• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Draco - New kinect game by Yukio Futatsugi (Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust)

Wow, looks amazing. Panzer Dragoon is one of the greatest series ever (I would say PD 1 and Orta are two of the four best rail shooters...), and this indeed looks a lot like it. Kinect, though... erm, yeah, we'll see. I admit the concept does work, you can deal with the "you can't actually move around with Kinect" problem by always have you be on a dragon, but still, we'll see.

In graphics, art design, and music, though... yeah, looking really good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speevy said:
Okay, that sounds fun...now release it and get back to work on Phantom Dust 2.

Fucking seriously. The X-box Live shutdown killed me. I want a PD2, not this (good for Panzer Dragoon people, but come on!). :|

That said, weird how he's working with MS given how he "wanted to do a PD2, but MS owns the IP so I can't move the platform" (SMH MS, give him the IP and let him put Phantom Dust on 3DS, PSP, PS3, 360, etc. >:|)

derFeef

Riding a dragon? Sign me up. As with every Kinect game announced today, I wonder how it will work. But sounds and looks already nice.

Mdk7

This is like the greatest news... EVER.
After that shitty day that was yesterday, with this announcement the videogame industry is redeemed to my eyes. :D

DAY ZERO, this and Child of Eden are sooo making me buy a Kinect!

Amir0x

Banned
oh god my love of Yukio Futatsugi games is conflicting with my blind, seething hatred of Kinect and its horrible technology

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
oh god my love of Yukio Futatsugi games is conflicting with my blind, seething hatred of Kinect and its horrible technology

Welcome to TGS 2010 :/

Amir0x

Banned
oh god Himuro quick jump to make the dragon dip down

now you have to wait for the lag to catch up

oh god you're going up now punch the sky to make it shoot pew pew pew

whhhhhhhhhhhy

duckroll

The staff are pretty significant.

Director: Yukio Futatsugi
Concept Artist: Manabu Kusunoki
Lead Designer: Tomohiro Kondo

Those are the 3 main creators of Panzer Dragoon right there. It's not just Futatsugi, but he has somehow managed to reunite the core creative staff to make a new.... Kinect game. Well, whatever!

AniHawk

duckroll said:

Those are the 3 main creators of Panzer Dragoon right there. It's not just Futatsugi, but he has somehow managed to reunite the core creative staff to make a new.... Kinect game. Well, whatever!

SON OF A BITCH

Rad-

duckroll said:

:eek:

Himuro said:
This is shaping up to be the best TGS in years and I get all of this kinect shit. Microsoft is enticing me to get another 360. They want me back hard. But goddamit, at least give games like this an option for traditoinal controls.

Why traditional controllers? I really don't get all of this Kinect hate that is in every god damn thread about any Kinect game. How many has actually played it? How many is just hating on it because it is "omfg motion sucks" stupid kneejerk reaction that has no basis in anything at all.

How about waiting to see the games, how they play and maybe try Kinect yourself before judging?

....Sigh....new Panzer Dragoon please bla bla bla bla..

Vinterbird said:
Why traditional controllers? I really don't get all of this Kinect hate that is in every god damn thread about any Kinect game. How many has actually played it? How many is just hating on it because it is "omfg motion sucks" stupid kneejerk reaction that has no basis in anything at all.

How about waiting to see the games, how they play and maybe try Kinect yourself before judging?

How about both options?

derFeef

Himuro said:
This is shaping up to be the best TGS in years and I get all of this kinect shit. Microsoft is enticing me to get another 360. They want me back hard. But goddamit, at least give games like this an option for traditoinal controls.
I would prefer a fleshed out "designed for kinect" game to games that work with both inputs just so-so. (Lair?)

YES! Kinect is cool as shit! And Futatsugi's concepts and execution should be perfect for it. Controlling flying killer beasties should be incredible.

duckroll

Kinect core games at TGS 2010:

- Project Draco, a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, by the core creative team that created the original series.

- Child of Eden, a spiritual successor to Rez, by the developers of the original.

- House of the Dead: Rise of Nightmares, a brand new House of the Dead game.

- Codename D, a brand new game from Suda51 and Grasshopper Manufacture.

- Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, a new entry in the mech simulation series, developed by From Software and Capcom.

- Haunt, a brand new game from Masaya Matsuura, the creator of Paparapa, Umjammy, and Vib Ribbon.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

ChackanKun said:
How about both options?

It is an option, sure. But I personally don't believe a game would be as great on Kinect if it has to also work with typical controllers. I would prefer developers going controller exclusive, unless it is a hybrid game, since I think it would make for a better game and control expeince.

derFeef

duckroll said:

- Project Draco, a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, by the core creative team that created the original series.

- Child of Eden, a spiritual successor to Rez, by the developers of the original.

- Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, a new entry in the mech simulation series, developed by From Software and Capcom.

- Haunt, a brand new game from Masaya Matsuura, the creator of Paparapa, Umjammy, and Vib Ribbon.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.
Indeed (a real one). Impressive MS - why not earlier?

Gravijah

Fucking Kinect. MOTHER FUCKING KINECT!

I swear if they announce Viva Pinata Kinect edition I will... Sigh to myself. And buy one.

