• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

kizmah

Just finished Olberic's part of the demo and already this is day 1 for me. I absolutely loved it. Battle system is great, boost mechanic adds such a lovely flow to the whole proceeding. Love the graphical style and music is lovely. The whole thing just oozes old school charm on a level that I am Setsuna (another jrpg on Switch) never reached, and I actually really liked I am Setsuna. But this is on a whole other level.

I haven't got the survey but my feedback would be to tone down the vignette and dof just a bit, make the colors more distinct and make the cutscenes skippable. Oh, and change the tile of the game.

MartyStu

The issue with the colors is really important. They do not need to be super vibrant, but some increased level of saturation would be appreciated.

Mory Dunz

How much does boosting buffs affect it.

Like Olbreic's Attack buff. Is using 4x boost on it worth it. That's pretty much the only question I have. I didn't feel like doing the math to see. My guy says no, but I did boost it a few times with 1 or 2x boost....

Exentryk

How much does boosting buffs affect it.

Like Olbreic's Attack buff. Is using 4x boost on it worth it. That's pretty much the only question I have. I didn't feel like doing the math to see. My guy says no, but I did boost it a few times with 1 or 2x boost....

I used 4x boosts for Abide to beat the 5 star villagers with relative ease. I didn't measure the difference in each boost though, but was able to beat those guys in one to two hits.

kizmah

The issue with the colors is really important. They do not need to be super vibrant, but some increased level of saturation would be appreciated.

I get the style they're after but I feel that the game comes of as unnecessarily dour. Olberic's starting village is way to brown and grey and the desert comes of as to monochromatic. Just make the colors slightly more distinct and vibrant.

I guess this goes for the whole style of the game. I love it but it's overly stylised. It's a good starting point though if they consider the serveys because there certainly seems to be a consensus here.

Golnei

Decided to play some of Olberic's story after all - I tried to go in with an open mind, but it's hard to not see it as a step down. Maybe that's due to the two significant VA mistakes - Philip is a disaster, obviously; but Olberic's VA is outperformed by pretty much every random NPC. Swapping him with Erdhardt's actor would go a long way towards making his dialogue more tolerable - I hope none of the other 6 protagonists miss the mark as badly.

The music still seems as strong as before, however. And the duel mechanic is cute - I kind of want to be able to duel the sheep...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
As I said, as a woman posting online with an opinion, I've had similarly vile misogyny thrown at me (and seen even worse thrown at others) that makes this character sound rather tame. *shrugs*
Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. Compare any well written villain in fiction to this guy. This guy is basically your average loser on the internet level of evil.

Shahadan

I'm not sure why you people want a morally complex pimp that you'll kill in the next 15 minutes regardless.
The point of the character is to be quickly despicable so you want to both
a)kill him asap
b)get a reason for Prim to take her story in her own hands and free herself

I mean that's what good writing is, not giving the pimp a complex backstory full of tragedies and reinventing tropes just for the sake of it.
By the way I remember a npc in town giving you just that anyway, he talks about the pimp's sister and how he changed or something. Point is, it's optional and maybe Prim or another char will stumble on that later in the game. Or not. Who cares for now.

Same thing with Olberic. The game is giving you teh choice to roleplay a honorable knight, that's the point, that's what you get at the start because that's what you're supposed to want to play as. He'll defeat bandits, inspire some kids by saving them and their village, and you'll honorably duel some people along the way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not sure why you people want a morally complex pimp that you'll kill in the next 15 minutes regardless.
The point of the character is to be quickly despicable so you want to both
a)kill him asap
b)get a reason for Prim to take her story in her own hands and free herself

I mean that's what good writing is, not giving the pimp a complex backstory full of tragedies and reinventing tropes.
Agreed.
By the way I remember a npc in town giving you just that anyway, he talks about the pimp's sister and how he changed or something. Point is, it's optional and maybe Prim or another char will stumble on that later in the game. Or not. Who cares for now.
That's a different character, it's about the thug who is harassing the merchant. If you bring his sister to him
the amnesiac girl in the tavern
he will stop harassing the merchant.

Shahadan

That's a different character, it's about the thug who is harassing the merchant. If you bring his sister to him

Okay I wasn't sure if I remembered correctly. I stand corrected then!
I avoided side stuff I prefer to wait for the full game for that

Agreed.

Oh didn't realize there are at least 2 ways to solve that quest then, since
Olberic can duel with the other merchant who hired the thugs

Mash83

Really liked the demo, the artstyle is just fantastic.

I got the survey, Im glad devs are doing this before the game releases.

FF3(VI) remake in this style would be insane. So happy to see Square still interesting in making these kinds of games.

wow. that is not at all how I dealt with that sidequest. I duelled the guy, then duelled his boss at the market, and they all pissed off lol.

It's great that there are multiple ways to complete sidequests. I was not expecting this level of design from such a game. It's only making me more excited to play the final game.

Played Olberic's story about an hour today, and won't continue playing.

I think I'll buy this game, I really liked the vibes and absolutely loved that darkness in the corners (vignette?). It makes the whole game seem like a story or something.

And the short audio that mismatch with the subs? That is a staple of RPG genre since at least Baldur's Gate. I never had any problems with them, but the Japanese VO sounds (once again) better so I changed to that. EN Olberic had such a "good knight" voice though.

Fights took a tad too long IMO, but then again you take a lot of hits too. If they tuned HP down for all, it would make things harder to manage.

UI (in shops etc.) is a little clumsy but that's a sacrifice if one wants to play RPGs on a console. Easily the worst aspect of console RPGs. At least it worked and was pretty logical.

Raven117

I didn't know I wanted a "modern" sprite based RPG that throws back to the Square glory days (music included).

I instantly liked it.

MutFox

Banned
Finished both Prim and Berg.
Game is pretty good.

Even recruited both just for the hell of it.
Spent over 2 hours on that demo easily.

Zero²

I think this is the first game that made me wish to have a switch, this kind of RPGs specially with this art-style have a special place in my heart...

finalflame

Gold Member
New game

Unless you just want to recruit her with Olberic, but that's just for gameplay stuff, if you want to see her story you have to start a new game

Thanks!

How would recruiting her work? I finished the Olberic storyline and someone said something about being able to go visit a desert to the east, and I explored in that direction but haven't quite found it. Not sure if I should keep looking.

Shahadan

Thanks!

How would recruiting her work? I finished the Olberic storyline and someone said something about being able to go visit a desert to the east, and I explored in that direction but haven't quite found it. Not sure if I should keep looking.

It's to the west lol
Still remember that you have separate save slots so you can do Primrose's story and then play around with Olberic later
Or even recruit Olberic with Primrose instead.

pswii60

I read if you hold the button, you eventually can fast forward cutscenes in the demo? Someone verify this.
Ugh, I got so bored trying to skip through the intro. Too talky for me and really, really hate the art style. It's all a bit dull really. Incredibly surprised at the number of posts in this thread. Just not for me.

rudger

Only part way through Olberic's story and enjoying the game so far, but does anybody else think the simple act of walking is kind of annoying? It's slow in both speeds, but more importantly it's very difficult to judge what constitutes a wall that will stop the player in their tracks. It would be better if the player slid towards a direction rather than stopping dead like some games do.

Red

I’ve seen complaints about the DoF effect. I wouldn’t want to lose it. It goes a long way to evoking a pop-up storybook or moving diorama. It suits the visual style.

Top Bottom