• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Natal - controller free gaming on 360

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
InaudibleWhispa said:
4 hours and 15 minutes. Since E3 last year, I've had my PC time/date looks like this:

1piaaa.jpg

It generally helps a lot on the internet, especially when it comes to media since so many trailers/events are scheduled around US time. Just this week alone on GAF it's helped me countless times.

I have Win 7 and had no idea I could have more than one clock there, thanks for the tip. :D

InaudibleWhispa said:
4 hours and 15 minutes. Since E3 last year, I've had my PC time/date looks like this:

1piaaa.jpg

It generally helps a lot on the internet, especially when it comes to media since so many trailers/events are scheduled around US time. Just this week alone on GAF it's helped me countless times.

What theme are you using?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If Major Nelson is allowed to tweet, they can't really ban others from doing so. So I guess we will kinda get 'live coverage'.

subversus said:
I don't care really but I would be glad to buy it for 100$ or less. But for 200$?!?!
Right. So, do you seriously think that MS is willing to risk hundreds of millions of dollars that they and their third party partners have collectively taken on with the time and resources for Project Natal and make their success impossible by pricing themselves completely out of the market during a recession and slowdown in sales of video games? I don't believe it for a moment. Not when they're trying to get people who don't own X360 systems to jump in on this, too. If it really was going to $200, that would make the low point on the barrier to entry of cost, right now, $400+ for that group. That's way too high. If they're just trying to appeal to existing X360 owners, the barrier is still too high at $200. No, they're not going to launch this thing at any more than $99 US...and even I think that's too high for the sort of success they need to have right out of the gate. Remember that they've got a limited window of a three to four years to really get their mileage out of this device and platform before the next real console generation comes. I think it will be closer to $60, but still under $100 and that includes a compilation disc with demos/games. Any more than that and it may be curtains before it even begins. I haven't even factored in the cost of an extra, dedicated third or first party Natal game to go with the device...no third party wants in on this if they can't have shot at selling a copy of their Natal title to people.

Mr_Zombie

subversus said:
It's the second time this price (about 200$) comes up
Maybe that's because it goes: 1st shop -> Internet -> other shops?
The official price hasn't been released yet, so all those prices are just speculations.

FrankT

gofreak said:
If Major Nelson is allowed to tweet, they can't really ban others from doing so. So I guess we will kinda get 'live coverage'.

That's how I thought it would be really. Just no video.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
There will be numerous debates over Natal/Wave pricing that will inevitably lead nowhere and be pointless until we see how the market responds to it later this fall.

The big defense argument people will serve up is that Natal/Wave is all you need and you don't need additional WiiMote/MoveWand, Nunchuk, MotionPlus, EyeToy peripherals to enjoy it.

Little charts will be drawn up showing how Natal/Wave is a bargain considering that for 4 people to enjoy base motion control on a competing product they will pay an equivalent price or more and still not benefit from the additional functionality of facial/voice recognition and depth perception.

The above is understood. Will we see roughly 1,000 posts on GAF over the next 72 hours discussing the price despite the above? Sure. It was virtually guaranteed so long as Natal is released at anything above $50.

pretty much. Hopefully some awesome software will be bundled with it at least.

Wu-Gambino said:
Their not going to be revealing any games today are they?
Maybe games descriptions, titles, publishers/developers and maybe even price and date for the hardware launch. No press footage or pics, though. Maybe official marketing materials, though? Limiting this today seems silly if they're going to go ahead and make most if not all the big reveals tomorrow morning at the press conference, though...

Azrael

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The big defense argument people will serve up is that Natal/Wave is all you need and you don't need additional WiiMote/MoveWand, Nunchuk, MotionPlus, EyeToy peripherals to enjoy it.

Little charts will be drawn up showing how Natal/Wave is a bargain considering that for 4 people to enjoy base motion control on a competing product they will pay an equivalent price or more and still not benefit from the additional functionality of facial/voice recognition and depth perception.

You mean like this?

sony-chart-415-1.png

InaudibleWhispa said:
Hmm, not a massive fan of Kinect but I don't hate it. It's acceptable :p

The problem of this name is that there were a line of first party EyeToy products named Kinetic.

And the last that Microsoft wants is EyeToy comparations and references.

DangerousDave said:
The problem of this name is that there were a line of first party EyeToy products named Kinetic.

That'll be an issue with only Sony trolls for a couple of days. That really isn't something to stop them going with the brand.

DangerousDave said:

Hmmm...most people don't even know what an EyeToy is. Sure it wouldn't be a problem if it was the name.

Most of these console and device names are usually not so great when I first hear them. I didn't care for most of the current console names at first.

Playstation? Sounds like a Fisher-Price toy.

XBOX? Wut? Direct X-box? smh@MS

Wii? :lol What are those fools at Ninty thinking?

Dreamcast? You gotta be kidding. What happened to cool names, Sega?

Kinect sounds better than Move, IMO. At least it's an uncommon word with an uncommon, special spelling that makes it stick a little easier. Guess we'll find out in a few hours.

RedStep

DangerousDave said:

A) They're two different words.

B) I'm fairly sure that the public at large does not remember the EyeToy or any related software.

I'm not in love with Kinect, but it works well enough.

Alcander

I actually quite like the name "kinect". Seems like it would be easier to brand (assuming it sticks) given that its a unique 'word'.

Not quite as sold on the leaked slim, if thats indeed what it will look like.

Feep

Banned
All right, GAF, I'm off to go eat a quick early dinner and head over to the Galen Center. Remember, I won't be directly posting on GAF (too slow, eats battery), so I'll be updating my Twitter account @Feep. Tune in to see all the wacky hijinks!

Feep said:
All right, GAF, I'm off to go eat a quick early dinner and head over to the Galen Center. Remember, I won't be directly posting on GAF (too slow, eats battery), so I'll be updating my Twitter account @Feep. Tune in to see all the wacky hijinks!
Have fun!

Feep said:
Have fun! And don't forget to update us on Rare's Natal game(s)!

Ding

WasteLand Soldier said:
seems my source was right after all. :)
Don't get cocky, kid! :D

So... "Kinect" ain't a bad name. Kinda catchy. Easy to say. However, it's obviously meant to sound like, and evoke, the word "connect". (A near-homonym) My feeling has always been that Natal is more of a control tool, as opposed to a communication tool, so that doesn't make a ton of sense.

It is a web-cam, though. And it allows you to make a direct connection to the console and games, with no controller acting as an intermediary.

Yeah, okay. That works pretty well as a name.

Top Bottom