• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Draco - New kinect game by Yukio Futatsugi (Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust)

robor

Can someone help me outline the legit Futatsugi credentials of his career? I've only found contradicting sources where some claim he directed Zwei and Saga while others don't. Wouldn't mind getting down to the bottom of this. GAF, I summon thee.

Gwanatu T

TheFightingFish said:
Honestly one spot where I feel like Kinect could be a real knockout hit could be combining the voice and motion tracking with a traditional 360 controller in hand. For a Panzer Dragoon style game I'd imagine something like using the analog sticks for traditional movement of the aim cursor and dragon and buttons for shooting. Meanwhile head tracking via Kinect would be used for adjusting what area of space around the dragon you are viewing and voice command could be doing some thing like relaying basic commands (formations maybe?) to wingmates.

Sadly this all seems to be a pipe dream. I'm not sure if the tech isn't up to snuff or if it just doesn't make financial sense to use Kinect to add controls on top of normal controllers. But I do know that every single Kinect game so far is Kinect control only without a normal controller in the picture at all. Seems a shame to me, it's not like the crowd that is going to be buying a game by Futatsugi is going to be the type to be scared away by having to use a normal controller.

I have to agree, it would be incredible. The biggest problem with Kinect, as everyone here knows, is that there is no controller. It's fine and dandy to do this with certain games, but most just cannot be played without buttons. I feel confident though, that this creative team has found something that works. If no one else can do it, they definitely can.

gunstarhero

Panzer Dragoon + Kinect actually sounds pretty awesome to me. I just need to find leather reins and I'm all set. :D

MS is killing it at TGS with Kinect -

I have to agree, it would be incredible. The biggest problem with Kinect, as everyone here knows, is that there is no controller. It's fine and dandy to do this with certain games, but most just cannot be played without buttons. I feel confident though, that this creative team has found something that works. If no one else can do it, they definitely can.

woah fella

Gwanatu T

gunstarhero said:
Panzer Dragoon + Kinect actually sounds pretty awesome to me. I just need to find leather reins and I'm all set. :D

woah fella

Haha, well yes, MS is definitely showing us up on Kinect. Shame they didn't do this at E3, but I guess they had to have something to show for TGS. Reins or no reigns, I'm playing Panzer and I'll wave my hands in the air like I just don't care, if I have to.

robor

Gwanatu T said:
Haha, well yes, MS is definitely showing us up on Kinect. Shame they didn't do this at E3, but I guess they had to have something to show for TGS. Reins or no reigns, I'm playing Panzer and I'll wave my hands in the air like I just don't care, if I have to.

Next E3.

duckroll said:
Kinect core games at TGS 2010:

- Project Draco, a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, by the core creative team that created the original series.

- Child of Eden, a spiritual successor to Rez, by the developers of the original.

- House of the Dead: Rise of Nightmares, a brand new House of the Dead game.

- Codename D, a brand new game from Suda51 and Grasshopper Manufacture.

- Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, a new entry in the mech simulation series, developed by From Software and Capcom.

- Haunt, a brand new game from Masaya Matsuura, the creator of Paparapa, Umjammy, and Vib Ribbon.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

Nevermind console exclusivity, which of these TGS reveals are confirmed as Kinect exclusives?

I need to know which to write off as dead to me. :(

skyfinch

gunstarhero said:

woah fella

I have a dozen spare reins if you need any. They're used, and a bit stained, but still in good shape.

krypt0nian said:
Nevermind console exclusivity, which of these TGS reveals are confirmed as Kinect exclusives?

I need to know which to write off as dead to me. :(

Other than Child of Eden, the trailers for all those games said "exclusively for Kinect."

robor

Oh come on, let's try and give these games a chance by actually seeing how they play first. They're as dead as your preconceptions make them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The biggest design problem posed by all motion-control systems, and particularly with Kinect is managing energy expenditure on the part of the player.

Too long, or too much sustained intensity and a good proportion of your market is going to be gassed before the end of the first level. Not to mention a lot of the target audience is going to be looking for relaxation rather than a workout, so if its unduly taxing physically its going to be turn-off anyway.

