you don't apply force to them. It doesn't matter where your hands are as long as you don't apply any force. In Kinect you would have to remain in a fixed idle position for it to simply do nothing. And since you most likely will have to stand to experience this game your hands will jitter a non-insignificant ammount. This could lead to false positive inputs and this is the point where a good game could slip into Lair territory.
To balance that out the devs could use only very broad movements for input but this will get very annoying over time.

Alx

kadotsu said:
The problem is idling. IRL reins are idling when you don't apply force to them. It doesn't matter where your hands are as long as you don't apply any force. In Kinect you would have to remain in a fixed idle position for it to simply do nothing.

Why so ? As long as you're not in a key control position, it's not difficult for the software to read it as a "do nothing" command. Actually that's what it would probably do if you don't code it into the game at all.

kadotsu said:
And since you most likely will have to stand to experience this game

If you don't need your feet to command the dragon (and I doubt you will), then I'm sure the game will be played seated.

Zabka

kadotsu said:
Ok, lets look how reins work IRL. You apply force to a rein to make your horse behave a certain way. Kinect could simulate that you would miss the force and tactile feedback but the motions would be almost the same.
The problem is idling. IRL reins are idling when you don't apply force to them. It doesn't matter where your hands are as long as you don't apply any force. In Kinect you would have to remain in a fixed idle position for it to simply do nothing. And since you most likely will have to stand to experience this game your hands will jitter a non-insignificant ammount. This could lead to false positive inputs and this is the point where a good game could slip into Lair territory.
To balance that out the devs could use only very broad movements for input but this will get very annoying over time.
If you're simulating reins then there would be a dead zone of hand movement in front of the body that doesn't pull the reins taut, just like in real life.

And going by the video, I definitely agree that you will be standing. There's probably going to be some foot action for control too.

kadotsu

Banned
Zabka said:
If you're simulating reins then there would be a dead zone of hand movement in front of the body that doesn't pull the reins taut, just like in real life.

And going by the video, I definitely agree that you will be standing. There's probably going to be some foot action for control too.

What I am getting at is this.

Real life input pattern set A:

(set of all correct gestures) AND (force applied)

Kinect input pattern B:

(set of all correct gestures)

A is a strict subset of B which means B will accept inputs that A wouldn't. Doesn't mean the game won't work or be fun. Just that Kinect can't simulate reins.

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
The staff are pretty significant.

Director: Yukio Futatsugi
Concept Artist: Manabu Kusunoki
Lead Designer: Tomohiro Kondo

Those are the 3 main creators of Panzer Dragoon right there. It's not just Futatsugi, but he has somehow managed to reunite the core creative staff to make a new.... Kinect game. Well, whatever!
Oh shit.

Between the concept art and the staff....I'm fucked.

Zabka said:

The video? What video? A cinematic that is not representative of the gameplay will give you any hint about the controls? You didn't learned anything about cinematics, from PSX era? I suppose that you expected FF VIII to be a very cool swordfighting simulator.

If you know anything about riding, you'll know that you direct the head of the animal (the dragon, in this case). That reins mecanism won't allow something as basic as moving in one direction, shooting in another. In the cinematic (or in fantasy worlds) they ride a dragon like they ride a horse. That won't work because pulling the reins, instead of slow the animal, will steer up (and, by the way, there is no steer down possibility, with "horse" reins), because dragons move in 3 axis, instead of 2. Don't try to look for a "realistic dragon riding" kinect control pattern, when they are not riding dragons in any realistic way.

Again, there is no way that kinect can defeat that configuration:

Left analog to move your dragon in any of the x,y axis
Right analog to use as a pointer to aim.
Triggers to control the speed (and, pressing both, avoiding movements like barrel rolls, combined with the direction of the left analog).
Shoulders, or buttons, to shoot or make different kind of attacks.

Zabka

DangerousDave said:
The video? What video? A cinematic that is not representative of the gameplay will give you any hint about the controls? You didn't learned anything about cinematics, from PSX era? I suppose that you expected FF VIII to be a very cool swordfighting simulator.

If you know anything about riding, you'll know that you direct the head of the animal (the dragon, in this case). That reins mecanism won't allow something as basic as moving in one direction, shooting in another. In the cinematic (or in fantasy worlds) they ride a dragon like they ride a horse. That it won't work because pulling the reins, instead of slow the animal, will steer up (and, by the way, there is no steer down possibility, with "horse" reins). Don't try to look for a "realistic dragon riding" kinect control pattern, when they are not riding dragons in any realistic way.

Again, there is no way that kinect can defeat that configuration:

Left analog to move your dragon in any of the x,y axis
Right analog to use as a pointer to aim.
Triggers to control the speed (and, pressing both, avoiding movements like barrel rolls, combined with the direction of the left analog).
Shoulders, or buttons, to shoot or make different kind of attacks.
Are you mental? I said you'll be standing because the riders are standing in the video. Since every other Kinect game requires standing I don't think that's a huge leap in logic.

And considering that you're attacking me for making assumptions based on the teaser, you are making a whole lot of control assumptions based on nothing.

