• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Draco - New kinect game by Yukio Futatsugi (Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust)

kinggroin

Banned
derFeef said:
I think you mix things up a bit here and your point is the platform, not the controller. Also, Kinect is not "standing and pointing" - so far Kinect is all about body movement.

Wtf? I assure you, I'm not mixing anything up.

My point is this:

A new unproven control scheme that may or may not work well for games we'd love to play. Not sure what platforms or body movement have to do with this.

Gwanatu T

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

If this is Kinect only and it plays well, I might just have to get a Kinect. Sorry guys, Panzer Dragoon anything comes above all.

antonz said:
Lair 2.0?

I WILL KILL YOU!
PANZER DRAGOON DEFENSE FORCE AWAY!

kinggroin

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

If this is Kinect only and it plays well, I might just have to get a Kinect. Sorry guys, Panzer Dragoon anything comes above all.

I WILL KILL YOU!

Feels like a dream doesn't it? I hope to God things turn out fine, of course im gonna have to play this at your place now, lol.

Gwanatu T

kinggroin said:
Feels like a dream doesn't it? I hope to God things turn out fine, of course im gonna have to play this at your place now, lol.

Well that's if I even bother to get a Kinect. At this point I only have so much money, and 3DS is a higher priority. That's going to be the biggest problem for MS is convincing people to part with their money for Kinect over all the other awesome things out there.

Pooya

jesus, didn't realize that this is truly a new Panzer Dragoon game, was wishing for Orta HD before the conference :lol

Vinterbird said:
Why traditional controllers? I really don't get all of this Kinect hate that is in every god damn thread about any Kinect game. How many has actually played it? How many is just hating on it because it is "omfg motion sucks" stupid kneejerk reaction that has no basis in anything at all.

How about waiting to see the games, how they play and maybe try Kinect yourself before judging?
Because I gargled a mouthful of this cum before with the Wii, and you know what? I was fucking wrong. Motion controls in *every* non-Excite Truck situation made the games worse. Every time. The pointer was useful, but only in conjunction with buttons. All the "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care" just ended up being irksome in the long run. I'm not even buying the next freaking Zelda because of its reliance on motion control.

robor

Yukio Futatsugi is fucking back. I thought he gave up on this industry, MY GOD, I can't handle the awesomeness. Here's hoping it's the spiritual successor to Saga. Oh man, the possibilities.

How in the world are you going to survive next-gen gaming, Segata? Hell, the next few years of this gen ought to be excruciating for you. Better make peace with it before your hate consumes you and kills your ability to play most console and handheld games.

3 days after starting a Panzer Dragoon trilogy run & wondering why sega won't re-visit the ip, i hear this news. Newsflash there is a god :D

MightyHedgehog said:
How in the world are you going to survive next-gen gaming, Segata? Hell, the next few years of this gen ought to be excruciating for you. Better make peace with it before your hate consumes you and kills your ability to play most console and handheld games.
Handhelds, my friend. I can be reasonably confident they won't go waggle-crazy due to the screen being on the control input.

And frankly, making peace with it isn't going to help. I have partial paralysis in my left shoulder which prevents me from moving it certain ways accurately and reliably. If games go motion-only, I'll have to stay back with the old stuff.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Because I gargled a mouthful of this cum before with the Wii, and you know what? I was fucking wrong. Motion controls in *every* non-Excite Truck situation made the games worse. Every time. The pointer was useful, but only in conjunction with buttons. All the "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care" just ended up being irksome in the long run. I'm not even buying the next freaking Zelda because of its reliance on motion control.

Different strokes for different folks then. I just can't fathom how anyone can have just incredible hate to any form of input device for a games system. It works, it is fun and it in some cases adds to the experience and delivers something that would not be possible with a traditional controller.

Jonsoncao said:
not for controller?

Nope.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Handhelds, my friend. I can be reasonably confident they won't go waggle-crazy due to the screen being on the control input.

And frankly, making peace with it isn't going to help. I have partial paralysis in my left shoulder which prevents me from moving it certain ways accurately and reliably. If games go motion-only, I'll have to stay back with the old stuff.
Ah, a shame about that. Well, you'll find solace in handhelds, like you say, but also that traditionally-controlled titles aren't likely to ever be the minority of all console titles (especially if you count DD releases). Even so, I'm sure motion controls will still evolve to suit those with a range of preferences of motion and/or impairments/impediments. After years of experimentation with Wii software and other methods, like camera-based games, there seems to be a better understanding of taking player comfort and physical ability into account in order to ensure optimal enjoyment and broadest appeal. Of course, it's all still down to individual titles. Early days...

duckroll said:
Kinect core games at TGS 2010:

- Project Draco, a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, by the core creative team that created the original series.

