• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters rip decor of new Brooklyn restaurant with ‘bullet holes’ as offensive

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV3KbcchtgP/

New York menus are corny. And lmao the bullet hole wall and the 40 Rose

fWaTAbQ.jpg

ISOM

It's true though. I live in the area and violence is met with a good ol' fashioned shrug. Obviously that doesn't encompass the entire population of the area, but still. What the lady did is shitty but there are better things to put a protest effort towards in a not-so-great area.

Different restaurant my dude. She did the wine in a paper bag. Not much better.

Violence is random, it's really hard to protest something done by individuals who have no accountability to anyone. It's not like you can go to any specific person and say stop being violent. Which is why people protesting violence by thugs or whatever never made sense to me.

I wouldn't protest this restaurant either but I understand because it is an actual location with people who have to answer for what they're doing.

psyfi

Banned
Fucking gross. Glad the owner's getting shit for it. I hope she puts serious effort into alleviating the harm she's caused and to support the local black community instead of gentrification.

Fucking gross. Glad the owner's getting shit for it. I hope she puts serious effort into alleviating the harm she's caused and to support the local black community instead of gentrification.

Protesting her bar for being insensitive and tasteless is one thing, but what harm has she done exactly?

She just embodies the symptoms of the real harm that's being done, which is people being priced out of their homes.

E-DuB

For those that don't know, Summerhill is a very wealthy neighbourhood of Toronto, and where the restaurant owner came from.
I thought the name choice was interesting. And then I read she was from Toronto and it made perfect sense.....

joe2187

Banned
I remember the day the Panera Bread moved into my home town. I saw VW beetles driving around with factory installed flower holders, bikes with baskets on them and the jogging group that would avoid my house I knew that it was over...

The neighborhood had gone to shit. pretty soon bike lanes were desgnated in our already cramped street, and the crossing guards no longer kept baseball bats near their lawn chairs. The corner store owned by the chinese lady went from "Sunny Liqour" to "Sunny's Bodega" .....

Then the pop up art galleries appeared....they came and went like a bad rash, they would appear anywhere, near the 99 cent store and clog up the sidewalk with hipster themed mid thirties couples trying to be hipster themed younger twenties couples trying to look thirty. The men wearing suspenders unironically with full bushy beards riding down the street on their unicycle to go to the coffee house that used to be a taco place. (They still sell Tacos, only more expensive and a discount on the coffee with two soft tacos)

People even felt safe to walk their dogs now, ( and not pitbulls on chain collars, like actual dogs that people owned for like....comfort and shit) and the colors of these people were the lightest of shades I have never seen before as child....they varied from from pink, to sometimes a bright red and some were as pale as the 1% milk they would give us in the school cafeteria, you know the stuff with barely any calcium, or vitamins and lacking any sort of substance or nutritional value? these people were like 1% milk and they invaded my home.

I weeped for my childhood home, my tears rolled down my face and collected in compost bin situated near every trash can, and walked off like the rest of my neighbors (because the mortgage refused to let me refinance and forced us out our house and by then the property value had skyrocketed and we were the last of the "old ones" left) .

Oppo

I thought the name choice was interesting. And then I read she was from Toronto and it made perfect sense.....

do tell...?

would be interesting to see the reaction if she rebranded it to "Chicagoland" and put up a bunch of old Capone pictures

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Hmmm needs more bullet holes...possibly a body outline somewhere along the walls lmao

Shameless.

Literally shameless.

Like, literally out of an episode of Shameless, where Fiona uses a screwdriver to make "authentic" bullet holes in a beam of Patsy's Pies as a marketing gimmick.

Fuchsdh

She's clueless for certain. But I do think that it's been blown out of proportion. People were talking about burning her store down. "This is a problem a little gas and a match can't fix." Others said she deserved to die. Come on now.

Because it's easier to get upset and protest a stupid shop opening than it is to actually fight for policies to ameliorate rising housing prices.

They've already "lost" Crown Heights and most of Brooklyn; row houses in my shitty part of town are already nearing $1 million. East New York and the Bronx are next.

white people left the cities

minorities gave the cities "flavor"

now they are taking cities back.