"They are not riding dragons in any realistic way" is the funniest thing I've read all week.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Man, all I know is that I do not want to stand around my living room pretending I'm riding a mythical beast.

Fuck Kinect. This isn't how Panzer Dragoon should stay alive.

Zabka said:
Are you mental? I said you'll be standing because the riders are standing in the video. Since every other Kinect game requires standing I don't think that's a huge leap in logic.

The logic is you'll be standing because of every other kinect game requires standing. The trailer doesn't matter. Again, in Sonic Free Riders, Sonic is running. And the previews don't show the player running.

Zabka said:
"They are not riding dragons in any realistic way" is the funniest thing I've read all week.

Yeah, I know, there are dragons and dragons don't exist. But you still say it that playing it simulating reins is more... realistic than using a controller.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So Microsoft was like

"shit, everyone in the enthusiast press and on the message boards thinks Kinect is a huge pile of shit."

"Well, it kind of is, sir... So... what do we about it?"

"Get Japan on the phone"

21eqc77.jpg

Kafel

Banned
It's not ok to post your disappointment if a game is announced for the Wii.

It's ok to do it for Kinect though. Mods can even type your message and post it without a fee.

Kafel said:
It's not ok to post your disappointment if a game is announced for the Wii.

It's ok to do it for Kinect though. Mods can even type your message and post it without a fee.
Yeah man, Amir0x has never said an unkind word about the Wii.

Many of you dudes might not have faith in Kinect, but I'll trust in talent at the top of titles, like this one, to know what they can do to make a fun and engaging experience using the interface. Doubt the tech all you want, but I think it's best to temper that doubt associated with the control method by looking at the fact that these obviously smart and experienced developers are investing their time and efforts into these interface-specific titles willingly. I don't expect that they would commit without confidence in being successful at producing something of high quality.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
They were all moneyhatted into being Micro$oft's bitches, dude.

I can't see if you're serious.

Do you really believe that all those japanese devs called to Microsoft to ask about making a Kinect game?

Dragon

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Mods can even say fuck you to people who disagree with them. But that's fine, this is NeoFAQs

And you're on here. Posting. Even though you find it less than satisfactory. So please shut up about the state of modding. It serves no purpose.

Lag bitches!

DangerousDave said:
I can't see if you're serious.

Do you really believe that all those japanese devs called to Microsoft to ask about making a Kinect game?

Of course not, not all of them. Some have been thinking about making a Kinect game ever since they first saw it, such as Suda 51 (and even long before that he was considering making a 360 title), while others have probably been contacted by Micrsooft first. It's a normal process and it just happens to be that developers, like everyone else, like new toys. It's the same with Move, 3DS and practically any new hardware.

TheBranca18 said:
And you're on here. Posting. Even though you find it less than satisfactory. So please shut up about the state of modding. It serves no purpose.

Lag bitches!

That's because I just started using my ignore list. Unfortunately, you can't put mods there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, consider me late to the party, but TGS may have saved kinect :lol

RavenFox

Banned
Zabka said:

And considering that you're attacking me for making assumptions based on the teaser, you are making a whole lot of control assumptions based on nothing.

So uhmm are you going to answer this?

kadotsu said:
What I am getting at is this.

Real life input pattern set A:

(set of all correct gestures) AND (force applied)

Kinect input pattern B:

(set of all correct gestures)

A is a strict subset of B which means B will accept inputs that A wouldn't. Doesn't mean the game won't work or be fun. Just that Kinect can't simulate reins.

To give you a little taste of what we'll get with Panzer Dragoon on Kinect:

g1jockey-o.gif

I'm so pumped for this, you can't even imagine! It's a combination made in heaven, like E3 and TGS being held at the same time in the same place!
Holding imaginary rains, bending my knees, leaning into curves two seconds before I actually encounter them and shouting cool stuff like *fire!* *turn left* or *missiles*, oh my I'm getting all worked out just thinking about it.

I'm already picturing it, inviting my mates over for tea and dry biscuits for a Kinect session...

You know I already put my 250$ in a safe deposit, so I'll have the funds to enjoy me some Kinectigoon, you know like Kinect + Dragoon *LOLz*.

Why all the skepticism in this thread, I just don't get it, sheesh *eats biscuits*.

Pug

After seeing that video (the horse) and the fact that I loved the Panzor Dragoon games I've pre-ordered Kinect. Sod over rightous gamers, Kinect looks

great.

Sorry about that, latentcy issues.

"Firebolt!" "Firebolt!"

"Do you want mayo on your sandwich, honey?"

"Shut up, MOM!"

"Firebolt!" "Firebolt!"

"I'm only asking because last time..."

Dragon dies.

"Mooooom!"

ultim8p00

Banned
This is such fucking bullshit. I got a 1 month ban for complaining that Epic Mickey was on the Wii and not a HD console. Amirox is in here trolling Kinect up and down without having even used it, and even going as far as bringing Kinect up in random threads that have little to do with Kinect, and he gets a free pass.