- Child of Eden, a spiritual successor to Rez, by the developers of the original.

- House of the Dead: Rise of Nightmares, a brand new House of the Dead game.

- Codename D, a brand new game from Suda51 and Grasshopper Manufacture.

- Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, a new entry in the mech simulation series, developed by From Software and Capcom.

- Haunt, a brand new game from Masaya Matsuura, the creator of Paparapa, Umjammy, and Vib Ribbon.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

Where was Rise of Nightmares confirmed as an HotD game? It wasn't in the trailer...

Nakasan

Jtyettis said:
Glad I'm not alone on that.

Tingles. Tingles up and down my Spine. Very very happy and pleased about this. Despite my launch 360 RROD-ing on me a few months back, I'll be keeping a weather eye on this!

Symytry

duckroll said:
The staff are pretty significant.

Director: Yukio Futatsugi
Concept Artist: Manabu Kusunoki
Lead Designer: Tomohiro Kondo

Those are the 3 main creators of Panzer Dragoon right there. It's not just Futatsugi, but he has somehow managed to reunite the core creative staff to make a new.... Kinect game. Well, whatever!

JESUS!!!!! Now I really have no choice but to buy the evil slim black box of significant death (many times over I might add), just to play a single game. Curses Futatsugi!!!! CURSES!

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
Why are nearly all the games announced for Kinect either super casual or super hardcore? How about some middle ground?

Because it is actually a lot like the Wii in this respect: Polarized as hell.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:
Because it is actually a lot like the Wii in this respect: Polarized as hell.

Now I can admit it: my questions were half-rhetorical. I'm not really surprised by those announcements... Although Panzer Dragoon and Steel Battalion are kind of surprising. I think watching how this Kinect thing fares on the market will be a lot of fun.

duckroll

Father_Brain said:
Where was Rise of Nightmares confirmed as an HotD game? It wasn't in the trailer...

You know, you're right. It's not mentioned. I'm not sure where I saw it now, but clearly it's not in the press releases or anything. My mistake.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:

- Project Draco, a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, by the core creative team that created the original series.

- Child of Eden, a spiritual successor to Rez, by the developers of the original.

- Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, a new entry in the mech simulation series, developed by From Software and Capcom.

- Haunt, a brand new game from Masaya Matsuura, the creator of Paparapa, Umjammy, and Vib Ribbon.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

MS comes out swingin'

Raide

TGS>E3

The chance to raise a Dragoon, fly it around and shoot the crap out of things? Day 1. Now, make is co-op and have Freeroam MP and it will be epic. Of course keep the traditional gameplay but mix it up a bit too.

PSGames

Raide said:
TGS>E3

The chance to raise a Dragoon, fly it around and shoot the crap out of things? Day 1. Now, make is co-op and have Freeroam MP and it will be epic. Of course keep the traditional gameplay but mix it up a bit too.

Co-op was cofirmed in the press release :D

Kafel

Banned
People are actually surprised there are hardcore games planned for Kinect ? It was known for a long time.

Like it's easily understanable that its launch line-up is full casual to ensure good sales at first but also because the casual titles need less time to develop and it's easier to start "low" to see what works and what doesn't with the technology.

M3d10n

Kafel said:
People are actually surprised there are hardcore games planned for Kinect ? It was known for a long time.
No, people are outraged because a seemingly spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon could
(please god no!)
be Kinect-only.

I would buy a 360 for a new PD in an instant, but I have negative desire to pay an extra $150 to flap my arms to control the dragon (plus finger-pointing with Kinect is completely unproven).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hopefully when this game bombs through the fucking ground the andromeda 3 will stick together and do MORE COOL STUFF NOT INVOLVING KINECT

Gwanatu T

John Harker said:
Japenese developers get Kinect so much better than these Western ones, eh?

Japanese developers seem to just "get it" in general more than Western ones anyway, so that's no surprise.

Lakitu

st5fu
M3d10n said:
No, people are outraged because a seemingly spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon could
(please god no!)
be Kinect-only.

I would buy a 360 for a new PD in an instant, but I have negative desire to pay an extra $150 to flap my arms to control the dragon (plus finger-pointing with Kinect is completely unproven).

Everything points to it being Kinect-only, so I'll be missing out.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

It's worth noting that every conceivable problem Wii has, every single one, is amplified to a billion and then made somehow worse that that.

The lag on products is outrageous at times. The level of efficiency, feedback and precision one will get with their controllers will simply be incalculably superior. So many concepts, so many, are simply impossible without buttons of some kind. So frequently the camera just flat out does not do what it is supposed to, fitzing out or not detecting this or that. Absurd.

Nobody wants to take eighteen step backs in gaming control because a bunch of ridiculous dancing tards want to swing their hips around and wave their hands like a bunch of lonely Nets fans.

Amir0x said:
It's worth noting that every conceivable problem Wii has, every single one, is amplified to a billion and then made somehow worse that that.

The lag on products is outrageous at times. The level of efficiency, feedback and precision one will get with their controllers will simply be incalculably superior. So many concepts, so many, are simply impossible without buttons of some kind.

Nobody wants to take eighteen step backs in gaming control because a bunch of ridiculous dancing tards want to swing their hips around and wave their hands like a bunch of lonely Nets fans.

Honestly one spot where I feel like Kinect could be a real knockout hit could be combining the voice and motion tracking with a traditional 360 controller in hand. For a Panzer Dragoon style game I'd imagine something like using the analog sticks for traditional movement of the aim cursor and dragon and buttons for shooting. Meanwhile head tracking via Kinect would be used for adjusting what area of space around the dragon you are viewing and voice command could be doing some thing like relaying basic commands (formations maybe?) to wingmates.

Sadly this all seems to be a pipe dream. I'm not sure if the tech isn't up to snuff or if it just doesn't make financial sense to use Kinect to add controls on top of normal controllers. But I do know that every single Kinect game so far is Kinect control only without a normal controller in the picture at all. Seems a shame to me, it's not like the crowd that is going to be buying a game by Futatsugi is going to be the type to be scared away by having to use a normal controller.

KAOS

Oh man looks like kinect won't be collecting dust like the eyetoy! Hope these titles turn out great and provide alternative controls.

.la1n

God damn it.

He got the other guys from Team Andromeda.

Looks like I'm buying Kinect. :mad:

same here. I bought the saturn for panzer dragoon and it looks like team andromeda has forced my hand once again on an overpriced piece of hardware.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

Honestly. I really don't know how to feel about this. We have an add on that looks like shit. Yet for some reason, this add on has attracted a large amount of talented developers, to do projects that seem... original, unique, creative, and fun.

Kafel

Banned
shintoki said:
Honestly. I really don't know how to feel about this. We have an add on that looks like shit. Yet for some reason, this add on has attracted a large amount of talented developers, to do projects that seem... original, unique, creative, and fun.

Possible hint : those guys who work on the "add on" know more about it than you.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If that isn't Panzer Dragoon, I don't know what it is. Even the dragon attack at the end looks like something straight out of PD. And Orta needs a sequel since the ending was open ended. Plus they need a game to bridge together Saga and Orta. What happened to Edge, Azel, etc. If Saori Kobayashi does the OST, I am sold. Saga has one of the best OSTs in video gamedom.

Eccocid

Gah trailer dragons look so ugly. like the enemy dragoons look like the dragons with riders on them on 1st stage of Orta.
And where is the PS composer? What was his/her name?

duckroll said:
The staff are pretty significant.

Director: Yukio Futatsugi
Concept Artist: Manabu Kusunoki
Lead Designer: Tomohiro Kondo

Those are the 3 main creators of Panzer Dragoon right there. It's not just Futatsugi, but he has somehow managed to reunite the core creative staff to make a new.... Kinect game. Well, whatever!
What on earth...

God damnit. This is going to end with me owning a Kinect, isn't it.

LQX

I'm hoping this will also at least have pad control options. Is there like a MS mandate that a Kinect game cant have both options?

robor

Raide said:
TGS>E3

'

Fucking aye. This is the best TGS I've ever witnessed, and it mostly came from Microsoft. The only thing I'm still hanging out for is Armored Core 5, which I assume will be shown today some time.

adelante

Kadey said:
If Saori Kobayashi does the OST, I am sold. Saga has one of the best OSTs in video gamedom.
Frack yes, the only use I have for my PDSaga cds is listening to the game's soundtrack...need to get a Saturn :(

Top Bottom