In the end, there's no avoiding the "bite-sized" design mentality because the intensity and duration of action in conventional hard-core games is going to give a lot of player's a coronary before the first level is through.

Adjust your expectations guys. The functionality and efficacy of the input hardware apart, you still have to factor in average fitness levels as part of the design - and that is a major game changer both metaphorically and in implementation terms.

Maleficence said:
STOP NAMING THINGS "PROJECT"!

It sounds retarded and lazy. Thanks.
It's just a working title, and they obviously wanted something that would initialize to 'PD'. How much effort do you want them to put into a title they're going to discard?

robor

Clear said:
The biggest design problem posed by all motion-control systems, and particularly with Kinect is managing energy expenditure on the part of the player.

Too long, or too much sustained intensity and a good proportion of your market is going to be gassed before the end of the first level. Not to mention a lot of the target audience is going to be looking for relaxation rather than a workout, so if its unduly taxing physically its going to be turn-off anyway.

In the end, there's no avoiding the "bite-sized" design mentality because the intensity and duration of action in conventional hard-core games is going to give a lot of player's a coronary before the first level is through.

Adjust your expectations guys. The functionality and efficacy of the input hardware apart, you still have to factor in average fitness levels as part of the design - and that is a major game changer both metaphorically and in implementation terms.

I totally agree with this. That was my first conclusion when Kinect was first announced. A guy that goes to a gym will have more sustainability in play with some of the more active games coming out on Kinect due to his physical stature, but what happens when a fat dude plays that same game? Hell, what if he can't execute some of the simple tasks due to his obesity? That's a bit extreme I know but it's there. I mean there are more examples that prevent people from physically executing the most basic inputs for a Kinect game.

With Kore games, it will have a more subtle implementation imo. With Draco, I think the idea of having a saddle mechanic is really cool, depending on how well it's implemented of course.

windfish

not quite on topic, but seeing Phantom Dust in the Title reminds me that i always wanted to give it a shot!
Does someone know if the US Version runs on a Pal 360?? Is it even worth it without the online part?

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's just a working title, and they obviously wanted something that would initialize to 'PD'. How much effort do you want them to put into a title they're going to discard?

Why not just "Draco"? I just really hate the Project thing, it's annoying as I said earlier. :p

robor

Been analyzing this trailer and I noticed the riders are standing. I get the impression that you'll have full motion control of the rider and you'll steer the dragon via a saddle mechanic. I imagine the saddle will be the basic mode of input. Maybe you tug to get the dragon to spew a fireball, and pull back to slow down, then give some slack to speed back up. Pull on the left hand to turn left etc.

I can't wait to see how it plays.

Amir0x

Banned
derFeef said:
Man, some of you guys are having not the slightest sense of faith. Everything is just negative.

Faith is for religious nutjobs. I only respond to action and facts.

Since everything I've actually seen and read about Kinect looks uniformly awful, there's no need to have faith. All I need is to pop open a video.

I mean, it's not that these developers don't have the intent to make quality games. It's that the Kinect technology is just mindblowingly awful. In every way.

Let's say this game played like some Panzer Dragoon titles, the Kinect's immense lag alone would kill it.

segarr

There are the kind of devs Kincect needs. Good on MGSJ for signing them up. (They're done for the year of course; they only seem to do just enough work for Redmond not to shut them down)

Amir0x said:
Faith is for religious nutjobs. I only respond to action and facts.

Since everything I've actually seen and read about Kinect looks uniformly awful, there's no need to have faith. All I need is to pop open a video.

I mean, it's not that these developers don't have the intent to make quality games. It's that the Kinect technology is just mindblowingly awful. In every way.

Let's say this game played like some Panzer Dragoon titles, the Kinect's immense lag alone would kill it.

You haven't played with Kinect I figure? There is no niticable lag when playing it, and it feels responsive and natural. Of course it might suck for those people that demand buttons no matter what, and hates anything that might differentiate itself from anything else ever made.

Crazy thing might be to wait until we see the game and maybe judge it after playing it?

