• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2 : Brave New World unveiled [trailer]

Videoneon

Hmm I'm not exactly sure myself! Just alil silly worrying earlier in the thread what with the worldwide annoucement an all.

Yeah, I was playing with the idea myself. I mean it's a concept that we all sort of vaguely understand but don't know specifically what it means. It's obviously happened before (changing of Nintendo boxarts with Kirby etc., changing of Gunvolt's design) but what it may mean in this situation is an interesting idea

I figured by now the revealed screenshots established Vergil is Dante's teammate.

I wouldn't be too surprised if some newer character to the series meets Dante and claims to have expected someone with darker hair or something, or some comment about a supposed half-angel ancestry.

The Resident Evil and Yakuza characters are "grounded", male and badass enough to meet standards/stereotypes of modern western games - maybe that's part of the reason to reveal them first, as PXZ's western success appears to have been a surprise, considering how unlikely its localization seemed at one point. So the game's being promoted based on what Japan thinks western players might like?

I still hope they manage to sneak in more classic and comparatively whimsical characters like Valkyrie and Arthur - NxC was great about covering and blending together many different character and setting tones, PXZ less so, but still compromised well... I hope that charm won't be lost.

For Namco, technically KOS-MOS and T-elos are gynoids.... still, I'm curious to see the gender ratio on the following reveals.

I'm practically expecting Ryu to team up with a female character (in part to make up for some of the other team changes) - it got kinda boring to see him next to the identically-dressed Ken all the time.

In normal circumstances Dante and Dimitri, as well as KOS-MOS and T-elos, would have been at each other's throats - I'm looking forward to the explanation the game comes up with.

In NxC, Kazuya was always in devil form (actually, a devil perosnality was overriding his own there), and he spent some time trapped at by the Ghosts'n Goblins and Tower of Druaga villains - he might have a score to settle, and red arremers are classic infernal fodder in these games...

The asset reuse now does make me wonder if former teammates of character who changed teams will now get to be assist units - or/and if solo units will work differently.

In PXZ's engine there was functionally no reason for regular units to be paired, other than to make attacks look cooler (and you assigned them equipment as if they were a single character too...), so older once-paired units would now have the same amount of commands to work with in the battle screens...

Yeah I was joking about implying you were asking for a double Dante team, but I understand my tone came across as ambiguous.

Re: Kos-mos and t-elos, technically you're right but they're clearly made in the image of certain genders (hence, gynoid) and are often referred to with gendered pronouns as far as I'm aware. Keep in mind I haven't played any Xenosaga games but it's just loose stuff I've seen from fans.
wasn't Kos-mos supposed to be some sort of analogue to Mary Magdalene?
It's clearly different but for the sake of rough classification it's not a significant transgression to identify them as female to the end of figuring out demographics. Same as with X and Zero. There's a reason why fans classified their pairings as yaoi

As for Ryu, within the mythos of Street Fighter I think Ken is the obvious pick, and the only other one I can think of is...Sakura? Chun-Li? But Chun-Li and Ryu don't strike me as all that tight, they just know of each other. I agree that there's a decent chance that Ken gets replaced though.

thanks for all of your other comments though, esp the comment on Kazuya's history in NxC. I definitely agree with the last point, on a conceptual level. There's no "essence" that separates a solo unit/pair unit except for the gameplay limits that they were given.

TheMoon

hmm, but still could be considered a Nintendo game?
it was the reason many people were saying the game cant leave 3DS, after all.

Maybe they have less influence than i thought, wich means less chance of Bayonetta,

From what I can tell, actual Nintendo has zero involvement in this beyond signing off on MLSI dedicating resources to working on this maybe in exchange for platform exclusivity. But none of their producers, supervisors or anything is working on it since they're not involved in the publishing or marketing at all, they just have one of their subsidiaries developing it. This is similar to Brownie Brown (RIP), I'd say. Nintendo owned them but they made games for/with Square Enix, Level-5, Mistwalker. All in all, I'd definitely not consider it a "Nintendo game."

Loona

As for Ryu, within the mythos of Street Fighter I think Ken is the obvious pick, and the only other one I can think of is...Sakura? Chun-Li? But Chun-Li and Ryu don't strike me as all that tight, they just know of each other. I agree that there's a decent chance that Ken gets replaced though.

IIRC NxC had a subplot of Druaga trying to capture Sakura (who was in that game) and Wonder Momo because of their pure young souls or something like that - I'm no fan of Sakura (Makoto all the way for me), but if that sort of thing applied again, it would justify Ryu keeping tabs on her.

Dammit, now I want Makoto in as the SF female rep, but Chun-Li tend to have a pretty tight grip on these things...

Then again, this is from the guys who covered Rival Schools in NxC and only used the teachers, and now only seem to represent Soul Calibur with Taki's apprentice...

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Soul Edge itself, as in the sword, will be a plot point again like in NxC - it was pretty neat how it was depicted there as a sentient entity that could cross dimensions on its own, but could also be used to enable that sort o travel, kind of like the Subtle Knife in the His Dark Materials books. It put a neat twist on all those guest characters in the SC games.

Natsu being in sort of makes me wish for the return of Bravoman, since that one merged so well with the rest of the Namco settings - the villain from that game worked for Heihachi, which fit Tekken's sillier side, and Waya-Hime's techniques there were based on Taki's style, which is the sort of thing that might get subtle referenced in PXZ2.

Fighter Roar in the game pls.

Yeah it seems they're bringing back the focus to them... which should have been in the first place since NxC is their game and PxZ sorta follows that.

And yep, Tatsumaki Zankantou. Maybe Ratsel piggybacks Zanger lol

And I know, but they declared love damnit!

I am now picturing a human version of this, and it's hilarious.

filchNY.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seeing that pic reminds me that all the different character interactions before & after battle was one of my favorite parts of the game & part of the reason why I'd continue to experiment with switching solo units around with different team units.

Eolz

Seeing that pic reminds me that all the different character interactions before & after battle was one of my favorite parts of the game & part of the reason why I'd continue to experiment with switching solo units around with different team units.

It also makes a lot of sense about why some characters are solo units too.
Leon for example is probably the RE character the most likely to have some witty remarks about other characters
if you don't count Ada maybe

Loona

Same - I just wish there was less overlap between some of the skills of pair and single units sometimes, it just discourages some that would make sense, like Batsu with Ryu&Ken.

You know what I'd really like? An unlockable visual novel mode where you could just view the text dialogue at your leisure, to make it easier to view again some scenes like Devilotte meeting Flynn and wishing he were 40 years older (since she has this weird fixation on Gawaine from Cyberbots, who's old enough to be her grandfather).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You know what I'd really like? An unlockable visual novel mode where you could just view the text dialogue at your leisure, to make it easier to view again some scenes like Devilotte meeting Flynn and wishing he were 40 years older (since she has this weird fixation on Gawaine from Cyberbots, who's old enough to be her grandfather).
Hell yes. Someone was thankfully nice/patient enough to either type them all or record them & put it on YouTube. They were great, but damn, because of the randomness, it was hard to tell which pairings had unique dialogue. I would seriously enjoy being able to view them in-game via a separate mode.

The best you could hope for was that practice/training mode & just keep exiting in & out.

Loona

Hell yes. Someone was thankfully nice/patient enough to either type them all or record them & put it on YouTube. They were great, but damn, because of the randomness, it was hard to tell which pairings had unique dialogue. I would seriously enjoy being able to view them in-game via a separate mode.

The best you could hope for was that practice/training mode & just keep exiting in & out.

But there are already videos with those pre-battle intros - for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0s45SgaJgI

What really amazes me is that somebody translated all of Namco X Capcom and put the entire script on GameFAQs, even if that has some typos and odd misspellings: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/926007-namco-x-capcom/faqs/47929

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I mentioned there was people who were awesome enough to make those videos. But I remember it took a while before they appeared. Still, props to them for taking the time for doing that. I should see if there's any post-battle interaction videos.

Edit: Oh sweet, the above user also made post-battle dialogue videos as well. I'll have to give those a watch later as well.

Tamanator

From what I can tell, actual Nintendo has zero involvement in this beyond signing off on MLSI dedicating resources to working on this maybe in exchange for platform exclusivity. But none of their producers, supervisors or anything is working on it since they're not involved in the publishing or marketing at all, they just have one of their subsidiaries developing it. This is similar to Brownie Brown (RIP), I'd say. Nintendo owned them but they made games for/with Square Enix, Level-5, Mistwalker. All in all, I'd definitely not consider it a "Nintendo game."

That's true, but I think people are more likely referring to the fact that Nintendo's involvement, in allowing one of their studios to develop the game means that it will only be released on Nintendo platforms (and not Vita), which has been the historic trend with games developed by this Monolith Soft team (which developed Attack of the Saiyans, Super Robot Taisen Endless Frontier and Project X Zone, all for Bamco) as well as the Brownie Brown developed games which you mentioned.

Videoneon

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Soul Edge itself, as in the sword, will be a plot point again like in NxC - it was pretty neat how it was depicted there as a sentient entity that could cross dimensions on its own, but could also be used to enable that sort o travel, kind of like the Subtle Knife in the His Dark Materials books. It put a neat twist on all those guest characters in the SC games.

I'm like 100% convinced there will be

-Soul Calibur team (I would guess...Siegfried/Hilde or Patroklos/Pyrrha)
-Nightmare

Maybe Soul Edge to fight? I forget what's going on with Soul Edge. After Soul Calibur V I know Soul Calibur was destroyed in the game's story. But I thought Soul Edge also existed in fragments

Loona

I'm like 100% convinced there will be

-Soul Calibur team (I would guess...Siegfried/Hilde or Patroklos/Pyrrha)
-Nightmare

Maybe Soul Edge to fight? I forget what's going on with Soul Edge. After Soul Calibur V I know Soul Calibur was destroyed in the game's story. But I thought Soul Edge also existed in fragments

IIRC there are whole characters and weapons in the SC setting with fragments of Soul Edge in them, and they tend to gravitate toward each other - the damn thing is never truly gone.
Also, time travel was a thing as far back as NxC, so there's that too.

I'd like to see Ivy, although I prefer her military alternate outfits to her default ones.
Could be a neat alternate cross-company teammate for Morrigan, and she was in Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos...

But there are already videos with those pre-battle intros - for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0s45SgaJgI

What really amazes me is that somebody translated all of Namco X Capcom and put the entire script on GameFAQs, even if that has some typos and odd misspellings: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/926007-namco-x-capcom/faqs/47929

PLEASE BRING ULALA BACK!! Hell, make her into a Pair unit with someone like Tapioca or the Police lady if you have too, just let her come back.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought they can't use Onimusha cast except for Soki due to having faces looking like real life actors.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It would be like Activision getting 343 to make a Future Warfare game, you'd kinda expect it to be platform exclusive. Or hell, Sony with their support for SF V.

Videoneon

The absence of Sakura is frightening.

Well Chisa Yokoyama was pregnant and had a baby last year. Maybe that might've factored into it? I assume that since the game is releasing worldwide this fall, they must've done most of the work on the game already or a good portion of it

Atrarock

Oh yeah, I have one other request for this game...please run at 60fps. PXZ kind of didn't. It's probably not much, and Namco X Capcom technically has slower pacing in its fighting, but it running at a smooth framerate kind of evened things out ever so slightly....extremely slightly.

cj_iwakura

Well Chisa Yokoyama was pregnant and had a baby last year. Maybe that might've factored into it? I assume that since the game is releasing worldwide this fall, they must've done most of the work on the game already or a good portion of it

Ah. I'll settle for Erica, then.
(Ogami, you philanderer.)

Piers

Hey, yo, wait
Couldn't Digimon be featured as Bandai own some of the rights? Or is that Toei?

Coz I want the Cyber Sleuth cast strutting in and doing cray shit without their Digimon, for max swag

Loona

People mention Persona as a hope due to Sega now including Atlus, but Atlus-wise I think I'd prefer Power Instinct, if that's still theirs.
An Otane and Oume team could be fun and help even the current gender ratio.

Harpoon

http://nintendoeverything.com/project-x-zone-2-devs-on-development-story-improvements-and-surprises/

The previous game was like a road movie with rapidly changing maps, but we received opinions like “I want companions’ episodes to unfold without rushing”. In this game, the story is deeper so please look forward to that.

We received lots of opinions relating to things that affect the gameplay, like the number of enemies in one map and growth elements other than level ups. On the basis of those comments, we are rebuilding the gameplay for this game by adding new elements and improving the old ones in game rules and the system. We are also making the visuals of battle scenes, etc. easier to understand.

By the way, I think there will be surprising announcements in the future, when you think like “Huh? This character from that game!?” I guess the expected and unexpected are neatly mixed (laughs).

Sounds like they took a lot of the criticisms about the first one to heart, which is good to hear.

Mask

I wonder if we'll see any Splatterhouse stuff, maybe Rick Taylor as an ally? He was in Namco X Capcom...

Loona

I wonder if we'll see any Splatterhouse stuff, maybe Rick Taylor as an ally? He was in Namco X Capcom...

He wasn't there, unless I missed a reference as subtle as Firebrand from the Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest games being in as the Red Arremer Joker.

I'm looking forward to see how the gameplay's getting tweaked based on feedback - the mention of enemy amount and clarifying what's going on the battle screen (which gets pretty busy with your 2 characters and 3 assists) is a good sign.

Since they're hinting at unlikely/obscure choices, I'm hoping for some Sega old school 2D stuff that's directly playable, instead of summoned by a 3D character like Ulala.

SigSig

The first one was the most tedious 50 hours I ever spent on a single video game. Absolute borefest. It just dragged on and on.
And yet I couldn't stop. That combo-system with all of it's big numbers and shit is crack-cocaine. Can't wait to sink the same amount of time into the second one.

Eolz

This interview is really promising in terms of gameplay.
Fir the story, I hope they didn't misunderstand, and when they say "deeper", it means better and not necessarily longer :p

Loona

This interview is really promising in terms of gameplay.
Fir the story, I hope they didn't misunderstand, and when they say "deeper", it means better and not necessarily longer :p

It's enough to compare the structure between NxC and PXZ to see how things can improved - in PXZ characters would often literally end a level by opening a door and ending up in a completely different world (sometimes a digital counterpart based on ./hack's The World) because reasons/Portal stone. NxC was more fluid about it and had more connections between each setting.
Maybe part of the issue with PXZ was that the script was written while some of the licenses weren't still fully secure, so they had to be more interchangeable. Now that it succeeded as a proof-of-concept, and internationally at that, hopefully the writers have a more robust base to work with.

SRW also has interesting lessons worth looking into, like optional unlockable units and branching paths - maybe we'll see something like that, if only for series with enough characters in them to make sure they're all represented even if you don't get "secret" units.

TreIII

He wasn't there, unless I missed a reference as subtle as Firebrand from the Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest games being in as the Red Arremer Joker.

I'm looking forward to see how the gameplay's getting tweaked based on feedback - the mention of enemy amount and clarifying what's going on the battle screen (which gets pretty busy with your 2 characters and 3 assists) is a good sign.

Since they're hinting at unlikely/obscure choices, I'm hoping for some Sega old school 2D stuff that's directly playable, instead of summoned by a 3D character like Ulala.

Same. But at the same time, some choices, like Axel and Blaze from Streets/Bare Knuckle make so much sense, it'd be sad if they missed the boat again.

Also, since you bought him up, I'm hoping that they'll just team up Firebrand and Arthur, this time. I mean, it's not as if (apparent) death is final in this series, anyway!

Top Bottom