• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

if i download and play the demo and then want to play the full game, can i carry over my progress?

also, it seems you select and play as one primary character and encounter the others throughout the game? so this isnt like wild arms where you play each character's intro and then that becomes the party, right?

sorry if these questions have been answered already, i didnt see them in the OP and the thread has gotten pretty long.

if i download and play the demo and then want to play the full game, can i carry over my progress?

also, it seems you select and play as one primary character and encounter the others throughout the game? so this isnt like wild arms where you play each character's intro and then that becomes the party, right?

sorry if these questions have been answered already, i didnt see them in the OP and the thread has gotten pretty long.

The demo is basically a beta for a game that could be a year away. No one really knows how the full game will work yet, although there is a character select screen at the beginning of the demo.

Shahadan

Little chance the save carries over but if they add a skip button like they probably should it won't take a long time to start over
We'll know more about the gameplay specifics next week but from what we can gather you pick a character indeed and then you can recruit the other ones. We just don't know if you experience their story then (I doubt you will though)

The Dude

I'm all for a whole new slew of throwback games tbh, I love modern graphics and games etc... But I miss and love the simplicity of old school gaming, we need more.

Decided to play some of Olberic's story after all - I tried to go in with an open mind, but it's hard to not see it as a step down. Maybe that's due to the two significant VA mistakes - Philip is a disaster, obviously; but Olberic's VA is outperformed by pretty much every random NPC. Swapping him with Erdhardt's actor would go a long way towards making his dialogue more tolerable - I hope none of the other 6 protagonists miss the mark as badly.

The music still seems as strong as before, however. And the duel mechanic is cute - I kind of want to be able to duel the sheep...
I honestly don't want good voice acting in this game. There's a throwback quality to the voice acting that moves me, even if it's objectively poor. It's like we're really back in the 90s. This game is voiced the way it should be.

Golnei

I honestly don't want good voice acting in this game. There's a throwback quality to the voice acting that moves me, even if it's objectively poor. It's like we're really back in the 90s. This game is voiced the way it should be.

I don't find either of them really adding to the 'charm' - especially since they're outliers in an otherwise competent enough cast. What you're describing would be closer to the VA for the other dancers in Primrose's route, which were appropriate for their small role, as was Helganish's cartoon villainy.

Philip being inhumanly irritating and Olberic delivering flat and wooden line reads compared to characters within the same scene (including unnamed minor NPCs) really isn't something that improves the experience as a whole.

Negator

Did anyone else feel really stupid when you realized Olberic could switch between sword and spear on the fly, and found out only after killing the boss?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Old-school Final Fantasy games don't allow you to amp your actions with expendable resources. Showing enemy HP in Octopath would allow for more informed usage of the boost mechanic.

When fighting multiple enemies, boost an AoE after breaking everything to deal insane damage.

What's the AOE? Magic?

brad-t

So where can I go after beating Olberic's campaign and recruiting Primrose? Someone mentioned a shrine to the east but I found demo-gating NPCs everywhere I went.

I don't find either of them really adding to the 'charm' - especially since they're outliers in an otherwise competent enough cast. What you're describing would be closer to the VA for the other dancers in Primrose's route, which were appropriate for their small role, as was Helganish's cartoon villainy.

Philip being inhumanly irritating and Olberic delivering flat and wooden line reads compared to characters within the same scene (including unnamed minor NPCs) really isn't something that improves the experience as a whole.
Totally.

There's a huge contrast in quality between the two scenarios. I played Olberic's path first and thought this was a neat throwback RPG with some pretty mediocre writing and voice acting; then I played Primrose's path and was blown away by the dark writing and great voiceover performances.

What's the AOE? Magic?
"Attack on everyone," "area of effect," just another way to say a move that affects the entire [enemy] party.

DMiz

So where can I go after beating Olberic's campaign and recruiting Primrose? Someone mentioned a shrine to the east but I found demo-gating NPCs everywhere I went.

In that area with the demo-gating NPCs, just keep exploring that screen.
You should be aiming to head to the middle and the topmost section - you will eventually find an NPC who tells you that you shouldn't go in unless you have two party members.

It's fairly hidden, but you will find it with vigilance! Make sure to bring tons of healing items.

Re: the voice actors, Olberic's voice sounded so familiar to me that it was a bit distracting. I haven't looked it up yet, but i imagine that once I see the name, it will hit me as someone who's done a lot of JRPGs over the years and has generally handed in a very similar performance. It was neither good nor bad; just something I've heard and have had expectants set for before.

Phillip, though, is a monstrosity.

Re: how the playable characters work, I have a feeling that it will work quite similarly to SaGa Frontier, with each main playable character having their own story. You pick up other characters, some of whom are part of the main 8, and they contribute to your party while you complete that party member's 'quest'. (This is a similar system to how things worked in Romancing SaGa 2 and 3).

What I do hope is that there is an option for side-quest completion to 'carry' over, and that completing one member's story allows you to basically continue the game as another character and to have side-quests 'finished' or at least 'stream-line' in some fashion.

However they handle it, I was having a blast with this game and my significant other loved it. Looks like a cozy game to be playing together.

DMiz

Is there any way to see how much hp is left on enemies while attacking?

Not at present.

Is the demo worth a play through? I really don't know much about this game plus have limited experience with JRPGs

Yes!

There are two opening chapter available for you to play. I got my significant other to go through both and, with some gentle coaching, got them through each chapter in approximately 30-40 minutes.

The tutorial screens that pop up do the job of showing you what you need to do.

I would say that Olberic probably has the more straight-forward path that is easier to comprehend, as well as building you up appropriately for the boss battle. Primrose has the more interesting plot going on, though, and is the one that takes a little less time to get through.

Wedzi

Banned
Not at present.

Yes!

There are two opening chapter available for you to play. I got my significant other to go through both and, with some gentle coaching, got them through each chapter in approximately 30-40 minutes.

The tutorial screens that pop up do the job of showing you what you need to do.

I would say that Olberic probably has the more straight-forward path that is easier to comprehend, as well as building you up appropriately for the boss battle. Primrose has the more interesting plot going on, though, and is the one that takes a little less time to get through.

Thanks for the response! The art style alone really intrigues me so I guess I'm in lol

Is the demo worth a play through? I really don't know much about this game plus have limited experience with JRPGs

Totally worth playing the demo. I went in knowing nothing aside from being curious about the art style and was quickly hooked.

I have very little experience with JRPGs and have only finished a handful since the NES era (Final Fantasy 7, Skies of Arcadia...)

Did Primrose's path - I'm getting serious SaGa Frontier vibes from this game with the character selection, watercolor portraits and ability to recruit other mains. Aside from some obviously beta-y things about it (long load times, sluggish-feeling menus) the game looks, runs and sounds great. Really looking forward to the full thing now, this is a perfect title for Switch.

tkscz

Alright, I beat both stories and
went into the shrine, but all I found in there were treasure boxes. Is there something I'm supposed to do there? Maybe get a villager who can read the tomb stone?

I think this already good looking game would benefit from reducing the bokeh effect ever so slightly. To me it appears to be just a touch strong.

Very slightly.

Is there anything else to do in Olberic's Quest once you reach
Sunshade?
I've already gotten
Primrose and saved the merchant's shop
but doesn't seem like theres anything else to do.

linko9

I think this already good looking game would benefit from reducing the bokeh effect ever so slightly. To me it appears to be just a touch strong.

Very slightly.

Yeah, just a smidge or 500. Seriously infuriates me that they aggressively blur all but a tenth of the screen. At least battles aren't as bad. Exploration is honestly made much more difficult than it should be because you can't clearly see anything that's not right next to your character.

Zedark

Where did they send the surveys out to?

To your email linked to your nintendo account. But not everyone seems to have received one (I haven't), so it's a bit unclear if everyone will get one (maybe they are sending them out in batches to be more manageable?).

Akai

Re: the voice actors, Olberic's voice sounded so familiar to me that it was a bit distracting. I haven't looked it up yet, but i imagine that once I see the name, it will hit me as someone who's done a lot of JRPGs over the years and has generally handed in a very similar performance. It was neither good nor bad; just something I've heard and have had expectants set for before.

If you've played Xenoblade Chronicles X, he played Doug...

Zarovitch

Finish Primrose story. I think this game will be day one. I like the story, it was rough story, but interresting. I dont remember playing an rpg with this kind of story.

They need to make font bigger, description of object could be easier to read.
I would like that they increase the running speed. Maybe less bloom.

DMiz

If you've played Xenoblade Chronicles X, he played Doug...

I looked it up! It's Patrick Seitz.

The games weren't coming to me, but scrolling through the other places where I recognized him from were as Mondo Zappa in Killer is Dead and Greg from Wild Arms V. He's definitely done the block around.

I do have to say, like most voice actors, his headshot doesn't match what I envisioned him to look like based on his voice -- but i imagine that this is common when thinking about most of the voice actors and actresses that I've actually seen in real life in contrast to what I think they look like.

Exentryk

Familiar faces.

rfd4fD0.jpg

To your email linked to your nintendo account. But not everyone seems to have received one (I haven't), so it's a bit unclear if everyone will get one (maybe they are sending them out in batches to be more manageable?).

Okay. I was waiting for an email but never got one.

ggx2ac

Went to play for a bit.

Laughed when Olberic used 4x BP.

"My blade is unbending!"

I can't stop laughing about that now.

NoKisum

How long is the survey good for? I have the day off tomorrow so I can give it time to play, but also want to leave proper feedback.

Type_Raver

Not sure if you all were aware of, but I noticed this in my play through last night.
Initially, i was a bit frustrated not knowing how many more rounds it would take until i defeated an enemy, because theres no traditional energy bar.

But, if you look at the number in the blue shield next to the enemy, it does go down as the battle goes until they're defeated!

DJrfVraU8AAiHUJ.jpg:large

Top Bottom