• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposed Missouri bill would force schools to alert parents when evolution is taught

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
Gahhh... Terrible how for many the entire evolution theory comes down to that.

Why not just teach both and let the kids decide what to believe.

They don't want to give them the option of common sense. They're scared of losing their children to the Science Devil.

The fact that the teaching of evolution in schools isn't required by the state is what's crazy to me. This guy has pulled this crap before and failed, but not having it as part of a mandated curriculum basically deletes a whole area of knowledge from the horizons of potentially thousands of students.

Lamassu

Banned
This is actually progress, instead of just banning it outright they gave the parents the option to raise their kids as dumb as they are.

Between this, Rush Limbaugh, homicidal/rapist teenagers, and all the mud and bugs, it's very hard to love and be proud of the state of Missouri. But it's my home, and I have to believe it's not a complete shithole of ignorance and self-induced pain. I just hope the rest of the world doesn't think we're all this dense and numb to reality.

Take pride in the good stuff. Micheal Sam, the Cardinals (if you're into that I guess...), you've got a really awesome movie theater in columbia...

Every state has shitty stuff.

Ourobolus

Banned
This is actually progress, instead of just banning it outright they gave the parents the option to raise their kids as dumb as they are.

Thus perpetuating the ignorance. Hooray. Progress.

Then you go down the rabbit hole of "well, they aren't teaching MY version of creationism! How dare they!"

Without any sort of proof or evidence, why bother teaching fiction?

Are you advocating the teaching of intelligent design in public schools? Or are you saying in general to let kids learn both (evolution at school, ID at church) and let them decide that way?

Wilsongt

Well, if you ever wondered why the US ranks so far down the list in terms of Science and math... Here's your answer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This law is fantastic. If you don't get the warning then you take your kid the fuck out of that school.

Thus ensuring an uneducated base incapable of thinking for themselves. The republican way of getting votes and keeping them.

Because it's not science and has no business in public schools.

Kinyou

Are you advocating the teaching of intelligent design in public schools? Or are you saying in general to let kids learn both (evolution at school, ID at church) and let them decide that way?
Not sure what it's like in the US, but in Germany we have "religious education" classes where you learn about the believes of every big religion.

Not sure what it's like in the US, but in Germany we have "religious education" classes where you learn about the believes of every big religion.

Right .. Religious studies. Not religion taught next to science. These people want intelligent design taught next to evolution.

Ourobolus

Banned

We have those classes also. The difference between intelligent design and what you're referring to is that one is taught as a "fact" in a science class and the other is an overview of history and religion.

commedieu

Banned

Religious people want their beliefs taught in a science class, specifically a science class.

They don't understand that the bible's story is not a scientific theory, which can be tested/observed. They think that the word "Theory" is the same as "story." Thus the whole herp-derp 'why not teach it as an alternative.' logic. It isn't an alternative scientific theory. Its a story.

Kinyou

Right .. Religious studies. Not religion taught next to science. These people want intelligent design taught next to evolution.

We have those classes also. The difference between intelligent design and what you're referring to is that one is taught as a "fact" in a science class and the other is an overview of history and religion.
Ah, alright. Putting intelligent design in to a science class would of course be pretty crazy. I assumed those parents were worried about their kids learning nothing about religion at all, didn't think they'd go as far and consider it a science.

commedieu

Banned
didn't think they'd go as far and consider it a science.

welcometothepartypal.gif

Danielsan

Which is good, we have that in The Netherlands as well. It's called educating people on beliefs. It's not however telling you that any of these beliefs are rooted in scientific evidence.

I still can't believe the way a first world country like The United States of America has almost 50% of the population believing in creationism. It's downright laughable.

Ourobolus

Banned
Which is good, we have that in The Netherlands as well. It's called educating people on beliefs. It's not however telling you that any of these beliefs are rooted in scientific evidence.

I still can't believe the way a first world country like The United States of America has almost 50% of the population believing in creationism. It's downright laughable.

Well the other 50% is laughing. Unfortunately the other side just goes, "Laugh at us, will you? We're gonna fucking double down!"

boingball

I think they missed some opportunities here.

When kids are being taught that the earth revolves around the sun, parents should also be notified beforehand.

Patryn

These kids who don't learn about evolution are going to have a rude awakening when they take a genuine college-level science class.

Ah, who am I kidding. Most of the ones who would be pulled would be going to places like Bob Jones and not a real university.

Won

Everytime I click on a thread like this I expect a link to The Onion.

"Evolution is not taught in the Bible so it shouldn't be taught in the class," he said.

Man, I would have done so much better in school if I only needed to learn stuff from one book. :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Well, evolution and creationism aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of credibility, so why elevate creationism at all and have it waste time when the kids could be learning something real instead?

commedieu

Banned
Well, evolution and creationism aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of credibility, so why elevate creationism at all and have it waste time when the kids could be learning something real instead?

just wanna say, I love how completely obvious this is from the outside world looking in.

Its so simple. Yet, we have debates/death threats/court hearings, etc over and over and over again.

the dover case, that ruled creationism isn't science, is an interesting subject to watch if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZzGXnYL5I

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I would have done so much better in school if I only needed to learn stuff from one book. :(

I know, right? Colleges don't want to teach creationism because they'll lose out on all of their textbook bullshit each year!

"Hey, make sure to buy the 2014 version of the Bible, with special parables that can only be found in the BBL 210 textbook for this year!"

kris.

Banned
i'm ready to give up on the whole of the midwest. kansas isn't safe, missouri isn't safe, up north is too damn cold, time to move to a coast

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's with all these US states trying their hardest to revert to the dark ages lately? The sane parts of the US should break away and form a new country where logic and rationality is allowed to rule.

Dali

Unless it's a denominational private school why would they be obligated to teach religious doctrine? I'm as against that as I am not teaching evolution.

Iksenpets

Banned
I think it's a great law if we just drop the part where they can pull the kid out of the class. Then the notice is just sort of like "neener neener we're teaching your kid evolution and you can't stop us lol". That'd be a fun law.

dan2026

Serious question, but do kids in America get taught religious education?

As in learning about all the different religions, their history, beliefs, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom