• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype of cancelled ''Mega Bloks Halo'' Game surfaces (basically ''LEGO Halo'')

Kimgaz

Neo Member
This game could have been a moderate success seeing how much LEGO games sell. I sure as heck would have been interested in this.

pikablu

This game looks really good. It would have probably been a good seller too as I know a lot of younger kids love halo but since the games are rated M their parents won't buy it. This would have certainly been E or T. This easily looks 100x better than the first spartan assault in all aspects.

So was the Mega Blocks company all for this game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey, that looks pretty good.

The fuck is "Mega-Bloks" though?

Second rate Lego.

megabloks-flood-siege-97071-2846.jpg

Voho

This game looks really good. It would have probably been a good seller too as I know a lot of younger kids love halo but since the games are rated M their parents won't buy it. This would have certainly been E or T. This easily looks 100x better than the first spartan assault in all aspects.

Just wanted to point out, Halo 5 was rated T.

FyreWulff

Wars and 5 are T.

It's the reason the Megabloks Halo toys started out as "Halo Wars" branded, so that they weren't attached to an M rated game.

Trup1aya

Man, just can't get over how out of touch MS is.

This game looks incredibly charming, would have only boosted interest in the franchise amongst a younger audience.

I can just see them not make this type of game for fear of alienating their core audience. This would be harmless to the core (probably grow it). Meanwhile we've gotten Halo 4, MCC, and Halo 5 from them, which each mercilessly chipped away at the core in different ways.

Vimes

I find it very noticeable that the environment doesn't clash with the toy elements of the game, despite not being made of bricks. Pretty much every Traveller's Tales Lego game after Star Wars started laying on photorealistic textures and detailed models in the environment, and it looks like crap. I wish the Lego games would do it more like this, the prototype looks beautiful. What a shame this got cancelled.

How Spartan Assault came out and not this is an absolute shock to me.

Yeah, if you wanna talk about "alienating the core" you can start here.

Shame this was canceled. Would've been a great game to play with the nephews from the looks of things.

Oh, and let's keep it real for a moment: I don't buy for a single second that everyone in this thread playing disappointed and saying they would have bought this, would have truly done so, but are instead displaying feigned interest to play into the "Microsoft is out of touch" mantra. A lot of folks would not have bought this no matter how good or fun the footage looked.

Just wanted to point out, Halo 5 was rated T.

Halo was always, like, the softest of soft M games. There was no reason for these games to be rated M. Maybe Microsoft pushed for M because it would make the game seem cooler. But there's nothing in the entirety of Halo that wasn't worse in the canon of T-Rated James Bond games.

Noobcraft

Halo was always, like, the softest of soft M games. There was no reason for these games to be rated M. Maybe Microsoft pushed for M because it would make the game seem cooler. But there's nothing in the entirety of Halo that wasn't worse in the canon of T-Rated James Bond games.
For CE I think it was the blood spatters that put it over into the M rating. By Halo 3 the Mature designation felt unrealistic compared to other M titles. Halo 4 has that one scene that makes an M rating make sense tho.

Borman

The original Halo CE display boxes were rated T. They said it was a mistake or something, but who knows.

RyanW

Bonnie Ross from 343 comments about Halo Mega Bloks(this adds to the convo above about 343 having a hand in this): https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ct/261e7b32-eb42-4c30-abdb-3a18cc8199b4/posts

Over the past few days, footage has recently made the rounds of an exploratory Xbox 360 project we worked on several years ago, known as “Haggar.” Since then, we’ve received a lot of great feedback from the community. Haggar was something we prototyped with our friends at Mega Bloks that focused on the elements of action, exploration and user creativity found within the Halo universe. Haggar had a lot of fun ideas and invention behind it, but ultimately didn’t progress beyond the early prototyping levels that are shown in the recent video. This is just one example of several similar projects we have evaluated throughout the years – a process that we continue exploring on an ongoing basis.