TheFightingFish said:
Honestly one spot where I feel like Kinect could be a real knockout hit could be combining the voice and motion tracking with a traditional 360 controller in hand. For a Panzer Dragoon style game I'd imagine something like using the analog sticks for traditional movement of the aim cursor and dragon and buttons for shooting. Meanwhile head tracking via Kinect would be used for adjusting what area of space around the dragon you are viewing and voice command could be doing some thing like relaying basic commands (formations maybe?) to wingmates.

Sadly this all seems to be a pipe dream. I'm not sure if the tech isn't up to snuff or if it just doesn't make financial sense to use Kinect to add controls on top of normal controllers. But I do know that every single Kinect game so far is Kinect control only without a normal controller in the picture at all. Seems a shame to me, it's not like the crowd that is going to be buying a game by Futatsugi is going to be the type to be scared away by having to use a normal controller.

Hybrid games will be announced in 2011.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinterbird said:
You haven't played with Kinect I figure? There is no niticable lag when playing it, and it feels responsive and natural. Of course it might suck for those people that demand buttons no matter what, and hates anything that might differentiate itself from anything else ever made.

Crazy thing might be to wait until we see the game and maybe judge it after playing it?

No noticeable lag? Are you fucking kidding me? You may be blinded to the lag, but in every Kinect game I've ever seen played live or otherwise, the lag is extremely noticeable.

It's lovely that you're not sensitive to that sort of thing, but don't boldly apply your lack of standards to everyone else.

Dabanton

derFeef said:
Man, some of you guys are having not the slightest sense of faith. Everything is just negative.

I'm loving it. The GAF kinect hate train is now at top speed, i doubt it can go more faster before it crashes in a heap of hypocrisy and back tracking.

It's like MS basically trolled the lot of them oh you want a spiritual follow up to Panzer Dragoon and a new Steel Battalion game and a Suda 51 game? Well you'll need a Kinect.

To be honest i can't wait for the thing to come out so those of us purchasing can buy one and enjoy it and the others can carry on bitching and sniping. As any thread on it has become predictable and lame. It's not even worth trying to discuss Kinect because of the hilarious over the top hostility towards it.

I mean look at that Ipad/Kinect thread you have people who if they really hated it would just keep it moving but their basically doing MS PR's job for them.

Well done boys.

Amir0x said:
No noticeable lag? Are you fucking kidding me? You may be blinded to the lag, but in every Kinect game I've ever seen played live or otherwise, the lag is extremely noticeable.

It's lovely that you're not sensitive to that sort of thing, but don't boldly apply your lack of standards to everyone else.

I'm just saying that when you are actually playing, it feels very responsive and there is not noticeable (being a second or more) lag. It could be an illusion of playing rather then watching, but if that is the case it becomes irrelevant when you are actually playing the game.

segarr

I bet the lag won't even be noticeable when you are immersed in the game. Didn't Digital Foundry say the lag was no worse than Killzone 2? That won GOTY awards for crissakes.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinterbird said:
I'm just saying that when you are actually playing, it feels very responsive and there is not noticeable (being a second or more) lag. It could be an illusion of playing rather then watching, but if that is the case it becomes irrelevant when you are actually playing the game.

Again, I notice lag on certain NORMAL GAMES and many, many WII GAMES

Kinect has lag infinitely worse than those. Kinect Sports has 150ms response time and not even factoring in your television. That's fucking obscene.

This is the same shit that happened with Wii. People got obsessed with the gimmickry of it all, the idea of doing something different for difference sake, and they lowered their standards to meet the many, many flaws the controller had.

Kinect is worse off yet - it has no buttons, which functionally limits the type of gameplay it can do by a factor of a hundred. And then to boost it off, you got the lag? You got the way it frequently glitches out or fails to recognize this or that? You can't sit and play for most if not all games? Absurd.

Kinect is for people with lowered standards, not me. I don't settle for less because I'm such a boring person that my ADHD requires me to move on every two days to the next big novelty gimmick.

Amir0x said:

I've noticed with quite a few impressions that Kinect lag seems to look worse than it feels. I've read "I felt no lag" or "There was a slight delay, but nothing too bad" a lot, whereas I haven't read "It was an unplayable mess. The lag was awful" much at all. In fact such comments seem to only come from those that have watched Kinect on a computer screen.