If you buy the common tale of gentrifications minorities don't make the areas desirable, artists looking for cheap rent do.

akira28

That's the last place in NY I thought they would've aimed for.

its like when you cover your driveway with those blue tarps before you know a 2 foot snow is coming. When all of the homes are owned by slumlords and rental firms, when you want to get rid of all the people you've used to keep the property afloat, you just get rid of them and move richer people in. Raise the rents to toss them out, and tear the buildings down and build something people actually would like to live in. Then the white people (there are a lot of them you know) who are looking for something new just show up to live in the hip new neighborhood for young upwardly mobiles.

Those poor folks are just the useless snow.

Mahonay

Banned
Because it's easier to get upset and protest a stupid shop opening than it is to actually fight for policies to ameliorate rising housing prices.

They've already "lost" Crown Heights and most of Brooklyn; row houses in my shitty part of town are already nearing $1 million. East New York and the Bronx are next.

If you buy the common tale of gentrifications minorities don't make the areas desirable, artists looking for cheap rent do.
I just moved from Bushwick, on the side that bordered with East New York. So, the shitty non-trendy part of Bushwick. They were trying to raise our 1 bedroom apartment to $2,300. So we moved out and over to Crown Heights (in a much nicer area, for cheaper). It's fucking insane how quickly rent has been climbing here lately.

I have to move all the time whenever the rent spikes.

Fuchsdh

I just moved from Bushwick, on the side that bordered with East New York. So, the shitty non-trendy part of Bushwick. They were trying to raise our 1 bedroom apartment to $2,300. So we moved out and over to Crown Heights (in a much nicer area, for cheaper). It's fucking insane how quickly rent has been climbing here lately.

Come to the no-man's land of Ocean Hill, which neither Crown Heights or Bed Stuy people want to claim (but it's not Brownsville!), and you can get a 2BR for $1500.

I'm sure in five years you won't be able to find anything larger than a studio under $2K though.

Rktk

Gentrification pushes up house prices and displaces poorer people. Only local government can control that, a protest over tacky decor is a waste of time.

Mahonay

Banned
Come to the no-man's land of Ocean Hill, which neither Crown Heights or Bed Stuy people want to claim (but it's not Brownsville!), and you can get a 2BR for $1500.

I'm sure in five years you won't be able to find anything larger than a studio under $2K though.
I'm actually closer to Ocean Hill than I am to the Fanklin Ave area. I'm pretty much right across the Brooklyn Children's Museum. It's quiet over here, I like it. I don't think rent should spike too crazy over here yet. But good to know if we need to bump out again.

Isak_Borg

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Crown Heights and our rent went up ten dollars in the past three years.

Mahonay

Banned
I live in a rent controlled apartment in Crown Heights and our rent went up ten dollars in the past three years.
Hah, yeah I'm hopeful mine won't but we'll see. Things can change rapidly. I remember moving into Ridgewood 8 years ago (Myrtle-Wyckoff area) and being one of the only non-latino people in the area. It was pretty much all families that grew up there. It's insane going back there now, feels like a different wold, especially when you go down Wyckoff towards the Dekalb and Jefferson L stops.

Isak_Borg

Hah, yeah I'm hopeful mine won't but we'll see. Things can change rapidly. I remember moving into Ridgewood 8 years ago (Myrtle-Wyckoff area) and being one of the only non-latino people in the area. It was pretty much all families that grew up there. It's insane going back there now, feels like a different wold, especially when you go down Wyckoff towards the Dekalb and Jefferson L stops.

ha!

I used to live right off of the Jefferson L stop ten years ago above the Wyckoff Star coffee shop (LOS HERMANOS WAT WAT!), and it's insane how much the area has changed. I grew up in Williamsburg, most of my fam is from the Williamsburg-Bushwick area and it's insane what has happened there. Moved to Crown Heights because my wife loves the area but it's totally changing.

Nieghbor who grew up here was hanging outside of the building and was like "Damn man, I never seen so many white people in this hood. Shit done changed." Not angry about it but just like fuck, what is going on.

Mahonay

Banned
ha!

I used to live right off of the Jefferson L stop ten years ago above the Wyckoff Star coffee shop (LOS HERMANOS WAT WAT!), and it's insane how much the area has changed. I grew up in Williamsburg, most of my fam is from the Williamsburg-Bushwick area and it's insane what has happened there. Moved to Crown Heights because my wife loves the area but it's totally changing.