We should make a specific thread for Kinect hate so Amirox and all the Kinect haters can go and bitch in there. I am personally excited for Kinect and these games. I played it at the oak park mall and it was a lot of fun. Bowling was probably the best game, followed by Ricochet. It really was fun, and I feel like if some dev can design a game around it just right, it would be very interesting. I'm tired of going into Kinect threads and seeing people troll it up and down. Yest, we know its limitations, and yes it is fair game to talk about them. But go in a tech thread and do that there. If you think the technology is inferior, make a thread and talk about it there. This is fucking Panzer Dragoon and I'm excited. Get over it. If you have nothing constructive to say, fine, leave the thread. Jesus.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
If it's precise enough for making subtle adjustments to yoga poses, there's a good chance it's precise enough for this, too.
Yoga posses are static. Plus the balance board can measure force.

bloke

Few words from Futatsugi

Grounding's Yukio Futatsugi

Futatsugi, director of Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust, is working on the tentatively titled Project Draco to be published by Microsoft in 2011. Draco is a 3D flight shooting game. Players use Kinect to communicate with a dragon, raising it and making it learn skills, with the hopes of deepening your bond with the creature. In the game's online mode, you can fly through the skies with your friends.

For their work on Kinect, Futatsugi and his staff are taking care to ensure that players can enjoy themselves for lengthy periods without betting tired. They're paying attention to such things as the length of a single map and the frequency of enemy attacks. Explained Futatsugi, Project Draco is not a party type game where everyone enjoys themselves for brief periods, but is rather the type of game into which players sink their teeth. Because of this, they're developing the game to keep players from being tired while still delivering a control scheme that delivers a direct feel of movement.

As a sales point for the game, he said, "Don't you want to be able to actually experience the feeling of communicating with a dragon and riding it into battle? I do."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/19/kinect_commentary/
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201011/19035810.html

Rad-

As a sales point for the game, he said, "Don't you want to be able to actually experience the feeling of communicating with a dragon and riding it into battle? I do."

Hells yeah.

TheOddOne

mattfabb said:
Any news about this game? its worrying me
Of the 3 TGS Microsoft published titles (Haunt, Project Draco and Codename D) only Haunt recently popup on the Australian rating board. My guess is we will hear more info next month and will prolly release in 2012.

Deuce, I had managed to abort this game out of memory. The minds behind one of the most magical favourite series of mine, Panzer Dragoon, comes a motion control game, oh, the irony.

I bought that piece of garbage original xbox just to be able to play Panzer Dragoon Orta, and the two other Smilebit SEGA games that were the entire list of titles worth playing on that huge pitiful contraption, then kept the games and sold the abomination off. But this, no, this time I think they have gone so far into the deep end that I am not going to be able to follow them there.

Maybe I can hold out hope against hope that it will include controller support as well, like Child of Eden.

TheOddOne said:
Of the 3 TGS Microsoft published titles (Haunt, Project Draco and Codename D) only Haunt recently popup on the Australian rating board. My guess is we will hear more info next month and will prolly release in 2012.
Agreed, TGS is the time when we hopefully see the fruit of last years Kinect announcements.
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
..piece of garbage original xbox ... huge pitiful contraption... the abomination
Damn. Did Microsoft kill your family?

Yager

Banned
Deuce, I had managed to abort this game out of memory. The minds behind one of the most magical favourite series of mine, Panzer Dragoon, comes a motion control game, oh, the irony.

I bought that piece of garbage original xbox just to be able to play Panzer Dragoon Orta, and the two other Smilebit SEGA games that were the entire list of titles worth playing on that huge pitiful contraption, then kept the games and sold the abomination off. But this, no, this time I think they have gone so far into the deep end that I am not going to be able to follow them there.

Maybe I can hold out hope against hope that it will include controller support as well, like Child of Eden.

What the fuck dude, you need some yoga lessons like right now.

I hope we'll see some footage of this soon, this is one of the games that makes me think Kinect may not be another piece of useless plastic. I mean, I've played with it like 3 days and then left it in the closet.

erragal

Worse, they killed my soul.

You're completely right! I felt devoid of emotion playing Otogi and Phantom Dust on my original xbox. Such awful pedantic games filled with cliche and boring gameplay.

-

In all seriousness: You're a horrible human being to even joke about something so stupid. Grow up.

On topic: Interested to see more of this game; I wonder if it's hybrid style like the new Steel Battalion or Kinect only; it'll be interesting to see what type of precision they can manage to develop in the second wave of Kinect games as the platform matures.

erragal said:
You're completely right! I felt devoid of emotion playing Otogi and Phantom Dust on my original xbox. Such awful pedantic games filled with cliche and boring gameplay.

-

In all seriousness: You're a horrible human being to even joke about something so stupid. Grow up.

On topic: Interested to see more of this game; I wonder if it's hybrid style like the new Steel Battalion or Kinect only; it'll be interesting to see what type of precision they can manage to develop in the second wave of Kinect games as the platform matures.

Give me a break, boyo, I have no soul, remember, it was eaten by a giant ugly plastic avatar of an evil corporate entity. Have you seen the swallow your soul bit in Evil Dead 2? Well it was like that, only I didn't have a shotgun and a witty comeback to go along with it.

Top Bottom