As long as it feels responsive, I don't mind. I'm sure controller lag would looks more apparent if every thumb movement of an analogue stick was magnified to the size of a sweeping arm gesture. Regardless, I think it's too soon to judge what Kinect's hardware is capable of because some pre-release software looks laggy. Anyone following Rally Ball since E3 09 will have noticed the improvements in responsiveness as newer builds have been shown over the past year, and that will only continue to improve as the games approach release (and even after release with Kinect's software upgrades).

Man

segarr said:
I bet the lag won't even be noticeable when you are immersed in the game. Didn't Digital Foundry say the lag was no worse than Killzone 2? That won GOTY awards for crissakes.
Kinect has 150+ ms lag.
Gamepads & PS Move has 22ms lag.

That means that the game can't start to treat the input before 150ms has passed.

With a gamepad the following games had:
Killzone 2: 150ms lag
Halo 3: 100-150ms lag
COD4: 66ms lag

16ms = 1/60hz frame.

Vorg

Banned
What I really want to know is if the game can be controlled with a regular pad. I really wanna play this but simply do not have enough space to play it with kinect.

segarr

Man said:
Kinect has 150+ ms lag.
Gamepads & PS Move has 22ms lag.

That means that the game can't start to treat the input before 150ms has passed.

With a gamepad the following games had:
Killzone 2: 150ms lag
Halo 3: 100-150ms lag
COD4: 66ms lag

16ms = 1/60hz frame.
Ok, I don't know what that means. I see Kinect 150 ms lag. Halo 3 150ms lag. What is the difference?

Man

segarr said:
Ok, I don't know what that means. I see Kinect 150 ms lag. Halo 3 150ms lag. What is the difference?
Halo does not play itself right.
Gamepad lag is about 22ms. That means Halo has a 128ms backend.
If you played Halo 3 with Kinect it would mean the game had a responsiveness of 278ms.

Add the fact that you're also much more sensitive to lag when doing motion gaming because you have no other relevance like a button click and physicality and you can see where this is going.

segarr

Man said:
Halo does not play itself right.
Gamepad lag is about 22ms. That means Halo has a 128ms backend.
If you played Halo 3 with Kinect it would mean the game had a responsiveness of 278ms.

Add the fact that you're also much more sensitive to lag when doing motion gaming because you have no other relevance like a button click and physicality and you can see where this is going.
So every gamepad automatically adds 28ms but Halo 3 running adds 128ms as well. Natal automatically adds 150ms and then whatever game is running to that? Is that right?

segarr

Man said:
That's correct.
Ok. Now we just have to see if say 300ms really makes the games unplayable or if they're still enjoyable.

Edit: I hope it's the latter because the potential of the thing seems amazing and great to get your blood circulating as well.(Not yoga games either). I just fear MS be launching too early or cheapened out on the tech.

Who knows, with firmware updates and dev innovation, they may find ways to get it more responsive. Look at SW:TFU2, they found a way to make 30fps run at 60fps with no hits other than some slight artifacts!

segarr

Man said:
Lag is just one aspect though. There is precision, interpretation, complexity...etc..etc...etc.
Oh I'm not worried about that. Devs can solve some of this; MS can release Natal+ with better hardware. Nintendo got away with it you know ;p

Vorg

Banned
Man said:
Lag is just one aspect though. There is precision, interpretation, complexity...etc..etc...etc.

Yeah... If this is a real panzer dragoon spiritual sequel that happens to control like shit I think I'm going to cry. :( Please have optional pad controls, like Child of Eden.

Amir0x

Banned
acidspunk said:
Yeah... If this is a real panzer dragoon spiritual sequel that happens to control like shit I think I'm going to cry. :( Please have optional pad controls, like Child of Eden.

Child of Eden has control pad option?

Oh sweet jesus thank you...

Eccocid

Amir0x said:
Child of Eden has control pad option?

Oh sweet jesus thank you...

It should be, it will have Move on PS3 right? So as default it will be developed with 2 dif control methods.

Top Bottom