• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposed Missouri bill would force schools to alert parents when evolution is taught

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search, I swear to God, and did not see this:

http://io9.com/missouri-bill-would-...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

In what may be the first of its kind, a proposed bill in Missouri would require that parents be notified when evolution is being taught to their children at school. They could then pull them from the class. Critics say the bill would "eviscerate" the teaching of biology.

The bill is being sponsored by State Rep. Rick Brattin (R), and it had its first public hearing on February 13th, 2014. Though many anti-evolution proposals are currently being considered across the United States, this one appears to be the only bill — and perhaps the first — that actually mandates parental notification when evolution is being taught to their children. The language of the bill reads like this:

Any school district or charter school which provides instruction relating to the theory of evolution by natural selection shall be required to have a policy on parental notification and a mechanism where a parent can choose to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's instruction on evolution. The policy shall require the school district or charter school to notify the parent or legal guardian of each student enrolled in the district of:

(1) The basic content of the district's or school's evolution instruction to be provided to the student; and

(2) The parent's right to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's evolution instruction.

Speaking to a local TV station two weeks ago, Brattin said, "Our schools basically mandate that we teach one side. It is an indoctrination because it is not objective approach."

So apparently teaching NSTA-approved curriculum is indoctrination. Riiiiight.

Talking Points Memo reports:

Glenn Branch, deputy director of the National Center for Science Education, told TPM that he was not aware of any state legislation that had included a provision that parents be notified if evolution was being taught at their local schools.

"It's an absolute infringement on people's beliefs," Brattin told the Kansas City Star of requiring schools to teach evolution. "What's being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has drawn criticism from those science teacher organizations.

The bill "would eviscerate the teaching of biology in Missouri," Branch said in a statement. "Evolution inextricably pervades the biological sciences; it therefore pervades, or at any rate ought to pervade, biology education at the K–12 level. There simply is no alternative to learning about it; there is no substitute activity."

"The value of a high school education in Missouri would be degraded," Branch said.

Darklord

Banned
billnye1.jpg

Can't wait for those international highschool science debates meets in which we get rofflestomped…but hey at least we're the best in American Football!…*cries*

Dragon

Banned
Cool. Maybe NC can have a bill that will force them to alert parents that they're teaching them shittily because there's more money invested in guns than education in this state.

seriously though, the science community do tend to just handjob each other all day. There needs to be more bill nyes out there 'preaching' science.

remember that nerdy guy in class who didnt talk to anyone else?

yeah hes the "science community" now

sorry cnn wouldnt run with the big study you wrote, too many big words

so if you want them to bring over engineers and stuff to "preach" science for them sure i guess

Toxi

Banned
The worst thing about this for me is that telling parents you're teaching their children evolution in biology shouldn't be a big deal. It's like telling them you're teaching about inertia in physics. It's fucking sad how this is still a problem in 2014.

Cyan

Banned
So apparently teaching NSTA-approved curriculum is indoctrination. Riiiiight.
o_O

Here's a proper news article about this:
http://www.kctv5.com/story/24664815/missouri-lawmaker-wants-to-make-evolution-teaching-optional
Second-term Rep. Rick Brattin, R-Harrisonville, said his bill is an attempt to address his concern about teaching evolution in a way that is more palatable to lawmakers than his last three unsuccessful efforts. The previous efforts would have mandated *how* schools teach evolution, requiring that it be taught alongside a biblical perspective referred to as intelligent design or creationism. This year's effort keeps the curriculum as-is and uses the language of "choice."

"What my bill would do is it would allow parents to opt out of natural selection teaching," Brattin explained. "It would not prohibit the child from going through biology from learning about cell structure, DNA and the building blocks of life."

But two teens from the Cass County town of Adrian said they don't learn anything about evolution at their high school. When asked what they thought about teaching evolution, the one 16-year-old answered, "What's that?" The other explained to the other, "It's whether God is real or not."

They said they think it would be good for students to learn about it.

Not all school districts in Missouri teach evolution. The state Department of Secondary and Elementary Education does not require it. That is up to each locally elected school board.

Four states already have anti-evolution laws on their books.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The worst thing about this for me is that telling parents you're teaching their children evolution in biology shouldn't be a big deal. It's like telling them you're teaching about inertia in physics. It's fucking sad how this is still a problem in 2014.

Hey man, inertia contradicts the fact that God put all matter in motion

Ourobolus

Banned

"Evolution is not taught in the Bible so it shouldn't be taught in the class," he said. "Even if I had to spend some time in jail I wouldn't subject my kids to that nonsense."

Eastwood's kids are already grown, but he said he never had to make that choice because it wasn't an issue when his children were young.

"They didn't teach evolution in the early 90s...that I know of," he said. "Otherwise they wouldn't have been in school."
...I hate people.

I've always mentioned it in threads like this, but I bet most people wouldn't have an issue with evolution if it didn't include humans in it.

The idea that human beings are related to every other animal is absolutely terrifying to some people, since it ruins the idea that we're "unique" and "special". Even progressive religious folks (and religious scientists) still try to get around this conundrum by saying God injected some special soul stuff into human beings at some point. Of course, that's a pretty unscientific claim, but it helps them sleep at night, I guess.

Selner

"It's an absolute infringement on people's beliefs," Brattin told the Kansas City Star of requiring schools to teach evolution. "What's being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

That's funny.
He admits that religion was just pulled out of the the air.

I am not sure how decades of scientific research and study in multiple fields (all arriving at the same conclusion) is "out of the air" though.

I would agree with a bill to do the opposite though.
If a public school is teaching creationism/ID, I would very much want to know.

EDIT:
Not all school districts in Missouri teach evolution. The state Department of Secondary and Elementary Education does not require it. That is up to each locally elected school board.

Four states already have anti-evolution laws on their books.

Hubba-wha? Seriously? WTF. WTFing F.

Leunam

"What's being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

We have people on this very forum that believe the same shit. It's a sad sight when it's brought into the conversation.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They should put a little beeping device next to their fire detectors.

adj_noun

Second-term Rep. Rick Brattin, R-Harrisonville, said his bill is an attempt to address his concern about teaching evolution in a way that is more palatable to lawmakers than his last three unsuccessful efforts.

He's modifying his approach due to outside pressures, thus creating an approach better suited to its environment and more likely to survive.

Lord Fagan

Between this, Rush Limbaugh, homicidal/rapist teenagers, and all the mud and bugs, it's very hard to love and be proud of the state of Missouri. But it's my home, and I have to believe it's not a complete shithole of ignorance and self-induced pain. I just hope the rest of the world doesn't think we're all this dense and numb to reality.

Parents should just assume their kids are being taught evolution. Why announce this? It's like announcing their kids will be taught algebra, English and US history.

Kinyou

But two teens from the Cass County town of Adrian said they don't learn anything about evolution at their high school. When asked what they thought about teaching evolution, the one 16-year-old answered, "What's that?" The other explained to the other, "It's whether God is real or not."

Gahhh... Terrible how for many the entire evolution theory comes down to that.

Why not just teach both and let the kids decide what to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom