• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Versus J Debut Screenshots & Artwork

Kusagari

One of these days Jump will realize Toriko is never going to be as popular as OP/DBZ/Naruto and they'll go on to push other series that are more likely to resonate with a mass audience.

DB/Z: Series about martial artist who search for 7 objects that'll grant any wish

Easy to grasp, easy to connect to

Naruto: Series about a rookie ninja training to become the best

OP: Series about pirates searching for the ultimate treasure

Toriko: Series about people who hunt rare animals/spices to make 5 star meals

Not easy to grasp, not easy to connect to

Really the biggest mistake Toriko made was casting it's main protagonist as already one of the best in his series. SJ's fan base is all about watching our hero go from boy with big dreams to most bad ass character ever see damn near every Jump manga ever.

What? Toriko is nowhere near the upper echelon characters at the start of the manga and he still isn't.

Yeah, he's established as a pretty strong dude at the beginning but so is Goku.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How is wanting to create the best meal ever not easy to grasp/connect with?

Yeah. Toriko's straightforward as it gets, and at least he's a "genius" in his craft - much better than the dumb protagonist we have. And I like it that he's sorta like Kenshiro in that he knows his skills but at the same time capable of learning more.

Reeks of Bobobo and Ultimate Muscle.... Which may not be a bad thing, but ill pass...

The OP is sung by fucking AKIRA KUSHIDAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

survivor

Banned
Toriko's biggest problem is the atrocious art style. Maybe if they made something pleasing to look then more kids will start buying your manga

Defuser

I just realized Toriko, One Piece and Dragonball are animated by Toei, maybe they're the ones that are pushing it as the big three?

SykoTech

What? Toriko is nowhere near the upper echelon characters at the start of the manga and he still isn't.

Yeah, he's established as a pretty strong dude at the beginning but so is Goku.

I believe his point is that Toriko starts off as a well-known and respected guy (Heavenly King), while the likes of Goku and Luffy were just nobodies with some strength.

I believe his point is that Toriko starts off as a well-known and respected guy (Heavenly King), while the likes of Goku and Luffy were just nobodies with some strength.

This ^

Also the art style looks great to me, its just the the premise of the show... I mean it seems too goofy like bobobo and ultimate muscle... It just seems very shallow overall. But maybe as the series goes on it will change...

Trust me I was not sold on One Piece till the Arlong Park arc and that took a while, but theres a reason why OP is so popular.

A.E Suggs

Because opinions man. everyone has one and they can all be different.

You can have an opinion without it being a one liner about how something sucks and not saying why. I also never said they all had to be the same just that why can't they be more reasonable especially since were talking graphics.

KillGore

Why are people so against Toriko? It's a pretty cool manga.

Also, Toriko was inspired by DBZ, just like Naruto and One Piece were (and Bleach, to a lesser extent)

Anyways, all that I need to make this a perfect game is to have Bleach and Yu Yu hakusho characters (not counting Naruto because that picture basically confirms Naruto)

Takao

Banned
CC2 makes the most beautiful boring games. The Naruto games are gorgeous visually, but playing them? nothankyou.jpg

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Toriko's still being pushed as hard as it is. The manga sales are "meh", the TV ratings are kind of weak in comparison to the show it leads in to, and the show it replaced. Merchandise sales must be saving its' ass or it'll be chopped soon enough. Thinking about it, I'm also a bit surprised an author with such an ... interesting history like Toriko's even got a shot at making such a big series.

Takao

Banned
CC2 makes the most beautiful boring games. The Naruto games are gorgeous visually, but playing them? nothankyou.jpg

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Toriko's still being pushed as hard as it is. The manga sales are "meh", the TV ratings are kind of weak in comparison to the show it leads in to, and the show it replaced. Merchandise sales must be saving its' ass or it'll be chopped soon enough. Thinking about it, I'm also a bit surprised an author with such an ... interesting history like Toriko's even got a shot at making such a big series.

Yeah this, there is a reason a lot of people over in the manga topic say Komatsu is the series actual main character lol

Westlo

Who follows wrestling even a little bit? Toriko is so the Sheamus of the WSJ.

One of these days Jump will realize Toriko is never going to be as popular as OP/DBZ/Naruto and they'll go on to push other series that are more likely to resonate with a mass audience.

I'm pretty sure they know by now that Kuroko and Assassination Classroom shit over Toriko in regards to popularity.

Top Bottom