Nieghbor who grew up here was hanging outside of the building and was like "Damn man, I never seen so many white people in this hood. Shit done changed." Not angry about it but just like fuck, what is going on.
Los Hermanos was my shit!! Now there's like super long lines to get a god damn taco.

And yeah, I can tell I'm one of the new white people in the area. Just how it goes.

This part of Crown Heights though has been INSANELY welcoming. People telling me "welcome to the neighborhood" and our neighbors actually talking with us, being friendly. Same neighbors helped our roommate move in that didn't have a lot of help. People on the block looking out for each other. I haven't had that experience here before as a transplant in my 11 years.
Also noticing a lot of Crown Heights folks in here and ya'll should support the local movie theater.
I just looked it up, is it Video Revival?

Christhor

I remember the day the Panera Bread moved into my home town. I saw VW beetles driving around with factory installed flower holders, bikes with baskets on them and the jogging group that would avoid my house I knew that it was over...

The neighborhood had gone to shit. pretty soon bike lanes were desgnated in our already cramped street, and the crossing guards no longer kept baseball bats near their lawn chairs. The corner store owned by the chinese lady went from "Sunny Liqour" to "Sunny's Bodega" .....

Then the pop up art galleries appeared....they came and went like a bad rash, they would appear anywhere, near the 99 cent store and clog up the sidewalk with hipster themed mid thirties couples trying to be hipster themed younger twenties couples trying to look thirty. The men wearing suspenders unironically with full bushy beards riding down the street on their unicycle to go to the coffee house that used to be a taco place. (They still sell Tacos, only more expensive and a discount on the coffee with two soft tacos)

People even felt safe to walk their dogs now, ( and not pitbulls on chain collars, like actual dogs that people owned for like....comfort and shit) and the colors of these people were the lightest of shades I have never seen before as child....they varied from from pink, to sometimes a bright red and some were as pale as the 1% milk they would give us in the school cafeteria, you know the stuff with barely any calcium, or vitamins and lacking any sort of substance or nutritional value? these people were like 1% milk and they invaded my home.

I weeped for my childhood home, my tears rolled down my face and collected in compost bin situated near every trash can, and walked off like the rest of my neighbors (because the mortgage refused to let me refinance and forced us out our house and by then the property value had skyrocketed and we were the last of the "old ones" left) .

giphy.gif

Isak_Borg

Los Hermanos was my shit!! Now there's like super long lines to get a god damn taco.

And yeah, I can tell I'm one of the new white people in the area. Just how it goes.

This part of Crown Heights though has been INSANELY welcoming. People telling me "welcome to the neighborhood" and our neighbors actually talking with us, being friendly. Same neighbors helped our roommate move in that didn't have a lot of help. People on the block looking out for each other. I haven't had that experience here before as a transplant in my 11 years.

I just looked it up, is it Video Revival?

=) Yeah! It's around the corner from me and I try to volunteer there once a week. I'm also helping out at Anyone Comics which is also in our hood.

What does the paper bag mean in a historical context?

Poor/homeless winos would purchase cheap alcohol (such as 40oz bottles of cheap beers like Colt 45 or King Cobra, "Fortified Wines" like Mad Dog 20/20 or Ripple, etc.) from convenience stores, which would typically put the purchase in a cheap brown paper bag. Said purchasers would typically keep the bottle in the bag while drinking it to mask what is being drunk (as drinking in public is illegal in many places). At the price point on that board you could get several such drinks from a local convenience store.

Mahonay

Banned
or as I call it BROSTORIA!

Where fratboys go to die but you have Sunswicks!
HAH. Yeah. I really don't like Astoria. I have some friends out there, but it's too far to go for a neighborhood I hate being in. It's where I first lived when I moved to New York. It's super boring unless you are a bro or are into Euro Trash.

Gallbaro

Banned

This is how gentrification spreads.

Unicorn

How is this still a thing? How do people stil think that using a fruit eaten by people all over the planet, as a stereotype to negatively paint a particular group isn't one of the most idiotic things ever? You have to be stupid beyond comprehension to use watermelon as an insult and stereotype in the 21st century.

"Haha you watermelon eater!"

You eat them to, and so does he, and she, and those people over there...

"Ah, but it's funny when I make it seem specific to you! Haha!"
Welcome to racist stereotypes?

Top Bottom