• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters rip decor of new Brooklyn restaurant with ‘bullet holes’ as offensive

Gallbaro

Banned
Gentrification is the effect of rampant NIMBYISM, not the cause.

As to this "restaurant": I think the proper word to use is racist.

Your are correct. Remember, white landowners have pretty much managed to get all of park slop and Brooklyn heights "persevered" for historical purposes. Increasing their wealth as new competing supply cannot be built. So the white people who cannot afford that area move over to the periphery neighborhoods. Increasing demands for that neighborhoods limited stock.

For those that don't know, Summerhill is a very wealthy neighbourhood of Toronto, and where the restaurant owner came from.
Fucking Canadians.

dream

Local resident Jamal Mohammad, 29, was far less outraged about the restaurant than the protesters.

But he recalled three shootings on Bergen Ave. last year — and didn’t remember seeing any of the Summerhill clientele at the crime scenes.

“I saw none of these organic, gluten-free guys,” said Mohammad. “What’s bad for the community is gun violence.”

God, that's a great line.

ezrarh

When white people fled a lot of the older NYC neighborhoods to distant suburbs, they left minorities and the poor areas that were technically in great locations with many valuable assets. Unfortunately for the residents there and most other major cities, wealthier people are coming back and there's not much they can do about it.

rjinaz

Although in the context it's kinda suss, watermelon cocktails aren't exactly uncommon...

I think for them to just be sold there isn't a huge deal, but if it has been made to stand out, promoted, or one of the only flavor options, I think it's obvious there is other intention other than just offering a watermelon flavored drink.

I do love watermelon cocktails myself. A watermelon marg at the right place is fantastic.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How is this still a thing? How do people stil think that using a fruit eaten by people all over the planet, as a stereotype to negatively paint a particular group isn't one of the most idiotic things ever? You have to be stupid beyond comprehension to use watermelon as an insult and stereotype in the 21st century.

"Haha you watermelon eater!"

You eat them to, and so does he, and she, and those people over there...

"Ah, but it's funny when I make it seem specific to you! Haha!"

Sylas

God, that's a great line.

It's true though. I live in the area and violence is met with a good ol' fashioned shrug. Obviously that doesn't encompass the entire population of the area, but still. What the lady did is shitty but there are better things to put a protest effort towards in a not-so-great area.

I'm just gonna say it, this restaurant is racist as fuck.

Colt 45 in a fucking paper bag for 15 bucks? I just bought one of those the other day for 2, free paper bag.

Different restaurant my dude. She did the wine in a paper bag. Not much better.

I'm just gonna say it, this restaurant is racist as fuck.

Colt 45 in a fucking paper bag for 15 bucks? I just bought one of those the other day for 2, free paper bag.

How is this still a thing? How do people stil think that using a fruit eaten by people all over the planet, as a stereotype to negatively paint a particular group isn't one of the most idiotic things ever? You have to be stupid beyond comprehension to use watermelon as an insult and stereotype in the 21st century.

"Haha you watermelon eater!"

You eat them to, and so does he, and she, and those people over there...

"Ah, but it's funny when I make it seem specific to you! Haha!"

It's the same deal with fried chicken, which is even more bizarre since it's more widespread than watermelon.

Isak_Borg

It's true though. I live in the area and violence is met with a good ol' fashioned shrug. Obviously that doesn't encompass the entire population of the area, but still. What the lady did is shitty but there are better things to put a protest effort towards in a not-so-great area.

I live in the area too!

Support places like food sermon which is locally owned and supports the neighborhood.

entremet

When white people fled a lot of the older NYC neighborhoods to distant suburbs, they left minorities and the poor areas that were technically in great locations with many valuable assets. Unfortunately for the residents there and most other major cities, wealthier people are coming back and there's not much they can do about it.

I know someone that bought a Brownstone in Park Slope during the 80s. Dirt cheap at the time. They rent it out now, but they can easily sell for millions. They're keeping it until they retire for nice nest egg.

The Kree

Banned
Not one person in Becky's life could have told her that this was a bad idea? This isn't Malicious, it's just fucking stupid. You can't be this stupid.

Gattsu25

Banned
Anyone that dines there is as much of an ally as a regular Hannity viewer.

Also, that second image captured my immediate reaction to the thread title.

Lastly, that "Bye Becky" sign 😂

FyreWulff

then stop shooting each other. and by each other I mean the entirety of the US.

How about directing your anger at the lack of gun control?

ke3y6Nn.png

nel e nel

Bushwick is now home to a huge nightlife and party scene. Tons of hipster lol. All the cool kids go there for the big parties instead of Manhattan these days. The Manhattan club scene got boring.

More accurately it got expensive. It slowly morphed into "upscale" bottle service for the B&T crowd.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
She's clueless for certain. But I do think that it's been blown out of proportion. People were talking about burning her store down. "This is a problem a little gas and a match can't fix." Others said she deserved to die. Come on now.

Crayons

Banned
all press is good press. Would've never even heard about this place if it wasn't for the controversy. Shes a marketing genius

Infinite

Been a lot gentrification protest of late in Queens and Brooklyn. Owner was tone deaf of course, but really this is just a tiny sympton of a corrupt NYC wide development practice. Just like SF, it's very hard to build new developments and thus supply and demand kicks in and landlords raising rents.
Yup, which leads to long time residents being displaced and shit like this doesn't at all help

entremet

She's clueless for certain. But I do think that it's been blown out of proportion. People were talking about burning her store down. "This is a problem a little gas and a match can't fix." Others said she deserved to die. Come on now.
Yeah. That’s nuts.

Infinite

People have been constantly protesting and organizing against community violence in that neighborhood since I was small. It's just not sexy enough to make national news headlines. Don't assume because you don't see it it's not happening.

Anyone who goes to a website called Brooklynian is not from Brooklyn. She can get stuffed. The gentrification is on full speed and it's just going to keep pushing natives out of their neighborhoods.

Also a 40oz bottle of wine in a brown paper bag along with the bullet holes is so gross. Seeing an apology stating the owner had no idea it would offend anyone drives me nuts.

brooklyn is long gone and queens is next, especially astoria.

Top Bottom