Dascu

For the record, I'm not upset because those new games use Kinect's controlscheme, I'm upset because it means there's no way to play them other than buying a 360 and Kinect. Just when the 3DS is around the corner and when I was planning to get a PS3 for The Last Guardian. There's no fucking way I can afford all that, let alone find the time for a job and still play the games.

Ugh, someone needs to invent a time machine.

derFeef said:
Indeed (a real one). Impressive MS - why not earlier?
'Cause they're trotting the whole thing out earlier and in less mature shape than most might prefer...starts seeming more like old school console hardware launches where the basic software development support isn't even fully-built yet. 2011 should be awesome.

Kibs

I pretty much abandoned all hope of ever seeing a proper PD sequel again considering the state Sega is in these days :( This is pretty much the best news I could have hoped for personally, except for the Kinect part - but seeing what's pretty much a new PD come to life is worth putting up with the Kinect part.
So, stoked !!

Neuromancer said:
Between this, Steel Battalion and Child of Eden, Kinect is certainly looking more and more enticing.

I am excited. I thought Kinect would be for the gf and the kid, but looks like I will get some mileage out of it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Why are nearly all the games announced for Kinect either super casual or super hardcore? How about some middle ground?

duckroll

Kilrogg said:
Why are nearly all the games announced for Kinect either super casual or super hardcore? How about some middle ground?

It's a new control scheme peripheral. Anyone looking to make a middle ground normal game which isn't risky but unique or casual and easy to use, would simply make a normal 360 game instead. It was very much the same when the DS was first announced.

Prine

Banned
duckroll said:

Oh my lord, i said this earlier but if i was to list my top 3 dream announcements, this would be one of them. Panzer Dragoon lives!!!!!!

Now announce Shenmue 3 and this gen will never be topped.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
duckroll said:
It's a new control scheme peripheral. Anyone looking to make a middle ground normal game which isn't risky but unique or casual and easy to use, would simply make a normal 360 game instead. It was very much the same when the DS was first announced.

Note that it didn't use the word "unique" but "super hardcore" :p.

Anyway, apparently Kinect will suffer from Madworld-itis. You're doomed to either like niche games or Wii copycats. Same old, same old.

Prine

Banned
Himuro said:
This too. In almost all of these cases, Move support would be much more preferable. It has support for a controller. Why not go with that instead of Kinect?

I too am planning on getting a 3ds. As it stands, I just don't have the means or will to buy every system ever anymore. And I kinda don't want to buy another 360. But goddamit they're tempting me.

Kinect PD might be radically different enough to validate its exclusivity though, we have no idea of what can be pulled off with Kinect, its new tech with crappy examples. This, along with other announced games should give us an idea of what to expect from a hardcore perspective. We shouldnt wish or stifle creativity because of our econnomic situation.

I'm grateful Team Andromeda are re-uniting for another PD outing.

FrankT

wizword said:
Ok it was blurry screens. Game looks incredible. :lol. Still looks like CGI which is unfortunate.

Yea was gonna say that looks pretty darn good. That track is just lovely. Still very interested, but who knows what the end result could be here.

Nakasan

Prine said:
I'm grateful Team Andromeda are re-uniting for another PD outing.

That right there. That. Right. There.

I can't listen to sound at work, whats the music like? Is it also spiritually succeeding Panzer?

It would be so fantastic if CCG-like elements found in Phantom Dust were a part of this new title, like choosing a loadout of abilities for your dragon (even helping to define the physical/visual characteristics of it) before taking to the skies with and against others.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'll get it, if it allows standard controls as well. Otherwise, I won't since I'm not investing into a Kinect.

duckroll said:

Yeaaaaaaaaaah.
God....damn it.

Lakitu said:
I'll get it, if it allows standard controls as well. Otherwise, I won't since I'm not investing into a Kinect.
For me it depends on how good the games are, I'm very weak willed.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm starting to understand better, how so many 360/PS3 owners felt, when exclusive hardcore games were announced as Wii exclusives.

I'm absolutely loving each one these games, but I just can't fathom how on earth we're going to get anything remotely resembling an accurate control scheme with Kinect. Seeing the thing demoed in so many videos already, just makes me MORE worried.

I'll keep my fingers crossed everything pans out, and I won't miss having a physical controller.

kinggroin

Banned
Himuro said:
Really? It's not nearly the same thing. Wii has buttons, and you can play some games with other optional control schemes. It's not the same situation at all.

Nah, it kinda is.

I can't tell you how many folks bitched about games that looked great, but would be "ruined by motion control". This is more in the first couple of years, when the control scheme really wasn't proven (and to many, it still isn't).

I feel this same way with Kinect ("I gotta stand and point with my fingers the whole game?!?"). Hopefully, things turn out the same or better than the Wii situation, and most of these fears are unfounded.

derFeef

kinggroin said:
Nah, it kinda is.

I can't tell you how many folks bitched about games that looked great, but would be "ruined by motion control". This is more in the first couple of years, when the control scheme really wasn't proven (and to many, it still isn't).

I feel this same way with Kinect ("I gotta stand and point with my fingers the whole game?!?"). Hopefully, things turn out the same or better than the Wii situation, and most of these fears are unfounded.
I think you mix things up a bit here and your point is the platform, not the controller. Also, Kinect is not "standing and pointing" - so far Kinect is all about body movement.

Top Bottom