-b

Cranster

Banned
Halo 1 was rated M due to 9/11. The game was originally giving a T for Teen rating but was re-rated by the ESRB after the attacks.

singhr1

I guess the push for the mobile platform w/ Spartan Assault was more important than a console offshoot.

And lol and people comparing the two in terms of gameplay. One is made for 5-10 min chunks of play with touchscreen controls.

_Ryo_

Never been that interested in Halo, this game probably would have changed that. The gameplay looks/feels a bit like Ratchet and Clank. Right up my alley.

Space_nut

OMG seen the gameplay

This is AMAZING!! Why is it cancelled?! You can build any vehicle you like and mod them too?!! Huge levels to roam in

The game looks so good

I would love to play coop with my 4 year old nephew. Such a great way to introduce him into HALO

Alienfan

It looks great to me,but I feel like had the game been released the reception would have been awful. I can just picture the "casuals are running gaming!" / "They're dumbing down Halo" / "Halo Nuts and Bolts" comments. No matter how good the game was, people probably would have complained about it like they did with Banjo Nuts and Bolts.

Yeah I would agree, though they are getting /slightly/ better under Phil. I love the Xbox brand but it needs to grow and expand its IPs badly.

They aren't. They've cancelled more games and closed more studios under him since taking over. Also a lot of Japanese developers have defected since he took over.

What a lovely little gem.

Yet another terrible 343 decision with this game. Just wow.

Instead we got two bland Sarah Palmer mobile games.

Plug was pulled from on high, it seems. Above 343.

More importantly, the idea that the mobile Spartan games somehow replaced this is absurd. Entirely different primary development studio, a tiny fraction of the size/cost, and served a very different purpose (the Spartan games were meant to be boosts to the struggling Windows app store and Windows Phone, and were likely requested to begin development directly by senior MS staff).

105.Will

Maybe they didn't want to take the risk of backlash at selling a rated M franchise as a kid friendly "lego" game spinoff?

Maybe they didn't want to take the risk of backlash at selling a rated M franchise as a kid friendly "lego" game spinoff?

343 could sell Halo ponies at a premium and there'd be less backlash than what they've already dealt with.

Rather see them spin off their silly ideas into other games than put it in main titles.

I doubt it. To be honest, I doubt there would have been much backlash anyway. The Wind Waker debacle happened because of a combination of the Spaceworld demo setting certain expectations along with the fact that Wind Waker was a mainline title, not a spin-off, and thus was seen as being in place of a realistic Zelda. Federation Force was a big deal because it was the first "Metroid Prime" game in like a decade and no proper 4th games was anywhere on the horizon.

As a true spin-off game with Halo 4 recently having been released and Halo 5 in development, with no expectations set for this particular project (since, well, it was an unexpected spin-off) I don't really see fans getting riled up. Besides, people were pretty excited about the old Lego Halo prank.

Halo is not even my type of game, and I would have bought the shit out of this! Looks fantastic and most importantly FUN. IMO it's the kind of exclusive that Xbox is lacking. It's a shame it never saw the light of day.

Sunset overdrive is the game you need . Also made by the same studio as rachet and clank

Oooooo and the Deluxe Edition is currently on sale for $16.50, gonna check out some trailers but I'm proooobably gonna buy it. It's not multiplayer only, right? It's got a story mode?

Edit: Oh shit the sale is only for another 5 hours. WELP gonna bite the bullet. I trust Insomniac as I've loved every Ratchet & Clank game I've played so fingers crossed!

zoukka

Looks polished, but a bit redundant? The charm of lego games is the fact that they have nothing to do with their IP:'s gameplay-wise, this "Lego Halo" looked pretty close to what Halo could be in 3rd person.

Looks polished, but a bit redundant? The charm of lego games is the fact that they have nothing to do with their IP:'s gameplay-wise, this "Lego Halo" looked pretty close to what Halo could be in 3rd person.

there seemed to be more of a platformer focus not present in the mainline games

Top Bottom